• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Beginning of a New End. AAMistyL

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
Awsome, precious stones! And MALLET! :D

And Misty nursed Ash back to health, aw, kawaii! *sighs dreamily*

Uncle Pikachu, eh? That means my hunch was right! Azurill does think Ash is her daddy! YAYZ, I was RIGHT! :)

And Ash wanted to find that gem because...it looked like Misty's eyes? He wanted to show it to her, right? ;)

Great chappie! Keep writing! :)

Hullo, this is Hullo, here to review. <--- horrible and unfunny, but I'm bored, and when I'm bored, I'm easily amused.

This is pretty good! :D I saw a few spelling mistakes, but nothing major. :)

There are two things I need to complain about. One, I really don't think Ash would threaten Pikachu with the dreaded Pokeball! But it was funny when he shocked him. =P And second, no Drew. :( What's a fic without Drew? :p J/K but if you could just stuff him in there somehow.... :p Again, j/k.

Ehehehehe.... Misty undressed Ash... xD

Something I'm confused about. Is Ash going through Kanto all over again?

Later! ;munchlax;

Esperon

An old PS luva!
Awsome, precious stones! And MALLET!

And Misty nursed Ash back to health, aw, kawaii! *sighs dreamily*

Uncle Pikachu, eh? That means my hunch was right! Azurill does think Ash is her daddy! YAYZ, I was RIGHT!

And Ash wanted to find that gem because...it looked like Misty's eyes? He wanted to show it to her, right?

Great chappie! Keep writing!

LOL, Uncle Pika was used so Azurill could come along. Erm, I've also realised that Azurill's personality changes too often...sorry about that, one moment it gets put in it's pokeball cos it might get scared of a storm, the next it's fighting single...tailed? (it hasn't got hands!) against a horge of Ekans, Arboks and other poisonous pokemon...*shakes head* bad me, but it can't be helped i'm afraid.

You can make your own mind up about the gem ;) Seemed a good way for a cave in to occur *cackles*

Will PM you the next chapter title later today and chapter 16 is up tomorrow!

Hullo, this is Hullo, here to review. <--- horrible and unfunny, but I'm bored, and when I'm bored, I'm easily amused.

This is pretty good! I saw a few spelling mistakes, but nothing major.

There are two things I need to complain about. One, I really don't think Ash would threaten Pikachu with the dreaded Pokeball! But it was funny when he shocked him. =P And second, no Drew. What's a fic without Drew? J/K but if you could just stuff him in there somehow.... Again, j/k.

Ehehehehe.... Misty undressed Ash... xD

Something I'm confused about. Is Ash going through Kanto all over again?

Later!

Yep, I haven't seen the BF episodes so when I started writing this ficcy, I wasn't confident on Scott or the battle brains, so I decided to leave well alone and stick to areas I've seen in the anime. (I like to keep this fic close to the anime) So yes, he is going through the Kanto region again with Misty (duh)

I know, he wouldn't really threaten Pikachu with the pokeball, but can you think of any way of getting a hysterical electric rodent out of your cabin while it's crackling with electricity and you have no ketchup to hand?

I'm really sorry, but Drew doesn't make an appearance in this fic. I wrote it before realising the full potential of Contest Shipping and I think with it, the fic would be too full. Plus May, Max and Drew are in Johto, Ash and Misty are in Kanto. Far far away to bring in May and Drew for some CS...But I am mulling around the idea of a CS christmas fic...Shall let you know if it appears...

What spelling mistakes were there? I ran it through Word before posting and it was 12:45 AM when I posted it, so a few may have slipped through. Plus I was WAY too tired to fully proof read...tiny bits might change in that above chapter, but nothing to the plot line, just making it read better.

here to review. <--- horrible and unfunny, but I'm bored, and when I'm bored, I'm easily amused.

That wasn't about my fic was it? *ish confused*

XxM!styxX

shooting the moon ☆
Cutest part:
Frozen where he was, Ash decided he would follow Misty's advice and go to sleep. The only thought that floated through his mind as he drifted off into a slumber was 'How much did she really see?'
AWW KAWAII!! So cute.. QUE CUTE! Misty is getting alittle feisty... it's so cute how they're the only main characters in the fic *remembers the beginning of each season when it was just Ash and Misty... at least, not until Hoenn [glowers]*

That wasn't about my fic was it? *ish confused*

No, that part wasn't about your fic. :p I was referring to the horrible part that said "Hullo, this is Hullo" >>

The spelling mistakes I noticed weren't in the previous chapter, it was in earlier ones. The two I can remember were "Thanx" which should be "thanks" and you misspelled Wobbuffet. I think you spelled it Wabaffet but I'm not sure.

I was just kidding about Drew. :p I like him, but that doesn't mean I'll despise a fic if he's not in it. =P

Esperon

An old PS luva!
OH! LOL, personally I love it ;)

Yeah...the "thanx" was my slang slipping though...*slaps fingers that type before they're told to*

The Wabbaffet was for it speaking i believe and that's how is says it's name...(wasn't really feeling like going to the pokedex so my lazy self was shining through...)

EDIT: I'm sorry, but from now on, chapters are not comming out every other day. Instead, it might be every 3 or 4 days cos after reading some of Encyclopika's work and realising that the chapters I thought were really long, seriously aren't! So I'm adding a huge chunck to chapter 16 and the original ending for chapter 16 will possibly finish at about 20, that is how big the chunk is. It will be finished by christmas though and I will not abandon this fic til the whole thing is out.

Last edited:

Esperon

An old PS luva!
Well, here is the improved chapter 16. I believe it is the longest chapter, comming in at 14 pages of word and 5,961 words for those that are interested. Hope this whets your apetite cos their may be quite a stretch for the next one (before friday i hope, however 4 sets of homework will have to be completed tomorrow night cos i decided to work on the fic instead.)

Chapter 16 - Let's Go for a Cruise! (yes, chapter title changed and i apologise for it's badness. chapters are hard to name!)

"Pikachu dodge it!" cried Ash. It was midway through his gym battle against the leader Lt Surge. So far both had lost one pokemon each in their two on two match, Surge's Magnemite to Ash's Phanpy, Phanpy to Surge's Raichu who had grown a lot stronger since their last match, able to knock out Phanpy with a single hit, despite the type disadvantage. Pikachu and Raichu had been sending sparks around the arena, forcing the referee and Misty into a rubber lined viewing box to avoid being hit, the two trainers dodging the currents as they came.

Springing off his tail, Pikachu leapt into the air as Raichu sped below from a missed Spark attack. Landing, both pokemon crouched on four paws, each on the other side of the arena from their trainers and therefore able to see both their trainer and opponent. Panting, they eyed each other up.

WOOSH!

At the same time both pokemon shot forward at incredible speeds from quick attacks commanded by their trainers. The two attacks should have appeared identical however, Pikachu's attack differed from Raichu's as electricity flew around him before the two pokemon crashed sending up a dense smoke that covered the entire arena. Nothing could be heard except the panting of one pokemon.

"Pi...pi...pi..." the dust cleared to reveal the fainted Raichu and the exhausted Pikachu who stayed up through sheer determination alone, collapsing once he was declared the winner.

"Alright buddy that was great!" said Ash as he gently took Pikachu into his arms, walking over to Surge who returned his Raichu, shaking his head.

"Well Ash, that's the second time you and your Pikachu have beaten me. Even after extensive training to increase speed and power you’re both still stronger than us and I have no regrets in awarding you the Thunder Badge!" he handed the sun symbol badge over to the excited trainer. "You must have trained your Pikachu well for it to have just learnt Volt Tackle."

"Pikachu just learned Volt Tackle?" said Ash, clueless and looking from Surge to Pikachu and back to Surge.

"It's a strong electrical attack. However it also hurts the user when used and therefore a risky attack." he informed.

"Way to go buddy!" said Ash, high fiving with his favourite pokemon who looked pretty please with himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stepping out of the pokemon centre the next morning, Ash deeply inhaled and exhaled, Pikachu perched on his sholder while Misty walked behind, yawning. "Do we really have to get going this early?" she asked as Azurill gave a large yawn in her arms.

"We've gotta get to the harbour and onto a ship as soon as we can so I can go win my next gym badge!" exclaimed Ash, setting off at power walk down the street out of the town. Shuffling her feet and shivering in the crisp morning air, she reluctantly followed, her mind still in that warm soft bed she had occupied last night.

Walking behind Ash, she found she was able to think properly for the first time since leaving the Gym in Cerulean. What was it in her that allowed her sisters to send her off to Hoenn with such little protest on her part? And even they why had she been so reluctant to go back to the Gym after leaving, but preferred to stay with him round Kanto? There must be something more to it than the old feeling of responsibility over Ash, that it would be her fault if he got lost or injured alone.

Surely it couldn't be the camping, that was terrible. Ugh and all those bugs that could be anywhere... Nor the food, for now that Brock had gone, their meals on the road had become very plain and very simple. And often very similar. What was it that pulled her away from her comfortable gym and into the wilderness. Casting her mind back to when she had been 11 and she had first met Ash as she pulled him out of a river and vowed to follow him for ever until he paid her back for her bike. Lord how immature they were back then! she smiled, thinking of all those petty fights she had shared with Ash, fights that may have ended badly but had always been resolved moments after being finished. Neither being able to remember what exactly had started the fight in the first place.

It had always been an adventure when travelling with Ash, it still was. Through her mind, memories of their times together flew, like a blur while some remained longer than others, when she had seen him lying there, dead with Pikachu by his side, a smashed chandalier nearby...the dread she had felt when she'd seen him...then the relief when he came back to life!

That feeling to stay with him had started around then, she decided, but was too young to notice. Had ever he had the same feeling she had? Doubting her own question she shook her head. Nah, he was much too interested with pokemon and battling to notice her!

Not wanting to give up on this thought she again looked through her memories of their times together. There had been a few occasions...like the time he helped her shelter from a storm when she was too tired to continue when they were in the orange islands. But surely he'd do that whether he thought of her as a friend...or more than a friend, she reasoned. But what about the time when she'd been doing that underwater play for her sisters...he had lept into the pool, despite his terrible swimming skills to saver her from team rocket...but Brock had come too...

Seriously though, reasoned one side of her mind, he had won Togepi fair and square...yet he had still given the little pokemon to her. Surely he would have only given the pokemon to her if he had feelings for her...but no, he still would do that whether he thought of you as a friend or more than that, responded the other side of her mind. It was impossible to tell.

"Hey Misty, are you ok?" shocked, she realised she had caught up with Ash, and tears had been making their solitary way down her face.

"Oh, yeah, yeah I'm fine, really." hurriedly she wiped her eyes and marched ahead, attempting to get control of herself. She had allowed her thoughts to settle on her little Togepi. Her baby who had grown up and had to leave her to look after others of it's kind in the Mirage Kingdom.

"Misty!" Ash took her hand and brought her round to face him, concern in his eyes as he searched her face for a clue. "C’mon, you can tell me anything, you know that."

"It's just...nothing, we should get going." again he held her back, refusing to let her move off until the issue had been resolved. "I...I was just thinking of Togepi...I just miss him so much!" and with that came another fresh batch of tears down her face. Hurridly she tried to wipe her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Shhh, it's ok. Here." said Ash, holding forward a pink kerchief with yellow triangles and red binding. Gently he wiped away the tears for her face.

With a light exclamation, Misty recognised the kerchief as the one she had given him years ago when they parted after the Silver Conference. "You've kept this with you?" she asked.

"Of course. Don't go anywhere without it." he replied. "I know you miss Togepi, I miss him too, but think of all the good he's doing, protecting the Mirage Kingdom from harm. What would he think to see you crying like this?"

"I guess your right...he missed you so much when I returned to the gym. Every day for weeks he used to say "Togi togeprii?..." The two smiled at each other, both knowing the meaning of the little pokemon's words. "Where's daddy?".

"Anyway" she began "we should get going." Turning away from Ash she began walking down the road, stopping when she realised he wasn't with her. "Come on slowpoke! Race you to the top of the harbour!" and with that, she took off.

"Hey! No fair, you got a headstart!" he yelled, taking off after her, Pikachu zipping alongside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arriving at the ticket office at the harbour, both completely out of breath they struggled to control their breathing as an old woman surveyed them at the counter.

“You cheated!” gasped Ash.

“I didn’t! You’re just a sore loser!” she retorted.

“I am not!”

“Are too!”

“Am not!”

“Are too!”

Pikachu gave out a small sigh as he observed the two arguing teenagers as they drew closer together as their argument continued. Deciding to take the matter into his own mischievous little paws, he gave them a small shock each that ended their argument with a smouldering bump as they hit the ground. Laughing the incident off and getting to their feet, Ash approached the lady behind the counter for the tickets.

“Could we have two tickets please for a boat to Saffron City please.” He asked while rummaging through his backpack.

“Of course…” She began checking a few things on her computer, “Well I’m afraid you’ve come too later to get on out express ferry to Saffron, it’s fully sold out due to the sudden swarm of coordinators for the new contest hall. You can either stay here until tomorrow afternoon for the next express ferry to Saffron, or you can have tickets on a different ferry that travels around the bay. It leaves Vermillion before following the coast south towards Fuchsia City, then cutting across the bay towards Viridian City where it stops for one night and then continues with a few more stops before coming to Saffron. The journey in total takes a week but I’ve suggested this to you both as there is a pokemon tournament when the ship travels from Fuchsia to Viridian.”

“Wow…what do you think Misty?” asked Ash, unable to come to a decision as he was tempted by both options. On one hand, he really wanted to get to the next town for his next gym badge, but on the other the cruise ship would be a nice break for both of them for the week, and there was a tournament he could win on the way!

“Hmm…I want to go on the cruise ship! It would be great to just sit around and not have to do anything for a week. It’d be a nice break for us all, right Pikachu.” She smiled at the little electric rodent who beamed right back at her.

“Alright then” chuckled Ash “Can we have two tickets for that ferry please.”

Tapping things into her computer, the old woman looked up at them for a moment and asked “All our cabins are for two people. Would you like two single beds or a double bed?”

“Waaaah! Single beds please!” exclaimed Misty.

“Yeah, we’re not a couple” agreed Ash as both their faces turned a brilliant shade of crimson while Pikachu snickered from the floor.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I just assumed that…never mind, here are your tickets” offered the old lady who seemed equally embarrassed by the mix up. She handed them the two tickets and gave them directions to dock E3 where their ship would be waiting.

Their ferry was huge, at least 500ft long and quite a few stories high. From the docks it could be seen that a large area of the deck was open to the skies and revealed to hold a swimming pool on closer inspection. Flashing their tickets as they boarded the ferry, they were given a pamphlet to indicate what was happening and where during their trip, as well as a map to the ferry and directions to their cabin, C8.

“C4…C5…C6…Great, we’re yet another corridor along!” complained Misty as their directions for their cabin had proved to be completely useless. “Finally!” she cried once the door with the brass “C9” hove into view.

Entering the cabin, they were pleased to discover that they had their own bathroom, a dresser and two cupboards to store their clothes in. Spying this, Misty immediately took the left hand bed and began storing her clothes on hangers and shelves, thrilled to be able to unpack fully rather than living out of her bag like normal.

“Do you have to do that now Misty?” whined Ash, impatient to see the Nurse Joy in the ship’s pokemon centre to find out more about the tournament and to enter. His bag and other belonging had been unceremoniously dumped on his bed and he was waiting by the door as she placed the last few items away.

“I’m nearly done. Surely even you don’t want to live out of your bag for the whole week. Unpacking now means you won’t have to later!” she lifted Azurill off the bed and into her arms to join him at the door, locking it behind him.

“You know what Misty, I really don’t care about all that stuff when there is a pokemon tournament to enter!” he chuckled and neatly dodged the light slap she aimed at his head. Laughing and giggling they made their way back up the ship in search of the pokemon centre. The horn of the ship suddenly made a rude announcement to the world and the peace of the water against the side of the hull as it advertised its departure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Finally, I thought we would never find this place!” exclaimed Misty after they had wandered the ship for the best part of an hour, searching for the illusive centre.

Approaching the desk together, Ash asked, “Nurse Joy, can I sign up for the tournament please?”

“Of course. Which class do you want to enter?” she smiled sweetly as she opened up the correct page on her computer.

“Errr there are classes?” he replied with a very puzzled look on his face. No one had told him that…

“Well, if you’re staying with us for the trip between Fuchsia City and Viridian City you can take part in our tournament that is similar to a normal pokemon competition where trainers face off against each other, knocking out competitors at every stage until only one trainer remains. We have a partner’s tournament where you enter in pairs and battle together in double battles against other teams until only one pair remains. But if you’re not into battling, we have three fun contests that take place on every round trip of the bay with one being held later on today.” She explained, picking up three separate leaflets that contained information and rules for each division.

“Wow…I never knew you could pack so much into just one boat.” Murmured Ash. “Well, I think I’ll definitely enter the main tournament cos we’re here until Saffron City. What about you Misty?”

“I dunno...can I come back to you later Nurse Joy?” she asked, looking up from the leaflet with the information about the contests.

“Of course you may. But please remember that there are only two more hours until the registration for today’s contest closes. The contest itself takes part in the evening, starting the appeals at 6pm.”

Glancing up at the clock and noting the time of ten o’clock the two left their pokemon at the centre to have fun and play in the playpen while they grabbed a bite to eat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You know,” said Ash though a mouthful of food, “you should enter the contest today.”

“Don’t be so ridiculous! I’ve never even seen one before.” She scoffed back.

“So? I’ve seen loads while travelling with May; it’s really not that hard. You’d do great in a contest as it’s basically just performing with your pokemon and you’ve done loads of that when doing shows for your sisters. Plus all the information and rules is written down here.” He replied.

“Hmm I dunno…there must be loads of people here who are really skilled and I’d never get past the appeal stage.”

“Nonsense. You could use Azurill for the appeal, she’d be fantastic in front of an audience as she’s so cute.” He said while leafing through the little book with details of the contest. “You wouldn’t even have to battle with her if you don’t want to as you can change your pokemon between the appeal and battling stage. Go on, what do you have to lose?”

Smiling she looked him in the eye and asked “Do you really think I could do it?”

“Definitely.”

“Thanks Ash…that means a lot” she smiled at him again, already formulating ideas for her appeal stage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“There we go Misty, you’re all signed up for the contest today. It will take place on the second deck in the main contest auditorium,” beamed the cheerful Nurse Joy. “All you pokemon are in perfect shape and any could do well in the contest.” She handed back both trainers their pokemon along with Pikachu who received his packet of ketchup from Ash with great thanks, tearing into the little packed with razor sharp fangs.

“Thank you very much Nurse Joy. I suppose I should start working on an appeal. Is there anywhere I can practise training?” Misty asked once Azurill was let out of her ball to rest in her arms.

“Yes, we have various training areas all over the ship. The closest one is just down the hall way on your left.” Directed Nurse Joy.

“Thank you. Well, we’ll see you later.” Said Misty as she followed Ash and Pikachu out of the centre and down the corridor, stopping at the correct doorway. Entering the training room, the observed other trainers, mostly coordinators with their pokemon, either partaking in battles with each other or practising appeals in a specially designated area. The battle arenas were of the plain variety with lines to mark out the centre of the field and the boxes for trainers to stand in.

Deciding to work on her appeal first, Misty made her way over to the second half of the room where numerous other trainers were practising their fantastic skills. She could feel her confidence seeping away as she watched a Hoppip let out two streams of powder, one yellow and one purple before grasping the two clouds with it’s confusion and sending a spiral to the ceiling around itself and merging the two in a dazzling display of glitter. An Arbok fired out large droplets of poison before spearing each drop with a poison sting. A Likitung sent out a ball of water from a water pulse attack, froze it with an ice beam before shattering it completely with the use of hidden power.

‘What am I doing here?’ she found herself thinking, retreating to the corner in an attempt to remain unseen.

“Hey, it’s ok Misty. You’re only doing this for fun. What’s the point in even trying if not for fun?” supported Ash with a smile. She attempted to return the gesture but found her face had oddly frozen with fear.

“Azu! Azu azurill!” chirruped the little blue pokemon from her shoulder with her body on one side and her tail looped around her trainer’s neck for her tail to rest on the other shoulder.

“Alright then, let’s give it a go.” She tried another smile as Azurill leapt boldly from her shoulder onto the ground and bounced forward on her tail, awaiting instruction.

‘Let’s see…’ she began thinking ‘What can we try that will capture the audience and the judges…’ “Azurill,” she began, “start with your bubble attack.” The little pokemon opened her mouth and let out a beautiful stream of blue bubbles. “Now try and hit with all with your swift attack!” a plan was beginning to formulate as her baby pokemon hit every bubble with a single golden star, bursting each one in a small fountain of sparkles. The result was beautiful as the tiny droplets of water from each bubble fell around Azurill as she bounced excitedly on her tail.

“See Misty, I told you you could come up with something. If that appeal doesn’t get you through to the next round, then nothing will.” Praised Ash, a smile over his face while Pikachu jumped excitedly on his head, clapping his hands.

“Thanks Ash, but I really don’t think so…actually, would you mind leaving us to work on the appeal a little on our own?” An idea had just formed in her mind of an appeal she really wanted to come up with that could be a complete surprise for Ash in the actual competition.

“Well, ok then Misty…” he replied, a puzzled look on his face. ‘Girls are strange things…’ he thought to himself as he made his way to the door, ‘one minute you have to reassure them through every step, the next they want you to leave them alone…’ Pausing at the doorway, he took one last look at Misty as she was conversing with Azurill and went down the corridor, up to the main deck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to the first contest of the S.S. Lily’s round trip from Vermillion to Vermillion.” Announced the MC, Jillian. Her brown hair was set in a display of curls that bounced with every step she took. Her blue blouse and skirt outfit enhanced her figure and floated about her as if a shroud. “This evening promised to dazzle and amaze you with appeals and battles of infinite beauty between our selection of coordinators.” She paused a moment for the crowd to cheer their enthusiasm. “And without further ado, let me introduce to you all our panel of judges. Firstly, we have Dr Jones, our chief judge for every contest this ship holds. Secondly Miss Parsons the ships captain and our very own Nurse Joy!” Each judge waved his or her hand to their introduction, smiling at the enthusiastic audience. “And now we have our first coordinator, Crystal!”

A young girl with blonde hair walked out from backstage, a pokeball clutched tightly in her hand. Releasing the pokemon inside she began the contest off with an amazing display of fire from her Quilava to give her a total of 24.3.

Ash continued to watch the entrants with mild interest as numerous participants showed off their pokemon’s skills and beauty with attacks he barely knew existed. Pikachu was completely restless and went from his head, to his shoulder, to his lap and back to his head in an endless cycle after each performance. “Pikachu” he grasped the being around the waist, “I’m nervous to see Misty and Azurill as well, but will you please calm down!”

He received a cheeky smile and a “Pika!” from his pokemon as he finally decided to rest on his left shoulder.

“And now, let me introduce to you all, in her first contest, Misty from Cerulean City!” Jillian’s hair bounced further as she introduced the person Ash was most looking forward to seeing.

Nervously stepping on to the stage, panic and fear spread through Misty, evaporating every ounce of confidence she had. Looking around like a stantler caught in the headlights of an oncoming car, she looked straight into the audience. The first thing she saw was Pikachu waving frantically from Ash’s head with a large grin on his face. Looking directly down, her eyes locked with Ash’s as he gave her a grin that sent her confidence levels soaring again. As a smile spread across her face, she jumped into the air and performed an elegant swirl to release and call upon her appeal pokemon.

“Azurill!” cried the little pokemon as she emerged in a flash of white, performed a summersault in mid air to land on her tail and bounce of the ground a few times before coming to rest. Her little face was ecstatic with all the applause and coos of cuteness she was receiving.

“Azurill, use your bubbles!” commanded Misty. Taking in a deep breath, the little pokemon expelled a long stream of bubbles to hang in the air, bouncing on her tail on each bubble to the top of the ceiling as instructed. “Now use charm, followed up by swift!” Standing on the highest bubble, Azurill looked directly down to the floor to release a stream of beautiful red hearts that exploded when coming into contact with each bubble, showering her trainer in a red and blue sparkling mist. To finish up, she leapt from her bubble to land on Misty’s head and send out a stream of gold stars that went up and showered down around the two in the continuing red and blue cloud.

The audience went wild with such a beautiful appeal and the two performers beamed as they took their bows and stood to the side to await their scores. Clutching onto Azurill, she waited nervously for their comments.

“The incorporation of yourself into the appeal was truly unique!” said Dr Jones as the microphone was presented to him.

“Yes, and using the charm from above was wonderful use of two different heights.” Complimented Miss Parsons.

“It was a picture of beauty.” Finished Nurse Joy with a smile.

“Thank you for your wonderful words judges, now please present your total score!” The main screen over the stage went blank and numbers flashed to finally stop at a highly respectable score of 27.3.

Ecstatic with her score Misty cuddled her pokemon even tighter and looked into the crowd again for her travelling companion. But he had vanished, along with Pikachu. Her happiness fading slightly, she left the stage and passed the next performer, murmuring “Good luck” in response to the trainer’s well done.

Not looking where she was going, she bumped into someone standing in the corridor. “Oh, sorry” she looked up and giggled when she saw it was Ash as he pretended to faint from their collision.

Laughing together, Ash brought her into a big hug and whispered “Well done, I told you you could do it!”

“Thank you Ash, that means a lot.” Together they made their way back to the waiting room to watch the other coordinators perform with their pokemon. Soon it was time to announce the four people who would go on to the semi-finals for a one on one battle with the normal five minute time limit.

“Well Ladies and Gentlemen; please turn your attention to the main screens to see who will be our lucky semi-finalists who will have the chance to progress on to the finals for the ribbon.” The pictures of every participant flashed over the four slots and one by one, each picture went still. First was a boy with messy purple hair and a black jacket. The next was a young girl with blonde hair and cute pig tails and a pink dress. The third semi-finalist was a middle aged woman with blue hair in a neat bob, held back by a red clip. The fourth and final finalist was, of course, Misty.

“Well Mist, that’s the first stage.” Said Ash over the groans of other trainers who hadn’t made it. “Now it’s time for some battles. And you’re up first.” He added in response to the voice of the MC over the sound system. “I’m going to go back to the stands. Good luck and I’ll see you after your battle.” He and Misty made their way out of the trainer’s room to separate in the corridor.

“Oh Ash, would you mind looking after Azurill for me during the battle?” she turned quickly and began to unwind the pokemon’s tail from around her neck. “I just don’t want her to get in the way during the battle.”

“Or course. Come here Azurill.” Giving Misty another smile of good fortune, Ash departed for the stands again with Pikachu on his shoulder and Azurill in his arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Can we have five minutes on the clock please!” asked Jillian to no one in particular. Immediately the timer on the main screen read 5 minutes, waiting her signal to begin the count down. “This is the first semi-final match between Misty from Cerulean City and Tannu from Slateport City. Begin!”

The crowd cheered on the two coordinators as they released their pokemon. Tannu, the young boy with messy purple hair introduced his Tangela, it’s grassy vines wiggling around it as it moved and jumped into the air once released from the confines of it’s ball.

“Go Gyarados!” she released her giant blue lizard onto the arena to tower over it’s opponent and gave a deafening roar once released. The clock began to tick down.

“Alright Tangela, let’s start off this match with your stun spore!” commanded Tannu, a grin smacked on his face at the type advantage he had.

“Gyarados, blow it right back with your water gun!” instructed Misty, waiting for the opportune moment to truly strike and show off her pokemon’s ability.

Tannu’s points took a hit as the stun spore was dissolved in the surge of water that leapt from Gyarados’s mouth, hitting Tangela in the process.

“Tangela, use your vine whip and smack it around the face!” The grass pokemon snapped out it’s vines faster than expected and grasped Gyarados by it’s eyebrow. “Alright, now swing yourself onto it’s head and use your poison power!” yelled Tannu, his face twisted with malice.

“Gyarados, swat it back with your tail.” The sea snake’s large tail hit it’s mark straight into Tangela’s face. Tangela was thrown right across the arena to land with a thump at Tannu’s feet.

“Get up! You can do better than that!” berated it’s trainer, fury all over his face. “Get back on your feet and use sunny day.” Propelling itself up with it’s vines, the tendrilled pokemon sent a fake sun into the air, increasing the lighting by ten fold and making the crowd squint. “Charge up your Solar Beam!”

“Perfect” said Misty to herself, this was exactly the moment she was waiting for. “Gyarados, use your flame thrower and knock it right out of the contest!” She performed this last command with a spin and a flick of her wrist.

All colour drained from her opponents face once that last command was issued. ‘How could a Gyarados know flamethrower!’ His Tangela just didn’t have enough time to charge up it’s solar beam, even with the added light from sunny day. It was engulfed in fiery orange flames and collapsed on the ground as three identical crosses showed on the judges panels.

“Well, with a stunning display of battling, Misty advances to the next round.” Announced Jillian as Misty gave the crowd a wave, returned Gyarados and retreated backstage to meet Ash.

“Misty that was truly fantastic!” cried Ash once she came into view.

“Pika pikachupi!” added Pikachu, leaping into her arms to be shortly joined by Azurill.

“Thanks everyone, I’m glad you agree.” She beamed back at the others. “Shall we go to the wai-“

BOOM!

The noise reverberated throughout the whole ship, sending people tumbling to the ground or out of their seats. Falling forward, Misty’s abrupt meeting with the floor was only halted by Ash as he remained able to stay on his feet, catching her at the last moment. Their fleeting eye lock was broken a people came pouring out of the coordinators waiting room.

“Please do not panic.” Spoke a voice from above their heads over the PA system. “Could all passengers with very strong water types please come to the bow of the ship on the main deck while can other passengers please return to their cabins. Thank you.”

There was a flurry of movement by people either heading for their cabins, the pokemon centre or for the top deck. Grasping Misty’s hand, Ash directed her and the two pokemon into the steady flow of people onto the main deck. All around them people were questioning what in Kanto had caused the ship to shake in such a violent way.

“What’s the matter Officer Jenny?” asked Ash when they were on the top deck as she went striding past.

“Well, it seems that the ship had angered some passing Tentacool and Tentacruel and one large one decided to attack the ship. The propellers have been disabled so the water pokemon may be required to help pull us to land.” She informed before being called away again.

“Wow…doesn’t look like we’ll have the final for the contest for a while then.” Mused Ash as they fought for a place on the rails. The entire top deck was a hive of activity as the crew and other passengers released their large pokemon into the water, throwing down loops of rope afterwards to grasp in their teeth of loop around their bodies. It was darkness all around when removed from the many lights that had been erected to allow the crew to see and the stars sparkled in the sky above. Sending her Gyarados into the water, Misty grasped hold of a rope and sent it flying into the air that Gyarados caught neatly in his teeth. Securing the other end of the rope to the ship, she ordered her pokemon to join the gathering throng of pokemon at the head of the ship. With Gyarados’ help, the ship began inching forwards, slowly gathering speed. At the head of all the pokemon was the ship’s captain, Miss Jones, standing on her own Blastoise that directed the pokemon towards the shore and into the harbour of the local town. Luckily it was Huyantai Town, a large port many years ago, now deserted but with berths large enough to hold the gigantic ship.

Dawn was beginning to show its pale tendrils of light over the scene just as the captain’s Blastiose made it to the shore, immediately stopping and ordering the other pokemon to help slow down the ship’s progress to come to a gentle stop next to the pier.

Exhausted, all the pokemon used to pull the ship through the night looked up for their trainers and felt relief relax through them once they were returned to their pokeballs for a good long rest.

“Thank you to everyone who donated a pokemon to help pull the ship into the harbour.” Said captain Parsons over the PA system. “Unfortunately as many of you know, our engines were disabled and this ship will now be out of service for some time. The next ferry has been informed of this problem and will be taking all passengers from Fuchsia City with valid tickets from this ship. A bus shuttle service should soon be running for those who are unable to walk to the city in time. In the mean time, everyone is invited to remain on the ship to sleep what remains of the night away in their cabins but we do ask for all passengers to have left the ship by noon. Thank you.”

Yawning, Ash turned to the sleepy Misty beside him. “Shall we go back to our cabin then and sleep before setting out for Fuchsia?”

“Yeah,” she stifled a yawn, heading for the stairs down to their cabin. “Do you want to challenge Koga while we’re here? It will save us searching for the gym later on in the year.”

“Might do.” He replied, holding the door open for her. Silently they walked down a further flight of steps and along the corridor, coming to rest outside their cabin. Without even bothering to change into their night clothes the two toppled into their beds. “I bet you with you hadn’t unpacked all your stuff now.” Chuckled Ash before sleep overtook him.

“Oh shut up.” She replied before she too fell into a slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
Great chappie! There are lots of twists and turns here!

Tapping things into her computer, the old woman looked up at them for a moment and asked “All our cabins are for two people. Would you like two single beds or a double bed?”

“Waaaah! Single beds please!” exclaimed Misty.

“Yeah, we’re not a couple” agreed Ash as both their faces turned a brilliant shade of crimson while Pikachu snickered from the floor.

YEAH, LADY! W00T!!! XD Luv this part!

I especially like it whenever Ash smiles at her. Working on his charm, I see...;)

And little Togepi! "Where's daddy?" Priceless. Just like his little sister Azurill.

Congrats on another great piece of work! Looking forward to next one! :)

Misty in a contest... interesting. =D I wasn't expecting that. =P

Not a couple... meh. Please! Admit it! You want to be together, you're going to be together, so get used to saying you are together!!

I'll be looking forward to the next chapter! :D

Esperon

An old PS luva!
Glad you all liked ;) Unfortunately I've hid a seriously rough spot in all my school work, so I can't do much work on the fic this week. Then I have to stay on friday night til about 11 to help clear up a stupid concert so can't work on it then. I will try to have the next chapter up by the weeked, but at the moment the hardest bit is getting everything i want to fit in around this brand new chunk of the ship that just got randonly shoved in.

Will post little messages on how the next chapter is progressing :D

EDIT (11-23-06) Got an idea block...not a writers block cos i could write it with an idea...but that fountain dried up...extensive tunnling work is being done by a rhydon that doesn't mind the dripping water, but other than that, it's slow progress...

Later:I've come up with a bunch of ideas for the gym battle and the way through thr gym with new traps (even if a few are inspired by indiana jones...) and ideas for the filler bit will be very appreciated...or just a poke might work...give me a pokemon to filler with...blech...

Last edited:

Esperon

An old PS luva!
Yazoo! Written about 2,400 words of the next chapter so far and just comming to a point to link in the last 500 words I previously wrote with the current bit. So hopefully the next chapter will be up tomorrow (if not tonight, but i wouldn't get too hopeful for that!)
Chapter soon!
Esperon

Esperon

An old PS luva!
Ugh, i updated this chapter last night, obviously the internet didn't agree that it was time for an update.

Chapter 17 – Help the Weak Together

After spending the rest of the morning asleep, the two teenagers decided to make a move towards Koga’s gym on the outskirts of Fuchsia City with the aim of catching the next ferry to Saffron when it arrived the next day. Leaving the luxurious ship not long after eleven, they proceeded into the town to fill up their supplies and headed off for the mountains, woods and the gym.

Not too long after leaving the port, the group was half way up a mountain and paused to gaze at the landscape behind them as it dipped away to the waters, curving at the edged to stop the water escaping from the bay. Momentarily captured by the scene before her, Misty lost all sense of herself as her mind drifted away up into the clouds on the breath of fresh air that tickled past them, stirring her hair and awakening her soul. She was brought right back again with a sharp bump when a light tickling sensation began up the side of her leg, creeping closer and closer. Her whole body stiffened as she began to tremble, clutching tighter to Azuril who began to make noises of protest.

Glancing over, Ash soon saw the reason for Azuril’s and Misty’s distress. A small little Caterpie was inching up her leg, making little noises of happiness as it felt it had just found a good friend. Keeping his chuckling to a minimum, Ash bent down and lifted the little creature from it’s climbing frame. Immediately Misty came back to life and leapt far away from the tiny bug. “Are you ever going to get rid of such a pathetic fear?” laughed Ash as he tickled the small pokemon under it’s chin as it sent out little squeaks of enjoyment.

“How can you touch that…THING!” she wailed, clutching onto Azuril tighter and bringing the little pokemon up half in front of her face to hide from the bug on Ash’s shoulder. Jumping ahead of Ash, she walked sideways to see where she was going and where the bug was. Ignoring her actions, Ash gently set the Caterpie down on the ground next to a berry bush and pulled on off to give it as a little present. Satisfied that Caterpie was going to be happy for the rest of the day, Ash jogged back to Misty’s side.

“Come on Misty, even you have to admit they’re cute. May doesn’t mind them!” debated Ash and Pikachu hopped back onto his perch.

“Well she’s just not normal then! Bugs are just so…so…creepy and, UGH!” just the thought of bugs and everything about them from the way they moved to the way they looked sent tremors of revulsion through her body. Too absorbed in how gross and disgusting bug pokemon could be, she never noticed that gradually Ash began to drop behind her, nor did she hear the quiet snickering that went on behind her.

Sharing his evil plan with Pikachu, the little rodent left his trainer in disgust and hopped to the ground to make his own way. An evil grin plastered on his face, Ash crept up behind her and shocked her with the points of his fingers straight into to her sides.

Misty’s shrieks echoed around the mountains as pokemon of all shapes and sizes leapt up and fled in fear at the ghastly noise. Not one creature could relax as soon; yells of pain in a different tone could be heard, along with the sound of a mallet making contact with living tissue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh come on Misty, you have to admit that was funny!” laughed Ash at least and hour later when they began to set out their lunch.

“No it was not!” she yelled back, blood rushing to her face. “That was a mean, horrible thing to do and don’t you dare thing I’ve forgiven you for it!”

“Awww Misty!” he pleaded again, covering his head with his arms when her mallet began to appear again, sheathed before it could be put into action however. “Look, I’m sorry, ok?” he gave her a smile that could rival Azuril’s in cuteness and however hard and angry she still was at him, it became a huge effort to continue this attitude as his eyes gazed up at her like a wounded Growlithe. Turning her back to him she marched off to fetch some water to have with their lunch.

Soon Ash and Misty sat alongside their pokemon, ready to dig into a mouth watering fast of biscuits, sandwiches, cakes and popcorn balls. Chowing down all at once, silence filled the air as everyone took their fill.

Twitching his little ears, Pikachu suddenly sat back on his haunches, a chocolate digestive and ketchup clutched in his paws as he stared into the bushes to his right. Glancing around at the others who were still too occupied with their meal, he stuffed the treat into his mouth and bounded into the bushes.

None of the others had noticed his unannounced exit until he bounded back into the clearing, jumping over the picnic to his trainer. Leaping onto his lap he began chattering desperately in his repetitive tongue.

“Pikachu, slow down and I might be able to understand you!” spoke Ash over his panicked pokemon. Not wanting to waste another iota of time, Pikachu gave him a light static shock and leapt back the way he had come, pausing to check that Ash and Misty were on their feet and ready to follow. Instructing the older pokemon to be in charge and look after the others, the young trainers leapt after the vanishing yellow blur.

Chasing through the undergrowth and attaining a few scratches on their arms and one across Ash’s cheek they followed Pikachu to a clearing where they abruptly stopped at the pokemon’s order. Carefully, they peered into the clearing where a small stream ran through, bordered on both sides by grass and a few wild flowers. There, lying on it’s side was a Ponyta. The wild beast was injured and unable to get to it’s feet. However hard it tried and struggled as they cautiously approached it could only lie there with wide eyes, terrified of every move they made.

“Shhh, come on sweetie…shhhh, it’s alright, we’re not going to hurt you..steady, steady now…” Misty tried to calm the poor beast, however it only got more scared and anxious, the flames along it’s mane, tail and legs flared up and forced them back. “What are we going to do? We haven’t nearly enough potions to help it get better with us. Even if we could get close enough.”

“I don’t know. We’ll have to worry about what’s wrong and how to treat it once we’ve had a good look at it. Why don’t you go back to camp, grab the stuff and pokemon while I try to clam it down?” He suggested to her, wiping the perspiration that formed on his forehead in the intense heat waves from the pokemon’s flames.

Frowning, she replied “Why should I go back and get the stuff. What makes you think you can get a terrified and injured pokemon to listen to you?”

“Because you’ve tried and it got us no where. Plus I’ve had more experience with a Ponyta than you. Your speciality is water pokemon. Fire pokemon are completely different in more than just their types.” He explained and reasoned.

“I know that smarty pants. Well, if I get back and you’ve been burned to a crisp don’t say I didn’t warn you!” and with that she turned on her heal and marched back the way they had come.

Muttering to himself over her behaviour, he crept into view to the little fire horse as it lay on it’s side. Curiously he noted that the grass and flowers beneath the pokemon were in a pristine state even though red hot flames had licked around their stems only moments before. Crouching onto his knees, he edged closer while continuously talking in a low, calming tone. The flames began to shrink in size as the little fire horse calmed down a little although it remained with its eyes wide open, stretched to their limit while the nose showed its pink interior.

Gently placing his hand near to the quivering nostrils, he allowed the horse to get his scent and begin to accept him as a being that was there to help and not be a threat. Slowly, he edged his hand onto the beast’s nose, coming down firmly in a reassuring manner. Suddenly the Ponyta jumped as best it could as this sudden touch of an alien being on it’s nose, just were it’s eyes denied it a full view. It struggled again and again to get to its feet while Ash continued to try and calm the animal. It was clear the animal’s energy was fast running out as it’s panicked episode did not last long as it gave itself up again to whatever fate had in store for it. Making his presence known again, Ash allowed the Ponyta to inhale his scent again and this time the little fire horse did not panic as much when he laid his hand upon its nose, jerking away only slightly as hand came into contact with the warm coat.

Softly, Ash stroked the nose and edged himself closer to the horse. The fire gained it’s size but the heat intensity remained constant. Taking this as a sign of warning, Ash continued to talk and stroke the horse until the fire began to decrease to its normal level. Running his hands over the creature’s body he was worried to notice a sweat had broken out all over the animal’s fine silver coat, caused by pain or fear he couldn’t tell.

Quietly, Pikachu approached Ash and made care not to spook the animal again, hopping up to his trainer’s shoulder to whisper that Misty was back with the other pokemon and all their belongings. Not wanting to leave where he was sitting in case the Ponyta would not allow him to approach again, he spoke over his shoulder, “Misty, I don’t know what’s wrong with the Ponyta but it’s covered in sweat. Nothing appears to be broken and there’s no blood so I can’t see why it can’t get up.”

“Maybe it got into a battle with another pokemon and became badly beaten up. It could be internal injuries, or perhaps it’s been poisoned.” She ran through her mental list of pokemon problems and how they could usually be cured.

“Perhaps, or it’s poisoned or paralysed…Misty, do you have any Pecha or Orran Berries left?” he continued stroking the Ponyta’s neck while ignoring the flames around him.

Rummaging through their bags, Misty was relieved to find a small collection of various berries, including Pecha and Orran. “We’ve got quite a few. What types do you want?”

“Anything, mix them all into a juice. A bit of everything can’t hurt can it?” he glanced around at her while she gave a small shrug before bringing out a bowl and spoon to grind up the mixture, along with a little water to help it into a drinkable paste. While she was busy with the concoction, Ash continued talking to the Ponyta, noticing that it seemed to get weaker and colder by the minute. Calling out to Misty to hurry, he found himself wishing that Torkoal or one of his other fire types were present to help warm up the injured pokemon.

“Here, it’s got all we have in it.” Said Misty as she offered the bowl of liquid to him. Giving her a quick smile of thanks he gently dropped a little at a time onto the Ponyta’s tongue, letting the creature swallow each portion before offering it any more.

It took well over ten minutes for the creature to take all of the mixture and Ash handed to bowl back to Misty, their hands brushing momentarily sending a little jolt of electricity through their bodies at the sensation. By now however the Ponyta was too weak to protest to Misty’s presence right next to its head as it lay there, unable to move. Glancing at each other, they began to feel increasingly worried for the young pokemon as its body continued to lose heat.

“We need a fire, and a big one.” Spoke Ash as he shattered the silence. They had spent at least an hour with the Ponyta with no sign of change in its condition. Nodding in understanding, Misty quickly got to her feet and grabbed a pokeball before venturing into the woods, leaving Ash with the Ponyta as he continued to rub at its side to generate heat.

“Politoed, come on out.” Said Misty in a hushed tone. Silencing the excited pokemon she quickly explained the situation and together they gathered as much fire wood as possible, coming back to the clearing every so often to fetch more and more. After at least five trips into the forest and back, she returned Politoed to its ball so as not to scare the Ponyta any further. Grasping a small branch of dried wood, she placed one end in the flames from the Ponyta’s tail. The branch instantly ignited and she hurriedly brought the flame back to the large pile of wood before it died. Making the fire as hot as possible before moving on and creating more piles of sticks and brush to create a circle of flames around the Ponyta.

Gradually, Ash could feel the heat returning to the little fire horse’s body. Motioning to Misty that she could stop her constant efforts to keep the fires burning brightly and warmly, the two sat down next to the pokemon and continued rubbing all over its flank and neck.

The two jumped as they were quickly brought out of their own private thoughts when the Ponyta suddenly sat up. It blinked it’s large eyes a few times before looking around. Seeing the two humans beside it, its ears flickered a few times, trying to remember what had been going on. A small yellow rodent hopped up to its nose, petting it lightly and telling it in its own tongue not to be afraid. Giving a little noise of understanding it sent Ash and Misty scurrying backwards as it struggled to its feet. Shaking itself all over before taking a few tentative and wobbly steps forward, it gave Ash and Misty a nudge of thanks, enjoying the scratching and stroking in received in return.

Suddenly, its head stiffened and shot upwards as the ears flicked back and forth. Turning to look over its right shoulder, it gave a welcoming neigh to a figure in the trees. Glancing into the bushes, Ash and Misty were amazed to see a herd of Ponyta and Rapidash. One large Ponyta with a strongly burning mane, tail and fetlocks trotted a few feet into the clearing, calling for the young fire horse. Turning once more, the Ponyta blew a warm breath firstly into Misty’s, and then into Ash’s face in gratitude before spinning around on its hocks to meet its mother. Carefully, the older Ponyta sniffed all over her baby before deciding it was indeed hers and no harm had fallen it before they had become separated.

Unhappy with how long the reunion was taking, a large Rapidash flew into the clearing, its mane, tail and fetlocks blazing a steely grey as it emenated an aura of power and authority while it rounded up the two members of its herd and pushed them back to the others to gallop off into the gathering darkness.

The sound of thundering hooves soon died down and allowed the two to collapse on the ground in exhaustion. Feebly releasing her nearest pokemon to reveal Azuril, Misty ordered a water gun on each fire except the one closest to them. Gazing up at the sky together, they watched as the evening sent streaks of red, orange and yellow through the sky to reflect of the clouds and give each one a comfortable, cushy look.

Sitting up, Misty welcomed Azuril onto her lap, giving her a cuddle in the process. Getting to her feet, she began to rummage through her bag for her towel and followed the small steam up the incline to find a nice spot for a refreshing wash.

Letting out a deep sigh, Ash also got himself off the ground and proceeded to set up a few stones to place a bowl of water on for their supper of noodles. Taking out both their sleeping bags, he cleared an area within the circle of charred grass spots where the earth was still warm from the presence of their patient.

“Thanks for helping me with the Ponyta.” Smiled Ash when Misty returned, clean and fully refreshed.

Feeling her insides beginning to melt at his smile, she returned the gesture and replied “Of course I was going to help. Did you really think I’d let you take care of it the whole time?”

“No Mist, I really mean it. For letting me try and get close to it while you went back to camp and set up the fires. I know you wanted to be the one the Ponyta would trust the most and I just want to say thank you for letting me.” He explained.

“Your welcome.” She sat down next to Pikachu who was rather comfortable in a muddled mess of his own little sleeping bag. Lightly scratching his tummy, he gave out a sweet “Chaaa!” of gratitude and wriggled further into the yellow mass.

"Hey Pikachu, how about we practise that Volt Tackle of yours?" asked Ash, jumping to his feet, suddenly filled with a burst of energy.

"Pi ka pika chu? Pi pikachu!" (Do we have to? I'm tired!) he replied from his rather comfortable position.

"Fine then..." he said sitting back down while rolling his eyes. *cough* "Lazy!"

"PIKACHU!"

"Ha ha! serves you right!" chuckled Misty as Ash lay smoking on the ground from one of Pikachu's strongest thunderbolts. "Ow!" she exclaimed as Ash discharged some spare electricity on her. "Right! You are going down!" and with that she tackled him to the ground, tickling ferociously.

Screaming, the two teens rolled down a small incline, away from their camp, both tangled up in each other, trying to tickle the other harder and gain the advantage. Landing at the bottom of the slope in a heap, it took a while for them to control their breathing and laughter. Misty had landed on her back with Ash half on top of her. Shoving him roughly she attempted to push him up and off but their eyes locked. Slowly, their breathing slowed and time stood still for each of them, lost in the other's gaze. Slowly, slowly Ash lowered his face closer to Misty, both beginning to close their eyes. Closer...closer until-

"PIKAPI!" jerking upwards, Ash spun around to see Team Rocket's balloon rising into the air with Pikachu caught in a spherical metallic cage. Using his thunderbolt attack, Pikachu let loose a strong surge of electricity that rebounded off the cage and dealt the damage to Pikachu, almost knocking him out.

Cackling, Team Rocket began to float away. "Bye bye twerp! We'll leave you two alone now for some special peace and quiet!"

"Pikachu!" screamed Ash, stumpling up the slope back to camp.

'Oh no you don't!' thought Misty to herself. 'First you ruin my moment with Ash, then you steal Pikachu, you've HAD IT!' "Staryu, go! Rapid spin and pop that balloon!" Spinning away, her pokemon was able to send Team Rocket back down to earth with a bump before Ash had a chance to reach his own pokemon. "Gyarados, Staryu, Azurill and Politoed!...ugh not you Psyduck!" she added when the cluless pokemon released himself. "Staryu, rapid spin again to release Pikachu. Politoed, Ice Beam once they're out the way. Gyarados, then you attack with a flamethrower....TEAM WATER GUN!" she cried out her instructions that were all expertly carried out before Team Rocket were sent soaring into the skies by the largest amount of water ever seen, Gyarados deciding to use his Hydro Pump rather than Water Gun for extra power. "Hmph." she stated, turning back to Ash who just stood there, his mouth open, a pokeball held loosely in his hand.

"What...what was that?" he asked, a little afraid of the answer.

"That was me losing my temper. Thank you everyone, return." casually she returned all bar Azurill who she picked up and took over to the water that had come to the boil over the fire and added the noodles for supper.

"Pikapi!" called Pikachu, still stuck in the cage.

"Ooops, sorry buddy!" apologised his trainer, releasing him from the cage.

"Pika pichu pika pi chu kachu pikachu." (You really need to get over yourself) he stated before bounding off back to his comfortable spot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, when all were falling asleep, Ash found sleep did not come to him easily. Tossing and turning, he finally found comfort while resting on his left side, away from Pikachu and straight at Misty. Her face was completely relaxed as she dreamed sweet dreams, Azurill tucked tightly under her arm. He watched as the star and moonlight sofened every feature of her face, making her more beautiful than he could believe. To him, she was already perfect. An inner peace descended within him and he was finally able to get some rest. Before he entered the land of slumber however, he realised the date, in just over one week, would be the 25th September. Misty's birthday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed ;)

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
Look, I’m sorry, ok?” he gave her a smile that could rival Azuril’s in cuteness and however hard and angry she still was at him, it became a huge effort to continue this attitude as his eyes gazed up at her like a wounded Growlithe. Turning her back to him she marched off to fetch some water to have with their lunch.

Hahahaha, that reminds me of a fanfic I read last night, it's sorta Pokeshippy but focouses more on the journey...but anyways, Ash has earned Misty's wrath and he decides to try his dad's old trick, the good ol' "Eevee Eyes"...*snicker*...and it works! ;)

And...MALLET! Heehee...and the bug phobia returns!

I thought the scene with the Ponyta was so sweet, aww...*sighs*

"What...what was that?" he asked, a little afraid of the answer.

"That was me losing my temper. Thank you everyone, return."

Eeep, scary...*backs away slowly*

Great chappie! Looking forward to the next one! :)

Esperon

An old PS luva!
LOL I love that bit at the end (your second quote) so much! I re-wrote masses JUST to get that bit in!

Work has begun already on the next chapter and might be up saturday or sunday, depending how much time i have over the weeked and how long it take to come up with a riddle. (Thinking of not posting the chapter after the next one until someone has worked out the riddle in the next one, or make that one chapter a 2 parter...)

More info later ;)

XxM!styxX

shooting the moon ☆
Fav. part:
Screaming, the two teens rolled down a small incline, away from their camp, both tangled up in each other, trying to tickle the other harder and gain the advantage. Landing at the bottom of the slope in a heap, it took a while for them to control their breathing and laughter. Misty had landed on her back with Ash half on top of her. Shoving him roughly she attempted to push him up and off but their eyes locked. Slowly, their breathing slowed and time stood still for each of them, lost in the other's gaze. Slowly, slowly Ash lowered his face closer to Misty, both beginning to close their eyes. Closer...closer until-
AHHH SO CLOSE TO KISSING >< STUPID STUPID TEAM ROCKET *smiles* Go Misty, serves them right! Psh I would do the same if the guy of my dreams was about to kiss me =p great chapter.

"PIKAPI!" jerking upwards, Ash spun around to see Team Rocket's balloon rising into the air with Pikachu caught in a spherical metallic cage. Using his thunderbolt attack, Pikachu let loose a strong surge of electricity that rebounded off the cage and dealt the damage to Pikachu, almost knocking him out.

How could they? WHY?!?!?!????!??! THEY HAD TO RUIN IT!!!! THOSE GOOD FOR NOTHINGS!!!! :(

That was a good chapter! :) Shippiness!!

Esperon

An old PS luva!
I'm glad you both liked that bit ^^

Next chapter should be up sometime next week, or part of a chapter anyway. Just written myself into a corner and need to write a way out...anyone know how to get two people and two pokemon out of a locked chamber using three different coloured leavers and a riddle?

Esperon

An old PS luva!
Well after umming and arring over whether to put this chapter up now and at this length i decided the chapter ending was just too good not to leave it at for a few days! Sorry it's a little short and only about 2,560 words but I hope you understand at the end of the chapter. The next one will be quite short as well but frequently updated.
Thanks and enjoy ;)

Chapter 18 - Danger at the Gym

Awakening first the next morning, Misty stretched herself within her sleeping bag and gazed up at the sky. It must have been quite early still as the light was just tingeing the tops of the trees and dew still hung heavy on the stalks of grass and the heads of flowers that surrounded them. Rolling over onto her side again, she noticed that Ash was lying half on his back, and half on his side towards her, less than an arm length away from her. Pikachu had nestled himself in his sleeping bag just under Ash’s chin and under his arm so that he was fully protected from any attempts to remove the electric rodent, as well as keeping warm and dry away from the dew.

A few droplets hung on the tips of his fringe, falling to the ground when he shook his head gently in his sleep and settled down to his dreams. ‘He really is cute when he’s asleep’ she found herself contemplating. Poking out a hand to look at the watch on her pokenav from her back, she shivered at the cold air and cursed lightly when the dew had got into all her clothes and belongings, making them damp to the touch.

Retreating to her sleeping bag again, her arm soon warmed up and the idea of getting up was delayed further by the coldness of the air. Setting her eyes on Ash once again, she started to become lost in his features.

Slowly, Ash could feel himself being drawn back, out of the lake of dreams to the surface of reality. Slowly, he let his eyelids lift up to reveal the morning before him and blinked a few times in the light. Their eyes caught the other again and the two remained locked until Pikachu also awoke and stood up with a little shake, breaking their eye contact. Coming back to herself with a jolt, Misty sat up and began to busy herself with the zip to her sleeping bag that thankfully was on her side that was opposite to Ash, giving her the opportunity to hide her fiercely burning face. She could hear movement behind her that gave evidence that Ash was also getting out of his bag and ready for the day.

Glancing round at him, she had to hide her face yet again when she realised he’d taken off his jumper and trousers for bed and still had yet to put them on. Grabbing a few things for her morning rituals and headed off up the steam again to prepare for the day ahead.

Frowning at her sudden disappearance, Ash also got dressed before releasing Phanpy and Swellow for a little morning exercise. Watching Swellow soar through the skies and Pikachu give Phanpy little shocks of electricity for fun, the little pokemon’s joyful reaction brought a smile across his face and lifted his spirits. Taking in a deep breath before exhaling, he felt full of enthusiasm and confidence for his up coming gym battle against Koga for the Soul Badge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Look Misty, is that the Gym?” Asked Ash as he pointed to the top of a building in the next valley that was barely visible while nestled within the forest of trees designed to keep all bar the most determined from finding where the Soul Badge could be gained.

“I think you could be right. We should be there around lunch time and we can then either have lunch before or after you have your battle.” She replied calmly and took the first few steps into the valley.

Making steady progress down the path that led right up to the Gym, Ash soon found his enthusiasm building and the damn holding it in cracked and crumbled once the gym came into view directly in front of them. Letting out a loud whoop of joy and excitement, Ash ran forwards towards the Gym, Pikachu bounding along side him.

BA-A-A-A-ANG!

Misty looked up from watching the path in front of her to see Ash and Pikachu, spread eagled while smacked into mid air. Slowly the pair slid down to the ground with a soft bump and lay there, slightly twitching before any real signs of life could return. Standing over the pair, Misty gave a slight frown and put her hand out in front of her and was surprised to find a physical barrier preventing them from entering the Gym.

Running her hand along the physical barrier, Misty got to the side and found it to abruptly disappear. At this moment, Ash and Pikachu were just beginning to sit up and inspect the barrier in front of them.

“Hey Misty, look at this, what do you think it is? Misty? Mist?” searching all around where he was sitting, he became increasingly worried when Misty could not be seen anywhere. Getting to his feet, he began calling out louder and louder, turning around and around while searching for the red head.

“What?” Spinning around to face the Gym again, Ash let out a yelp of shock and surprise when Misty’s head and top half appeared to be floating in mid air with a sharp line directly down the left side of her body, cutting off the rest of her body. Walking forward, the rest of Misty’s body came into view while Ash backed away, completely freaked out. Taking in his reaction, Misty began to laugh and giggle and walked back again, disappearing and reappearing again as her humour increased when taking in Ash’s and Pikachu’s reaction. “Come on, I’ll show you what it is!” she giggled, taking Ash’s hand while Pikachu quickly bounded onto his trainer’s shoulder.

Leading him off the path to the gym, Ash was astonished to see the front of the gym begin to distort and gaped in amazement when the Gym appeared again a few metres in front of where he had been previously been standing. Scratching his head in wonder he listened as Misty explained what had prevented him from entering the gym on the original path.

“You see, there is a panel here,” she placed her hand on a screen that appeared a steely grey from behind, “is an image of the Gym that appears invisible is viewed form down the road. It’s quite clever really, therefore it’s not that surprising you couldn’t work it out!”

“Hey!” he tried to protest, still scratching his head, clearly not understanding the trick, even once it had been explained to him.

“Come on then…” sighed Misty, getting fed up of waiting for him to understand the mirage and grasped him firmly by the scruff of his jumper and pulled him towards the gym.

Swinging the door open on its hinges, the group entered the main corridor of the gym and debated whether to take the corridor on the left, the corridor on the right or the corridor that led into darkness ahead of them. Glancing at their three options, they agreed to try the way on their left first as the sparse lighting stretched further down the corridor than either of the other options. What lighting there was came from a series of old fashioned braziers that sat on the wooden walls, burning merrily and sending the light to flicker along the corridor so shadows were never really shadows and light was never really light.

Treading carefully on the old wooden floors, Ash and Misty kept close to each other while Pikachu remained on his trainer’s shoulder and Azuril rested happily in her mother’s arms. Pikachu’s ears suddenly flew upwards and he spun around to glare into the darkness behind them. Strangely, as they had progressed down the corridor, every time they had passed a source of light, the light had soon been extinguished.

Pressing on along the corridor now that there was no way of knowing what lay behind them, they continued down their chosen path. A left turn. A right turn. Another left turn and still there was no sign of Koga, pokemon or any other form of life at all. A scurrying could be heard every so often of unknown creatures making their own way in their own little worlds on whatever task was to be carried out.

Extraordinarily, the corridor began to grow narrower, forcing Misty to tread in Ash’s footsteps before the floor and ceiling joined in on the closing together of two opposite sides. Soon the corridor was less than three feet high and no more than two foot wide.

Crawling forward another inch, Ash’s outstretched hand touched on a solid barrier to their progression which was not fashioned of wood as the rest of their surroundings, but out of a stone that was warm to the touch and smoother than glass. Curiously a tiny handle had been set into the barrier on the right hand side and Ash wasted no time in pressing down on the leaver.

On a set of old and minute hinges, the barrier, that was now a door began to swing open away from Ash and a light filled their tunnel. Squinting, Ash now found that it was possible to walk forwards into the next room as there was space above and along where he was standing. Stepping into the new surroundings, Ash and Misty turned to examine the hole they had emerged from and still found the height to be less than three feet wide and no more than two feet across yet their size had not been altered, neither had the opening. Deciding to leave this odd occurrence behind them, they took stock of the room they had entered.

Stone tiling now covered the floors and the walls were made of a type of granite neither had seen before as the surface was a uniform grey until touched when black and grey would swirl on the surface where it had been disturbed and returning back to the uniform grey to match the rest of the room. The ceiling was truly amazing and Misty gave a gasp of surprise when water swirled above their heads, as though the ocean had been turned upside down yet was still being prevented from falling to the floor.

SLAM!

The door they had entered by had swung shut and the black lines of the door melted into grey. Frantically they ran their hands along the walls, dismayed and terrified to discover that the door had well and truly disappeared.

Taking another look around the room, they walked forwards to where three leavers had appeared in the wall, one green, one red and one yellow. A plaque hung above these leavers and words began to form over the golden surface.

“Whoever you may be who hast entered this chamber, are you true in heart and soul to take this trial?” Ash read aloud before these words vanished to be replaced by more. “If you can pass this simple test, advance you shall go to further reach your goal. However if you shall fail in this puzzle, you will never again breath the breath of life, and your quest shall fail.” Facing Misty again, they shared a bemused look before continuing on with the riddle.

“Now can you tell me this,” said Misty as she took over from reading the plaque, “When darkness is all around and there is nowhere to turn, do you a) turn on a light, b) turn on your Pikachu or do you c) turn to the one you need most to light your way.” The three levers had changed shape from the perfect spheres they had previously been. Like putty being remoulded by invisible hands, the green knob on the left became an A, the red knob in the middle became a B and the yellow knob on the right became a C. Looking at each other, the two scratched their heads and pondered the answer to the question.

“I recon it’s going to be A. If you’re in the dark you want to turn on a light, how you turn on a Pikachu I don’t know,” he glanced at his pokemon on his shoulder who exchanged a similar look of confusion before facing Misty again. “And how can a person provide a light?”

“Well, I think it is C. Just because it says “darkness is all around” doesn’t mean it’s going to be the dark with no light, it could mean in another way.” She tried to explain but stopped when noticing Ash’s increased look of confusion. Azuril began whimpering in her arms as she continued to stare up at the ceiling as the waters shifted and flowed under and over each other. Reassuring the pokemon, Misty decided that perhaps the best place for her would be in her pokeball and swiftly recalled her, placing the ball with the other pokeballs in her bag. “Well, this is your Gym challenge, you decide.” She said with a shrug and watched as he placed his hand on the first lever, gave her a final look and pulled it down.

“Fools!” read the plaque, “You have answered incorrectly and now you shall pay the price!” A low rumble began to increase to a crescendo as their surrounding began to shake and vibrate. The uniform slate grey of the walls began to swirl black with dangerous streaks of white momentarily flying along the wall to be swallowed by the black. The water above their heads churned and the waves increased in size, soaking Ash, Misty and Pikachu who clung together in the mayhem. A wave directly in front of them hit the floor in its inverted rise from the surface and immediately the flood of water from above fell, released from whatever mystical force had held it in place. The strong currents forced their way around the little group, tearing at each member trying to grasp each one for their own pleasure to do whatever they wished. Thrashing madly in the water, the group struggled for breath as the oxygen in their lungs was soon depleted and each kicked out together to rise to the surface in a search for air and the chance to live.

The currents around their bodies intensified with every foot they rose up through the water. Ash could feel his grasp on Misty loosening so he grasped her with his other hand, tucking Pikachu firmly under his arm. Another strong surge of water shot between his back and bag, tearing the straps apart and he could do nothing other than watch his green bag disappear into the swirling depths as it was carried off by an unseen menace. Turning his attention back to Misty, he watched as her bag too was ripped from her arm and he had to take another firm grasp on her arm as she attempted to shake him off to pursue her bag and pokemon that she had lost for the second time in a week to a power she loved the most. Kicking their way up to the surface again, Ash never noticed when five red and white balls trailed away from him to follow his bag to the depths.

Their kicks became weaker and water began to trickle into their mouths as their bodies cried desperately for air. As his vision began to cloud over, Ash kept his eyes on Misty until he lost consciousness and blackness overtook his body.