• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Better Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
4Kids actually has a soul and has voice actors without a mental illness.
It may not be directed toward anybody on the forum, but this is still very offensive. I think we're well beyond the point where it's no longer okay to criticize old and new voice actors (although it's so worn-out that I don't see why you'd even want to do it), but please, use criticism in a respectful fashion.

TehLulzMastur

To be honest, this is a really bold and unexpected decision, but... 4Kids wins!

Ash sounds like a kid from Springfield Elementry in the TPCI dub.

Louispierce

TBH I like both of them I have always watched pokemon it is one of the things I have grew up with, as I have watched pokemon from the start I have just got use to the slight changes in voices when the pokemon company took over so hats off to the both of them they have both done an awesome job

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
I like both dubs to be quite honest. I can't choose between the VA's either since I feel both of them are equal.

Both dubs are pretty okay. I just like sitting back and enjoying what I watch. Analysing the cartoon actually kills it for me since Pokemon as a whole has so many floors to begin with.=P

So I don't bother analysing thse days.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
It may not be directed toward anybody on the forum, but this is still very offensive. I think we're well beyond the point where it's no longer okay to criticize old and new voice actors (although it's so worn-out that I don't see why you'd even want to do it), but please, use criticism in a respectful fashion.

Yeah, I guess that was kind of a low blow. Sorry.

The voice actors just seem fake, you know? They don't fit the characters' personalities, and Ash's voice actor still doesn't sound right to me after so many episodes.

IDK. Sorry.

Kotone

of course 4KIDS omg this sohuldn't even be a question , it's like comparing a lake to a drop of water

charizardmaster125

4Kids was the best right off the back. They had some talented voice actors and most of the movies and episodes that they did were well written. The theme songs and openings that 4 Kids produced were also brilliant. They hardly ever used shots from the actual episodes, the openings mainly consisted of clips from the original Japanese ones.

Although the PCI is improving, their openings for Season's 9, 10, 11 & 12 (V1) mainly consisted of shots from early episodes in the show which looked un professional. Their songs are all good with the exception of The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon, no offence to the writers or vocalists but it was that bad. They should have used the 1st Season song since it was the 10th Aniversary and what we used to sing along to in the morning.

On a voice actor note, did anyone notice that Mike Pollock (Eggman / Robotnick from Sonic X) has reprived his role as Mr Contesta in "Yes in Dee Dee its Dawn" ? Is somone working within the company actualy listening and hoping to reinstate Veronica, Eric and Rachael?

PUSA

While 4Kids had the original voice actors, I've grown accustomed to the newer voice actors now. I agree, however, that 4Kids had the better opening songs, I'm not a big fan of PUSA's openings, especially the DP Rap. 4Kids also had the practice of making pointless edits, such as turning rice balls into doughnuts and editing Japanese writing in order to Americanize it. I also can't forgive 4Kids on how they completely butchered movies such as Mewtwo Strikes Back and Pokemon Heroes.

Mewkachu

Sexuality is a cult.
From what I've heard, 4Kids is 4Babies.

Shinnie-tan

TPCI. While some(only some mind you) 4kids actors breathed more life into the characters and the 4kids openings tend to sound better, overall, TPCI does a better job. We don't have to worry about ridiculous paint editing of riceballs any more for one and we know that the movies will always be treated well.

Champion Jared 14

4KIDS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.....

And that's a fact. They had the better scripts, dialogue, plot, translations, everything, they had the better voice actors, especially for the pokemon, have you heard how terrible Staravia, Rhyperior, and Staraptor, are in PUSA?? Have you seen the PUSA intros?? A mess!!

Giovanni

Long lost trainer
i missed james old dub voice it was the best and hilarious to the end,despite his new being similar,it does not please us of wht we really knew how james was.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl

And that's a fact. They had the better scripts, dialogue, plot, translations, everything, they had the better voice actors, especially for the pokemon, have you heard how terrible Staravia, Rhyperior, and Staraptor, are in PUSA?? Have you seen the PUSA intros?? A mess!!
4kids had better V/A and songs I agree on that but better translations? You know that ep where Pokeshippers worship, Misty said Ash and her gonna get marry? In the Jap version Misty actually said "Looks like she fell for Brock at first sight" And you said it's a better translation, they're not even close. And what's with a better plot? 4kids didn't make the plot nor did PUSA, Japan did...

Last edited:

Nostalgic Hybrid

Judged By Username
4kids had better V/A and songs I agree on that but better translations? You know that ep where Pokeshippers worship, Misty said Ash and her gonna get marry? In the Jap version Misty actually said "Looks like she fell for Brock at first sight" And you said it's a better translation, they're not even close. And what's with a better plot? 4kids didn't make the plot nor did PUSA, Japan did...

It's considered a hint, but it's more a joke than anything else. 4Kids did things like that quite often. Lots of puns, lots of jokes. Personally, though a lot of it is corny, I think it gave it a lot more life. I was much, much younger then though, but I still don't care for what I've seen of the recent work, but I've grown out of the anime long ago due to its routine-like episodes and loss of Ash's immaturity and playful nature.
The new songs are terrible. They fall flat and spout too much mantra, all while being shorter.

With all that said, I don't think 4Kids is perfect. Far from it.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
PUSA just doesn't have that same pokemon feel back in the old days...

I don't want to go too much into it but the DP and battle frontier (season 9) japanese episodes for me have a completely different feel to me than the early japanese episodes. Even Satoshi changed in DP despite having the same VA. So yeah your right that they're different though I honestly don't think it would have mattered who dubbed them.

The feel of the show I think was going to change no matter what. It just seemed like it was just something that couldn't be stopped once the japanese did it.

It was this massive change in feel that kept me watching though so I'm happy. I was looking for something new and fresh back during season 8 so I watched a future japanese episode which was a season 9 episode. It had a different feel. Same with DP.

I watch the english version mainly however I have a few japanese DVD's now of both early and late stuff.

I suspect the next region will have a different feel again. I'm getting vibes they're going to change things again feel wise.

However despite all this I can see how someone who doesn't like the change might not like the feel. Everyones different.

Last edited:

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY

I haven't watched many episodes (probably around 10-ish), but have you heard Gliscor's voice? For such an awesome-looking Pokemon, it has such an...un-fitting voice.

Example: GLI GLISCOR GLI

i missed james old dub voice it was the best and hilarious to the end,despite his new being similar,it does not please us of wht we really knew how james was.

I think the new voice pretty much destroyed all chances of Rocketshipping. I mean, come on, what kind of lady wants to get with a fan who sounds like that?

(Again, I still can't get used to the voices. James sounds a bit...well..."gay".

~

Also, please tell me that every episode does NOT have moments like these...

*shudders*

And now you all know why I hate TPCI.

randomspot555

I never did get all the way through Hoenn, though I have listened to their theme songs. They're...okay, but they never really caught on with me. The only good 4kids songs that I still enjoy are the original theme and Pokemon Johto. Orange Islands theme and the other Johto things are in the "average" category.

PUSA's opening themes...I'll admit the initial D/P opening wasn't that great (though I have nothing against using episode clips over the openings from Japan). But We Will be Heroes with the female vocalist is a great song and I wish they did a full version of it. The full version of Battle Cry was also good, though it's annoying that they changed the credits 2-3 times.

Sinnoh League Victors flat out sucks, though the opening animations themselve are pretty good.

As for Voice Acting, the only voice that really annoys me is Oak's. Everything else I think is close enough to the original or unique enough but still fits the character. As for Pokemon cries, I think both PUSA, 4kids, and even the Japanese raw have a fair number of horrible cries. I think Gible's dub cry is horrible. They should've kept the original cry.

I don't think I can really judge how scripts are since I don't know how that works. Though there are less horrible puns nowadays, and I like that. The episode titles still suck though.

I'm gonna say they're about even. But unless I need a fix or there's a marathon that I can TIVO, I don't watch the dubs much nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.