• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Better Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I am going to have to go with 4kids. I do not like TPCI's selection for voices of female caracters (except Dawn, I could not imagine her with anything different, not that I know who she wold be done by if DP was 4kids dubbed,) so I HATE the episodes with May/Delia in them, as I did grow very VERY fond of Veronica Taylor's job as those two characters. Delia/Johanna sound identical to me by the way, I mean, is this the new generic "Mother" voice? Also, I grow annoyed with Jessie's, at least Rachel Illis didn't sound so damn whiney when she voiced her. [GULP] Do not want to hear the new Misty then. Can not stand Prof. Oak anymore. Don't even get me started on James...

Actually, I have no serious complaints about Sinnoh-specific characters, well, maybe Nando, too, "pixy" like. Barry's voiced like how he should be, hyperactive. Paul's got that certain arrogance he requires.

It's mainly just, most characters WERE voiced better by their original voice actors (Meowth is the exception, I am aware of Maddie Baustein's fine work, so she was better than his original, Nathan Price). (Ted Lewis instead of Eric Stuart and Billy Bleach for James)

For dialog, I dunno. Both dubs are still infamous by the characters pointing out obviousness. But in my opinion, I think I prefer TPCI on this one, except for TR scenes.

For the opennings, a bit mixed really. The very first one, is simply epic. Johto Journeys (the FIRST Johto season) seems to have a growing hold on me, at its peak for me when HG/SS were released here in Australia. Did not like any of the AG ones actually, and then came the dub change with Battle Frontier. Not the greatest, but better compared to any Hoenn theme song. Did not like any DP themes, until then and only then was "Battle Cry~Stand Up!" I loved that. But, I am disappointed in TPCI for no more than 30 seconds instead of the Japanese ones of nearly two whole minutes.I would go with 4kids, even though they got a bit bland after Johto Journeys.

That's what I think, I'm not wrong or right, as its just one's opinion. Do not bash me.

Last edited:

Yamimori

Shadow's Reflection
I grew up watching the 4kids dub, so for nostalgia reasons I like that dub better.
After the voice actors changed, I just couldn't get into it anymore and went to watching RAW Japanese episodes.
Suprisingly, it's helped with my Japanese more than I thought.
4Kids turned riceballs into donuts, but at least it didn't turn riceballs into sandwiches.

Yumewa

Veronica Taylor

There are some voices I can tolerate from the new Dubbing production, but I feel as though for the main characters I can't really get into it that much. I haven't watched Pokemon for a few years now because of it. I suppose I'm just clinging on to old strings. I do wonder why they changed the voices, none of the characters have aged (As we know since Ash is still 10 in BW) D;

So I've been trying to access her website for some time now, trying to listen to some old samples. But every time I click on the link I'm prompted to download something. Has that happened to anyone before? I always decline it since I have no idea what it is.

card986

4kids is the worst company EVER. I have to say i sort of agree with you but i'll have to go with anything bu 4kids.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I am going to have to go with 4kids. I do not like TPCI's selection for voices of female caracters (except Dawn, I could not imagine her with anything different, not that I know who she wold be done by if DP was 4kids dubbed,) so the episodes with May/Delia in them, as I did grow very VERY fond of Veronica Taylor's job as those two characters.

May's PUSA voice really wasn't THAT much different than Veronica's. And during eps where it mattered, like the Kanto GF or the Manaphy movie, May's voice was pretty spot on to how she was supposed to sound.

I mean really, what is May supposed to sound like, anyway? Just a young girl who is growing into her teen years, which both voices suited the character.

SaveOurPokemon

Original Series Fan
Honestly, it's not really about which voice suited which character. The only reason people may be dissatisfied with May's new voice is due to the fact that one previously existed to compare it to. The eight years 4Kids dubbed were also the first eight years, which means that their VAs are what defined those characters. I will always prefer the original cast, but I'm fairly certain if I were to grow up with Sarah Natochenny voicing Ash and then have it changed to Veronica Taylor, I wouldn't like it.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
So is this why the voices for the DP characters were well received, because they had no prior voice?

We'll never know what characters like Dawn, Paul, Barry, or the other DP characters would have sounded like if 4kids was still dubbing.

I'm also curious as to what Iris and Dento will sound like when Best Wishes gets dubbed. I'll definitely make sure to catch the first ep with both just so I can see what they sound like in english.

Just wondering, am I the only one who thinks it would be awesome if Dent were to be voiced by Vic Mignogna? I know it's never gonna happen, but it would be cool if it could.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
May's PUSA voice really wasn't THAT much different than Veronica's. And during eps where it mattered, like the Kanto GF or the Manaphy movie, May's voice was pretty spot on to how she was supposed to sound.

I mean really, what is May supposed to sound like, anyway? Just a young girl who is growing into her teen years, which both voices suited the character.
Sorry CyberCubed, but I disagree. I'm going with SpacialRend on this one.

I much prefer Veronica Taylor's portrayal of May and Delia, over the new VAs.

Sure, I think Michele Knotz does a fine/average May voice. It certainly doesn't bother me as much as Sarah Natochenny's Ash voice does, and that's a good thing. However, in my opinion Veronica Taylor pulled off the young girl voice better. I just really like the sound of Veronica's May voice. Like she did with Ash, Veronica gave May a lot of "energy" that you can really hear when you watch Pokemon and listen to the character's lines.

Personally, I hated the D/P episodes where May returned, simply because her new VA started using a completely different pitch. She sounded way too old, in my opinion. And I think that was also my first impression in the beginning, when I heard May's new voice back in Battle Frontier. I thought she sounded a bit too old then, like 20-something instead of a young girl. But somehow, May's new voice got WORSE when she returned in D/P for the Wallace Cup. In those episodes, she sounded like a woman in her early 30s. o_O

There are some voices I can tolerate from the new Dubbing production, but I feel as though for the main characters I can't really get into it that much. I haven't watched Pokemon for a few years now because of it. I suppose I'm just clinging on to old strings. I do wonder why they changed the voices, none of the characters have aged (As we know since Ash is still 10 in BW) D;

So I've been trying to access her website for some time now, trying to listen to some old samples. But every time I click on the link I'm prompted to download something. Has that happened to anyone before? I always decline it since I have no idea what it is.
I agree with you. Although, I do watch the new D/P episodes every Saturday, I don't enjoy those episodes as much as the old episodes with the original voices.

I really do think it's a nostalgia/attachment thing. The more you like the original voices, the more you miss them. =)

And about Veronica Taylor's website, I'm having the same problem. In fact, I actually spoke with Veronica in person at NYCC/NYAF in October, and apparently, she wasn't aware that her website was down (hehe, guess I was the first fan to mention it!! XD). So, I informed her about this, and then she told me it was a server issue or something. She also told me that she has hired a web designer!! I think she plans to update her website too. But I don't know when her website will be back up exactly... XD

Anyway, I'll let you know more when I get more info. ^^

Last edited:
Personally, I hated the D/P episodes where May returned, simply because her new VA started using a completely different pitch. She sounded way too old, in my opinion. And I think that was also my first impression in the beginning, when I heard May's new voice back in Battle Frontier. I thought she sounded a bit too old then, like 20-something instead of a young girl. But somehow, May's new voice got WORSE when she returned in D/P for the Wallace Cup. In those episodes, she sounded like a woman in her early 30s. o_O

I think you're overreacting now. May did sound slightly older when she got her new VA, but to say she sounded in her 30's? hahaha. I agree she sounded close to 20's back in the BF, because I was kind of upset with that when I was still actually watching the show. But I got used to it, and it basically became her actual voice, that fit May perfectly. ESPECIALLY because the big maturity she began to gain towards the end of the series ..and especially when she appeared in the Wallace cup.
It fit her now mature personality.

The fact that some people are still so stuck in the past (STILL WHATTHEEFF IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS GROW UP!!) that they REFUSE to like anything about the 'new' Pokemon. It's still Pokemon. Get over it. The new voices are fine. If you actually let yourself get used to them, like every normal person did, then we wouldn't have this problem. You will get used to them, if you let yourself.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Actually, you should read my post again. When I said it seemed like May was in her 30s, I was ONLY talking about when May returned for the D/P episodes, during the Wallace Cup. In Battle Frontier, I said it sounded like she was in her 20s, which was fine. I don't hate May's new voice. I thought it was okay/decent. But even so, I preferred her original voice simply because it was her original voice. Makes sense, right?

Personally, I just think Veronica Taylor did a great job of portraying May overall. And I like what she did with the character. But that's just my opinion.

And I'm not stuck in the past. I'm simply a HUGE fan of the 4Kids dub of Pokemon (the first 8 seasons and first 8 movies respectively).

Also, you can calm down now. For your information, I have watched every episode of the TPCi dub, since the VA switch. So I still watch the new episodes of D/P Sinnoh League Victors on Saturday mornings. Most of the new voices don't bother me (except for Sarah's Ash voice, and that's understandable because Ash is my favorite character).

However, I do prefer the original voices, because I'm very attached to them. And I'm not saying everyone has to like the old voices either. I'm just saying that, this is just my opinion. And I should be allowed to prefer the original voices, if I want, as that is my own opinion.

All I'm saying is, just because the new voices are the current voices of the characters, doesn't mean we HAVE to prefer them and forget the original voices even existed. I mean, I actually like the new voices/don't mind them (except for Sarah's Ash voice). I've gotten used to the new voices as much as possible, and that's the best I can do.

Although, unfortunately, because of the VA change, I will never enjoy the TPCi dub as much as the 4Kids dub... But that's okay. It doesn't bother me, because I will always like the old episodes better.

Anyway, regardless of my opinion on the voice acting, I still watch the new Pokemon episodes (and of course, I watch the old episodes too), and that's all that really matters.

Last edited:
Actually, you should read my post again. When I said it seemed like May was in her 30s, I was ONLY talking about when May returned for the D/P episodes, during the Wallace Cup. In Battle Frontier, I said it sounded like she was in her 20s, which was fine. I don't hate May's new voice. I thought it was okay/decent. But even so, I preferred her original voice simply because it was her original voice. Makes sense, right?

Don't underestimate me. I know what you meant.

Personally, I just think Veronica Taylor did a great job of portraying May overall. And I like what she did with the character. But that's just my opinion.

All she did was voice her. She didn't do anything else? She didn't make her character or change how she acted.
For example, I sound like a crazy little girl most of the time, though I'm 20. Voices don't make people. Their personality does.

However, I do prefer the original voices, because I'm very attached to them. And I'm not saying everyone has to like the old voices either. I'm just saying that, this is just my opinion. And I should be allowed to prefer the original voices, if I want, as that is my own opinion.

How are you attached to a drawing speaking?

Although, unfortunately, because of the VA change, I will never enjoy the TPCi dub as much as the 4Kids dub... But that's okay. It doesn't bother me, because I will always like the old episodes better.

......?
because of the voices..
*sigh*

Last edited:

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Voices don't make people. Their personality does.
That's not true. The voice actors in an animated show make the characters who they are. They bring the character's personality to life, through their acting. Let me explain.

In an anime or cartoon, there are two things which bring the character to life. The dialogue (what's written on the script), and the voice acting. Both of these things come together to help make the animated characters who they are.

It's the same as live action shows. In live action TV shows and movies, the actors portray fictional characters and bring them to life. Well, it's the same way with cartoons and anime. But the only difference is that you only hear the actor's voice, as they bring the animated characters to life. And the actor does this through, not just doing the character's voice, but also through acting and their unique portrayal of the character. When the voice actor says their lines, and the animated character sounds real to the viewer, that's called voice acting.

How are you attached to a drawing speaking?
Uh, maybe because I'm a big fan of Pokemon, and I really like the characters? Any true fan of the show would be attached to the characters in some way.

I mean, for one thing, I've been watching Pokemon ever since it first started airing. And for me, that was about 11 or 12 years ago.

And secondly, the original voice actors worked on the show for 8 years. And that was the first 8 seasons of the show. It's only natural that some fans (like me) would be used to hearing the old voices and prefer them, because they grew up watching Pokemon.

But of course, I realize that not everyone has seen the old episodes. And some people didn't grow up watching the old episodes either. So, of course, people have different reasons for watching Pokemon.

For me though, one thing I really liked about the Pokemon anime was the voice acting. Which again, is why I like the 4Kids dub better.

That IS the main question of this thread, you know. "Which dub do you like better? 4Kids or TPCi dub?"

Last edited:

AdvancedK9

SHOOP DA WOOP!!!
I'mma go with the crowd and bomb 4Kids for outright suckishness in their ability to dub.

PUSA/TPCi or whatev at least does this half decently.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Wow, I never understood exactly how TPCi dubs Pokemon better.

To be honest, I don't see what they're doing differently than 4Kids (besides the obvious stuff like the script writing and voice acting). I mean, they still replace the Japanese BGM, like 4Kids did...

I guess people just like them because they're "not 4Kids", lol. =P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.