• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ballad of an Ambitious Ambipom

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
ambipom-o.gif

;424; The Ballad of an Ambitious Ambipom ;424;

I've tried retiring. Then I tried just simply giving others advice on their teams. Then, ...then the temptation to build another team ran through my mind and infected my every idea thereafter. So here I am, trying to build a team when I can't decide what Pokémon to make it around. I considered Ubers, but OU was too fun. I considered Rain, but it eventually became boring having the upper hand every battle. Tried stall, but it somewhat bored me. Then I came to the realization that I've always been an offensive trainer rather than a defensive trainer... this made me continue my search for the perfect Pokémon for me to build a team around. Since I couldn't decide, I began to play my HeartGold version and found the old Ambipom I had raised during my breeder days and unintentionally abandoned while in my pursuit of becoming a competitive battler. This resulted in a chain of events that lead to me choosing Ambipom as the team's center. Soon after, I added my always favored personal core of Volcarona, Garchomp & Metagross. Gengar, since having great synergy with both Ambipom & Metagross, was added following the previous three. Last, because Ambipom would be the scout of the team and would therefore need assistance in doing so, Rotom-W came to mind and was literally the best contender for the slot. I began to picture it being in battle before had even the chance to engage in one with this team. Everything seemed to fall into place after I assembled the team as an entirety. My resulting reaction: That's one ambitious Ambipom. Haha.

424.gif

Ambipom (#Facepalm) @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Technician
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 SDef/ 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- Double Hit
- Low Sweep
- U-turn

Back in the Gen lV era, Ambipom was one of the most esteemed scouts known to the game. This is one of the reasons that it earned my favoritism during my time playing HeartGold. As a member of my Gen V team, Ambipom displays the same amount of pressure as a sufficient and effective scout as it did in Gen lV. Ofcourse Fake Out is its main reason for being such an effective scout, since it allows Ambipom to foil Focus Sash and Sturdy abusers and expose those whom could possibly bluff a choice item to have an alternative item like Leftovers. Double Hit serves somewhat of an obvious purpose, for which is why I chose it over the typical Return. Return simply makes no sense to me at all when using Ambipom. I'm sorry, but it just never has. Moving on, Low Sweep was chosed over Low Kick bcause I've found the Speed drop to be very useful. That, and because it helps against Scarfed switched-ins like Landorus-T and bulky Pokémon like Gyarados, Gliscor, etc. U-turn is used in times when Ambipom has to flee and scout, or when I simply predict a double switch. It's biggest problem is Mach Punch users, which is made worse now that Iron Fist Infernape and TechLoom have such a prominent popularity. Thankfully, for those who've read my rant, Gengar is on the team to stop such threats from KO'ing Ambipom with impunity.

637.gif

Volcarona (Hotaru) @ Lum Berry/ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
Timid nature
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Lets see what people have to say about this member of the team. The typical "Volcarona is so frail without a spinner" is expected. And lets not forget the occasional "Heatran walls this set very badly" comment. Haha. Anyways, with Garchomp & Metagross on the team, Volcarona has little to fear from a Stone Edge or Rock Slide. With Rotom-W, she has little to fear from powerful Water attacks. The synergy is obviously present but rocks are still somewhat of an issue if Volcarona doesn't have the power to syphon it from its opponent with Giga Drain; ofcourse, this is after a few boosts from Quiver Dance. Fiery Dance is a decent STAB while the occasional boost in SAtk is appreciated for the team; coupled with Bug Buzz, it gets the job done pretty quickly. Volcarona is 1/4 of the team's overall core and is the main specially offensive component of said core.

445.gif

Garchomp (Shark) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 SDef/ 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Claw

Its set isn't exactly an oddity, but it has never let me down thus far. Outrage is the last resort move and is mainly for late-game sweeping once all Pokémon resistant to the attack have been removed from the opponent's team. That said, I have considered Fire Blast over Aqua Tail so that Garchomp can remove such walls as Skarmory, Ferrothorn & Forretress. Dragon Claw & Earthquake are reliable STABs that occasionally help sweep opposing Pokémon. Garchomp is the main physical attack or the team's overall core and demonstrates this in battle quite well. Not much to be said for Garchomp, as most ways to describe him have already been shown for those whom have ever faced one. Other than being an excellent partner for Volcarona and Metagross, Garchomp is your typical ScarfChomp.

376.gif

Metagross (Ironhide) @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
Adamant nature
EVs: 252 Hp/ 100 Atk/ 158 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Metagross is somewhat the glue of the team's core. With its ability to take Rock, Grass, Psychic, and Ice attacks aimed at the rest of the team, Metagross proved its worth pretty fairly in battle. Metagross has a naturally effective synergy with Garchomp, Gengar, and Rotom-W, which makes them able to come in and switch out pretty easy outside of being hit with some sort of Pursuit. Bullet Punch and Meteor Mash are its main STABs while Earthquake is mainly there to counter opposing Steel types like Jirachi, Heatran, Registeel, and opposing Metagross. Stealth Rock is the team's source of hazard and helps with drawing out the opponent's spinner, making it easier to eliminate them as quickly as possible for the most part.

094.gif

Gengar (Spookz) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Timid nature
EVs:4 Def/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Gengar is by far the most annoying member of the team with its constant Substitute set ups and Pain Split soon after. Ambipom and Gengar have done a good job of covering each other's weaknesses when my prediction isn't slightly off. Though standard, Gengar's Ghost+Fighting coverage is much appreciated on the team. Gengars role is mainly wall breaking when possible and taking Fighting and Ground attacks for Ambipom & Metagross. On occasion Gengar has taken Grass type attacks for Rotom-W, but since the attack type is rare, it is hardly ever brought in to wall the attacks. Gengar is not part of the core, but does play quite an important role in aiding it.

479-w.gif

Rotom-W (Eekz) @ Leftovers
Calm nature
EVs: 236 Hp/ 56 SAtk/ 220 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split

Finally, we come to the last member of the team's core. Actually, finally we come to the closing of my team's RMT. Haha. Rotom-W was an obvioud choice for the last slot of the team, but those who have read my rant already know that. Its great synergy with Volcarona, Garchomp & Metagross and ability to complete the VoltTurn strategy with Ambipom made it the go-to Pokémon for the position. Its dual STABs in Hydro Pump and Volt Switch help round off the team's coverages. Rotom-W is somewhat the counter to Rain teams, too, which is yet another reason it is the best Pokémon for the last slot on the team. It also provides the team with the much appreciated burn support with Will-o-Wisp and annoying Pain Split to wear down the opponents who cause it heavy damage.

In closing, this team has been very effective thus far. I have no complaints other that the fact that it lacks a spinner, but I can normally play around the lack of one anyway. While making the team suitable for the current metagame, I tested it out a bit in RMUs and found no more holes than the ones I'd already noticed while making the team. I'm proud to say thst Ambipom wasn't the reason the team has lost, although it has only lost two times one RMUs and hasn't really had many notable battles via WiFi. Still, advice and any suggested changes are appreciated. Hope you all enjoyed reading my RMT and note that I may have misspelled some things, but I'm sure you'll all get the point. Haha.
;424; :637: ;445; ;376; ;094; ;479-w;​

Last edited:

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
One last bump. If anyone has anything they can see to be an improvement, I'd appreciate the suggestion.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
I normally stay away from CRMT, but since nobody else has bothered to rate this Team I'll throw in my two cents.

Scarf Keldeo and Terrakion seem to cause this Team a lot of problems, particularly Keldeo. While Rotom-W can switch into it, eventually it'll get worn down or KOed. I'd suggest using Latias > Gengar to help check Keldeo / Terrakion. It can also provide support with Healing Wish when it's almost dead and you want to heal a weakened Sweeper. Outside of Rotrom-W, this has a difficult time taking Rain boosted Hydro Pumps as well.

Latias @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Hp l 252 Sp.a l 252 Spe
• Draco Meteor
• Healing Wish
• Surf
• Psyshock

You could alternatively throw in Roost > Healing Wish so that Latias stays around longer and play around with the EVs to add more bulk. Hope this helps.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
I normally stay away from CRMT, but since nobody else has bothered to rate this Team I'll throw in my two cents.

Scarf Keldeo and Terrakion seem to cause this Team a lot of problems, particularly Keldeo. While Rotom-W can switch into it, eventually it'll get worn down or KOed. I'd suggest using Latias > Gengar to help check Keldeo / Terrakion. It can also provide support with Healing Wish when it's almost dead and you want to heal a weakened Sweeper. Outside of Rotrom-W, this has a difficult time taking Rain boosted Hydro Pumps as well.

Latias @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Hp l 252 Sp.a l 252 Spe
• Draco Meteor
• Healing Wish
• Surf
• Psyshock

You could alternatively throw in Roost > Healing Wish so that Latias stays around longer and play around with the EVs to add more bulk. Hope this helps.

Hmmm... I'll test this one out. I haven't considered Latias since my team using Accelgor, so I see no harm in her being here again. I may, however, go with the CM set instead, as I do prefer setting her up and keeping her alive and healthy as long as possible. At any rate, thanks for the useful suggestion. :) I'll test it out soon.

Rising Star

Certified Boss
Hey Ced0mega, I always enjoy your teams because they feature unique pokemon. I never really know what to say because your teams are so well-built and I'm not that good at rating teams. However, i've been meaning to rate this for a while so I'll try my best.

First off I notice that you're running volcarona without a spinner. in that case, I would recommend bulky Resto Chesto Volcarona because hazards + residual damage (sandstorm, for example) racks up quickly and sets up volc to be revenged by common priority users. It will aslo help you deal with breloom as it allows you to switch into a spore and threaten it out with a fiery dance.

I also agree with Aura Sensei's suggestion of using Latias over Gengar. However, I suggest Scarf Latias with the same moveset because it allows you to revenge kill things like scarf keldeo, scarf terrakion, and other scarf dragons.

Also, I'm not sure I completely agree with metagross being on the team because it gets completely walled by Rotom-W. For this reason, I recommend this jirachi set:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- U-turn

...or something along those lines. U-turn gives you momentum. Body slam can be replaced with thunder wave. This thing can take most special hits and proceed to cripple a sweeper. You can use wish over u-turn if you need recovery.

Another set you can run is E-belt jirachi:

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- U-turn / Zen Headbutt

Lastly, I don't think you should run ScarfChomp. Like I said earlier, Scarf Latias benefits your team more and has better revenge killing capabilities. Being able to switch moves on Chomp means you won't be walled by steels if you lock yourself into outrage or something., or walled by levitators / flying types if locked into EQ. A set that I like to use, that I think fits your team is Sub Salac Garchomp:

Garchomp (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Other than that, not much else to say about the team. I hope you'll try out some of the suggestions, especially the sub salac garchomp one. Good luck with the team Omega.

Ðew™

Definition of insanity
Really quickly, i'd suggest stone edge > aqua tail because you're hitting those 3 pokes mentioned harder minus ferrothorn. If ferrothorn is a problem, then fire fang > aqua tail. I might add more if i get off my butt and test this team out myself, but we'll see

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Haha. Thanks for the feedback Rising Star, I'm glad that you've at least enjoyed my teams. :)

Moving on to your suggestions, I chose Metagross over Jirachi because of how it handles the common lead Heatran with Earthquake and still hits pretty hard with the listed EVs. Rotom-W is 2HKO'ed by Garchomp's Dragon Claw without Hp investment(Not too keen on the damage from Outrage), so the support is present.

Second, I have considered Bulky RestChesto Volcarona when first assembling the team. However, Volcarona possesses much power and serves two roles while currently on the team; setting up a Quiver Dance or two and following up with a sweep, & being later-game death fodder. This is where Rotom-W loses its credibility as a threat to the team, as the most common offensive variants often come in on Garchomp; whom is then met with Hidden Power(Ice) or Hydro Pump. The later is a calling card for my own Rotom-W to come in and possibly set up, while HP(Ice) means a guaranteed ×1 QD for Volcarona has presented itself. True, while Stealth Rock means I am less likely to bring Volcarona in and I currently lack a spinner, I am often able to play around said issues and push a victory in the end.

On an additional note, Garchomp was originally SubSalac, but this opened a concerning opposing ScarfChomp weakness. I also found myself being walled by Gliscor... which was occasionally annoying.

That said, I will still try out the changes and be back with the results in a couple days. Thanks. :)

Ðew™, your feedback did not go unnoticed. Haha. As stated eaelier in the comment, I kept finding myself being walled by Gliscor and this lead to my choice of Aqua Tail over Stone Edge. Ferrothorn in general is not a threat because of Volcarona's presence on the team.