• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The "Bad Habits" thread.

LizardonX

Banned
I leave the faucet on when I brush my teeth. I bet right now some thirsty kid living in a desert somewhere just wants to strangle me for that :D

Doux

I've had the ol' nail-biting habit since I first had nails to bite.
Sometimes I wonder if that habit is genetic, my mother's always done it too...but I've stopped for quite some time now and I have healthy, non-jagged nails now. I still keep 'em pretty short for convenience's sake, no longer stubby though! :D

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I leave the faucet on when I brush my teeth. I bet right now some thirsty kid living in a desert somewhere just wants to strangle me for that :D

I usually remember to leave the faucet off when I'm brushing. If I do accidentally leave it on for some reason, though, I don't punish myself.

I don't know, punishing yourself for these kinds of things doesn't seem right to me.

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
I'm a moderate smoker, so I suppose that could be considered a "bad habit", but when I don't smoke, I have another bad habit---I am a trichliophagiac (not sure if I'm spelling that correctly). It means that I pull out my hair and eat it (namely, I pull out my eyelashes and eat them). When I smoke, I don't do that. Eating your hair can result in beezors, which are wads of hair that get caught in your digestive tract and cause a lot of problems...I'd rather smoke. That way, not only do I have eyelashes, but I don't get beezors.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I'm a moderate smoker, so I suppose that could be considered a "bad habit", but when I don't smoke, I have another bad habit---I am a trichliophagiac (not sure if I'm spelling that correctly). It means that I pull out my hair and eat it (namely, I pull out my eyelashes and eat them). When I smoke, I don't do that. Eating your hair can result in beezors, which are wads of hair that get caught in your digestive tract and cause a lot of problems...I'd rather smoke. That way, not only do I have eyelashes, but I don't get beezors.

Erm... since trichotillophagia is what you resort to when you're not smoking, I'd try to stop hair-pulling. Since there's no real remedy for that, unfortunately, the best thing you should do is to quit your trichotillophagia through sheer determination and willpower. Then I'd quit smoking after that.

Of course, all this is easier said than done, but that's what I would start doing. :)

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Problem is, I never really notice that I'm eating my hair--someone always points it out to me, or I go to the mirror and see that I have no eyelashes. Plus, smoking has helped with another...problem I'd rather not talk about.

You probably want to just bite your lip or something every time you pull your eyelashes out... you'll induce pain, which will make you eat it less?

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Yeah, but that's just replacing one bad habit with a painful habit. I'm in enough pain and my lips are really sensitive.

Well, you can do something else to prevent yourself from continuing your trichotillophagia, right? Like reading a book or something.

Whatever solution you try and come up with, though, you have to be determined to keep at it.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I have a nail clipper on my desk.

When I'm not clipping my nails, I grab it and twirl it around my fingers. It's really weird... o:

DerpyMail

Derpy Hooves
-I don't care at all about physical appearances. For exemple, I rarely take a shower. (You may find this disgusting, but I feel good that way.)
-For some reasons, I never talk, only when necessary.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
-I don't care at all about physical appearances. For exemple, I rarely take a shower. (You may find this disgusting, but I feel good that way.)

To each their own, I guess.
It's probably considered a bad habit not to shower if only because it's a sign of lack of respect toward the people you encounter on a regular basis. :/

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I have a nasty habit (nasty for my computer, anyway) to hibernate my computer instead of shutting it down. It's because I'm too lazy to save my stuff on GIMP. But I know there's going to be a point where GIMP just spazzes out and makes me lose all my progress anyway. :/

Come to think of it, is there an advantage to hibernating a computer rather than shutting it down other than for convenience?

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
a bad habit that lots of other people do is post a bunch in threads in miscellaneous purely to raise their postcount. gee i wonder who would do such a thing?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
a bad habit that lots of other people do is post a bunch in threads in miscellaneous purely to raise their postcount. gee i wonder who would do such a thing?

Don't look at me, Wishing Star got 4,000+ posts in 6 months

In all seriousness, I don't care for something that's immaterial here, it's the good posts that people judge you.