• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Artist's Corner

Who's club banner is the best? (see below)

• Eeveelover824

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • colorless-winter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sworn Metalhead

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Azulart

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Callie-Rose

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • extroph

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Kutie Pie

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SailorSketch

Pixel Mage
It rocks. One of my biggest problems when I was drawing in Flash was dealing with wobbly and uneven lines when trying to do the line art, but SAI's Pen tool nips that right in the bud. I'm still relatively new to it myself, but it has already knocked out on of my biggest problem areas in art.

SAI is great for lineart, such smooth lines!! And I just can't deal with photoshop, I dislike how weak the blur tool is and the lack of the watercolour tools. And I have never used Flash, I thought it was mainly for animating?

Yeah, GIMP is a great starting program~ And SAI is beautiful, if you enjoy digital painting but want to have the feel of traditional painting, then go for it! Plus, you can get much smoother line art with SAI, as well as more editing options for each brush/tool.
Cool thanks guys I'm definitely going to give SAI a run.

Here's my first attempt at a digital drawing:
kabutortle_by_comixicon-d77gezg.png
It stinks, I know... ^^'

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
I am amazed at TalonFlame's art! Awesome job. I still haven't see Angel's art, but I'm curious to know how it is.
There's an artist on dA, Xous54, which I love. Man, he's great at this stuff. May I ask if you all had some talent to drawing before? I may want to start on it, but you know, I have 0 talent on it...

Hey, I know Xous54! In fact, I watch him on dA! As for the sig... Not my specialty so I can't help much. XP

@SnazzySwampert

At least you tried! I should know. It's a pain to draw with a mouse... A pain! So at least ypu did your first step. Keep practicing and at least your hand will get used to it. But I'm wondering what program you used. Did you use MS Paint?

@Charred

Actually, I have a tablet that I use to draw. It has a pen which is the only thing it reacts to, so it's not much of a pain. ^^ And no, I used GIMP. :3

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Ah, okay. Seems you just need practice. XD

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
I am amazed at TalonFlame's art! Awesome job. I still haven't see Angel's art, but I'm curious to know how it is.
There's an artist on dA, Xous54, which I love. Man, he's great at this stuff. May I ask if you all had some talent to drawing before? I may want to start on it, but you know, I have 0 talent on it...

Anyway, can someone give me some critique on my new sig? It's down there, haha!
Xous is awesome.
I draw for fun sometimes. Just for fun. And every once in a while (a long while) I get it in Ps and color it and stuff.
"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration." Or something like that. I have yet to find something I am naturally good at, if you practice enough you could be just as good as those who were born with it.
Your sig: are you trying to make the subject stand out more, or the text? If it's the former then you might want to consider shrinking the text or making it stand out less.
Pain to draw with a mouse, yes, but it's not impossible. It just involves a lot of erasing and undoing. Or at least it does for me.

Try and use sprites or 3D models instead of artwork. If you shrink an image too much it loses quality.

Keldminrachi91

Just call me Cooki
I'd like to join the Artist's Corner!

Username: Talonflame
Nickname: Inky (It's my deviantArt nickname)
What art you enjoy doing: Digital~ But I want to get more into pixel and little animated GIFs
How you became interested in art: I saw art on the internet and thought to myself: "I wish I could draw like that..." So I just kept trying

Errmm, I don't know if I'm allowed to contribute until I'm accepted as a member, so excuse my rudeness~

Do any of you have a graphics tablet? I have one, but for many years I was a mouse user and I was happy with that. Also, what programs do people use? I'm a SAI user, but GIMP was the first ever program I used.

I'm not allowed to buy programs, so I only have access to the free ones. I started with Paint.Net (which is now installed on my school's computers, and since it seems nobody knows how to use it, I'm always tutoring someone. :/, but have moved onto GIMP, which is what I use now.

NightKrazy

Fire Queen
Xous is awesome.
I draw for fun sometimes. Just for fun. And every once in a while (a long while) I get it in Ps and color it and stuff.
"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration." Or something like that. I have yet to find something I am naturally good at, if you practice enough you could be just as good as those who were born with it.
Your sig: are you trying to make the subject stand out more, or the text? If it's the former then you might want to consider shrinking the text or making it stand out less.

Pain to draw with a mouse, yes, but it's not impossible. It just involves a lot of erasing and undoing. Or at least it does for me.

Try and use sprites or 3D models instead of artwork. If you shrink an image too much it loses quality.

Ok thanks. I didn't really shrink those pictures though. According to ArtStudio they weren't very big to begin with. What really makes it awkward is that the characters are in the middle. It's difficult for me to do those on an iPod. :/

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
@Toyosatomimi no Miko

I didn't say impossible, right? But yeah, it involves a lot of erasing, undoing, and a steadt hand if you don't want to do the former. XP I don't remember how much erasing I did. It's been a while since I drew digitally. :/

MidnightCombat

Bird of Destruction
The only digital art I can do with a mouse is spriting; if only I had my stylus then I can do more digital drawings.
@SnazzySwampert- Try to pay attention to the quality of the line; right now there's some lines going over lines which gives it an unclean feel and the lineart looks rather shaky (though it will improve if you keep practicing ^^). Also the lighting isn't just lines going diagonal; if you see real life objects then you'll see that the lighting hits a certain parts of the objects. But if you want to continue with the diagonal lines then I would go the extra mile and add more shades.
Overall, I find the Wartortle pretty cute and hope this critique helps!

@Combat
Thanks, that helped me quite a bit.... ^^

I am working on a new digital drawing and will post it here when I'm done. ^^

Edit: Here is a new one: Chiko! 2.0.jpg I'm only starting at this.... This is one of my first few... :I

Last edited:

MidnightCombat

Bird of Destruction
Alright, some thoughts:
The colors are saturated with little to no shading. When recoloring using a pallet, it's best to use colors that are toned down (for first timers, I recommend recoloring a Pokémon as another Pokémon to get a feel for the colors). Additionally, the shading and highlights shouldn't match with the base colors since recolors should match with the lighting and shading of the Pokémon. Additionally, the outlines are left untouched so when you recolor make sure the outlines matches the pallet/the recolored Pokémon.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Alright, some thoughts:
The colors are saturated with little to no shading. When recoloring using a pallet, it's best to use colors that are toned down (for first timers, I recommend recoloring a Pokémon as another Pokémon to get a feel for the colors). Additionally, the shading and highlights shouldn't match with the base colors since recolors should match with the lighting and shading of the Pokémon. Additionally, the outlines are left untouched so when you recolor make sure the outlines matches the pallet/the recolored Pokémon.
Hope this helps!

Ah, thank you! I'll try it some day again. I'm not good with colors and stuff, but I think I can improve a bit. Thanks a lot!

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
can someone please help me here my badges always look like crap when i make them :( I don't have a tablet i mainly free draw with a laptop touch mouse im trying to go by northern lights how to make badge style but it seems i never can get the lighting of the streaks on the badge to look right an blend like she did and its bother the heck out of me :/

PIgB0Cw.png

mhyhPpm.png

any critique help would be appreciated thank you :)

Kaiserin

please wake up...
I'd like to apologize to pupintheturd for somehow overlooking the fact that they were not on the member list; it should be fixed now. Jeez, I'm slipping. And an additional welcome to Talonflame and GoldenLeaf! And also, to members: can we please be a little more discretionary with the negative reputations? No need to knee-jerk respond to things like that, guys.

I'm trying to get something churned out, art-wise, but ugh... it's just not coming. :C I really wish I had more fresh things to contribute to the club more often, but as an artist, I'm extremely whimsical at best, and my inspiration tends to wax and wane. Right now, it's at a low. ;;

Also, I feel like it is time to reorganize the OP and prune the member list a bit, as it has been a while and a bunch of people have stopped posting actively. I may wind up just making a new thread for this club as a result, and so we can get rid of that damn poll, but my thoughts are thus: in addition to name/nickname, maybe I'll add links to (up to three?) works (or deviantART pages, whichever) that members want to show off in the first post, or in a second post immediately after the OP for showcasing their best work. I know I proposed this before, and it sounded like a good idea all around, but I also wanted to give ample warning that I'll probably have this thread closed in favor of the new one relatively soon. It may, however, require a new join form and even old members may have to fill it out just to keep the OP tidy, although I'll try to keep track of who is new and who is just joining, too.

Additionally, if anyone has any suggestions for what I could add to a new thread (I'll make maybe two or three posts in any new threads that get made just so they're there if ever we need them), I'd love to hear them!

NightKrazy

Fire Queen
can someone please help me here my badges always look like crap when i make them :( I don't have a tablet i mainly free draw with a laptop touch mouse im trying to go by northern lights how to make badge style but it seems i never can get the lighting of the streaks on the badge to look right an blend like she did and its bother the heck out of me :/

PIgB0Cw.png

mhyhPpm.png

any critique help would be appreciated thank you :)

I think the problem might be that the highlights and shadows you're using are too extreme. Maybe darken the light stripes a bit and lighten the dark stripes some. It's just my opinion, but the gradient around the edges of the badges looks like it doesn't quite fit the lighting right.

MidnightCombat

Bird of Destruction
Also, I feel like it is time to reorganize the OP and prune the member list a bit, as it has been a while and a bunch of people have stopped posting actively. I may wind up just making a new thread for this club as a result, and so we can get rid of that damn poll, but my thoughts are thus: in addition to name/nickname, maybe I'll add links to (up to three?) works (or deviantART pages, whichever) that members want to show off in the first post, or in a second post immediately after the OP for showcasing their best work. I know I proposed this before, and it sounded like a good idea all around, but I also wanted to give ample warning that I'll probably have this thread closed in favor of the new one relatively soon. It may, however, require a new join form and even old members may have to fill it out just to keep the OP tidy, although I'll try to keep track of who is new and who is just joining, too.

Additionally, if anyone has any suggestions for what I could add to a new thread (I'll make maybe two or three posts in any new threads that get made just so they're there if ever we need them), I'd love to hear them!

@bold- Is it possible for mods to delete polls?
Also, I like the idea of people posting their dA links and having a separate post to show off their best works. Also, how do art competitions sound? We could have sections for drawing, painting, graphics and sprites to name a few. Also, a collaboration seems fun too; like for drawing one person can do the lineart and another can color.
But, I'm fine if you made The Artist's Corner v2. In regards to the activity, it can be helpful if you linked the member's profile so you can see the activity of them.

Also, some more sprites:
pVAekhJ.png
3aYBnPb.png
JGgU9M0.png
vZgWCI1.png

NightKrazy

Fire Queen
@bold- Is it possible for mods to delete polls?
Also, I like the idea of people posting their dA links and having a separate post to show off their best works. Also, how do art competitions sound? We could have sections for drawing, painting, graphics and sprites to name a few. Also, a collaboration seems fun too; like for drawing one person can do the lineart and another can color.
But, I'm fine if you made The Artist's Corner v2. In regards to the activity, it can be helpful if you linked the member's profile so you can see the activity of them.

Also, some more sprites:
pVAekhJ.png
3aYBnPb.png
JGgU9M0.png
vZgWCI1.png

Those look really cool. I especially like this one:
3aYBnPb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.