• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Beta House

Shurtugal

The aura is with me.
Sorry Valentine. I'll be deleting the other post after this one is up.

Story title: How do I answer this? I have multiple stories in my head that I'm working on in rough drafts that I'm not sure I'll actually publish up on Serebii or FFNet, but I mean I have a few. I don't need betas for things I've already posted, right? So I'm assuming I can't use those, but I will use it for a "sample" so people have an idea of my style?

Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokemon

Plot summary: Depends on story. Most are Dark and Edgy themes.

Genre: Action / Adventure / Suspense / Adventure / Tragedy / Drama / Romance

Rating: T. In my opinion, anything without anything explicit like sex is rated T. If Digital Skitty's Pedestal is rated T, it's safe to say that all of my stuff with be that, too.

Mentor needed: I don't want a mentor? I want someone I can beta for and with? Like a symbiosis friendship, almost, except we don't rely on each other, but gain mutual benefits from the relationship. I mean Betas are one thing Mentors are another: shouldn't mentoring have its own thread?

Prior writing experience: Several short stories (that aren't published, but people on Scribophile tell me I should go for it) and numerous of fanfictions. I critique a lot to, and since you have to write those up and analyze writing, I count those, and I especially do a lot of it in class (I have had all AP english classes in school, and am now in AP Literature in my final year of High Shcool).

Writing sample (optional, but expected):
"Gardevoir, are you ready?"

Trainer looked at me with determined, vivid green eyes, his onyx black hair sweating furiously. This was it. He was down to me, his last Pokemon, against the Kalos champion, Diantha.

I was ready. I nodded my affirmation.

"Then it's time to mega evolve!" His Key Stone glowed and I felt my inner powers stir, a soft pink cocoon bubbling around me. His voice called out to me, and my body listened. My skirt grew in length, my psychic energies expanded, and my eyesight brought everything into a super focus.

"Gardevoir!" I cried, glaring at my opponent, Diantha's own mega evolved Gardevoir. The champion's Kyogre blue eyes sized me up coolly.

Trainer bent down and whispered in my ear, "It's all up to you. I need you to be strong."

I sent my thoughts out to his mind. Right!

"Then let's go. Gardevoir, Moonblast!"

His voice gave me an adrenaline rush. I could feel his heart beating next to mine, even if I wasn't touching him. I tapped into my huge power repertoire and summoned a Moonblast with both hands and fired it at the opposing Gardevoir.

Diantha's voice cried out shrilly. "Teleport!"

My opponent narrowly escaped a direct hit, my Moonblast cracking the floor ever so slightly.

Oh no… I could feel my trainer's anger soaring. "Argh! Don't be so clumsy, Gardevoir! Focus dammit!"

Gah — I can't afford to make any mistakes. My trainer was depending on me, and as his Pokemon, it was my job to deliver.

Diantha snapped her fingers. "Now, Calm Mind."

Her Gardevoir closed her eyes, humming softly.

"Now's our chance! Shadow Ball!"

With a single thought, a Shadow Ball has manifested in my palms. Using my psychic senses, I aim and fire one, two, three — and finally four Shadow Balls at Diantha's Gardevoir.

Diantha laughed. "Moonblast, go!"

Her Gardevoir's eyes snapped open at once. In a blink of an eye, she unleashed five Moonblasts. Oh sweet Arceus, what power! My Shadow Balls were no match for the amplified strength of her Moonblasts. My Shadow Balls exploded, sending dust flying into my eyes.

No! I couldn't see a thing! If I don't something fast, I'll—

"GAARRRRR!" I collapsed to my knees. I don't know what hit me, but it hurt dearly.

"Hey ****wit, get up! We can't afford to lose this!"

Trainer needed me. I-I got to get up. Slowly I started to get back up on my feet.

"Checkmate!" Diantha said with glee. "Hyper Voice, go!"

Her Gardevoir unleashed a horrible sound. My eardrums might have shattered — I couldn't hear a thing. The sound of her voice was draining my energy. No! My power —!

I collapsed again, this time face down on the floor. I could feel my power ebbing away from me. My skirt shrunk, my vision blurred back to normal, and my psychic senses throbbed of immense pain. No… I failed.

"****." He glared at me with a deep loathing. "Return, you useless piece of ****. I knew I shouldn't have relied on you." His words were a slap in the face. The pull of the Pokeball was a mercy too kind for me.

-o-o-o-

Most humans believe a Pokeball is paradise for a Pokemon — apparently, you get your own landscape, a bed, food, grooming, and baths to boot. Well, let me be the first one to tell you that a Pokeball is nothing like that. It's a big, vast space of literally nothing. It's a demonic, eerie white. Trainers believe Pokeballs provide food because, in a Pokeball, your stomach sort of freezes — you don't get hungry.

In fact, a Pokeball could be described a lot like freezing — a Pokemon's health state is "frozen" as well, injuries that would normally kill us are put in a suspended state. (It still hurts like nobody's business though.) The entire scenery could be described as frozen. Nothing moves. There's no wind, no sunshine, no grass, or anything. Just blank, white nothingness.

My Pokeball is a sacred haven, though, kind of like what a bedroom would be to a human. It gives me time to be alone with myself and my thoughts. It's usually a comfort.

At times, though, like now, it could be unnerving, because I know what's coming. Trainer doesn't take failure too well. He's an emotional cyclone. Sometimes he's the best man to be around, and sometimes, he's the most terrifying being in existence.

He isn't going to forgive me lightly. Hopefully, he'll sleep on it and be fine by tomorrow. My trainer is like that, he's only focused on two time frames: what's happening now, and what's not happening now. His anger subsides quickly… usually. I just lost the champion battle — I can bet his anger isn't going to ebb away so easily.

Snap out of it, Gardevoir — we can't think that way. With any luck, he'll forget about me, sleep, and it'll all be over. I just have to have hope.

"Gardevoir… come on out."

Lord Arceus, please have mercy…

I came out of my Pokeball, rather reluctantly, trying hard not to meet my Trainer in the eyes.

"Gardevoir, you failed me." His voice was rugged. My instincts screamed at me to run — being a Gardevoir, I have extraordinary emotional senses. But even without them, it was easy enough to tell that my trainer was livid. He laughed maniacally. "What am I going to do with you, huh?"

He swung his fist at me. I fell down on my bum. He kicked me in the stomach, knocking the wind out of me.

"You useless—!" He kicked me again. "Good for nothing—!" He kicked me in the face this time, breaking my nose. "Piece of garbage!"

The logical side of me was telling me to retaliate, to pick him up with a Psychic and throw him far, far away from me.

But the emotional, loving side of me told me to take it. He's my Trainer. Besides — he doesn't mean it. Like I said, he's an emotional cyclone. He's bipolar. He can't help what he's doing.

And how could I argue with him when he was right? I am useless. I didn't even dent the Champion's Pokemon. He relied on me and I failed to deliver.

"What am I going to do with you, Gardevoir?" He looked down at me with nothing but hate. "Answer me!"

He took his hands and wrapped them around my neck. My lungs started burning. Tears clouded my vision. I tried struggling against his grip, but his grasp was too strong — I was too weak to even use a Psychic at this point.

"You're such a ****. I don't know what I ever saw in you." He released his grip on my neck, but before I could recover, he punched me in the face.

My vision went mercifully black.

Last edited: