• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Beta House: Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

supercomputer virus
Story title: Reality Check

Fandom (preferably pokémon): Yes, pokemon, though it takes a while to actually get there…

Plot summary: An exceptional young pokemon fan, Jim Evans, has devoted his entire life to creating a virtual pokemon world. One day, he accidentally creates, not the virtual world that he dreamed of, but a portal into another dimension. Unknowingly he sends himself and his best friend irreversibly into the world of pokemon, where everything that he has ever dreamed of exists. This is of course only the start of what I hope turns out to be a great adventure.

Rating: I intend for this fic to remain PG if I can manage it, though it will never move higher than the PG-13 level.

Mentor needed: Seeing as this is my first fic, I just want a comprehensive mentor to help me delve more deeply into the world of writing, realize my strength’s and weaknesses, and just generally improve.

Prior writing experience: Slim next to nil. I go to school, so whatever I learned there is all I got.

Preferred mentor (optional): No preference. I’ve been here so short a time that you’re all strangers to me…

Writing sample (optional, but expected): Alright, this is the first bit of my prologue, so yeah...

I could practically hear the muscles in my face straining to stay neutral. The teacher had just told everyone that a couple of times every day we would all go outside and ‘Participate in physical activities.’ I knew that I should probably be excited, but to my nearly six year old mind, this seemed like torture. Typically, your average kindergartener would have been overjoyed at being told to go and play instead of work in the class, but I knew that I was hopeless at any sports and expected that I would get a lot of unwanted attention if I participated in any physical activities. I noticed a couple of boys on the opposite side of the room slapping high-fives and decided that they were probably looking forward to a game of basketball.

A few minutes later I sauntered outside, lingering near the double door entrance to the school. I really didn’t want to go out and play, because I knew that I would do something that would make me look like a fool. I wasn’t only worried about doing something clumsy, made all the more likely by the horrible dress that my sister had made me wear, but the sickly yellow color of the outfit clashed horribly with my dark green eyes and my even darker brown hair. The resulting effect was rather undesirable.

“Hey,” I jumped nearly a mile high. There was someone standing right by me and I realized it was one of the boys who had been so excited about the teacher’s mention of recess. “Would you like to come and play with us? We’re one player short. You should come play on my team.” He said, and his icy blue eyes seemed to sparkle with anticipation. I hastily decided that I would turn him down.

“No, I don’t think I will. I can’t play very well…” I began to say, but he cut me off.

“That doesn’t matter, my team will win.” He said confidently, grabbing my hand and steering me towards the group of boys on the basketball court. “I always win.” He added quietly, as though musing aloud to himself, quite oblivious to the fact that I was still staring at him. It suddenly struck me how large this boy was. I hadn’t really noticed before, because he was slouching, but he looked like he must be a head taller than any other boy in our class. He was thin, but not unnaturally so, and his bright blonde hair seemed to make his eyes look even icier, each one similar to a small and endless glacier. “My name’s Jim, by the way. Jim Evans.” He said.

“Emily Turner.” I mumbled shyly at my feet as we neared the group of boys.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
You've been added, Brainiac. ^.^

I think everything's been updated fine, but if I have missed anything, don't hesitate to tell me, people.

SnoringFrog

I'm applying to be a mentor.

Category: I would say comprehensive, but since the other categories are lacking ATM, I'll say Grammar and Language.
Genre Specialty: Depressing/Gore stuff is what I do most, but I can do anything
Method of Contact: PM
Some of my work:
http://snoringfrog.deviantart.com/art/Fate-s-Bottle-63566147 http://snoringfrog.deviantart.com/gallery/#Tragedy-Depression-etc
http://snoringfrog.deviantart.com/art/So-Much-More-57874910
I realize that most of the work I have there is poetry, but it's pretty much the only current work I have online. While I do specialize in poetry, I also write prose quite often, it's just handwritten for school and I haven't taken the time to type the majority of it.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Sorry for the slight delay, folks, Christmas and all. ^.^;;

SnoringFrog, you're accepted and added to the list. ^^ I put your specialties down as angst, horror and poetry, is that okay? Seeing as how they're the actual genres you seemed to be referring to. :p

DarkPersian, you've also been added. ;) G'luck!

I’m hereby re-applying to be a mentor.

Category: Grammar
Genre specialty: Kanto based journey fics
Method of contact: PM
Link to TWO samples of your writing:

Sample 1:

Chapter 2, part 2: Maggie’s Past Recalled

After making sure that he was a fair distance away from Pallet Town, Paul stopped and placed his backpack on the ground as he pulled a bottle of Revive out. He then proceeded to spray the contents of the bottle on his fainted Pokémon partner, Maggie. Within a few moments, Maggie had been fully revived and as she looked up at Paul, tears streamed down her beautiful red, fox-like face.

<I’m so sorry,> she moaned.

Paul replied, “Maggie, why would you be sorry? You did the best you could. Even I wasn’t expecting that he’d use a technique you knew nothing of. Why apologize?”

<Because I’m a clone!> Maggie wailed.

<Clones are meant to be quite strong… and there I was, beaten by one attack. I hit him at least three times. I feel like filth… it’s unspeakable… beaten by a fellow clone… beaten by one attack…>

Paul questioned his partner. “What gave you the impression you could beat Eevee? Keep in mind that he’s three months older than you.”

Beginning to calm down, Maggie replied, <I don’t know… I just thought I could…>

Paul sighed, placed Vulpix on the ground and asked the question that had been on his mind since he’d met Maggie five weeks earlier.

“When we first met, I noticed some strange Pokémon standing next to a clump of trees, as if they were saying goodbye to you. Who were they?”

Surprised, and having thought that her one-time friends had vanished when she went over to Paul; she turned away and mumbled something about fellow cloned Pokémon.

“Maggie, are you hiding something from me? I distinctly remember saying ‘no secrets’,” Paul said.

Maggie felt trapped, but knew she had to tell Paul the truth.

<Yes, they were saying goodbye to me. They were clones, like myself and Eevee. They were Rapidash, Grovyle, Vaporeon and Arcanine. Rapidash had a horn made of crystal, deep violet-blue flames and a light gray body. Grovyle had a white head leaf and the rest of his body was bluish-silver in color. Vaporeon had a black body and her type had been changed from pure Water to Water/Poison. And finally, Arcanine had Suicune’s purple mane and two ribbon-like tails.>

“And what led to you meeting them?” Paul asked, his curiosity aroused.

<It’s a long story…> came the response.

“That’s fine with me. We can continue onto Viridian City while you explain everything, because I’d like to know.” Paul said, picking up his backpack and putting it on his back.

Maggie hesitated for a few seconds, but then started to explain everything that she could remember.

<I remember nothing of hatching out of a Pokémon egg… what I do remember, though, is just being there… alive… and I was being licked by a Ninetales. I recall that it was very wet… and then, others of my kind… I found out later I was a Vulpix… looked at me. I remember that their eyes showed an emotion, called hatred – as I discovered from the Ninetales. I asked them why they were looking at me like that and one replied, <Even if you are a Vulpix, which you’re not, we don’t talk to freaks like you.> The voice sounded masculine, so it appeared that the Vulpix who had spoken to me was a male.

As I only wanted to make friends, I became very upset and ran off, hearing the worried howls of the Ninetales behind me. After a while, I found some running water. Still very upset, I looked at the water… looking at my reflection. It was then that I realized why the male Vulpix had said what he’d said. I was so different… it was no wonder why those Vulpix had looked at me the way they did.

I wasn’t the color Vulpix were meant to be… instead I was a reddish-purple color. Then I wondered why I couldn’t see out of my right eye. I looked at the water again and saw that my right eye was completely white. I later found out I was blind… unable to see out of that eye ever again.

Night fell quickly and I found a hole in the bottom of a nearby tree that I was able to use for the night. As I slept, I was constantly disturbed by an image in my dreams. It was the image of a Ninetales, kept prisoner in a building with eleven other Pokémon. When I focused on the image of the Ninetales, I heard words… faint at first, but then they became clearer. <Grayhorn… take care of my dear Maggie… tell her about what we are… she needs to know…> The words faded into silence. I heard a high-pitched howl of pain… the image of the Ninetales vanished. The next thing I knew, I saw the body of Ninetales being carried off on a stretcher.

I woke up, frightened by the dream… then I realized sweat was pouring off me. In an attempt to keep warm, I purposefully intensified the fire in my stomach. It worked, and as I recovered from the fright, I thought about the dream. <Who was this Grayhorn?> I asked myself. <Maggie? Is that my name? What we are? What am I?> I shook my head, feeling very confused. Looking upwards, I noticed that the night sky was changing color.

I watched, in awe, as the sun rose… and as sunlight broke through the tree branches. Remembering the dream, I felt a desire to find this Grayhorn character and discover the truth. I got up, left the hole and raised my head, sniffing the air. I was looking for a scent that would lead me out of the forest. After about five minutes, I smelt the scent of a creature I couldn’t identify. I followed the scent trail and as it led me out of the forest, I wondered what Grayhorn would be able to tell me about the dream. Having left the forest for good, I came across an open meadow with strange Pokémon dotted all over the place.

Suddenly, I lost the scent and stopped short, confused. As I stood there, a thundering noise could be heard in the distance. I sat down, feeling as though I would cry at any moment. The thundering noise seemed a lot closer and louder. A scream split the air and before I realized what was going on, a Pokémon stood over me, rearing and screaming defiance at the herd of brown bull Pokémon that were known as Tauros who were charging in my direction. The herd separated and went in two different directions. The Pokémon placed its hooves on the ground, moved to one side and looked at me.

<You’re a very pretty Pokémon,> the stranger said.

<Who are you?> I asked politely.

<My name is Grayhorn. I’m a Rapidash,> the Pokémon replied.

<Grayhorn?> I questioned.

<I had a dream about you and a Ninetales…> I trailed off as I recognized pain in the Rapidash’s eyes.

<A vision, hmm? It seems like I’ve got no choice but to tell you the truth,> Grayhorn answered.

<I hope you’re ready for this… I am a clone, just like the Ninetales and, of course, you. Clones are Pokémon who have been genetically engineered. That means our genetic structure has been altered to change our normal body colors, add new DNA to the original DNA, give us new types, hinder our senses… even attempt to upgrade certain parts of our bodies. How do you think I ended up with this horn of crystal? Horn upgrade failure, that’s how.>

<DNA? What’s that? Hinder our senses? Is that how I ended up blind in my right eye?> I asked, becoming confused.

<DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is the genetic makeup of one’s body – it determines who we are. Yes, sadly, it’s true. When your mother gave birth to you, she had no idea that, two weeks earlier, she’d been injected with something that would make you permanently blind in your right eye. As soon as you were born, the scientists removed you from the laboratory and placed you in the care of a normal Ninetales. Your mother was very distressed… she refused to eat and the scientists threatened to kill her if she continued that way. She had no other option but to start eating again,> Grayhorn explained, sadness evident in his voice.

<What happened to my mother?> I asked, guessing that my mother was the Ninetales that had been in my dream.

<That’s why we’re here,> Rapidash paused, threw up his head and whinnied. Moments later, three other Pokémon… I guessed that they, too, were clones… appeared.

A slender bluish-silver reptilian creature jumped out of a nearby tree. Sleek and aerodynamic, its front limbs and backside were adorned with broad, thin leaves. An especially long white leaf, almost the length of its body, grew from the very top of its head and curved downward behind its back. Standing on its two rear feet, its steel-blue colored underside was clearly visible.

A black colored creature emerged from the lake beside me, crouching on all fours. Two fins were on either side of its head, where a set of ears would normally be and were colored black. A third fin, similar in color to the first two, wiggled ever so slightly, mimicking the movements of its fluttery collar. Its slender body terminated in a mermaid-like tail fin that wagged back and forth in a steady rhythm.

A tall, orange lionesque canine stood proudly as it slowly took steps forward, after jumping over a boulder. There were black stripes on most of its body and creamy, bushy fur sprouted from the legs and underside. However, the mane was a shining purple, and the normally fluffy tail was actually two small, ribbon-like tails, that swerved by movements known only to them.

<This is Iron, the Grovyle – he had to endure a type changing experiment to become what he is now… say hello Iron.>

The Grass/Steel Pokémon winked and waved a clawed hand.

<This is Aurora, the Water/Poison Vaporeon. She’s very skilled at using both water and poison attacks.>

Aurora shifted her tail in greeting… I nodded in response.

<And finally, this is Inferno. I made sure I got him out because of the fact that he’s a failed Suicune clone.>

Inferno nodded and the three Pokémon turned to Grayhorn. Iron asked the question that most concerned the four clones. <What if,> he began in a reedy voice, <the scientists come looking for us? I think we should move on. We’re still too close to the laboratory where we were created.>

Aurora disagreed, saying in a soft, bubbly voice, <I don’t think they will. Why do you think we left at the darkest hour? It was so Persian, Houndoom, Charizard, Dragonite, Pidgeot, Scyther and Umbreon would be asleep and so that the scientists wouldn’t find out until much later.>

I decided to remind Grayhorn about what he’d planned to tell me. <Excuse me, sorry to interrupt. Grayhorn, you were going to tell me about what happened to my mother?>

Grayhorn looked slightly embarrassed. <Yes, I was. Sorry. Your mother was one of our friends… she was a Ninetales. Not even one minute after she’d finished talking to me, she was taken away and killed by one of the scientists. I’m sorry you never saw your mother.>

I stared at Rapidash and felt very sad… seconds later, tears flowed freely down my face.

Aurora shook her head in disbelief and rebuked Grayhorn. <Did you have to do that?! Look at her… she’s only a baby and you go and tell her that her mother’s dead?! You shouldn’t have mentioned anything about Rose.>

Rapidash rolled his eyes. <Aurora, honestly! She wanted to know.>

Inferno, the failed Suicune clone, interrupted the disagreement. <Aurora, Grayhorn… stop fighting. Now, look over there.>

Vaporeon and Rapidash watched as a young male human exited a small wooden hut and sat on a chair in front of the hut.

Grayhorn narrowed his eyes and then lowered his head to my level. <Maggie… yes, that is your name. Maggie, do you see that human? Go to him and he will take care of you.>

I looked at the human and turned my attention back to Rapidash. <How do you know? What if I end up like my mother?>

Rapidash shook his head, saying, <He won’t kill you. He’s too young – he doesn’t have an evil mind. Go now.>

I left my friends and cautiously walked over to the human.

A couple of minutes later, the human looked around and noticed me. The boy smiled and picked me up, saying, “You’re a beautiful Pokémon. What’s your name?”

I felt a strange emotion… happiness… and I revealed my name. <I’m called Maggie.>

“My name is Paul. I’ll look after you. In five weeks, I’ll be a Pokémon trainer. I’ll ask my grandfather if I’m able to keep you,” Paul said, as he carried me to a huge white building, which turned out be where he lived.

<And that, Paul, is my story. Now you know what I had to endure before finding you,> Maggie concluded.

As Paul and his partner checked into the Viridian City Pokémon Center, Paul said, “Wow. That’s… incredible. I’m sorry I even pestered you about this.”

Maggie replied, <It’s okay. I understand that you needed to know.>

Sample 2:

This is an excerpt of chapter 3…

A couple of minutes later, Josephine heard the approaching sound of canine baying, and before she could even wonder too much more about Jin, a pack of black-furred Pokémon came bounding up the trail, flanking a blue-uniformed policewoman on a motorcycle. Sunlight flashed off the long horns curving wickedly back from their slim heads, gleaming over the bony strips of armor arcing over their backs, and their arrow-tipped tails lashed behind them as they ran.

The officer screeched to a halt in front of Josephine, kicking up a cloud of dust.

“Good day to you. I’m Officer Jenny. I heard a suspicious person was in the area. Did you see which way they went?” the policewoman introduced herself as she dismounted her bike.

Suspicious person?’ Josephine thought quickly. ‘The only person I’ve seen is that Jin guy…’

“I’m just a beginner trainer, but I did see an Asian man. I defeated him in a Pokémon battle,” she replied, pointing behind her in the direction of Pallet. Hopping back onto her bike, Jenny paused and asked for the teenager’s name. Josephine readily gave her name to the policewoman, who thanked her and sped off, the Houndoom following close behind.

Half an hour later, Jin was standing in a base hidden by thick undergrowth in a clearing; the base was just one of many owned by Eternity. It was an old, timeworn factory; its old red brick façade was crumbling, with poison ivy growing at least halfway up the walls. Parked off to the side was a green Holden Commodore Executive series two.

Jin was facing a man who had his back turned to him. He hastily thought of an apology, and was about to speak when the figure turned towards him.

The figure was a tall man, wearing a black shirt, with a white “E” imprinted on its left pocket, and black trousers. He had long, flowing blonde colored hair; two locks of which came down on either side of his face and the fringe just above his eyes, with the rest going down to around his waist. His eyes were kind of reddish-brown and he had on a pair of long black boots. His right hand fiddled with a Pokéball on his Pokébelt as he addressed Jin, glaring at him at the same time.

“The leader will not be happy when she discovers that you have let the team down…”

“Please give second chance, Dave. I need to be part of Eternity. I need revenge!!” Jin replied.

Dave sighed, answering with, “You’re in luck. Belèn has called a meeting that is to take place very soon. And while you’re at it, I’m an Admin, remember? You will address me properly next time, won’t you?”

“My apology,” Jin responded.

“Fine, fine. Just go and get ready for the meeting,” Dave snapped.

In the main office, the leader was sitting in a comfortable leather computer chair, waiting for all of the Admins to arrive. The woman was a tall individual, who had too high an opinion of herself, with bright red hair. Covering her upper body was a military-style suit, a thin black belt was fixed in place on top of her leather trousers and her expensive black boots perfectly matched her suit. Around her neck was a beautiful, and very pricy, diamond necklace. While she waited for her subordinates to arrive, her fingers tapped the work desk and she proceeded to place one leg over the other.

As a group, the Admins arrived, with Jin following by himself. Like Dave, the other Admins were wearing black shirts and trousers and long black boots. Belèn peered at each one and was surprised when her eyes came to rest on Jin.

“WHAT is HE doing here?!” By the tone of her raised voice, it was clearly obvious she didn’t want him to participate in the meeting.

The sound of a throat being cleared was heard, and Belèn whipped her head in that direction. “YOU?!”

“It was me, your leadership. He asked me for a second chance…” Dave got no further.

“SECOND chance?! Why?!”

“…” Dave hesitated. “He failed to beat a Pokémon trainer. In asking for a second chance, he desires revenge for his loss.”

Belèn was silent as she considered this information. ‘Here’s Jin, not even a member, but merely just a random person affiliated with my team, asking for a second chance. If I were to grant him the revenge he obviously needs as a morale booster, what will my subordinates think of me?

But she would have to think about that at another time, because the meeting was due to start.

She cleared her throat. “As you are all very much aware, I am Belèn Cassae Stalag, the leader of Eternity. Let me pose a few questions to all of you. Why does Eternity exist? What are our goals, our purposes?”

Another Admin, by the name of Andrew, spoke up. “We have become increasingly aware of Team Rocket’s criminal activities; for example, the ongoing illegal Pokémon cloning and the related kidnapping of a trainer’s father. We aim to stop the cloning and free the man, while undermining Team Rocket at the same time.”

Folding her arms across her chest, Belèn appeared to be satisfied, but then a thought came to her. “And what if Team Rocket becomes aware of our activities before our plans are complete?”

“Well,” Dave began, “we’ll just have to fight them to the bitter end.”

“If that opportunity were to arise, has everyone got their Pokémon on them at all times?” Belèn seemed to be hinting at a possible confrontation.

“Yes, boss!” the Admins gave their leader an affirmative answer.

SnoringFrog

SnoringFrog, you're accepted and added to the list. ^^ I put your specialties down as angst, horror and poetry, is that okay? Seeing as how they're the actual genres you seemed to be referring to. :p

Yeah, that's fine. I'm no good with genre names...lol.

Ibuberu

Riiiight...
Okay, i'll try this again..

Story title: A Mere Projection
Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokemon

Plot summary: It was an imbalance of nature and it was doomed to never work out. Something that mother nature would have never predicted was falling into place. Strange feelings were beginning to stir within the depths of the hearts of two totally different Pokemon.
Genre: Romance/Action
Rating: PG
Mentor needed: Comprehensive would be best!
Prior writing experience: I've written a few one-shots before this.
Preferred mentor (optional): I'm fairly new here, so I've no preference.

Writing sample (optional, but expected):

“ Hurry up, slowpoke!” she called out to me in that joyous, silvery sweet voice, beckoning me to keep up with her pace. I could not help but chirp in response to the call, flapping my minute wings and digging my talons into the ground. I surged forward, powered by some feeling deep within myself that had been there for quite some time, to the point where I need not describe it to understand what it means.

I tackle her down to the dusty earth.

We land together on the floor of the field, breaking into laughter as we amuse ourselves with our endless frolicking. We gradually run out of breath to continue kipping and chirping in delight, the sounds of our chortling die out and fade into silence. Between the both of us sprawled out on the warm, soft grass, our eyes meet for the briefest of moments, the resonance of our exhalation being the only noise that separates us from an eternity of silence. I turn away quickly on impulse, not knowing what begins to stir inside the depths of my heart when I looked at her courageous eyes and shimmering skin. It is a feeling that is undescribable, it cannot be described due to the sheer mystery of its creation. It would not need a description, I knew what this emotion meant. And I wanted to tell her what it was, and yet..

“... Hey, Naiad,” the void is shattered by my murmur.

“ Yes?” she answers, her eyes never leaving my gaze.

“ How long do you suppose we can stay like this?” I inquire, turning away from her to stare up into the marvelously lit sky that is dotted by various clouds of different proportions.

“Until our trainers come, I s'pose” she answers, promptly mimicking my movements.

Can't we stay like this forever?

I had the urge to form that question into spoken words, but my fear of her reaction strips me of all the pluck I require to fulfill my wish. I curse myself for my cowardice inwardly. Had it not been for these many times where I am stopped dead in my tracks due to the nasty emotion.. Apprehensiveness... would we have a better future ahead of us?

I shan't think like this. All I truly wish is to be by your side and to watch you smile. Will it suffice this growing pang within me? That is the question that I want to be answered. For is it really true that as long as I see the person happy, will it bring happiness to me? Knowing that I am not part of the happiness she holds dear?

... no.

{ Naiad! Come back here!.. Where are you? }

I hear Cessric's voice, and know that it is time to leave. I glance towards Naiad as she slowly rolls onto her four legs, the blue fin atop her charming head wavering at the sound of the footsteps of the humans approaching. We say our goodbyes and return to the arms of our family. I know not of why at that very second, as we were about to leave each other to return on our respective journeys, that a sad, sorrowful expression was visible on her usually cheerful face.

Last edited:

Bent Helix

Story title: Pulse

Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokemon

Plot summary: Sinnoh is approaching a new age, but Dogen Kraut doesn't care. Dogen just started his pokemon journey, he wants to go to the Battle Zone, not fret over politics. But something doesn't make sense....what's the purpose of Pinnavale's new tower? If the Battle Zone is such a financial black-hole, why hasn't it been shut down? And why is everyone wearing those ear-pieces?

Rating: PG, but some elements may be higher.

Mentor needed: Since this is my first fan-fic ever, I need a mentor that can help with plot, and probably characters (So that there are no pokemon that are afflicted by Pokebot syndrome).

Prior writing experience: Since I attend school, that's basically it. I have not written a fan-fic before so....

Preferred mentor (optional): ....I'd prefer a mentor that would to tell me what I'm doing wrong, someone who wouldn't sugercoat my writing errors. I'm trying to learn to write well. So in essentials, someone with experience, and who isn't afraid to tell me what I did wrong.

Last edited:

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Saphira_Thorn: I can see you've been working on improving your reviews, which is good; however, you could still use a little work as a critical reader. For instance, a reviewer should look at the conventions an author is using (like how Commonwealth countries spell some words with an ‘ou’ and America spells the same words with an ‘o’) and take those into account, instead of simply stating that the conventions they're using are wrong if they're different to yours. It's things like that which lead me to feel that your concrits have been added mostly for brownie points, especially since it hasn't been all that long since you last applied.

I don't know if there's one here, but I do know there's a help-thread for reviewing over at PC; it might be helpful for you to take a look at that.

The other thing I had issue with the last time was how responsible it seemed you were being with your writing, and unfortunately, I don't see how that's changed at all.

This is an excerpt from one of your samples:

A couple of minutes later, Josephine heard the approaching sound of canine baying, and before she could even wonder too much more about Jin, a pack of black-furred Pokémon came bounding up the trail, flanking a blue-uniformed policewoman on a motorcycle. Sunlight flashed off the long horns curving wickedly back from their slim heads, gleaming over the bony strips of armor arcing over their backs, and their arrow-tipped tails lashed behind them as they ran.

The officer screeched to a halt in front of Josephine, kicking up a cloud of dust.

And this is an example I myself created in my review of your fic two months ago:

A couple of seconds later Josephine heard the approaching sound of canine baying, and before she could even wonder about Team Rocket a pack of black-furred pokémon came bounding up the trail, flanking a blue-uniformed policewoman on a motorcycle. Sunlight flashed off the long horns curving wickedly back from their slim heads, gleaming over the bony strips of armour arcing over their backs, and their arrow-tipped tails lashed behind them as they ran.

The similarities are uncanny, are they not? I may not have specifically stated in my review that you shouldn’t use my examples, but it is a matter of courtesy (and copyright, such as it is on a Pokémon forum) to assume that such excerpts are only meant to be examples, not to be copied or used by the author in question. To copy even a small excerpt like that is, essentially, plagiarism.

My point is, if you're going to be taking shortcuts with your own writing, something which should be special to you, that you should be proud of and taking pains to do well, then I can't consider you responsible enough to handle someone else's.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to reject you. I know you're capable of improvement; just give yourself a decent amount of time, and perhaps you'll do better in the future.

Ibuberu, you've been added. ^^ Good luck!

Bent Helix, I've added you, but I’ll have to ask you to write at least a little bit about the plot; it doesn't have to be enough for spoilers. It's just that some mentors choose their mentorees based on what the story is about, so you could be missing out on someone who could really help you by not letting them know it's something they'll find interesting. :) After you've been picked up, then by all means, tell them as much as you feel they need to know.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Okay, ANNOUNCEMENT, everyone!

It recently occurred to me that several mentors specialise in a certain genre, and so might choose their mentorees based on that specialty. However, the mentoree application form doesn't have a section for genre.

So I'm adding one. ^^

It's not strictly necessary for mentorees who are already on the list to edit their forms, but it would probably help if you did, especially if you haven't already been picked up; it might just encourage one of the mentors to do so. ;)

Ampris

Slip slidin'
Um... hi, there. I haven't really spent a whole lot of time in the Fanfic section here, at least not since a LONG time ago, but now I've got one story finished and two planned that I'd like to have some help with before posting them, if that's okay. (I've got a question, though: if I needed help with more than one fic (which I do), would I post different forms for each one or just the one to get a general mentor? I'll just do one for now, until you tell me what should be done. )

Story title: No title yet
Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokémon
Plot summary: It was written for the battle one-shot contest, so it's basically just a pokemon battle.
Genre: General.
Rating: G
Mentor needed: Comprehensive
Prior writing experience: I wrote an almost-romantic one-shot before. ._.
Preferred mentor (optional):

The monster was approaching... Or at least, he assumed so. The sounds certainly seemed right, but then, his hearing had never been the greatest. He couldn’t be one-hundred percent sure. And this nervousness was getting harder to ignore… He took a deep breath and tried to focus.

Okay, think.

This might be his best, possibly only opportunity to end the struggle quickly and neatly, and he struggled desperately to think, to force his thoughts into some kind of order. But in the dim half-light that eleven PM brought, even fully grasping what was going on around him was difficult- planning his next move was nearly impossible. A grey fuzz itched at the corner of his eyes and he rubbed them furiously,

It was taking a lot of effort, but he kept up the strain all of his shortened senses trying to grasp the situation, attempting to separate the vague objects of all sizes and shapes that cluttered the area from the shadows that hid them; the darkness and strange, varied sounds had all blended together in a hopeless mess of confusion, but he was far from giving up hope. He had worked hard to get an idea of where he was and what the situation held, and thankfully, what little information he had been able to glean gave him a strong-enough idea of what was going to happen next, and how he’d react. Physically, it was definitely possible, so he just scowled and ignored the fact that, physically, he was the only problem with this plan.

His rubbery blue skin already glistened with sweat from the few moments he'd already fought, and his short legs ached from crouching behind the temporary shelter he'd taken cover behind, which was little more than a wooden shape slightly larger than himself and didn’t offer much protection. He groaned and tried to shift his weight from one foot to the other; he had been taking extreme care the whole time not to expose his position, but staying there might end up hurting almost as badly as an actual attack. He grimaced; this short battle was already taking a toll on his body- how much more of this could he take? What was he expected to give for this ridiculous battle? His life? He hadn’t been asked to fight in this mess, so why should it happen that he had to suffer? A loud crash a few feet away reminded him that it was not, in fact, a matter of being asked. But still, indignation was his right.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
You've been added, Ampris. ^^ When you get picked up by a mentor then you can talk to them about betaing any other fics you might want help with. If they don't have time or don't feel qualified to beta the story (because of its genre/fandom/etc) or you want a different mentor for similar reasons, then sure, you can post an application for it. :p

And thanks for editing your post, Bent Helix. ^^ Best of luck.

Normalize

Story title: Newmoon
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: Myra, a girl is trying to escape a life that tries to kill her with every other turn.
Genre:Fiction
Rating: Pg 13
Mentor needed:Comprehensive Mentors
Prior writing experience: Hope and the failed Moonlight

I had a beta reader but she didn't want to do it anymore and i can't do it alone, she made it as if she read my mind so i really need help, i also have a.. issue that if anyone want me i'd need to explain.

I have the example i want, its the first part of a chapter. Hope it suits the part.
Chapter Six​
Egg​

/*/*/*/​

Myra

I was barely able to breathe; the pressure was so intense against my near lifeless body. I lay on the cold floor, surrounded by darkness that ate at my skin. I was scared, cold, and dying, but for some reason, whatever was keeping me alive was toying with me, like I was just a game.

It would put just enough strain on my body with the darkness to almost kill, but it didn‘t go over the line. It knew the rules of death a what would and wouldn’t kill. It wouldn’t make you die but make you want to die. Whatever it was, it wanted me to suffer.

I tried to move, to get my body active so could at least warm up my but my muscle were too week to even support my own weight. The felt like brittle ice at every movement I attempted and if I would moved to much they feel like they would snap a bring on a flood of even more pain that my body couldn’t take.

I so slowly moved my head, not even by an inch, so I could look down. From what I saw I don’t know what hurt more. The pain in my neck or what I saw.

I could barely make out my body, or what was left of it. My tattered clothes have grown pale and dim. They hardly even covered my body. I looked between the holes of my clothes and saw my bones looking like they were trying to rip threw my skin and kill in a moment. But of course they wouldn’t do that and end the torture, it would be too easy to just die, it had to slow and painful.

“Why?… Why?… WHY?! Why me?!… What did I do!” I screamed in a raspy, dry voice. “What did I ever do to you? Why won’t you answer me d****! Why?! Why…”

Suddenly I felt something trickling down my frail cheek, it was moist and best of all warm. They were tears, I was crying. No I couldn’t cry, I couldn’t, I wouldn’t let it see me cry, I had to make it stop.

“Please just kill me or stop it, please!” I begged, “What do you want?!”

I felt a new presence in the void, it felt like the feeling I had at my grandmothers burial, like death. A dark silhouette slowly came to form, then the black veil, and then the blue eye. They looked right into me, into my soul. I shuddered as it drew closer, I could feel the evil pouring form its body.

“Stay away! Stay away! Stay away!” I started to hyperventilate it but it just ignored me and drew closer. I closed my eyes, I knew better than to look into his eyes.

I felt the adrenaline rush threw me and fill my soul. It gave me strength. With that I curled up in a fettle position.

A sudden chill filled my ear as something pressed against it. It was Darkrai, he placed his mouth to my ear and started to speak in a low, almost ghostly voice that felt like knifes in my ear.
You will travel to the dark to clean your soul
But you will fail and pay the toll
You wont be able to save what matter most in the end
During your travels you will be betrayed by a friend
You’ll have come to face the wrath of the forgotten oneDarkrai began to laugh a deep laugh that shook the darkness. He pulled away from me the same time I began to scream.

Last edited by a moderator:

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Alright, Normalize, you've been added. And I didn't see it before, because I was in a hurry, but I've noticed now that you haven't really put a genre... by genre I mean action/drama/romance/trainerfic/pokemorphs etc. It's just there to give the mentors a heads up, so it'd be good if you could edit that too. >.< Sorry!

Also, to the Beta House in general, I'm going to be away for about a week with no computer access, so if anyone wants anything during that time you should be prepared for a bit of a wait. :p

CWisgood

Coral Eye Trainer
Story title: Hoenn: No Man's Land
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: The story deals with the region of Hoenn after an earthquake devastates the region, killing most of the trainers, gym leaders and elite four, and effectively destroying the region. The story is told in different P.O.V.s - from major characters to characters' whose only purpose to the plot is to die, but not in a way that you'd notice.
Genre: Action/ Drama
Rating: Probably PG-13 bordering on R, mainly due to gore, slight dirty language and sensitive topics, but no sexual content.
Mentor needed: Language and Fluency Mentors or a Comprehensive Mentor. I can't really make up my mind, and asking all three seems a bit too greedy.
Prior writing experience: Well, I've written quite a few fanfics, but the only one I've posted and can feel proud of is a zombie fanfic, which, I'm guessing, most of you are not interested in.
Writing sample: Click here!

Note: I've been told repeatedly I have a problem with overdescription, but I like my style, and I will probably not change much of it, even if my mentor insists. It's just the way I am, I guess. Any other criticisms though, I can deal with. =3

Last edited:

Normalize

Hey it me again, yeah see my former Beta-reader is now able to be my beta-reader again so i won't need your services anylonger but thanks any ways. Don't forget me, i still might need help, if mine is too busy again.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
You've been added, CWisgood. ^^ For future reference, you can't have more than two mentors at a time, and only one if you have a comprehensive mentor. You can ask for either/or a mentor like you have, though, so that's okay.

Normalize, I'm going to leave your application up there but I'll mark you as not requesting a mentor, so if you do come back it'll all still be ready.

storywrit3r

Coordinator <3
No title ~yet~

Pokémon

A clan of Zangoose and a clan of Seviper are in a massive fight, and a Zangoose falls in love with a Seviper, even though their love is forbidden. Seviper doesn't like him until he saves her life and she realizes that he really likes her.

Romance

PG-14

I need a mentor who can help me with grammer and also help me keep the story moving.

I've written a few short stories for assignments at school, but other than that-- none.

No preferred mentor

I have an idea for what im going to write, but i would have to do that for a couple hours or so and i dont have that kinda time right now...

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
storywrit3r, you've been added to the list. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'keep the story moving', whether you want help in terms of pacing (so the story doesn't go too fast/slow) or maintaining a relevant plot, so as your second choice of mentor I've put both fluency and plot mentors as an either/or. If you could clarify which one you want that would be great.

Okay, Normalize, you're now free for mentoring. ^^ Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.