• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Best Stallers/Walls in 5th Generation

Utopian

faults & feats
jellibro!!! with recover + taunt + WoW he can stall the hell outta other walls and pokes MUHAHAHAHAHA

windsong

WEST SIDE
I know he is a physical wall, my set allows him to take hits from both sides well, and after 2+ CM's scald will still dent conkeldurr, unless its specially defensive. It depends what ferrothorn set they are running, but ideally you would remove bro's counters beforehand, and after 4+ CM's blissey is at least a 2HKO with rocks. this set has worked well for me, thought it was worth a mention

+4 Psychic vs 252/0 Blissey = 31.2% - 37%
+4 Psychic vs 24/232 Blissey = 26.1% - 31%
+6 Psychic vs 252/0 Blissey = 41.7% - 49.3%
+6 Psychic vs 24/232 Blissey = 38.4% - 45.2%

You can't 2HKO Blissey even at +6, while the whole time it's hit you with Toxic, started wearing you down, or Wishpassed to Latias or something and started to set up.

edit: my mistake. You still fail to 2hko Eviolite Chansey though.

cdawg3574

I DO THIS SH*T!!!!!
+4 Psychic vs 252/0 Blissey = 31.2% - 37%
+4 Psychic vs 24/232 Blissey = 26.1% - 31%
+6 Psychic vs 252/0 Blissey = 41.7% - 49.3%
+6 Psychic vs 24/232 Blissey = 38.4% - 45.2%

You can't 2HKO Blissey even at +6, while the whole time it's hit you with Toxic, started wearing you down, or Wishpassed to Latias or something and started to set up.

Psyshock...

I wanted to make a thread of all the greatest stallers/walls in the current metagame.
Off the top of my head, I'd say:
Cresselia (120/120/130) , for sheer stats and access to moonlight (Which is generally reliable healing, but unfortunately is nerfed by it's low PP, so rest is generally better.), It didn't gain anything in the generation shift however, so it (Unfortunately) rots in the prison that is the RU tier.

and

Suicune, (100/115/115) , for consistantly being able to run arguably the most efficient defensive Mono-Attacking moveset in the entire game (A.K.A. CroCune). In the generation shift it gained Scald, which makes it even more deadly by having the possibility to inflict burn, which is especially useful on things that wall it. It also happens to be placed in the UU tier, where it slaughters a lot of top threats, Continuing to be an Insanely powerful pokemon

Those are the most horrible walls, ever. I think Gastrodon is the best

CloudVII

Push It To The Limit
I've actually found good use with Tyranitar. It just can't deal with fighting types, but that's my experience.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
I seriously don't understand the hate on CroCune. At All. These are the days I wish I had PO/Wi-Fi so I could show you all your idiocy. Even if Latias sets up on it, unless it runs Psyshock (Which is NEVER on latias), It only needs to PressureStall for 8 turns. Which With Resttalk, is only screwed over by crits. I've Pressurestalled Latiases to death a couple times... I did die from crits once tho.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Best Wall

Reuniclus @Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/ 208 Def/ 48 Sp. Def
Nature: Calm
-HP [DRAGON]
-Acid Armor
-Calm Mind
-Recover
*Bulky enough to take some hits, able to recover, can't die of status, can set up on both defences and become offensively powerful, only a Critical Hit has stopped this guy in my battling history.*

Nebbio

NINJA!
Ferrothorn is evil!

Ferrothorn
Item:Leftovers
Moves:
Toxic
Double Team
Protect
Ingrain

I came up against this once and gave up after 20 minutes.@_@

Nebbio

NINJA!
...Except Double Team is illegal under Evasion Clause :Y

So it wouldn't be used in competitive battle around here? Sweet.

I seriously don't understand the hate on CroCune. At All. These are the days I wish I had PO/Wi-Fi so I could show you all your idiocy. Even if Latias sets up on it, unless it runs Psyshock (Which is NEVER on latias), It only needs to PressureStall for 8 turns. Which With Resttalk, is only screwed over by crits. I've Pressurestalled Latiases to death a couple times... I did die from crits once tho.

No, Latias Roars when its at +6. It then sweeps your team. Even as a last Pokemon Latias has a 41% chance of critting in one of those 8 hits.

Also maybe you're blind, or just ignoring it but Ferrothorn is a hard counter to Suicune AND its one of the most commonly used Pokemon.

Rest/Talk is worthless now meaning Suicune isn't borderline invincible against teams without Trick, Encore or so on.

Suicune isn't as bad as Cresselia but its still a piece of ****.

Gliscor anyone? I can't be the only one who has trouble killing this thing. I mean what physical attackers doesn't he wall? Mamoswine... who else?

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
No, Latias Roars when its at +6. It then sweeps your team. Even as a last Pokemon Latias has a 41% chance of critting in one of those 8 hits.

Also maybe you're blind, or just ignoring it but Ferrothorn is a hard counter to Suicune AND its one of the most commonly used Pokemon.

Rest/Talk is worthless now meaning Suicune isn't borderline invincible against teams without Trick, Encore or so on.

Suicune isn't as bad as Cresselia but its still a piece of ****.

You and your points on competitive making people sound retarded is amazing.

Anyway, on topic, a Pokemon that I cannot counter is Dry Skin Toxicroak. Drain Punch, Sucker Punch, Substitute and Bulk up can turn him into a huge annoyance then into a sweeper. I never have a hard counter to him and it PISSES ME OFF.

Gliscor anyone? I can't be the only one who has trouble killing this thing. I mean what physical attackers doesn't he wall? Mamoswine... who else?

Thats old news. Everyone runs hard counters like Thundurus with HP Ice or Rotom-W.

Thats old news. Everyone runs hard counters like Thundurus with HP Ice or Rotom-W.

Well geez I guess I just won't switch and take that hit. Seriously that's like saying blissey never gives anyone trouble cause every team runs conkeldur and you obviously should just stay for that drain punch. I find that theory-mon logic ugly. Plus why does rotom-w need hp ice, am I missing something with hydro pump being strong enough to ohok gliscor?

Edit: I am missing reading comprehension sorry you weren't pointing toward rotom-w needing hp-ice

windsong

WEST SIDE

Thundurus doesn't hard counter Glis very well -- you're taking 25% from rocks plus another 40+% from Ice Fang just from switching in, or if it's Sub+Protect and you're LO, it can actually wear you down solely from LO recoil to the point where it can KO.

And choiced Rotom-W sets aren't very solid counters either, tbh, unless you switch in on the Protect, since it can scout your move and either stay in if you're using Volt Switch or switch to the appropriate counter if you're using Hydro Pump. Can't argue that WoW + Pain Split sets counter it well though.

Honestly though, if I wanted a hard counter to Glis, I'd run something like Gastrodon, Jellicent, Vaporeon, Starmie, or Quagsire, all of whom handle it better than Thundurus, and, to a lesser extent, some Rotom-W.

And on the issue with CroCune, it's honestly really bad this gen, for two main reasons. First off, this gen gave us two ridiculously common hard counters -- Ferrothorn and Jellicent, while increasing the commonality of certain things that beat CroCune back in Gen IV, like CM Roar Latias and CB Dragonite. In addition, the new mechanics of Storm Drain screw up CroCune. But the final nail in the coffin as to why CroCune just isn't very good is undeniably the new sleep mechanics. Unlike previous generations where CroCune could just sneak in and wait out a turn of sleep against something that couldn't touch it, and would prove basically untouchable by stall, the new sleep mechanics of this generation mean that stall wears it down through hazards ridiculously easily and that offense just has to force it out for it to become basically useless.

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Well geez I guess I just won't switch and take that hit. Seriously that's like saying blissey never gives anyone trouble cause every team runs conkeldur and you obviously should just stay for that drain punch. I find that theory-mon logic ugly. Plus why does rotom-w need hp ice, am I missing something with hydro pump being strong enough to ohok gliscor?

Hydro Pump 2KO's max Sp. Defense Gliscor. How often do you see max Sp. D Gliscor?

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Thundurus doesn't hard counter Glis very well -- you're taking 25% from rocks plus another 40+% from Ice Fang just from switching in, or if it's Sub+Protect and you're LO, it can actually wear you down solely from LO recoil to the point where it can KO.

And choiced Rotom-W sets aren't very solid counters either, tbh, unless you switch in on the Protect, since it can scout your move and either stay in if you're using Volt Switch or switch to the appropriate counter if you're using Hydro Pump. Can't argue that WoW + Pain Split sets counter it well though.

Honestly though, if I wanted a hard counter to Glis, I'd run something like Gastrodon, Jellicent, Vaporeon, Starmie, or Quagsire, all of whom handle it better than Thundurus, and, to a lesser extent, some Rotom-W.

And on the issue with CroCune, it's honestly really bad this gen, for two main reasons. First off, this gen gave us two ridiculously common hard counters -- Ferrothorn and Jellicent, while increasing the commonality of certain things that beat CroCune back in Gen IV, like CM Roar Latias and CB Dragonite. In addition, the new mechanics of Storm Drain screw up CroCune. But the final nail in the coffin as to why CroCune just isn't very good is undeniably the new sleep mechanics. Unlike previous generations where CroCune could just sneak in and wait out a turn of sleep against something that couldn't touch it, and would prove basically untouchable by stall, the new sleep mechanics of this generation mean that stall wears it down through hazards ridiculously easily and that offense just has to force it out for it to become basically useless.

lol I don't even run counters to Gliscor anymore because I barely see it. I was just naming 2 members of an old team that was based off countering Sand.

Dark Sharpedo

s tier of dopeness
My favorite of all is Calm Mind Latias, man, if your down at the end of the game, I would so rely on this cute thang to pull me through!! Man with Sub / CM / DPulse / Recover, this gurl stalls very nicely.
Also, Scizor in Rain is nice too, with the fact that he is also Bulky Offense, and has access to Roost, it can stall you out for a bit, if in Rain, and with such terrific typing.