• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Bamboozling Forest! (814)

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I first read playerking's summary and was surprised at how pointless this episode seemed. Pancham and Pangoro could have been replaced by almost any other Pokemon and the same things would have happened. They could have had better debuts. Jessie capturing Pumpkaboo also seemed incredibly ham-fisted, as if the writers suddenly thought she should own a Kalos Pokemon right about now.

But then I watched the episode and enjoyed it. It was consistently funny and probably the best comedic episode of 2013. I also liked the Pikachu/Meowth/Starters interactions way more than I thought I would.

Dax

Legend
I have to congratulate the episode for taking the time to show each pokemon's distinct personality. I was waiting for Fennekin to show some sort of attitude and she finally did. Her preoccupation for her looks are extremely cute and so was Froakie helping her. There's was also that moment when she chewed on twigs ( I was waiting for that) and Chespin tried it and disliked the taste which made both so endearing. That's all I wanted to see. :)

diakyu

Is really a debuting a Pokemon really make it non filler?

I'm pretty sure you can skip them and not miss anything.

Jessie getting Pumpkaboo should be the only thing that makes it non filler.
Chespin using a new move should be enough though.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I also liked the Pikachu/Meowth/Starters interactions way more than I thought I would.

I liked that Froakie didn't want Pikachu to help Meowth; for once I thought he showed the right attitude and I cackled @ Chespin's willingness to help out. I also liked how perceptive Pikachu was; he realized that the Pancham were tricking Ash and the others to eat their food from the start. I like when the Pokemon show little quirks like that.

LizardonX

Banned
After the amazing last episode I thought XY was finally hitting its stride. Then this boring excuse of a pseudo filler happened. If not for jessie catching pumpkaboo, this would actually be total filler.

diakyu

I do like how they're letting TR's Pokemon have more personality now. Inkay spraying Pangoro randomly was great.

I do like how they're letting TR's Pokemon have more personality now. Inkay spraying Pangoro randomly was great.

I wish we could say the same thing for TR. Speaking of which, I find it strange that Jessie and James caught both of their Kalos Pokemon without a simple battle. What's up with that?

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I liked that Froakie didn't want Pikachu to help Meowth; for once I thought he showed the right attitude and I cackled @ Chespin's willingness to help out. I also liked how perceptive Pikachu was; he realized that the Pancham were tricking Ash and the others to eat their food from the start. I like when the Pokemon show little quirks like that.

Agreed, and they've been really building on these traits. Pikachu's definitely gotten a care-taker role and has gotten a keen eye, while Froakie seems wary of a lot of people and Pokemon due to his background. Chespin stupidly wanting to help out was pretty cute, and even Fennekin getting riled up over her tail was a blip of personality.

Sephora

yes I'm back
I wish we could say the same thing for TR. Speaking of which, I find it strange that Jessie and James caught both of their Kalos Pokemon without a simple battle. What's up with that?

I didn't mind. James catching Inkay without battling was expected (at least from me) and Jessie catching Pumpkaboo so quickly was a good thing in my eyes since it didn't take away from the main plot (I was more interested in the Pancham and other pokemon).

That part made me laugh out loud. Jessie and James's reactions were hilarious xD

Supersonicbro

Just watched the episode and i feel like the fact that pikachu showed up on the title card screen showed that this episode would focus on the pokemon and boy did it.

1st, I liked the two pancham, they were mischievous but caring. Sadly it isn't that special because we've seen a lot of cute pokemon play that card before.

2nd, I really liked pangoro though, it being show as this big tough pokemon in the beginning and then shown powerless without it's twig was nice, yeah it was basically another krokorok but this actually shows why the pangoro species has the twig.

3rd, the starters. Now that they are all in the gang, this was a good time to show their personalities. Froakie was shown to be more cautious and apparently a bit shy when it covered it's head when pikachu came?

Chespin was already built up a bit last episode so it continued with his love of food. But also it showed how he's not a coward when pangoro charged at him.

And now fennekin, fennekin got the most I think because it hasn't really had an episode to itself. It was shown to have a very cautious outlook on the way it looks when it hid it's tail when pikachu and co. came over. I liked the interaction between froakie and fennekin leading to froakie blushing. And also the twig thing was a nice reference to it's pokemon entry, I like that they are putting the things like that into their personalities.

And last, team rockets pokemon. This episode showed one thing to me...team rocket has some pretty weird pokemon, not weird in how they look. But how they act. Starting off with inkay, first off with the vacant expression on it's face while james is holding him, i was laughing at that. And then the random ink squirt at pangoro was where I lost it. I like that they gave it a weird personality like that, that's why people like wobbuffet so much, it was so random and nobody knew what it was gonna do next.

And now pumpkaboo, I've only seen it in one episode, and i already like it. The way it keeps on randomly flashing it's lights everywhere gives me another weird vibe from it and it made me laugh a bit.

Hopefully they keep up with the character development in the pokemon too like this, and hopefully it's in new ways because the whole split up thing is kinda getting overdone.

I didn't mind. James catching Inkay without battling was expected (at least from me) and Jessie catching Pumpkaboo so quickly was a good thing in my eyes since it didn't take away from the main plot (I was more interested in the Pancham and other pokemon).

I didn't mind it either, but I was just wondering why the writers are giving us these kinds of captures for TR. Likely for timing purposes, but there's also the fact of dedicating singular episodes to these captures. Again, I don't mind it, but it's really peculiar to me as well.

Lorde

I agree. I wanted Jessie to get Pumpkaboo quickly anyway since I wanted to see the Pancham and Pangoro some more, so I didn't have a problem with Jessie's capture. It was quick and to the point and I was impressed by Pumpkaboo's Leech Seed; I didn't expect for it to be used to trap Pokemon like that.

Supersonicbro

I didn't mind it either, but I was just wondering why the writers are giving us these kinds of captures for TR. Likely for timing purposes, but there's also the fact of dedicating singular episodes to these captures. Again, I don't mind it, but it's really peculiar to me as well.

all or most of team rockets captures have been through abnormal ways, jessie caught seviper by battling it herself after it bit her hair, she got wobbufet in a trade by accident, she caught yanma after another trainer weakened it, and wurmple while it was on a tree branch randomly.

james develops more of a connection with his pokemon, yamask and inkay were both caught through food, and pokemon he had during his childhood.

all or most of team rockets captures have been through abnormal ways, jessie caught seviper by battling it herself after it bit her hair, she got wobbufet in a trade by accident, she caught yanma after another trainer weakened it, and wurmple while it was on a tree branch randomly.

james develops more of a connection with his pokemon, yamask and inkay were both caught through food, and pokemon he had during his childhood.

Oh, okay. But I was expecting just a tad bit of difficulty in the capture.

Now that I look at it, I'll admit that the scenes of TR's Kalos captures felt a bit hollow to me.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Just watched the raw, pretty ecstatic about this episode, potential to actually rave about it.

Ash is likely getting skiddo.

Yeah, or Phantump, or no Grass-type at all.

Even without the capture this still wouldn't be a filler.

Without Pumpkaboo and Chespin showing off Vine Whip, it would've, but it would have been a good filler that showed of individual character traits of probably every pokemon, with the exception of Bunnelby.

Not while Alexa has her hands on Gogoat. At this point, I'm more partial to Ash getting a Phantump so he can fill his "Ghost" slot that Haunter has left vacant since the middle of the first season.

I've probably been partial for Phantump for the Alexa reason. I can't seem to get my head around why people want Ash to get both Gogoat and an eventual Noivern.. I know the choices are limited, but Ash should stay clear off copying Alexa's team, it would be incredibly boring and uninspired.

I first read playerking's summary and was surprised at how pointless this episode seemed. Pancham and Pangoro could have been replaced by almost any other Pokemon and the same things would have happened. They could have had better debuts. Jessie capturing Pumpkaboo also seemed incredibly ham-fisted, as if the writers suddenly thought she should own a Kalos Pokemon right about now.

But then I watched the episode and enjoyed it. It was consistently funny and probably the best comedic episode of 2013. I also liked the Pikachu/Meowth/Starters interactions way more than I thought I would.

I completely agree. I'm just going to sum up a few things that I liked a lot:
- Having the entire group out for lunch. Effing BW probably hated these scenes.
- Fletchling trying to chase TR, but failing: So much for generic bird popping the balloon. This failure made me interested in how they would get to the balloon eventually.
- TR bickering on who gets to claim credit: THEY HAVE PERSONATIES AND EGO'S!!! :D
- The starters having blimps of personality shown: Froakie is wary, puts on its frubble-mask and doesn't want to help Meowth - and blushed, d'aww, Chespin is clueless and the glutton thing is a bit touched upon. Fennekin is vain and likely female. Great simple exposition.
- Dedenne is used to find the group?! And they resort to flashbacking to an earlier episode?? MY GOD!! THE CONTINUITY PEOPLE, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
- Pumpkaboo is a great addition to Team Rocket. I like the weird flashlight thing it does.. And I liked the mirrored reactions James and Meowth had to the capture, as to when James captured Inkay.
- The battle: Ash used Quick Attack and Fling, super effective! Honestly, inventive use of Leech Seed, good note that the absorption didn't work on Chespin, and great that it took effort to launch an attack while constricted. Also, great that Ash took charge at that point and just dove into the situation head first and that most of the pokemon backed him up.

Negatives:
- TR easily captured a Pangoro and a Pancham, and thus they wait for the twerps to return? You've captured two wild pokemon, throw a damn pokeball or electric netcage and send them to the boss! Why waste the time and opportunity? The odds are that you'll get another chance for the starters, so no point in waiting on them...
- Pangoro and Pancham are not really my favorite designs, but this is really a small point and I ignored it.
- The translation machine was just weird and I think unnecessary in this episode, also that scene moved along too slow.. and the machine opens up a truckload of plotholes..

Team Rocket having less personality? Personally, I thought them bickering over who was going to get the credit for the capture of the starters was a good show of how they do have personalities and are not mindless drones.

Team Rocket barely catch any pokemon with a battle..
- Seviper: Caught after Jessie manhandles the poor thing..
- Wurmple: Jessie just throws the ball after noticing the Wurmple..
- Cacnea: After providing food
- Woobat: Offscreen
- Yamask: After providing food
- Frillish: Offscreen
- Amoongus: Offscreen
- Inkay: After providing food and just throwing a ball
- Pumpkaboo: Random
- James' cute captures: Were at parents/relative/summer houses..

I honestly think they have never caught a pokemon after fighting them the proper way.

Edit: Ninja'd.. :p

Agreed, and they've been really building on these traits. Pikachu's definitely gotten a care-taker role and has gotten a keen eye, while Froakie seems wary of a lot of people and Pokemon due to his background. Chespin stupidly wanting to help out was pretty cute, and even Fennekin getting riled up over her tail was a blip of personality.

I agree with this. They also touched upon Chespin's eating habits again, or in any case, they focused his foodtray more than the others.. Which is good.. This is more than they focused on a certain Gluttonous Swinub.. Especially with a certain future episode being foreshadowed in the 2014 previews.. :p

Last edited:
Team Rocket having less personality? Personally, I thought them bickering over who was going to get the credit for the capture of the starters was a good show of how they do have personalities and are not mindless drones.

Team Rocket barely catch any pokemon with a battle..
- Seviper: Caught after Jessie manhandles the poor thing..
- Wurmple: Jessie just throws the ball after noticing the Wurmple..
- Cacnea: After providing food
- Woobat: Offscreen
- Yamask: After providing food
- Frillish: Offscreen
- Amoongus: Offscreen
- Inkay: After providing food and just throwing a ball
- Pumpkaboo: Random
- James' cute captures: Were at parents/relative/summer houses..

I didn't say TR didn't have less personality (unless I missed something on my own posts). I was just a bit bothered by how easy James was able to capture Inkay, and Jessie with Pumpkaboo. I know there are many other examples of them capturing their Pokemon easily, but I just feel bothered by these ones for some reason. Just ignore me if I continue to bring this up.

Lorde

I asked this before, but does anyone know why Jessie and James were arguing after they caught Pikachu and the Kalos Starters? I didn't watch any subs of the episode because of the ongoing translation errors, and I'm not really sure what happened during that scene that caused them to battle each other with Inkay and Wobbuffet.

Supersonicbro

Oh, okay. But I was expecting just a tad bit of difficulty in the capture.

Now that I look at it, I'll admit that the scenes of TR's Kalos captures felt a bit hollow to me.

really? i mean it is good to see some reasoning or buildup behind the captures, but i think showing it in a comedic and simple way is better than a few they did in the past. if you noticed, yamask was the only one i mentioned from bw (not hating on bw, just part of the conversation), this is because all the other captures in bw were offscreen. I'm glad they didn't at least do it that way.