• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Best Non-Explict (or E to T) Non-Nintendo Games

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Hello, everyone. It doesn't seem as though there is a thread for this, so what the hey. As a fairly devoted Nintendo gamer, I rarely run into issues causes by my many scruples. However, my dad is not a Nintendo gamer, and he's been looking for something fun for a while. He's been looking into Bioshock Infinite, and though I honestly would like to play it, and it looks incredible, I feel it would be unwise for our religious morals. He's still looking for something, though, and I feel, as the composite gamer in my household, I should really assist him in finding something less violent/sweary/sexual.

But, it's not a debate on morals or anything of that sort. I'd just like to know the good people's (your) opinions on the subject, because I've been looking on Google, and everybody seems pretty near stumped.

We currently own a PC, iPhone, and Xbox 360 as far as non-Nintendo gaming platforms go. However, this is a thread on all non-Nintendo non-M games, so do talk about what Sony's platforms have to offer.

Thank you for your assistance!

ForeverFlame

The 360 is basically Thirteen Year Old Boys: The Console, so expect a lot of violence and swearing in any game you get for it. You might be better off just playing Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds on iOS, or otherwise sticking to Nintendo games.

The PS3 has a much better selection of E games so it's too bad you don't have one.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Get hold of a PS2, then get Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus. This also gives you access to PS1 games, including the original -- and still very fun! -- Crash Bandicoot trilogy and the two Mega Man Legends games, if you're lucky enough to find those.

On PC, browse Steam and you'll find some decent stuff after a while. The Commander Keen games are pretty fun, but they are also very, very old. For something a little newer, I recommend both of the Portal games. The Space Quest games are an option, too, but they can be brain-crunchingly hard.

Honestly, I mostly only know older stuff.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
If you have a PS3 buy Little Big Planet 2 the possibilities are endless though you do have to watch out for the odd level.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
I have played Portal 2 with my dad and we did enjoy it very much.

I haven't considered purchasing a PS2- but that seems a good idea. I could even try out Final Fantasy IX with one, and I know it has plenty of other games.

Thank you three!

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
Get hold of a PS2, then get Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus. This also gives you access to PS1 games, including the original -- and still very fun! -- Crash Bandicoot trilogy and the two Mega Man Legends games, if you're lucky enough to find those.

You can play PS1 games on a PS3 as well, it's only PS2 backwards compatability that was "removed."

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
Ratchet and clank... love this series so much. just so much comedy in it and has a great story

TheGreaterLucario

Welll.... If you want a GOOD 360 game that doesn't contain a lot of swearing/sexual stuff, might I steer you towards Tales of Vesperia? There's admittedly a small bit of sexual jargon (mainly used by the 'perv' of the group, who always gets his *** kicked as a result, so it doesn't go unpunished), and some moderate swearing (maybe as far as a few 'B*tch'- and 'B*stard'-s a couple times, but nothing too terrible), but it's only rated 'T', so it's not nearly as bad as, oh, say, Bioshock Infinite.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
I have considered Tales of Vesperia- the thing is, it's a lot more expensive than most of the used games out there. But when I have the moneys, and when the occasion arises, I would give it a go.

Thanks for replying.

Enjolras

Master of the House
Non Nintendo? the Katamari games are seriously addicting... and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are really good too. Deep stories there.

wingzx

Heart-under-blade
I have considered Tales of Vesperia- the thing is, it's a lot more expensive than most of the used games out there. But when I have the moneys, and when the occasion arises, I would give it a go.

Thanks for replying.

u will not be dissapointed. tales of vesperia is on of my favorite Tales of games.. the main character is just a total Bada** u will love it

Rezzo

Occasionally
The Crash Bandicoot games are a good alternative, but best stick to the PS1 games and Twinsanity. As for recent releases, I'm really not sure. It seems like a lot of the demographic has shifted towards more adult-themed games, especially with stuff like call of Duty being ironically aimed at people under the age recommendation.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
this i basically my game rating range so i have a bit of insight on this subject.

I would say portal 1&2, sly cooper, kingdom hearts, the lego series, minecraft, epic mickey, some of the star wars games arent too bad.

Im sure i can think of more, ill edit this when i do think of them XD

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Non Nintendo? the Katamari games are seriously addicting... and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are really good too. Deep stories there.

I did see a Katamari game for the Xbox 360. I'll have to investigate. ...And get a PS2 for all those other games, it looks like. But thanks for replying!

Night_Walker

As for recent releases, I'm really not sure. It seems like a lot of the demographic has shifted towards more adult-themed games, especially with stuff like call of Duty being ironically aimed at people under the age recommendation.
Well while I'm not sure what it was back in the days of the PS1 I know the average age of gamers these days is in the 30s so it's not really a surprise that there are now more games aimed at players in their late teens if not older.

I'm not sure if I'd agree that games like CoD actively target people who're younger than the ratings say should play the game or have simply picked them up because parents don't always say "no" when they really should.