• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Beta House: Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zora

perpetually tired
Okay, I would like to have a mentor to help with my fic if you think it needs help. Description is the area I really need help with. Here is what I wrote so far in my fic (Ibi Fuit Bellum). Oh and yes, I realize there are a few things that made obvious. Such as its a fantasy fic (obviously, I will say its genre is fantasy for general information), and the fact someone spoke "Latin" to other people (something that is talked about later, but not in what I wrote. It will be explained throughout the story). General errors such as word choice, clarity, and fluency may also be necessary. Anyways, here is what I wrote:

Chapter 1-The Purple Enigma Kirllia

An envelope lay open on the nearby table. It was a big empty envelope. Papers were scattered across the table. They were various forms and essays. Most were completed and stacked quickly upon each other with no organization. Each form had barely legible handwriting, while older unrelated papers around the room were written legibly. For the last form was completed, slapped onto the pile. For I was finally done with this application!

Several weeks past and I got a call. They said they wanted to talk to me. They will hire me for their special job, but they had to do a mock interview. I was anxious as I entered the room. I saw a girl there with glasses and was fatter than an elephant.

“Do you know what we had to do with you?”

I leaned back and grinned. Oh, this is going to be good. The interviewer picked up her sandwich. She put her hands together causing the mayonnaise to drip. She put the sandwich in her mouth, ripped off a piece, and put down again only to repeat the same process five minutes later. “We had to spend,” she took out her tongue and liked mayonnaise off her face, “thirty minutes,” then took another bite of her sandwich, “organizing your papers.” She gobbled down the last of her sandwich before she could say more.

I continued grinning. They weren’t going to decline me no matter what. I was of too much use for them. I really don’t really give a damn about this crime war we have now. I just want her back, Kirllia. Okay, so I don’t just want Kirllia back, I want more. But she doesn’t deserve to be in her, she was manipulated too much. Kirllia-that purple enigma. And it isn’t just Kirllia. I don’t want to commit to the war, I would prefer to stop it civilly, although fat chance of that. I asked, “Am I gettin’ the job?”

“Ya, you will because my employer Martum said you will get the job no matter what. Pathetic, if I were in charge I would have not considered you at all. What is your name again? Something strange like Ajohn? No. Anathan. No, err… paranoia? Oh no, that’s my cats name.”

“You know, them thirty minutes could have been your disorganization.”

She rolled her eyes. She signed a paper and slid towards me with a fierce anger. She shouted, “Go, I will have another lunch to eat. Second floor on the right, and then take the elevator up to the top floor. There you will meet a girl by the name of Martum Martin. Strange name, no, well first name? Actually, she thought Martin was a rare and symbolic name. She didn’t know its common in this world. The last name she thought was common.”

Ah yes. The good old Martins. Yes, Martin is common last name in this world of Avar, but where they came from it was more than just a mere name. I wonder if she even know why she is hiring. This interview was pathetic, its all for show. If she knew what she was hiring for, she would have recognized my name instantly, and would have known the meaning of the name Martin. Oh well. I got the job. I already got the job when I filled out the forms. They just need something to show court in the event they got suspicious.

I followed the directions and entered the elevator. I saw the buildings of New York City in the distance of the glass elevator. People working, living their lives. Heh, I wonder when they could figure out when their city will fall. After all, a city has fallen victim to people after the war. A town I loved and cherished, loathed and feared at the same time. I moved to another town after that city fell. There I constantly said, “Amitto patriam. Patria amittetur a Alexendria espra.” I looked below at the south end of the elevator while reminiscing on my past.

I could see myself being reflected. I saw my black almost skin-tight sleeveless shirt, wavy brown hair, and blue jeans. I could feel myself fiddling with the wool inside my pockets. I could here the silence the elevator I hide whenever I grinned.

The elevator opened. There I saw a girl with long blonde hair walk on. Ah yes, the purple enigma, and right on time. Except currently without the purple! She was disguised as young girl with long curly blond hair going down to her knees, with brown eyes. She wore nothing but black shirt and skirt. She shouted, “Head up mister! Get your back straight or perhaps I need to run a series called the Melancholy of Anoah Bervenia and then later make another rip-off called Unlucky Pentacle that makes fun of the previous anime.”

“Oh, and then you will have to make a game called Kirllia Fabula-Damned Defendant. So, let us stop treasure-hunting for the day, okay?”

“You just treasure hunted you idort.”

“I don’t own any video game consoles you idiot.”

“And you have it mister. That it. You. Me. Tonight. South part of town in front of the police station. Magic vs. axe fight! Any objections?”

“Nothing aside from the obvious. Good old purple enigma. Without the purple this time. Using a shape-shifting Oricountus?”

I grinned, and the enigma turned away, groaning like a teenage drama queen. Ah, good old Kirllia. As lost and confused as ever. For all we know, she could be traitor, or a valuable ally. One we could trust, or one who can’t be trusted. One who would trade her sister for a bag of ice cream, or someone who would kill another to give an inimical person a drippy cup of ice cream. She was a strange one.

The first time I met here was back in Marus. I was sleeping in the castle. During which an assassination, or capturing, was taking place. I was the one to be assassinated, or captured. It was never clear whether it was an assassination or a capturing, regardless, that event is past me now.

Now, I am here to help her. After events in Marus I went to the land of Rebena. There I isolated myself from Nebula, the organization that once tried to assassinate (or capture) me. After I came back to Avar, I was recruited by this organization. They had a phony interview in order to accept me without the public being overly suspicious.

Now I will move in secret. I plan on solving this case once and for all. I will begin with this girl, going from next. Nebula, Fabul, Zebula-three organizations. Three different people. Now we will join the fight. Por Nova Loca… Our name. We will fight and end this fight. Fire with fire. This war will end. For there is no longer war. There was war. Or, back in Rebena, we would say, “Ibi Fuit Bellum.”

The war was a complicated thing. Summing it up in a nutshell is impossible. I spend nearly a decade researching it, and even with the best tools, I still have no clue what happened. Still, we do know a little. There were three places-Marus, Cera, and Rebena. Rebena was an arcane tribe, Marus was the religious and political Capitol of the word, and Cera was an eastern region breaking off from Marus. The Rebena-Cera-Southern Island trade route was cut off during the political debates on whether the country should be split. Both Rebena and the Southern Islands rebelled. Among the Southern Islands was Fabul.

Rebena was later conquered by Fabul. There were rumors of their modus operandi, but nothing made absolutely clear. The odds were against them. Fabul was in a depression; they had no weapons, no ships. Heck, they spent a year just to send an emissary. Yet, Fabulian Empress Enkidu and General Gilgamesh somehow did it. Rebena from the East, Cera from the West. The other Southern sea attacking from, well, the South. Finally, Marus Emperor Martes angered the Northern Marian Holy Land. They rebelled. The Holy Land, Fabul, Cera, the Southern Islands. Martes, Martal, Wolven, and Kirllia-Marus’s generals. Somehow, the land survived.

The entire war is still a mystery to me. Martum was lucky that the purple enigma would join. She was there, back in the war. She would know. If we could only break the enigma and get down into her, we could figure this out. I plan on doing research, and hopefully everything will come to me.

The biggest mystery of all is Oritechnology. Rebena had a delicate fabrication of arcane magic. This magic was stored into crystals, known as Oricounti. An Oricountus could have a lot of potential. They alter the appearance of an individual; they could create a weapon out of nothing. There were some strange things these Oricounti did. They brought someone back to life, they recorded an entire memory of someone, they accomplished time travel, and they even managed to split a single world into five. They are an enigma too.

The purple enigma Kirllia, the Oricounti, and other enigmas like the mysterious assassin and the war’s purpose. The war was one big mystery. The war 30,000 years ago. The global war. A war which was now lost in history, and only few witnesses remain.

I still need to find more about this war, and I feel Kirllia is the key. I hope to come back to each subject with an absolute understanding. At the same time I am here to fulfill my purpose-to stop the last of the war. There still exist people who want to fight this war. The war officially ended when the world was split into five. The process was a risky one-time ordeal. It consisted of life starting anew, long before the war, splitting the world into five, and traveling nearly 30,000 years. Each country, Rebena, the Holy Land, Marus, Cera, and the Southern Islands now a separate world. Isolated, no longer could fight. Peace was here. Yet the people, few in numbers, less than twenty, now continue to fight. I am here to stop them, and I am requested not to use violence. No fun, but hey, orders are orders. Actually, I never planned to use violence. And I think Martum will be a better boss than my old one. That pathetic Ceran general, I could care less for him. And them Cerans.

The door opened. Inside was a room of darkness. The only light was the sun that went threw the glass elevator. Someone shouted, “Names!”

“Kirllia ‘Purple Enigma’ Fabula.”

“Anoah ‘Some Guy Who is Involved in This’ Bervenia.”

A girl shouted. “Let them through. And Anoah Bervenia. Learn some respect. The job interview didn’t exactly give me a good impression. I am watching you. Now listen up. Lights! Guard! Lights!”

The lights flashed on. There existed a horde of guards. All of them uniform. A rifle crossing their chest in one hand. Black military goggles around their eyes. Helmets on their back. And most peculiar of all was their outfits. They were made of fur. A cape in the back. The outfit would not strike as practical, yet there was a reason for their strange outfit.

The troops were aligned in the enclosed room. There were maybe fifty of them. Not a whole lot, but sizable given the others. Over the army loomed a girl. She was no mere girl, she was a leader, a strong person. She was short, had a black dress on. Her black dress appeared to be part of her gray skin, but separate at the same time. As if there was another layer of skin that served as her dress. Her hair didn’t go beyond her shoulders.

I bowed down at the sight of her piercing eyes. I muttered, “Anoah Bervenia, a-a-a-at your service L-L-L-Lady Martum.”

Martum shouted, “Stand up Anoah. Do not submit yourself to me. You are under my command now. We need more information. I want you to go through those memories in the Oricounti around your neck again. You will go to a dinner a building in Time Square. You will attend a dinner and a show. While there you will contact Ceran General Noah. Protect the Purple Enigma with your life. You will just to see if Ceran General Noah can accede to our operations. Martes will be our target. He should accede to our request. Also, Purple Enigma, remove your shape-shifting Oricountus. Don’t drain its energy.”

Kirllia reached behind her. She found the click for a necklace around her, and took off the necklace. At the base of the necklace was a small green crystal-an Oricountus. As the necklace left her, her body transformed. She became the lean, rigid, purple zombie-esque create we know and somewhat loved. Two horns sprouted from her baldhead. For now, the Purple Enigma we all knew and love was in her true form once again. And will be until we left for the party.

Martum shouted, “Anoah Bervenia! Learn some fashion. Your outfit looks so… umm what’s the word? Groovy, ya that’s it. Seriously that chain in the belt, the skin-tight tank top, the jeans. Seriously. Learn some fashion.” Oh, and I thought groovy was a good thing…

I grinned. I commented, “Oh, and I thought you didn’t want me…” I looked up and her eyes glared at me. I commented, “Yes ma’am, duly noted. We will make sure Ceran General Noah accedes to our request to yield to our operations.”

“Anoah. I will put twenty of our troops on standby. Also, you were surprised to find me as your commander? Did you even read the letter I sent you?”

“Not really. Saw Kirllia there and…” again, my eyes came into contact of hers. “I can see how you kept Old Marus in good shape for many years. Sorry ma’am, I will read more carefully next time. Anything else I can do for you ma’am?”

Martum reached behind her and threw a uniform in the air. The uniform landed. It is dry, filthy, and ugly. She shouted, “Wash this. I found it in Tipa. You got rid of it, didn’t you? Wear it. I know you don’t want to wear this, but you must. I know it reminds of him. But face it, you were a medium, a peon, a tool in that operation Anoah. Yes, you hate that assassin. Yes you were created to bring back that assassin to life. And yes, this uniform here is similar the uniform that assassin wears. And yes you look alike,” she whispered a little, “but your new clothing does make you look indistinguishable,” and she promptly went back to shouting, “But you will wear it. Also, I have a formal suit on standby for you to wear. Take the cape off this uniform; don’t wear the cape. Put the before mentioned suit on you over this uniform. Who knows what will happen.”

I follower her orders as much I hated them. This uniform scares me. It was found off the corpse of a fallen Fabulian soldier. The suit was in good shape, and was in perfect conditions if you could look over the bloodstains. It was green, skintight. There were no sleeves, but covered the body ever so well. It was an assassin-class uniform. I hated it. I did not want to be reminded of that assassin. I don’t want to be reminded we are the same person. I don’t want to be reminded I am a clone. A clone whose purpose was to bring the original assassin back to life, a medium between the world of the living and the world of the dead. The assassin who served Cera for so many years. He adopted the name ‘Anoah’ then, saying he wasn’t Ceran General Noah. He destroyed my town, for no clear reason. He was brought back to life and then left. Just left.

Now I am back here for one reason. I am serving this small organization in order to protect Kirllia. She is an enigma. Deep down is the secret to this mystery. I only have a vague understanding of what is going on. Yet these people need to understand something. The war is over. The war they fought 30,000 years ago. They managed to escape a calamity that restarted the war, but had to be frozen in time in order to do so. Now they returned, about ten years ago. They need to understand each other. They need closure. This war no longer has a purpose. They are fighting for naught. I want to stop this fighting. No, I am not doing this for honor or virtue. I am doing this for a different reason.

I may have a pistol in one hand, and an arcane power in the other, but I am not here to fight them. Even if they are our enemies today, I cherish each one. The events in Marus seven years ago were strange. However, during that time I was changing sides. I had no idea what I was doing. However, I began to feel them. I began to know them. I began to love them. For I cannot see one of them die. I want to end this fight. I want to end it because I love them.

Edit: Forgot the form, sorry about that :p

Story title: Ibi Fuit Bellum

Fandom (preferably pokémon): Final Fantasy? (Due to the fact the FF elements are small, may remove it, thus leaving no fandom)

Plot summary: A war long ago has come to an end (about 30,000 years ago). The world was eventually thrown into a political battle in which both sides could win, due to advancements is Oritechnology (made up word, Oricounti are magical crystals with power that often deal with energy and dimensions) both sides could summon allies over and over, and essentially create a nearly endless war. After awhile, a general of Cera (a province involved in the conflict) decided to use the knowledge of Oricounti and decided to essentially restart the world. However, many of the key leaders managed to use the the Oricounti to travel accross time, all to 30,000 years from the start of the new planet. Now, the new land is compromised of five worlds-Fabul, Cera, Marus, Rebena, and Avar. Avar, the world you know, this world, is where all three major organization settle-Nebula, Zebula, and Fabul. Now these three people are still fighting. Prior to this event though, Nebula infiltrated Marus in an attempt to revive an assassin that made a huge difference during the previous war (the revival succeeded). During this time though, they got a boy named Anoah caught up in their war of theirs. Anoah had no intention of fighting in the war. Before he left however Kirllia, a victim, and soldier, during the war give him a Oricounti that gave him a vision of her past, and still expanding on what happened during that war. And then he begins to feel pity for the others who can't seem to stop fighting

During this time he begins to realize why everyone is fighting, and feels that he cannot just a blind eye. He returns to Avar (where they are now settled) and enrolls in a new organization who intends to stop the fighting (the organization above). There he intends on figuring out why everyone is fighting, and use that to stop him. He wants to go for the hardest one first, and the one who he feels is the least motivated in this war, Kirllia. Kirllia's motive was never made clear, nor anything she says. That is why she earned the title the "Purple Enigma," since she is a mystery (in her normal state she is zombie-ish looking and her skin is purple). That is the plot summary in a nutshell. Granted, I will pace the story so I am not rushing many things at one time.

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: PG-13

Mentor needed: ONe that can help with description, clarity, and fluency

Prior writing experience: Nothing really

Preferred mentor (optional): N/A

Writing sample (optional, but expected): See above

Last edited:

Manchee

extra toasty
Alright I'm back! I have a new story and it's all planned out, but I got the advice to get a Beta, so here I am!

Story title: Kickin' It Johto!!
Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokémon
Plot summary: Tyler and Mizuki are two new Pokémon Trainers who have set out to travel the region of Johto. Tyler goes and battles Gym Leaders of various towns while Mizuki travels alongside him, participating in few contests. Although, problems arise when an evil organization known as Team Rocket(under their new leader Eusine.) tries to capture the 6 elemental legendaries known as Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, Entei, Rakiou, and Sucuine. Will Tyler and Mizuki, along with other companions from along the way, be able to stop them? Read and find out...
Genre: Adventure/World Domination/Romantic/Good :p
Rating: [PG-14] for some graphic violence and romantic theme.
Mentor needed: I am in MAJOR need of a mentor!!
Prior writing experience: None
Preferred mentor (optional): Any that can help me :]
Writing sample (optional, but expected):
PROLOGUE

In the Beginning…

Arceus, God and creator of all Pokémon, created Mew his beloved and only “Son.” To have an interesting and livable world for his son, He created a massive piece of rock. Upon that, He added Pokémon with extraordinary powers. Two of them were Kyogre and Groudon, who expanded the sea and the land. With new land, Arceus’s son could now have a world to wander. Mew soon became bored, and his father could not bear to see him this way. He gave his “Son” a playmate. Jirachi. He bestowed her with the ability to grant any amount of wishes his “Son” thought of. Mew and Jirachi played for hours with each other, and even Kyogre. Mew saw how lonely Kyogre was and wished that She had a son to play with in the sea. Jirachi obeyed its command, and thus, Manaphy was born. From that moment on, Kyogre did everything to protect its child.

Groudon eventually became jealous of Kyogre, and attacked it. The attack caused a cataclysmic battle between the two. These two fought, destroying everything that had once been the Earth. Arceus, seeing the destruction, created the Air, or Rayquaza, to keep the power of the two in order.

With the realization of no one ever aging, Arceus created time and space, and also the Pokémon forms of time and space. Dialga and Palkia. The two worked together to make the Earth rotate, and they formed all other planets and objects in space.

To make sure these beasts would not end up in a war, Arceus used his powers yet again to create the Legendary Trio known as Uxie, Azelf, and Mesprit. He then made Regigigas to mold the continents that Groudon created. Regigigas wanted to please Mew, so he made Regirock, Regice, and Registeel so there would be elements on the planet. Mew created humans, including the Pokémon now around today. Arceus then rested, and allowed Mew to create at his will. Mew created all other living Pokémon, putting select Pokémon in power of certain things, and as guardians of certain continents.

But all of that only happened millions of years ago.

700 years ago…

The people of what is now Ecruteak City built two nine-tier towers to help strengthen the friendship and hope between Pokémon and humans. These towers were built opposite each other in Ecruteak City; one on the East, and one on the West. The view from the top of the towers was said to be 'magnificent'.

In the west was Brass Tower, which was said to awaken Pokémon and in the east was Tin Tower, where Pokémon were said to rest, almost like the Hoenn region's Cave of Origin and Mt. Pyre, respectively. At the time, a glorious rainbow-colored Pokémon Ho-Oh, was said to make its roost atop the Brass Tower, while its counterpart, the immense silver-colored Pokémon, Lugia was said to rest at Tin Tower.

Ho-Oh, a majestic phoenix-like bird with red being its dominant color. Ho-Oh also has yellow tail-feathers, a white underside, and green feathers at the tip of its wings. It has a green stripe on its neck, a yellow beak, black rings around its eye and a peacock's feather-crest. The prismatic wings of this magnificent wonder cause an eternal rainbow to trail behind Ho-Oh. With the control over fire and all elements but water, and the ability to ressurect the dead, many people began to hunt Ho-Oh.

A war broke out, and was settled the night of the Black Rain. The downpour was little, but it cause a massive lightning bolt to strike the Brass Tower. It burned the Tower for a whole 3 days. People watched helplessly and Pokémon tried to escape. Many survived, though, all except for three. After three days, the drizzle became a downpour, settling the fire that engulfed the Tower. Ho-Oh was enraged at its tower being destroyed. It fled, but not before bearing its reincarnation powers on the three forsaken Pokémon. They rose again, each being bestowed with and elemental power from the tower.

Entei, a lion-like fire dog, represented the fire that engulfed the tower. Suicune held the water that ended the fire. And Raikou had the thunder that struck the tower. The people watched the memorable event, fearing Ho-Oh’s true powers. The 3 new Legendary Beast had powers uncontroallable, causing them to eternally race around the globe.

Keeping peace between other Pokémon, they now make sure to only use their powers for good, and to defeat all evil forces darkening Arceus’s planet. They are peaceful Pokémon, that is, until disturbed by the haunting darkness known as Team Rocket.

Last edited:

oRaNgE~1337

Story title: "Untitled"
Fandom: Original Fiction
Plot summary: I have no idea. I'll figure it out eventually.
Mentor needed: Character (I'm told they seem flat.) or Comprehensive
Prior writing experience: Nothing besides school, really. This is the first story that I've managed to get at least two chapters out of.
Writing sample (optional, but expected): I'll update this later.

Last edited:

SnoringFrog

I'm mentoring Falsetta-Arias and Shiny Venusaur now; I think I'm supposed to mention that here now, correct?

Story title: Eclipsing the Moon

Fandom: (preferably pokémon): Pokemon

Plot summary: A group of teenage protagonists are caught between an epic war between the legendary Pokemon. Early in the story, they are separated. Each of them needs to befriend legendary pokemon, and use their own ordinary pokemon to stop the war. The teenagers also discover their real selves when the world is on their hands. Time travel, different Points-of-View and intense battle scenes are included.

Genre: Drama, Action / Adventure

Rating: PG - 13 (Mild Violence, Mild Language, Romance)

Mentor needed: Comprehensive or Proofreader

Prior writing experience: 2 shipping fics, 2 non-shipping fics. All pokemon, but not written on SPPF.

Preferred mentor (optional):
Anyone who is willing to help when I need it, Act seems like a good mentor.

[spoil]There, on a heap of filth and garbage, sat a girl. She looked as if somehow, she was in a trance of sorts. Her eyes were open - she was conscious and aware; but not a part of her stirred.

A group of Rattata stood in front of her. It was not unusual for one to find Rattata in groups, and even less unusual for them to lurk in a place where garbage was plentiful. A rare sight though, was for a pack of rat Pokemon to have the guts to position this close to a human.

Rattata were always timid creatures. Literally almost everything is bigger than one, and the slightest movement from anything at all was for them, a warning to get out.

The girl saw the Rattata in front of her, their numbers growing every moment. She wasn’t surprised; she hadn’t moved a muscle for about ten minutes. She could feel the blood in her legs restlessly urging her to move.

She took a small breath, than got up. At that second, the group of rats scampered away swiftly in several directions.

The female walked out from under the trash heap, which was covered from above by a kind of cement wall, which was vandalized with numerous graffiti insults and whatnot.

She was now visible, as the light of the moon shone upon her tender face. The moon was not like the moon before. It was fading, and was not nearly as bright as when it first shone upon the world.
[/spoil]

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Hello, people. I'm sorry for the... really... long delay, but there was an issue with one of the members applying for a mentor, and I wanted the issue cleared up before I updated again... it just took a while. >.<

Falsetta-Arias and Lord of Music, I've added you both to the list. ^^ Good luck!

SnoringFrog, thanks for the update! All changed now.

oRaNgE~1337, I've added you to the list, although it would be nice if you could edit in a summary sometime in the future. ^^ Thanks!

Buraddo_Aipom, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for your patience, and my apologies once again for the long delay.

TrueCharizard

I'm looking for a beta reader for my next story.

It's a pokémon story that will probably be a PG or a PG13. It follows the path of a nine year old who is (at first) reluctant to go on a pokémon journey with a duskull. The duskull just happens to be the spirit of a dead trainer, who if he evolves into a Dusknoir will be granted another chance at being human.

If anyone wants an example of my writing ability, there's a link to my current fic in my sig.

Asuran

Story title: Red Moon
Fandom: Original
Plot summary: Jonathon Greene is drafted by the United States for a war against China in the 22nd century. He spends years learning military tactics and skills. No sooner has he trained than the war reaches its climax. Will he end up a hero, or dead?
Genre: Sci-Fi
Mentor needed: Comprehensive
Prior writing experience: I have always enjoyed writing, at first I wrote a few little fantasy stories, then one Pokemon one, a Metroid fic, and finally I am exploring the sci-fi genre.
Preferred mentor: N/A
Writing sample:
Jonathon Greene was claustrophobic, not a good thing for somebody traveling in a cramped shuttle. To be honest, it was surprising to think that he had traveled in this manner many times before. For someone who had lived in space so long, his body was amazingly fit. His lean muscular form still had a boyish charm, most likely found in the face which was still as round as a child’s. Long blond hair fell flat over his eyes and contrasted well with his tanned skin. Height passed down from his father’s side, making Jonathon six feet tall. His mother’s blue eyes were stolen as well. Normally his smiling face would have brought teenage girls storming, but today his brow was furrowed in worried anticipation.

He had gotten used to being the smartest person in his class for all four of his high school years and earlier, even after he transferred to the moon academy he was the top of his class. Now, he would be one of the youngest and possibly the least educated here. Never before had Jonathon had to deal with the fact that he might not be the smartest person around. He was also afraid that he wouldn’t be able to keep up with the elites that he would face there. Arrogance overtook him long ago and now he was afraid.

However, as the sleek ship slowly approached the great gray space station Jonathon forgot his worries. A central hub was counter-rotating between three rings of different sizes. Everything seemed to rotate at a different speed, probably to simulate different gravities. Long tunnels connected the rings to the hub and allowed them to spin as though on an axle. The top, or, Jonathon thought, what appears to be the top, suddenly widened to a large cylindrical disc. On the other end, the end the passenger shuttle was nearing, a set of doors began to open. The large circular doors could have easily fit ten more of the humongous ships that were carrying the newest recruits. As such, the doors only opened about one-fifth of the way so the pilot could fit and have a little elbow-room to spare. The overhead lights clicked on and a beep signaled a message from the pilot. “We have arrived at our destination; please do not move about until we have finished docking. Be prepared to regain gravity suddenly.”

To be quite truthful, I need just a bit of help with my exposition. I hate the way it turned out. (This is not the beginning, by the way.)

seveguy

Applying for desperately needed help.

Story title: Twilight Tower
Fandom (preferably pokémon): Poke'mon
Plot summary: Fifty years from now, the world of Poke'mon is taken under siege by an evil emperor. Only a group of five fresh-faced trainers can team up and return the world back to its normal form.
Genre: Horror/Adventure
Rating: PG 13 but may change to R.
Mentor needed: Language and Plot
Prior experience: Have been told that I am the best writer in my class by my fellow classmates AND teachers. Plus, a Harvest Moon fanfic, written maybe two or three years ago. Wrote a screenplay to a fan-made Halloween sequel.

Its-Sandshrew!

Expert Breeder
Story title: Pokemon Tales
Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokemon
Plot summary: A story following the adventures of Jason - A 10 year old newly starting off Pokemon trainer. The adventures will occur through-out every region in the Pokeverse eventually. But at the moment Jason is in the R/B/Y area.
Genre:
Rating: Mild violence and cusses, occasional scenes of a romantic nature.
Mentor needed: I would really like a Mentor just to check my grammar. And possibly to chat with about plot development at times, Although I am already pretty sussed as to where the story is heading. :)
Prior writing experience: Well I got a English GCSE at a B grade, and have pretty much been writing all my life. Just recently broke into fan-fics though.
Preferred mentor (optional): I don't know anyone. So I don't mind. :)
Writing sample (optional, but expected): Please see "Pokemon Tales [prologue]" in the fan-fic sub-forum.

Please contact me by Profile comments or at the following address. Dashboard_novella@hotmail.com

Night_Umbreon

Oh god! The imagery!
Applying as a mentoree.

Story title: Trainers of Kanto
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: Alan, a new trainer, recieves his first pokémon and sets off on his travels. However his journey is interrupted -along with many other peoples everyday lives- repeatedly by team rocket, who seem to be planning yet another scheme. Nobody has attempted to stop them, not even the mysterious new president of Kanto....
Genre: Adventure
Rating: PG13
Mentor needed: Comprehensive
Prior writing experience: None, basically.(I don't think school counts)
Preferred mentor: Not bothered, just anyone who can help.
Writing sample: Here's the beginning of the proplogue(already posted)
“Hyper Beam!”

A hovering Dragonite charges up energy in its open mouth, firing a vicious yellow blast at the Arbok’s chest from across the arena. Arbok collapses to the ground, unable to battle further. The cobra is returned to its Poke Ball rather begrudgingly by an old woman in a dull-blue dress. Holding a walking stick, she scowls at her similar-aged opponent.

She turns and angrily pushes her way through the watching crowd surrounding the battlefield. The spectators applaud for the smartly dressed trainer, paying her no heed, as he stands in the centre shaking people's hands. A younger man, wearing a very similar combination of a dinner jacket and glasses, approaches as well, watching as the battler returns his Dragonite to its Poke Ball.

Last edited:

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Here I am, applying as you can see as a mentoree, I need one... Kinda new to the whole writting thing...

Story title: Odyssey of Champions
Fandom: pokémon
Plot summary: One teen has his dad convince professor Birch to come to slateport, his hometown, to get him started on a pokemon journey. Both him and the professor are ambushed but Lugia appears as soon as a bullet is fired. The story then follows the journey of the teen after his second encounter with Lugia, the mysterious scar him and two new friends both have, and the connection with Team Magma, Aqua and Rocket they all share.

Genre: Original Trainer, kinda choosen one (not quite), Journey
Rating: PG 13, it is sometimes upped (example: upcoming chapter where a there is an attempted rape)
Mentor needed: comprehensive.
Prior writing experience: No serious stuff.
Preferred mentor (optional): Any good one will do :3
Writing sample (optional, but expected): The link to my story is in the signature, but if you want a few paragraphs written quoted here, ok:

First off, what I am best at, pokémon battles:

As soon as the permission to start was issued, the pikachu had vanished from the field leaving only the sound of its movements.

“That’s one fast pika,” comented the challenger.
“But we are fast too, showtime Kuroi smell him and run after him.”

Using its smelling prowess the small dog tracked down the almost invisible opponent and vanished alongside him.

“Never expected to do this in a battle against a first timer, you’re good kid!” the rest of the speech was interrupted with another laughter, this habit was starting to get on the trainers nerves.

“Pikachu, agility!”

Still invisible, the pikachu must have started the speed boosting attack since the sounds of its dashes had gotten even faster paced.

“Kuroi don’t get left behind, Me First!”

The battlefield remained unchanged, no effect occurred from the order given.

“Way to go genius, Me First does not work with supportive moves such as agility!”

Nie stuttered, Mark was right. Kuroi’s speed hadn’t changed at all while the opposing pikachu kept moving faster and faster.

“Quicksteel combo!” shouted Wattson.

His pokemon obeyed the order. The pikachu finally stopped still for one single second before dashing back at the black puppy. As soon as it collided the metallic silver coloured tail bashed the challenger again, sending him flying in the air. With another sudden dash pikachu headbutted the poochyena in midair and stroked him again with its glowing tail. This last strike propelled the pikachu even higher but had the opposite effect on Kuroi, making him crash down on the solid ground. The opponent was not done yet though, as soon as it was as high as it could get the pikachu charged itself with an unbelievable amount of electric energy and used it to make a meteor effect and collide with the adversary.

“KUROI!” yelled his trainer after the last hit.

Everything was silenced for a few seconds. The pikachu had gotten up quickly, slightly damaged from the recoil but still releasing sudden sparks of electricity every so often. Kuroi had yet to be spotted since the wreckage had been too big to spot such a small pokemon so easily.

“Quick attack, Iron Tail, Quick Attack, Iron Tail and Volt Tackle used in succession. These guys mean serious business,” whispered Mark with an obvious concerned tone on his voice.

The refered Kuroi is a poochyena, in case I didn't mention it...

Worst? Probably dialog...
There ain't much of it, at least nothing more than so-so good...

I would quote that part, but I can't find a good part of dialog to put in here, and since I am not in the mood to go through ten chapters, yeah thats about it.

In need of mentoring :3

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Okay, sorry for the delay... I was waiting on a PM but it hasn't come, so I'll just address you guys now.

Asuran, seveguy, Night_Umbreon and niedude, you all been added to the list, so good luck!

Its-Sandshrew!, you're on the list, but I put down the rating as PG-13, since you didn't actually specify a rating yourself. Is that okay?

Zadros, you didn't need to post here as you're not actually on the list, but thanks for the heads up anyway. ;)

Wondrous Sableye, thanks for the update!

TrueCharizard, I'm still waiting for a reply to my PM.

*phew* Okay, all done. Thanks guys!

EDIT: MondoTR, you've been added to the list now as well. ^^

Last edited:

Azurne

~ ♥ ~
Applying as a Mentor, if possible. =)

Category (two maximum unless comprehensive): Character, Fluency
Genre specialty (if any): Angst, horror, fantasy, Action/Adventure
Method of contact: PM
Proofreader (yes/no): Yes

Samples:
The forest floor was incredibly cold, grimy, and wet.

After two days of plundering through rain, the water had finally sunk through Keera's thin black jacket, making her journey to New Bark Town unbearably cold, and wet. Her teeth chattered together restlessly, and her mop of shoulder-length wet blond hair stuck to the back of her neck like straw. And Keera absolutely hated having wet hair. It always made her feel cold and crappy, and especially unsophisticated. Nothing put her in a worse mood, and she felt as though she could kill someone for a hairdryer.

Her black high-heeled boots squished every time she stepped, sinking ankle-deep in mud and making it hard to walk straight. It occasionally threw her off-balance; and already she had fallen twice on her butt, ruining her already dirty clothes. Keera prayed her mother would still have a spare set of clothes for her since she had left five years ago.

But despite the miserable living conditions, Keera was looking up. New Bark town had to be just ahead, and the sooner she got there, the sooner she could take a nice long hot bubble bath. She hadn't had one in four days, and she wasn't allowed to take one when she was held for questioning at the Viridian police station on the Indigo Plateau, much to her disgust. She had only hoped the nasty rank she was giving off was driving away any would-be predators.

Sighing exhaustedly, she glanced up at the forest top where the sun had finally broken through the ominous rain clouds. Bright streams of light filtered down through the gaps in the leaves, illuminating Keera's face as she walked by. The fresh air had also done wonders for her sinuses, and smelled of delicious berries and wildflowers.

Well, I guess this redemptive journey of mine hasn't been totally shitty, Keera thought, amused.

Still trudging through a mixture of mud and grass, she soon spotted a clearing up ahead, and quickened her pace hopefully. When she reached the mouth of the forest, the trees gave way to a wildflower-covered bank, and an expansive green-blue lake that stretched over a mile across the horizon. Over the distance, she spotted the still small form of a house, and the rooftops of many others on the other side. One word flooded through her mind as she sank to the ground, gratefully.

Home.

Sample 2:
“So, in other words, your Pokemon were stolen from right under your nose, the police can't do this all by their lonesome, even though they're the police, there aren't any other trainers here, so I'm the only one you can turn to?”

Professor Elm nodded calmly, simply brushing off Keera's lack of empathy for the situation, while Alek stood shamed-faced next to him, unable to look anyone in the eye. It aggravated him that he couldn't do this himself. If only he could take that Larvitar, he was sure he could take back those stolen Pokemon with no problem at all, and they wouldn't even need to be calling anyone for help.

He glanced up at Elm, who was calmly staring down Keera, patiently waiting for an answer. The man had seemed dedicated on using that girl though, and everytime Alek had tried hinting at taking the Larvitar himself, he'd gotten a stern look that said 'no,' from the Professor.

So Alek instead turned his attention to Keera, and dissected her profile thoroughly, mentally trying to qualify her for the job he felt he should have.

As he got his first real good look at her, he came to the startling realization she was a little intimidating. Earlier in her house he hadn't bothered to notice, because he hadn't been fully paying attention. But now, seeing her sharp grey eyes and thin blond eyebrows accentuating her small face, he suddenly realized why some of the townsfolk had made it a point to avoid her. Her entire presence was... ominous. Foreboding, almost.

“No.”

Her deep alto voice cut through his reverie, and Alek took a few shocked moments to catch up on the conversation.

"No?" Elm echoed, slightly surprised also. Keera half-turned, facing the Pokemon Lab with a frown, and stared into a fragmented window reflecting her broken image.

“No,” she quietly repeated, “don't you understand I've had enough of this?”

Professor Elm looked at her, indifferent.

“No, I don't to be honest,” he said, “what I do know is that you made your choice, and it has nothing to do with what I'm asking you now. What's done is done, Keera. I couldn't care less what happened over the past five years. What matters now is I'm asking you to help with this one little thing.”

She smirked and stiffened.

“'This one little thing',” she mocked, “Tch, where have I heard that before?”

Elm's face twisted with a fleeting moment of irritation, but he quickly reminded himself of who he was dealing with, and relaxed himself with a sigh.

Keera continued, un-fazed. “All I heard as a traveling ten year old, was 'Keera, could you do me a favor?' 'Keera, I just have thing one little thing, could you help me?'” Her fists clenched at her sides, “Keera this' 'Keera that', I was practically running that damned lab for you!”

“I'll admit, I did have you doing some things that I should have done myself, and I apologize,” he said, “but please, Keera, if you do this one small task for me, I promise I'll never bother you again.”

Alek turned to look at both of them, trying to follow the conversation. He had no idea what sort of tasks she'd been put on, but it seemed more than enough to warrant getting on her nerves. He saw Keera turn back to face them, eyebrows furrowed darkly.

“Just remind me,” she said in a low tone, “why I should be the one to get them. I seem to be the bad guy around here anyways, so what does it matter?”

“Those Pokemon matter!” Elm suddenly shouted. Alek physically recoiled, having never seem the Professor react that way. Keera remained calm, and snorted.

“Is that supposed to win my sympathy?! The well-being of-”

Surprisingly, she cut herself short. Her voice cracked, and she clamped a hand over her mouth, eyes wide and dialated as though she'd just uttered a sin that would condemn her forever.

The Professor and Keera both stood quiet. Alek, perplexed, tried to help carry the conversation's point.

“... So, are you going to help us?” he asked.

Keera released her hold over her mouth, and stared hard at the ground, debating. A few moments passed, and she answered so quietly Alek had to strain his ears to hear it.

“All right... I'll help.”

Elm smiled, albeit a bit crookedly, and he outstretched a hand to her. Resting in between his fingers was a shiny red and white Pokeball.

Keera stared at it a while, until she reached her arm out and grasped the ball tightly.

Alek stared quizzically at the scene, a concentrated look on his face. It was his first glimpse of who Keera Molyneux truly was, and the shadowy enigma she represented.

I'll gladly take anyone's help who needs it...

Eclipse

I AM GONE.
It's been recommended that I get a Beta-Reader, so:

Story title: Keepers of Innocence
Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokemon
Plot summary: A sixteen year old girl with a Unown for a parter travels across the region with her best friend seaching for Plates, in order to awaken Arceus so that her father, accused of being a murderer, can have his name cleared.
Genre: Tragedy/Journey
Rating: Pg 13
Mentor needed:Spelling and general plot flow.
Prior writing experience: I've been writing since I was 8, and have written several one shots.

Crunch.

Malvagat’s huge fangs crushed Uvona, her tiny body dangled limply from his jaws. Blood dripped down the mangled black form, mixing with the dust to make a disgusting crimson broth. The remaining Unown continued to pulse back and forwards, screaming in Malvagat’s head; he shook his brutish head to clear his mind.

The silver houndoom

The hell on earth
You've both been added to the list, although, Silver Houndoom, the rules state that samples are supposed to be at least four decent-sized paragraphs long, so if you could edit your post that would be good. ^^ G'luck!

Ow sorry i wasnt be there long i did what you said. I think

Kacho

You are next.
I thought Fandom and Genre are the same?
I was about to put Fandom and Genre the same as Pokemon OT fic... now I am confused and can't apply

also, I don't really know which excerpt to select from my current production... /help!

And another thing, I can't seem to summarize my story... of how it will turn out...
I am terrible. X_X

Status
Not open for further replies.