• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Battle For The Badge! (063)

Swagga09

It was an okay episode. it was nice to see Pidgeotto get some screentime for ONCE.

Blessed

An interesting episode. I liked the battle at the end with Ash & Jessie. Why Ash hasn't met Giovanni yet despite the fact many seasons past by I don't know.

It's because they are waiting until the last season (or last TR season) for them to battle probably. That doesn't really make sense though because they are acting like the main hero and main villain can't have any fights prior to their last encounter. I think they might have something HUGE planned with Giovanni though.

7threst

Yeah, this gym battle was quite a disappointing - considering Ash was able to waltz over them. I would much rather have seen a battle between Ash and Giovanni. Now, Gary appearance rate is increasing, which is pretty well-timed - considering it was at the end of obtaining all the badges and the league up ahead. That just made the whole end of Kanto way more interesting.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Yeah, this gym battle was quite a disappointing - considering Ash was able to waltz over them. I would much rather have seen a battle between Ash and Giovanni. Now, Gary appearance rate is increasing, which is pretty well-timed - considering it was at the end of obtaining all the badges and the league up ahead. That just made the whole end of Kanto way more interesting.

Ash would have been crushed against Giovanni. Did you see the Pokemon he had? I'm sorry but Ash was not ready for the leader of that gym or the league back then.

Last edited:
An amazing episode. I like how Jessie was the Gym Leader and the addition of the stands that made the Trainers feel their Pokemon's pain. But, what I don't understand, is how did Bulbsaur felt hurt when Kingler used Bubble on him.

I still remember to this day exactly where I was when I first saw this episode on sm:TV Live, purely because at the time I had no idea that Mewtwo was to be in it! Unfortunately that was really the only reason, because the rest of it is pretty damn disappointing.
Gary overpowered Gio's first 2 pokemon far too easily, especially with just a tackle attack... Furthermore, check out the wide shot of all 3 of TRs pokes. Machamp is massive!

NPT

Just a member
It was disappointing that Ash didn't get to battle Giovanni......but he if did, he would've lost to Mewtwo. So I'm kinda happy that Ash defeated Jessie, James and Meowth instead, who were using Giovanni's Pokémon.
I didn't like how they were shocking Ash whenever his Pokémon were getting hurt, Despite TRio's cheap ways, Ash didn't give up and defeated them. I'm glad Ash got the Earth badge, but I didn't like how his Pikachu defeated Rhydon, a Ground-type Pokémon with Thunderbolt despite Ground-type's
immunity to Electric attacks. That's was just bad writing in my opinion, and it's one of the flaws of the Kanto saga.

As usual, Gary was overconfident in this episode, I didn't like how he was showing off his 10 badges to Ash. He (Gary-stu) even defeated Giovanni's powerful Pokémon easily, untill Giovanni send out MEWTWO! Gary tried to defeat Mewtwo, only to be get owned by him.
The best parts of the episode were the scenes with Mewtwo and the scene where Gary's Cheerleaders started to cheer for ASH! That must've been a turn of events for Gary.
Anyway, this was a good episode and also a good setup for the first movie.

Last edited:
"What the actual blue heck!?" was what what i was thinking when Giovanni sent out (armored) Mewtwo!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I still wish that Ash had actually battled Giovanni for the Earth Badge instead of the Team Rocket trio, but alas. I mean Ash would've won the badge regardless, but it was really hard to take the battle seriously with Team Rocket being involved. But I cackled at TR's attempts to get Togepi at least.

JudySpell

Banned
The TRio battling Ash for his final Kanto badge seemed underwhelming and I wish Giovanni was Ash's opponent instead. 6/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Wow Gary having ten badges here really impressed me and I liked how we saw him battle Giovanni and almost win until Mewtwo was used. Giovanni not even wanting Togepi was also interesting. ^^

Okay so Ash battling Jessie and James for his final Badge was a nice twist, but I wonder why the writer's didn't make Ash face Giovanni instead.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looks like the Satoshi-tachi got back to Tokiwa City pretty fast. When Shigeru showed Satoshi his ten badges, I was impressed that he had achieved so much. Him versus Sakaki's Mewtwo actually made me feel bad for Shigeru since he lost so unfairly, and Sakaki not wanting Togepy made me snicker.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
but I wonder why the writer's didn't make Ash face Giovanni instead.

Hmmm well even if Giovanni hadn't left the Viridian gym, I figure that Giovanni vs Ash would've ended with Ash losing. So I suppose that the writers just took the easy way out by having Ash defeat Team Rocket.