• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Autism thread

Misayu

Anime fangirl. <3
Well, I can't say that that is normal, I guess. But what I was trying to say is, does that make it a disorder? I mean, we can point to a cause for, say down syndrome, but there isn't really a know cause for autism (although there have been some guesses)

I'm really on the fence about whether autism is a collection of behaviors or a disorder, (now that I'm thinking about it more, it seems like it's most likely to be a disorder). I mean, there seems to be some evidence that is is a disorder (it's more likely to happen in older mothers, for isntance), but not really enough to totally prove anything one way or another. I just made my previous post to try to explain why some people may not think it exists.

Well, I can see how that would be hard to diminish. I've seen alot of times where it's like a child who has severe behavior problems gets misdiagnosed. That's what makes Autism hard to get a proper diagnose. It seems like it's being a worst case scenario for the cases that don't seem "fit" for one catergory. But you have to realize that just because a few people might only have autism because they have some severe case of social phobia and OCD, doesn't mean they DO have autism. Autism is only become more common because parents freak out everytime their child is acting out or having some meltdown. That's why it's become more profound. I can tell that autism isn't fake. It is real and yes, it is most definitely a disorder. It's just becoming more and more of an excuse for others that "think" they have it but probably don't. Misdiagnoses are common for every hidden disability because it's really hard to consider the possibility. Someone that might have to have everything perfect and stay the same, do things the same way and dress the same way and seem terribly paranoid to everything, would have OCD but because Autism is so common to that, they could get misdiagnosed for it. Same with Social phobia, ADHD, or whatever. I mean would you rather go throw a huge entire list of all the disabilities you have or would you want to say, "Yeah, I'm autistic because I have meltdowns, rituals, sameness etc, along with meltdowns, sensory overloads, excessive hyperactivity and impulsitivity, and overstimulation...etc, then it's clear that it's considered as a form of autism." You have to realize that there will be a few cases that can be considered below the norm and probably not really autistic but hey, everyone DOES have different autistic traits. No autistic person is alike and unless the two are tiwns, then they will almost ALWAYS have something different. Let's take person A and Person B, okay? Person A was diagnosed with having Asperger Syndrome. He is very sensitive to noise, touch, taste, and texture. He has tons of overloads and meltdowns when is rituals aren't performed in the way he remembers them. He has peculiar interests and can often talk only of these so called, "odd" interests. Now, person B has a different from autism called Autism spectrum disorder. She has overloads when out in public and panics easily with noise and being crowded with a bunch people. Sometimes talking can be difficult for her and once in a while she has outbursts and meltdowns if she doesn't seem to understand what is going on. With those examples, you can see that Person B is VERY different from Person A but in some way they do things the same, just in different ways. It depends on the severity of the autism and what is considered hard for them to deal. The most common misdiagnoses for Autism, are in fact, OCD, personality disorders, ADHD, Social Phobia and mental Retardation. This is because all of those have very similiar symptoms towards Autism. It makes it hard to really decide who does have it and who doesn't. But for those who DO have it, that are pretty profound even if they are between mild to moderate, obviously have it. Sometimes those people go into therapy and can become extremely successful. Some are so disabled from development that they end up living in group homes and having structured areas for them to keep their daily rituals and everything. Does that all make sense?

Last edited:

pokemon ruler

I like NOEIN
ok now I have Aspergers syndrom it is like autism but I dont have as much of the mental retardation that most people who have the disorder have, I think fast, I have an extensive vocabulary (even though i am still learning how to use it) and I also teach myself most of the time. I also get teased alot because of my disorder because people just can't undersstand how a kid in the special education unit (the Special education unit is a place at most schools where people with autism go) can be so smart.

Thank you if you read all i had to say if you have any questions about Aspergers syndrom just drop me a PM (NOT A VM) and i will try to answer your questions that you may have.

Also just so every one knows Autism and Aspergers syndrome are simmilar but NOT the same.

Last edited:

Raines

Bogan
I figured this would belong here rather than being normal discussion. :| It can be considered as debated because we don't know much about Autism except from maybe seeing those that actually have it.

Well, do any of you guys have Autism or at least an Autism spectrum disorder? :O I do but I have mild to moderate autism.

More importantly, what do you think about Autism? Please make sure you keep your opinions nice but mature. Rephrase them in ways that aren't hurtful to those that really have it.

Anyway, I have had many experiences with being autistic. I have my share of rituals and repetitive behaviors, sensory overloads, outbursts and meltdowns, etc.

I also have ADHD, a slow learning disability and mild to moderate mental retardation.

I know you might think I'm not autistic but who's to really judge? You can only see what the person types and you can't judge them just because they type like they have a higher intelligence.

I've learned from people around me on forums to type with intelligence and high knowledge. I am a writer of expression and can write based on what I feel or to explain something.

I'm very bad at math though and I also have terrible reading comprehension, regardless of my high reading levels.

Please, make sure you judge the person by what they are typing not to by how they might type.
No way you are mild-moderately mentally retarded + mild/moderately autistic. The ones I know are like little children, being led around by helpers and behaving like toddlers.

Raines

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Autistic people are smarter than most of us

Why? because we nag and complain abotu the littlest crap, and they find joy in the little things in life. They sit back and although they really don't know whats going on, they really just relax and enjoy life. Just because they can't complete a SAT test doesn't mean they can't enjoy life!;165;

Raines

Bogan
I think you're confusing 'autistic' with 'mentally retarded'. Autistic children are known to get extremely frustrated and become violent, and honestly if you belive that the mentally retarded are 'smarter' than the average person you are kidding yourself.

Raines

Eclipse

I AM GONE.
I'm super sensative to touch, if you pat my back I'll still feel the shape of your hand on my back for a least 5 minutes after.

That's really strange, I'm the exact same with touch. Unlike most people with Aspergers though, I am a pretty affectionate person and like physical contact.

I've been told that I have mild Aspergers. I have heightened senses of smell, sight and hearing, I cannot stand the feeling of certain things (Like I can't stand getting water on my eyes, even if they're closed) I am a hygiene freak, I like things to be ordered and classed, and I can remember conversations that happened years ago. I'm actually really good at analyzing people and can often find out things about people without being told.

However, on the negative side, I often get uncomfortable with things ordinary people find normal. Like the author of this thread, I get panicky when I have to talk on the phone, I hate borrowing other people's things, and I have no tolerance for sudden loud noises. I also get very angry, although it's quite difficult most of the time considering I'm a pretty happy person and smile a lot, but when I do, it's not pretty.

I've gotten a lot better with my handling the problems as I've grown older, though, and slowly learnt how to control my emotions. When I was younger I used to throw massive tantrums, but fortunately now I just cry a lot.

I think depending on the severity of the Autism, it can be either a burden or a blessing, sometimes both, like in my case. I recommend the Australian movie the Black Balloon to see what some of the more severe cases of autism are like.

Akarin

Sgt. Fgt.
No way you are mild-moderately mentally retarded + mild/moderately autistic. The ones I know are like little children, being led around by helpers and behaving like toddlers.

Raines

Oh my god I love you. THANK YOU.

I used to have a neighbour who was literally retarded, not in the mean sense, but she probably has an IQ of a 3 or 4 year old. It was something I would never, ever wish on anyone, it's hell on the parents, and it leaves open the potential for extreme abuse of the child who doesn't understand how to convey his feelings. How, please. Tell me, is that a 'special gift'?

I will say that they are genuinely nice, very sweet people, but they're messed up, and if the parents of the children (because let's face it, these kids aren't making any decisions for themselves) want their kids treated, they should be allowed to have their kids treated. No "Autism Rights" BS should prevent a kid from leading a life free from torment. Nobody should ever say to a parent, "You're selfish and ignorant and intolerant because you won't let your kid smash stuff and misbehave in public." If someone ever said that to me, I'd beat their arse.

"Well, they need to accept everyone's differences! It's what makes life special and fun!! :) "

Sorry. But no. Humans are petty, cruel creatures that pick on the one weaker than them. No amount of crying and screaming is ever going to change that, because you can only change your own self. Trying to make them think the kid who bangs his head against the wall is the same as the AP student with perfect grades is so ridiculous, that it's almost insulting.

People are scared of people that make them uncomfortable. I've been around kids who...I can't even recall because it's something that I just don't like thinking about.

So, to all self-diagnosed "aspies", go meet parents of an actual autistic kid, please. Go see the pain that autism causes families when they realise their kid will never fit into society. Don't pretend that the majority of autistics and people with Down's are savants, because they're not.

Stop touting your pretend-disorder and acting like you're special because you are a social misfit. You don't need to be autistic to be a complete socially retarded fool. Autism- nor any other illness of the brain, should ever be an excuse for something like that.

This coming from a person who is against the death penalty for the mentally ill.

Sorry if I upset anyone, however, I've been close to many people who had kids with autism. It's not something to be proud of.

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
Well, I for one would like to admit I actually do have Asberger's Syndrome, and I do cause my parents hell. Although it isn't as bad as some people I do know, I am a major pain.

Also, I think you're being a bit mean on people who don't like people treated differently. You do come off as just the lightest bit discriminative. Although I can tell you don't want to offend anyone.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and not being stupid.

ungulateman

Shinzura

Giant Sunkern
I just want to say that I hated how people were saying Sarah Palin knew all about Autism because her child had Down Syndrome. They're two distinct disorders. If I know a lot about baseball, that doesn't mean I know a lot about football just because football is also a sport.

Pikachu!84

Pikachu Obsessed!
I just want to say that I hated how people were saying Sarah Palin knew all about Autism because her child had Down Syndrome. They're two distinct disorders. If I know a lot about baseball, that doesn't mean I know a lot about football just because football is also a sport.

OK that is just plain stupid that someone think that you know about one thing just because you know about something else.

Strants

Sorry. But no. Humans are petty, cruel creatures that pick on the one weaker than them.
So that's a justification for doing just that?
Stop touting your pretend-disorder and acting like you're special because you are a social misfit.
I don't see anyone doing that. And besides, shouldn't someone be honored for working hard to overcome something?

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
I have Asperger's Syndrome. My case isn't very severe, but I'd much rather do my own thing than do something with others. For the most part.

In response to The_Panda's comment very early on in the thread... you're right. Most disorders have solid symptoms, but exactly what causes them is unknown. However, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. I argue your point about "disorder" meaning "...it is harmful to bodily function..." The word directly means opposed, or opposite the standard way of functioning, and that's what most of these are (well, exactly what is the standard way is very gray, but regardless). Asperger's Syndrome has some very distinct symptoms, like an affinity to repetitive an familiar behaviors or interests, a lack of social development (what is most commonly cited), and no learning disabilities.

While those with Autism shouldn't be picked on, humans are social animals, and those who can not join in this group are shunned, since they have a harder time contributing to the growth of society.

sanjay120

?(???)?
blah blah

10/10, great troll, thanks for the bump.

i'd love to decide whether autism/asperger's syndrome should be cured or not on a case-by-case basis. imo only severe cases should be treated, and then only with consent of the person (or parents, below a certain age that i would place right around eight or so).

as much as people think autism is part of their identity and stuff, the fact is, it can cause a lot of pain and hardship. if the child is an infant or toddler, for example, and they could be cured, i'd say go for it because if the cure works they won't know the difference and they and the parents are spared a lot of hardship. you cling to autism because it's a part of you, but let's be honest: if it had been decided for you when you were too young to remember you would not care either way. kind of like those crazy deaf people who are all like "BUT WE HAVE A CULTURE!".

now don't get me wrong, i think light to moderate cases of autism are great and provide a unique view on problems for the world that would be highly beneficial to society. but the kids with severe cases are in for a world of trouble and tbh i think it's just better to do without it.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I have been professionally diagnosed; I didn't just see it in the newspaper and think "Sounds like me, I must therefore have it!". My case isn't severe; in fact, those with Asperger's are luckier than most on the autistic spectrum. We can develop social skills, it just tends to take longer in some than in others. I actually have my sister to thank for that. Hell, I can even perform on stage pretty well, and Aspies are meant to have trouble putting themselves in other people's shoes. About 20% of those with Asperger's grow out their symptoms by adult life, and I count myself amongst them.

Also, in response to Akarin: When I was in primary (elementary) school, my sister had a boy in her class who was severely autistic; he had rudimentary language skills at best, he needed an adult with him at all times, and while he was sweet he got easily frustrated and would throw a tantrum. So yeah, I'm aware of how bad autism can get, and while it's fair to say I've pissed my parents off, that's nothing compared to that boy's life.

And I despise self-diagnosed Aspies with a passion. They're just using it as a shield so they can say the most horrible things and never have to go outside, even though those who have it are pretty damn lucky compared to others on the autistic spectrum. These people have my utmost contempt.

Sorry if I upset anyone, however, I've been close to many people who had kids with autism. It's not something to be proud of.

Not at all. Actually, I agree with a lot of your points. You can't be really "proud" of being autistic/ADHD/Asperger's/whatever; it's who you are. That's like me being proud for having brown hair.

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
Mild Asperger's case here.

I don't consider it to be a "disorder" or anything of the like. I don't hide behind it. I don't even tell anyone about it, because I don't consider it to be of relevance and they probably wouldn't understand. I'm a socially awkward math/programming whiz with a history of behavioural quirks, most of which I've already conquered. Big deal. Since I clearly don't need any special treatment, why should I pursue it?

I cried regularly right through high school, and made cat-like noises to deal with stress, but all of that is in the past now.

I understand that what I experience is nothing like what some of the "lower functioning" or even "high functioning" autistics experience, and that I'm very much blessed in this regard, so I won't apply any conclusions based on my own experience to them. They are people. They have rights, and they deserve the opportunity to explore their potential. They shouldn't expect society to treat them the same way as everyone else, because face it--that's not how people work. They also shouldn't be held back just because they have a "disorder."

Long troll post
It seems you're confusing autism with mental retardation. Autism is often accompanied with mental retardation, but they're still different beasts. Everyone is born with a mix of talents and disabilities. (Autism is just a name used to categorize a particular set of characteristics.) Some get more disabilities than they do talents. Of course, this isn't something to be celebrated, but no matter how disabled someone is, they're deserving of respect and the opportunity to do what they can.

Treatment of these cases should be considered carefully. Of course, if it was possible to remove the bad without side-effects, that would be a good thing, but miracle treatments like that never exist in reality. Most behaviour modification "treatments" are ineffective and induce much stress and suffering on the "patients." Such treatments are clearly wrong.

Also, many people who are arguably not disabled at all (including a large segment of those with Aspergers) should not be forced into treatment they don't wish. (Again, many of the higher functioning varieties of autism effectively constitute a tradeoff between one set of talents in exchange for another.)