• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Autism thread

Misayu

Anime fangirl. <3
I figured this would belong here rather than being normal discussion. :| It can be considered as debated because we don't know much about Autism except from maybe seeing those that actually have it.

Well, do any of you guys have Autism or at least an Autism spectrum disorder? :O I do but I have mild to moderate autism.

More importantly, what do you think about Autism? Please make sure you keep your opinions nice but mature. Rephrase them in ways that aren't hurtful to those that really have it.

Anyway, I have had many experiences with being autistic. I have my share of rituals and repetitive behaviors, sensory overloads, outbursts and meltdowns, etc.

I also have ADHD, a slow learning disability and mild to moderate mental retardation.

I know you might think I'm not autistic but who's to really judge? You can only see what the person types and you can't judge them just because they type like they have a higher intelligence.

I've learned from people around me on forums to type with intelligence and high knowledge. I am a writer of expression and can write based on what I feel or to explain something.

I'm very bad at math though and I also have terrible reading comprehension, regardless of my high reading levels.

Please, make sure you judge the person by what they are typing not to by how they might type.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Okay Autism, A.D.H.D., A.D.D., O.C.D., P.T.S.D. and all those acronyms thrown about by psychologists and psychiatrists need to SERIOUSLY be reviewed. The problem is basically this, a state of being is a disorder IF AND ONLY IF it is harmful to bodily function and is a clinically significant stray from normal bodily function, although you'll find in most cases the two mean the same thing. Unfortunately psychologists (I'll just use psychologists here, but psychiatry is also implied) by and large have no comprehension of an important medical and biological concept, and that is variation within a population. Psychology seems to be built around two things. The first is completely unfounded and stupid conjecture made by people who belong in the world of fiction, not reality (see Sigmund Freud et alii). The second is the idea that the "norm" in behaviour and mental health is something that everyone who is "normal" is steadfastly held under, and anyone remotely outside this "norm" can then be classified by three or four letter acronyms. Basically that's just rubbish. There is ENORMOUS variation in personality between human beings, not everyone who is shy has Asperger's, not everyone who is slightly aggressive and/or stupid has "A.D.H.D.", et cetera. Asperger's specifically seems to be nothing more than a label made by annoying psychologists for why people smarter than them speak less (but that's just my little hunch). Sure, some people diagnosed with the aforementioned "diseases" would objectively be classified as having some disorder. But that's no justification for child psychologists going trigger-happy with the label-maker.

Misayu

Anime fangirl. <3
What can you prove? People probably do have all of those disorders and you shouldn't say they don't exist. It's all because people are too lazy to diagnosis someone thoroughly.

I was diagnosed by the best doctor and psychiatrist out there. I know I am autistic, I have ADHD and whatever.

There does need to be a dividing line between those things though because you see people complaining about an epedemic and it's all because all of the psychologists, doctors whatever become too lazy to classify someone has having one or two disabilities.

I do disagree about you saying none of them exist. They DO exist but as I said, they are being to commonly misdiagnosed at such young ages. By what your saying is that what I have is fake.

There are supposed to be only six common symptoms in Autism. I have seven and your post is meaningless because science is on our side. What has been proven isn't because of psychologist but because of science.

Also, would you call someone who has panic attacks over tags and seams in their clothing, having their rituals disrupted, getting massive sensory overloads, sobbing in a corner while people around you are crowding your every exsistence AND doing repetitive hand gestures/movements normal at 20 years old?

I also have outbursts where I tend to throw things. It's more like being in a trance, except I'm aware of myself and yet the only thing I can think about is what I am so ticked off a bit, it's considered an overload of emotions where I do things in a huge rage and don't think of the consequences.

I cry when I am pressured. I through tantrums because I get yelled at everyday. I also scream at my parents for being in my room and I panic when I have to talk on the phone. I have so many things wrong with me that you can't go and say it's normal.

It's not normal behavior for a 20 year old woman, believe me.

Last edited:

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Look Misayu I think you seriously took my post the wrong way. As I said at the end there are definitely people who have been diagnosed with these "disorders" who do legitimately have a mental disorder. I won't doubt your case, I plainly can't. In your case most likely science IS on your side. But in many cases science and objective observation aren't. What I ask for is a major rethink of the way those mental disorders are classified. There's no doubt that autism exists and that attention-deficit related disorders exist, and I don't attempt to doubt it. But it's the way we diagnose them that has to be looked at: many paediatricians would look at a child who displays *slightly* abnormal behaviour and provide an immediate attempt at diagnosis. In most cases it's the concept of diagnosis held in the mind of those psychologists/paediatricians/psychiatrists whatever, but in other cases its the diagnostic conditions itself (like in P.T.S.D.).

Also remember when discussing this topic that while we know Autism exists, we don't really know what it is. The same goes for more or less every mental illness.

Misayu

Anime fangirl. <3
Look Misayu I think you seriously took my post the wrong way. As I said at the end there are definitely people who have been diagnosed with these "disorders" who do legitimately have a mental disorder. I won't doubt your case, I plainly can't. In your case most likely science IS on your side. But in many cases science and objective observation aren't. What I ask for is a major rethink of the way those mental disorders are classified. There's no doubt that autism exists and that attention-deficit related disorders exist, and I don't attempt to doubt it. But it's the way we diagnose them that has to be looked at: many paediatricians would look at a child who displays *slightly* abnormal behaviour and provide an immediate attempt at diagnosis. In most cases it's the concept of diagnosis held in the mind of those psychologists/paediatricians/psychiatrists whatever, but in other cases its the diagnostic conditions itself (like in P.T.S.D.).

Also remember when discussing this topic that while we know Autism exists, we don't really know what it is. The same goes for more or less every mental illness.

Oh...yeah, sorry about that. XD

But yeah. I do see where you are coming from. I've seen a lot of people say that they have Autism and only because of social interaction. I think because like I said, everyone is too lazy to think "hmmm...so you're afraid of public speaking, social interaction, being watched while eating...sounds like social phobia."

I mean there should be a line between what is considered what. It's too common for a five year old child to have tantrums over a toy. I mean wtf, there just kids. Let kids be kids because it's the only chance they get at being little.

Parents get worked up over nothing. I'm not saying that all cases are bad parenting but a few of them could be. Parents most likely panic if their child doesn't listen.

I mean if a child is having sensory overload and not talking by the time they are two, then yeah, it's probably a case of autism but if a child is having a tantrum and crying because their mother said they couldn't get anything at the store and the child also doesn't listen to the parent all the time...then it's because the child is still a child.

I've heard so many things about children getting depression. Children are at young ages where they are discovering things and one thing they feel is sadness. If someone dies, a child isn't going to know how to react.

kingmassa

Justice Is Served
The term Autism itself is somewhat outdated. Many different conditions can fall into the term Autism and can cause confusion and misconceptions and stereotypes. Take for example Asperger's Syndrome. A person with Asperger's can very often have incredible numerical ability, thus giving rise the the stereotype of all Autistics being good at maths.

Personally, I see Autism to be a very interesting state of being rather than a disability, as many others see it. Autistics are capable of many feats that others would be incapable. So I always think of whether it's something to do with the brain changing its priorities for developing specific areas. Who knows, only time will tell.

;093;

S31R31

The 90's
Unfortunately psychologists (I'll just use psychologists here, but psychiatry is also implied) by and large have no comprehension of an important medical and biological concept, and that is variation within a population.

Just to be accurate, psychiatrists have medical background, in fact most were physicians before.

Psychology seems to be built around two things. The first is completely unfounded and stupid conjecture made by people who belong in the world of fiction, not reality (see Sigmund Freud et alii).

Wilhelm Wundt, Ivan Pavlov, B.F. Skinner, Albert Bandura (and many others) and their respective researches are not work of fiction. And to add, Autism and A.D.H.D. isn't even related to Sigmund Freud and his theories.

The second is the idea that the "norm" in behaviour and mental health is something that everyone who is "normal" is steadfastly held under, and anyone remotely outside this "norm" can then be classified by three or four letter acronyms. Basically that's just rubbish.

Even as a joke, that's too much of a generalization.

Misayu

Anime fangirl. <3
The term Autism itself is somewhat outdated. Many different conditions can fall into the term Autism and can cause confusion and misconceptions and stereotypes. Take for example Asperger's Syndrome. A person with Asperger's can very often have incredible numerical ability, thus giving rise the the stereotype of all Autistics being good at maths.

Personally, I see Autism to be a very interesting state of being rather than a disability, as many others see it. Autistics are capable of many feats that others would be incapable. So I always think of whether it's something to do with the brain changing its priorities for developing specific areas. Who knows, only time will tell.

;093;

That's because with every flaw an autistic person has, the greater the strength they gain from it.

I had a friend that was severly autistic and he went to my school. He had terrible speech and showed almost EVERY sign of Autism.

Yet, he could go online and know how to type in games on google, actually PLAY these games without requiring help for them.

There is ENORMOUS variation in personality between human beings, not everyone who is shy has Asperger's, not everyone who is slightly aggressive and/or stupid has "A.D.H.D.", et cetera.

I agree with that man. The way the world is, a lot of people also abuse these illnesses and classifications so they can remove repsonsibility from themself, for example "oh i dont have to do such-and-such because i have [insert illness name]", which is not good. Because then the people who REALLY have a problem, get overlooked. And the whole illness or problem as an entirety gets devalued. I don't like all this pidgeon-holing, and labelling. Your mind is your mind, as long as you're happy that's all that matters. When everyday tasks, or everyday life even, begins to become a difficulty for you, and you need help, then there's no shame in asking. But other than that, if you have no problem, then there's no need to worry about what you might have or not have or be or not be. It's what you do that matters. Or don't do.

Pokemonwarrior

I Am Your Nightmare
I've seen things in newspapers and in TV show and news reports that people that have kids are opting out of normal booster shots. To try and stop them from maybe getting the learning/autistic behaviors that some people think the shots can give to their kids even though theres no definitive answers of the shots doing so. But even though a learning or an autistic disorder can be a hard thing to live with but in some ways its a lesser evil compaired to some of the things that the shots help to protect the kids from and the complications that can come along with the sicknesses stopped by the shots?

Pikachu!84

Pikachu Obsessed!
I have autism and I had bad problems when I was younger. I still have problems and it drives me nuts becuase people that have always known me don't get it that when I'm unset about something, I can't say what, not matter now much I try.

Hyper Chibi Absol

The Dark Goddess
Bwaa… I went to several doctors that told me that I have one thing when the other says I have something else. So far I have a list.

Autism
ADHD
ADD
OAD (Obsessive Anxiety Disorder)
Asperger Syndrome

I probably have all of this. o_O; I’m hyper active, totally get obsessed with stuff, worry about the worst thing happening when bad things occur, ect…

It doesn’t really bother me though (except for the OAD part), but other than that, yeah. Not too bad. :3

Misayu

Anime fangirl. <3
Bwaa… I went to several doctors that told me that I have one thing when the other says I have something else. So far I have a list.

Autism
ADHD
ADD
OAD (Obsessive Anxiety Disorder)
Asperger Syndrome

I probably have all of this. o_O; I’m hyper active, totally get obsessed with stuff, worry about the worst thing happening when bad things occur, ect…

It doesn’t really bother me though (except for the OAD part), but other than that, yeah. Not too bad. :3

Wait...you have both Autism and AS?

Well...then again, I've wondered the same for myself, I mean in terms of me having HFA and Autism.

See, when I was younger, I actually didn't start talking until I was around four and even around that time I was having a hard time with sentences and I was actually in speech therapy until like, 8th grade?

Well, I wasn't diagnosed with Autism until ten. Though, I had ADHD since I was really young. It was actually more profound to be honest because I have every symptom imaginable. XD

Wow, what is OAD like? I mean I've never heard of that before so it's news to me and it sounds like something I might have too. I worry alot about things I shouldn't sometimes when I go to bed, I'll start thinking of bad things, in other words I start imagining that my house caught on fire and I lost everything so then it's hard to sleep.

I have alot of other flaws that are just so hard to explain and a lot of them I really hate considering has being something I already have. It just seems like a big excuse for saying, "oh hey sorry, my autism was showing". You know?

Wow, seriously, I have to admit. You guys are way nicer about this than people were at PC. I've been getting tons of bad rep just for "educating" people about Autism. So now they seem to think I was changing their opinions.

Another one actually told me to stop using my "disease" as a badge or something to be proud of.

I'm not always so proud of it. Sometimes I can imagine if it would be better if I had something more noticable like, Cerebal Palsy or Down syndrome, I mean it's easy to see them as having a disability but with Autism, it's more hidden.

Still, I can't change who I am and none of us can, now can we? If we could will that would probably end up going against the laws...of whatever. XD

sanjay120

?(???)?
aspies sound off! ;D

this. it's really only seen as a disability because the rest of the world is different. i am really really bad at writing papers and with words and people tell me this is bad because how am i ever going to get into college if i can't write essays? and if college applications involved the ability to multiply three digit numbers in my head i would be ahead of most people, it's just somewhat unfortunate that things aren't like that. and i am only bad at writing essays because the requirements for them are ridiculous. 'write 300 words on this subject' is incredibly stupid when i could probably cover everything in 50. unless they are for some reason testing my ability to waste paper and ink?

Pokemonwarrior

I Am Your Nightmare
aspies sound off! ;D

this. it's really only seen as a disability because the rest of the world is different. i am really really bad at writing papers and with words and people tell me this is bad because how am i ever going to get into college if i can't write essays? and if college applications involved the ability to multiply three digit numbers in my head i would be ahead of most people, it's just somewhat unfortunate that things aren't like that. and i am only bad at writing essays because the requirements for them are ridiculous. 'write 300 words on this subject' is incredibly stupid when i could probably cover everything in 50. unless they are for some reason testing my ability to waste paper and ink?

They ask you to write that much so you can back up your thoughts with reasons and facts of why you came up with this statement. But a lot of places have things to accommodate people that have a learning disability. SO the people that say you might not ever get into a collage are wrong it just might be Harvard or Yale but you can still get into a state school.

Misayu

Anime fangirl. <3
They ask you to write that much so you can back up your thoughts with reasons and facts of why you came up with this statement. But a lot of places have things to accommodate people that have a learning disability. SO the people that say you might not ever get into a collage are wrong it just might be Harvard or Yale but you can still get into a state school.

Not entirely.

I've heard that you only get specific ones. You can only get ones that will help you when you test or something.

I've needed a lot more accommodations in school but they never gave them to me. All i got was having extended time on tests and quizzes, the use of a calculator/spellchecker and work getting cut down.

I guess because I'm not as ritualistic as most people with Autism are, makes it a little less possible to get much to help. No one ever listened to me because what made me mad was in they always thought way too much over my abilities.

It was all like, "Oh, you know you can do this or you know you can do that." I'm actually a great writer but for me, it's something that can come only to me. If someone told me to write an essay on a certain subject, I'd be sitting there all dumfounded.

Sure, you probably think that since I can write these walls of text that it's not true but that's the thing. It's easy for me to share things because they are things that come from me.

Plus, I have to write things in pencil because I make more mistakes in pen then anyone I know. The problem with essays now is that you have to use pen or else. That's why I never liked doing them because you can't even use white-out. Essays have to be free of crossed out words, messed up grammar and everything.

It's something I can't explain very well. I really wish I could because well, that would such a miracle.

I'm good at english and creative writing but I only have a 2nd/3rd grade level in Math. This puts me at a lower level than most people who graduated high school. It also means that if I had a job, I wouldn't be able to handle money that well or be able to keep track of time or whatever.

I'm very good at reading things but if I read to myself, I can't remember what I actually read. If I read out loud, I choke on words and end up having to restate sentences a lot. It deals a lot with social interaction because when reading something out loud to a person, even when I know them, causes me to choke on words and become nervous.

What I'm trying to say is that what I come with as far as being good at school subjects, comes flaws that make that talent drop to a lower level of knowledge.

If you were to see me in real life, you would think of me as a normal average person. I actually look pretty smart for being autistic but you wouldn't know all my flaws, unless you spent your whole life watching me and seeing what I do.

I also have tantrums and I do call them meltdowns because for me, at 20 years old, it's not very normal for me to act out and carry on. I get mad easy and I do have a short fuse around my parents.

Yeah, that's just a general stand point of how my disabilities can impact on my life. I'm actually getting a benefit from SSI because I'm unemployed due to being what would seem more like moderate to severly disabled.

It wouldn't seem like it but it's almost always true.

I've seen things in newspapers and in TV show and news reports that people that have kids are opting out of normal booster shots. To try and stop them from maybe getting the learning/autistic behaviors that some people think the shots can give to their kids even though theres no definitive answers of the shots doing so. But even though a learning or an autistic disorder can be a hard thing to live with but in some ways its a lesser evil compaired to some of the things that the shots help to protect the kids from and the complications that can come along with the sicknesses stopped by the shots?

Yeah but that will also hurt the kids. Not because of not getting protection but if a parent registers their child for school, it will be much harder for them to attend. Without having any shot records or immunizations, even if its just one or two, kids aren't going to get into daycare or even get into school alone.

Of course, parents will also sue the school system too. If they really feel set that their child isn't diseased and yet it wouldn't matter because the parent would lose. I've had to get shots before in order to take child development, alone. Though, I quit the class later on because it was like, a day college...hard to explain but you could attend while being in high school.

The problem with it was that they weren't exactly very easy on students with disabilities, especially like me. I had to take a star lab because I failed math but passed reading. It was really stupid because they knew that I had a math disability and yet the same thing happened is they all think I can do things when I can't.

It's not that easy to do something when everyone tells you that you can. They aren't the ones with autism, ADHD, mental retardation and a slow learning disability. I am. I get stressed easily if I'm pressured to the point where I break down and cry. I've got so many learning difficulties that I've had a hard time with living a normal life.

I agree with that man. The way the world is, a lot of people also abuse these illnesses and classifications so they can remove repsonsibility from themself, for example "oh i dont have to do such-and-such because i have [insert illness name]", which is not good. Because then the people who REALLY have a problem, get overlooked. And the whole illness or problem as an entirety gets devalued. I don't like all this pidgeon-holing, and labelling. Your mind is your mind, as long as you're happy that's all that matters. When everyday tasks, or everyday life even, begins to become a difficulty for you, and you need help, then there's no shame in asking. But other than that, if you have no problem, then there's no need to worry about what you might have or not have or be or not be. It's what you do that matters. Or don't do.

That's not all true. Sure, people get misdiagnosed and will take the path of a disability to extremes, making it hard for some that really is suffering that disability, to get the help they need.

However, saying that your mind is your mind or whatever, it's still difficult for someone to cope with being disabled. There are things that we can't do and we can't do them if we aren't able to. That's like saying that a parapelgic or person who is in a wheelchair has the ability to get up and run, jump and everything.

It's not always the same principles because sometimes a person can't do something. Sometimes it's because if they say, have autism, they might also have another disability that can cause impairment.

For me, I can't do daily living skills. Sure, I can dress myself and take my own baths but I also can't cook, do my own laundry, do household chores and the like. I've probably been told a thousand times on how to do them but where I'm somewhat on the mild scale of mental retardation AND have Autism and a learning disability...

See, Autism makes it hard because I was never able to do those things over and over in repetition. So if I'm told to do my own laundry or try to cook things on my own, I'll start melting down and having panic attacks.

It probably seems like alot to be getting worked up over but it's not easy when you are autistic. Most children with autism will stick to their same schedule and have rituals that they panic on if they aren't down right.

While that does fall in OCD related, it does have differences because children with Autism aren't likely to wash their hands excessively until they bleed or make sure their doors and windows are closed.

It's because a person with autism has things that they do to keep them happy. They will do these things because that's what they have gotten used to doing over and over. So if you were to give an autistic person a broom and tell him to sweep the floor while he's probably playing a video game he might be obsessed over, then that's going to make the autistic person go into meltdown mode.

I'm always like that with my parents. I get really panicked if they don't do something for me. I'm not lazy, it's just I fear just everything around me that causes this panic to worsen.

I don't like cooking because I'm afraid of a hot stove. I don't like doing chores because it's never been part of my everyday schedule. I'm not as bad as severe autistics but I think I can range from being pretty severe. It all depends on the situation.

I think it's getting worse because no that I'm more aware of being autistic and having other disabilities, it's becoming more and more profound. There are things that I find I am unable to do and I know that it's form my disabilities.

When I had a rl boyfriend (I have an online on for disability reasons really) he was very touchy-feely and insisted on affection. While that would seem normal in a relationship, it was like hell for me. I was always getting away from him because I didn't like cuddling or being touched. It became an issue but back then I didn't know it had more to do with the fact that I was autistic.

Even now, I still panic when my dad touches me, even though he is joking with me, I start to panic.

Last edited:

shotgun777

I have asperger's disorder (a spectrum of autism). I used to be obsessed with car washes (yes I know it sounds crazy). I'm also perfect pitched, which is a symptom of asperger's disorder; and Algebra's my favorite subject.

In my opinion Asperger's Disorder is more of a blessing, because it gave me the gift of music.

Misayu

Anime fangirl. <3
And this reminds me of something, if I could not have autism anymore, I would not because than I would not be me.

Yeah, same here. I'd be afraid if I was cured now and I was actually in debate with my friend on MSN. How she was saying that I would be better off getting a cure because she just doesn't understand me that well, really.

See my friend was getting into a debate with me, saying that I shouldn't be saying Autism doesn't need a cure. She was making Autism sound like a bad thing and that infants shouldn't be born with it. That its as bad as telling some that they have heart problems, means that I was saying the same about them.

I haven't talked to her since then. I'm really afraid to because when someone says things like that about me and my disability, it makes me so mad. I want people to understand me in a way where they know I have autism and if they can't then they aren't going to be very good friends to me.

Seriously, how is Autism like someone who has a heart problem? Autism isn't a bad thing and like we've said here, it can actually make you very talented in most fields, more talented then probably someone who is normal. I mean sure, I have to admit that I do wish I wasn't autistic but it wouldn't really make it better if I wasn't. If I was cured now, I probably would be way different from who I am and I probably wouldn't be able to cope with being normal.

That's just how I see it.

Besides, Autism needs to be aware of before it can be cured. I mean what happens if someone gets misdiagnosed just because of social interaction? If they take the cure, it could become useless because those that probably really don't have it will end up wanting it. That's one way to see it.

I think what they should do is try to think about all these disorders and make them more clear. I've seen the DSM-IV before and if someone has autism, they have to have at least six or more symptoms but possibly five if they are bad enough. Autism isn't as misdiagnosed as Asperger Syndrome because most kids who have impaired speech and aren't babbling or whatever by two, often get put under the ASD spectrum, where as AS is much more milder and isn't under a developmental delay...

Asperger syndrome can be of many things. One person with asperger syndrome can hate being in public, to the point where they start having massive panic attacks and sensory overloads and another one could hate having tags rubbing their skin and maybe can't wear seams in them either, while also being very hypersensitive to sound.

It can also be a misdiagnosis for someone that might have ADHD, OCD, or even social phobia because the symptoms are way too similiar and can cause great confusion for people. I actually met this girl in rl who had asperger syndrome and she often paced back and forth a lot. She also wasn't very good with conversation and actually talked a lot, rather than letting me talk too. I'm not sure what other things she had because she actually took medication to help regulate some of her symptoms.

Last edited:

Hyper Chibi Absol

The Dark Goddess
Wait...you have both Autism and AS?

Supposedly.

Wow, what is OAD like? I mean I've never heard of that before so it's news to me and it sounds like something I might have too. I worry alot about things I shouldn't sometimes when I go to bed, I'll start thinking of bad things, in other words I start imagining that my house caught on fire and I lost everything so then it's hard to sleep.

Well. It only really effects me when bad things happen, but sometimes a have minor little images in my mind like bad things may happen. Example: Seeing a sharp knife? I think it might end up falling and cutting me even though its just sitting there. Kinda why I'm afraid of needles. I expect great pain.

But if I'm REALLY worried, I'm caused to think of suicide. (luckily I got help in time). I had an episode of depression a few years ago. I was later diagnosed with OAD.

As long as something like what happened in 2006 happens again. I should be fine. No real serious worries now. :3