• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Better Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernikova

Champion
I'll take Pokémon USA as well. I like their voice actors and the writing better. They have some episodes where they keep the whole original track so they have that going for them as well. They also don't crop the movies so that's why I like them better.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Sadly, as much as it pains me to say this, Pokemon USA, that is to say, the "new guys" write the best dub. Notice I said "write" the best dub and not "voice" out the best dub. I like how Pokemon USA has written the dubbed episodes since the beginning of the Sinnoh Saga. Things seem easier to understand and I love that they keep a lot of the orginial BGM. 4Kids had the best voice actors though. I still won't forget Veronica and all the work she put into voicing Ash but 4kids' writing staff wasn't "on the ball" half the time. I think they tried too hard to "Americanize" Pokemon. It didn't work out very well...

TheFarmboy

Depends. Apparently what I see is that 4Kids was at their Golden Age (before the dark times like One-Piece to the fandom) when they dubbed Pokemon. Of course, I liked Digimon when I was a youngster, but the voices are quite good. But theres the un-needed americanization. the PUSA Dub seems to give Ash and Co. A big bowl of hormones for breakie got voice acting. Hard to say really.

KeshanAmare

The Dark Shadow
4Kids.

/10charlimit.

Bbran5

I think 4Kids is better. The opening theme songs are way better. The voices for TPCI are very bad. I've only watched a few of those episodes and Ash, James, and Meowth's voices, when compared to their 4Kids ones, sound so different. Since I really liked their original voices, it really makes me not like TPCI. Also, TPCI's writing, in my opinion, is not better than 4Kids.

Last edited:

Kojinka

An Inside Joke
4Kids definitely had better lead voice acting and openings. Some of the minor voices got a bit repetitive, and I've noticed a lot of bad puns when watching Johto episodes on Boomerang. Despite those faults, I still prefer the 4Kids dub because I think my nostalgia glasses might be glued on to me.

I haven't watched the PUSA dub enough to really give it a proper judgment in terms of the quality in translation and editing. (mostly because I have a hard time transitioning to the new voices.) Last time I watched an episode of the PUSA Dub, I noticed the actors have made improvements since the godawful Mirage Pokemon special, but they still don't hold a candle to the 4Kids actors. It's nice, though, that they brought a few 4Kids actors back. We still have Ted Lewis doing Giovanni.

To me, Veronica Taylor will always be the best Ash, and Eric Stuart will always be the best Brock and James. I prefer Rachel Lillis' Jessie, but the PUSA voice actor does a pretty good job too. I can handle Ash as well as long as I tell myself he's going through puberty. Brock, James, and Meowth are just painful for me to listen to. I have heard a couple great impressions that come very close to matching Maddie Blaustein's Meowth. Jimmy Zoppi just sounds like he's trying too hard.

comparison of Maddie, Jimmy, and Little Kuriboh (doing a Naruto character, but if you add a Brooklyn/New Jersey accent to that voice, it would make a near-perfect Meowth.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atF0J8UwokE
A fan impersonation back during the SOVA movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMe1GJyy-XE

Bubblewrap

PUSA. I watched all of the series, but that was only loosely on TV. Now I'm actually more into the episodes now, I think the PUSA voice actors make the characters much more likeable.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
The transition of dubs at Season 9 was difficult to adjust to, there's no denying about that. What I will miss the most is Veronica's voice of May and Delia. Ash's, I didn't like his PUSA voice originally, but eventually I got used to it in the Sinnoh saga, so all is good. What I don't like as well is James. Eric Stuart was the sh**! I just do not like Jimmy Zoppi's job at it, but glad that guy returned for Gary.

Now what do I think of the titles? Not bad, just stay away from referencing crap try-hard bands like Fall Out Boy, I mean seriously, that was a HORRIBLE choice, on PUSA's behalf. Nothing wrong with "Another One Gabites the Dust" though. "Smells like Teen Team Spirit" was pretty good, mainly cause Nirvana was awesome.

Overall though, I'm not really sure. I mean, like others have said, 4kids back in Season 1 were at their peak, but after a while dropped. PUSA, they made sure they didn't misidentify things such as moves, Pokemon, etc, but after a while, in all honesty, I kinda get bored.

Last edited:

Gipauchii

Elite Trainer
People will never let this go will they? Anyway, I'll throw in the pros and cons of both dubs:

4Kids (Pros)
.Good voice actors
.Dub-made trivia in episodes
.Good opening themes

4kids (Cons)
.Excessive and unnecessary paint editing
.Constant display of dub errors and mistranslations (that don't get fixed)
.Removal of almost all Japanese music in most episodes

TPCI (Pros)
.Good, more mature script
.Keeps a good amount of Japanese music
.Fixes errors they make in the dub
.Accurate translations from the Japanese version
.Minimal edits to the original show art

TPCI (Cons)
.Mediocre voice actors (although improvement is showing)
.Somewhat inconsistent with the dub
.No trivia or other specials in episodes
.Dub music isn't very spectacular

Overall, I'd have to say that TPCI wins for me, though it is a close battle. I still think that either Viz Media or Funimation should have gotten the rights to dub the show, since they dub shows the correct way.

BlueVapor

If you're saying "4Kids, because the openings are better", that's sad. Your not watching the show for the openings, your watching it for the actual show...

And in short, they're both good in their own ways, 4Kids had better voice acting, where as TPCI has a better script. It's a toss up.

3lmi

pimping aint easy
If you're saying "4Kids, because the openings are better", that's sad. Your not watching the show for the openings, your watching it for the actual show...

And in short, they're both good in their own ways, 4Kids had better voice acting, where as TPCI has a better script. It's a toss up.

I agree, even though the theme song might be good, that's not what you came to see. I like the voice acting even though the scripts are very horrible.

Crimson_Blazer

It's probably because I'm older and not that into the anime anymore, but the VA is seriously cringe worthy at moments. There is so much silence between convos, talking to people is supposed to be dynamic and quick, not having 5 seconds of silence after each person talks.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Speaking of the scripts, I find PUSA's to be pretty bland and repetitive. They've improved, but they're still just...so bland.

And IMO, the 4Kids dub-music was just epic. Good that they removed the originals :p

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
I'm sorry for bumping a thread that's 2 months old (please don't kill me), but omg, I just had to post here. XD

Hands down, the 4Kids dub is way better, in my opinion.

- Classic Pokemon episodes that, when you watch them now, they bring back LOTS of memories of when you first saw those episodes on KidsWB

- the dub-created BGM that 4Kids created was EXCELLENT, in my opinion. I loved it!!

- The 4Kids episode titles had puns! I love those puns!

- Eyecatches, I mean, who could forget "Who's That Pokemon" and the "Trainer's Choice" segments"? Pokemon sure doesn't seem like Pokemon without those. =)

- The opening themes (while most people like the original Pokemon theme best because of nostalgia, my favorite Pokemon themes are the ones that David Rolfe sang, for the openings of season 4 through season 8)

- Pikachu's Jukebox endings at the end of season 2 episodes, and Pokemon Karaokemon ending at the end of Johto Journeys episodes. I loved these songs! They were awesome! =D

- And finally, I've saved the best for last. The original voice actors. You know those familiar voices that you heard for 8 years while watching the first 8 seasons of Pokemon? Yeah! Those voices! Can't you just feel the nostalgia, when you hear those voices again (when watching the old episodes)? It's wonderful!! Oh, I miss that feeling of watching a new Pokemon episode, and hearing the original voices! That is priceless! X3

Also, I noticed that someone mentioned Veronica Taylor up there? I love her! She is amazing! And, in my opinion, she will always be the true Ash Ketchum. No offense to any Sarah Natochenny fans out there (I know some of you like her), but I grew up watching Pokemon and hearing Veronica's Ash voice. So, of course, whenever I think of Ash, I always imagine him with Veronica's voice. She is the original voice actor, and she will always be Ash Ketchum to me. <3

Also, you know what the funny thing is? Before reading this thread, I seriously thought I was the only Pokemon fan who prefers the 4Kids dub over the TPCi dub. Hehe, it's good to know that I'm not alone there. Also, I'm glad to see that people haven't forgotten the original voices. I so was worried about that. But now I'm relieved to know they haven't been forgotten. =)

Anyway, moving on, I need to talk about the TPCi dub. Overall, I feel that it's good/decent/okay (depending on the episode in question). I mean, it's certainly watchable. I'm not saying it's a terrible show, as I have been watching it myself despite my personal opinion of the TPCi dub. So I am somewhat enjoying it (just not as much as I enjoyed watching the 4Kids dub, lol). To be honest, with the TPCi dub, personally, the reason I'm watching it is so I can keep track of what's going on with the show, and because I want to know what happens next. I am a dub-only fan, and thus, I don't watch the Japanese version. I will admit, the TPCi dub has its good points. For example, the script is good, and the opening themes are fine. TPCi's opening themes don't bother me. But the voice acting...could be a lot better, in my opinion.

Now don't get me wrong, the TPCi dub as it is right now is a decent show. It's good, but in general, it simply falls short of fan expectations of what Pokemon should be. And I say that it falls short of fan expectations, because - being a long time fan of the Pokemon anime myself, I can tell that this show isn't the same one I grew up watching. You see, it isn't the quality of the voice acting in the TPCi dub that upsets me, because that's subjective to the viewer. Rather, it's the simple fact that the show is different, and it's those differences themselves that upset me. And with the D/P seasons, it saddens me to think that kids nowadays are watching a completely different show. I wish they could see the same Pokemon dub that we older fans enjoyed, back in the good old days.

On a voice actor note, did anyone notice that Mike Pollock (Eggman / Robotnick from Sonic X) has reprived his role as Mr Contesta in "Yes in Dee Dee its Dawn" ? Is somone working within the company actualy listening and hoping to reinstate Veronica, Eric and Rachael?
Question 1: Yes, I noticed that!

I was very pleased to find out that Mike Pollock regained his original role as Mr. Contesta. It's always nice to hear a familiar voice on the show. =)

Question 2: I sure hope so! I want that to happen more than anything!! <3

Also, here's an interesting thought. Ash looks different in the new Best Wishes series. He has not only a new outfit, but his eyes look different too. He actually looks a lot...younger, in my opinion. Hehe, perhaps they might decide to give Ash a new voice to go along with his new look? That would certainly make sense, wouldn't it? And in my opinion, no one would be more fitting for that role, than Veronica Taylor.

I've also seen previews of the Best Wishes series, and apparently the show is going back to its original roots? In the previews, I saw Ash doing stupid/dense/funny things that he used to do a lot in the old seasons. I also see him turning his hat backwards again. All of this sounds like nostalgia to me!!

But hey, wait a minute...something's missing from the TPCi dub right now (among other things), and that's Ash's original voice. Ash's original voice sounds nostalgic, right?

So, imagine how awesome the dub version of Best Wishes would be if they brought back Veronica Taylor? It would be perfect! So much nostalgia! Now, if only TPCi would do the right thing, and decide to bring Veronica back to voice Ash for Best Wishes.

Well, you never know what could happen. And nothing is set in stone yet for the dub version of Best Wishes. Personally, I think it's possible. They might change their minds, if enough fans speak up about how they feel. And you know what they say, where there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited:

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Question 2: I sure hope so! I want that to happen more than anything!! <3

Also, here's an interesting thought. Ash looks different in the new Best Wishes series. He has not only a new outfit, but his eyes look different too. He actually looks a lot...younger, in my opinion. Hehe, perhaps they might decide to give Ash a new voice to go along with his new look? That would certainly make sense, wouldn't it? And in my opinion, no one would be more fitting for that role, than Veronica Taylor.

I've also seen previews of the Best Wishes series, and apparently the show is going back to its original roots? In the previews, I saw Ash doing stupid/dense/funny things that he used to do a lot in the old seasons. I also see him turning his hat backwards again. All of this sounds like nostalgia to me!!

But hey, wait a minute...something's missing from the TPCi dub right now (among other things), and that's Ash's original voice. Ash's original voice sounds nostalgic, right?

So, imagine how awesome the dub version of Best Wishes would be if they brought back Veronica Taylor? It would be perfect! So much nostalgia! Now, if only TPCi would do the right thing, and decide to bring Veronica back to voice Ash for Best Wishes.

Well, you never know what could happen. And nothing is set in stone yet for the dub version of Best Wishes. Personally, I think it's possible. They might change their minds, if enough fans speak up about how they feel. And you know what they say, where there's a will, there's a way.[/QUOTE]
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
sorry but why would they fire a talented voice actor because your stuck in the past the pokemon voice acting dub have improved dramatically over the years that their dub is nearly as good as 4 kids so why would they ruin their momentum because of nostalga then the fans who watch pokemon now ill be saying wtff happened to ash's voice it sucks now.

so their is no chance of a voice switch but im open to ted lewis picking up the role of james :)

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Well, that is your opinion, but I disagree. Afterall, the topic of this thread is "which dub is better". I answered that with saying I prefer the 4Kids dub.

Now, it's clear to me that you prefer the TPCi dub. Which is fine, of course. :)

Also, you said you don't see another VA switch happening. Okay, that's cool. It's your opinion. But you have to remember, no one expected the VA switch that went down in 2006 to happen either. But it still happened.

Anyway, I was basically saying "Well, what if another VA switch happened?", and you're saying, "why would they fire a talented voice actor because your stuck in the past ". So, here's my response to that part of your post.

Why did TPCi try to fix something that wasn't broken?

All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, Pokemon wasn't broken to begin with. But for some reason, TPCi felt the need to change it, when they replaced the original cast who had been there for 8 years. Am I the only one who finds that strange, how all of that happened?

And yeah, some people like the old voices better, some like the new voices better, and some people like both. There's no right or wrong here. I'm not here to debate the "quality" of the voice acting, because obviously, everyone's opinions of good and bad voice acting are different. =P

Generally speaking, people have different tastes in voice acting. And I'm sure there are lot of people out there who prefer the new voices, but I just don't see very many of those fans around. I mean, judging from what I've seen, a lot of people seem to prefer the original voices...just because, you know, they're the originals. They were there first and for a long amount of time, so that sorta gives them an advantage, in regards to fans liking them. But on the other hand, with the new VAs, I understand those are very hard shoes to fill, because the original cast raised the bar so high. So, in a way, the situation is upside down (the original cast lost jobs that they loved, while on the other hand, the new cast works hard to be those characters and fill those same shoes). Wow, what a bad situation. I feel sorry for everyone, to be honest.

But as far as my personal preference goes, I'm simply very attached to the original cast, because like I said, I prefer the 4Kids dub, lol.

And hehe, I might be wearing nostalgia glasses, but hey, most people who have been watching Pokemon since the beginning are wearing nostalgia glasses. Or maybe they're wearing fingerless-gloves of nostalgia instead? Haha, sorry, I couldn't resist saying that. XD

Last edited:

Yankees4life

RONALDO!!!
forget about it. Its 4Kids

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Well, that is your opinion, but I disagree. Afterall, the topic of this thread is "which dub is better". I answered that with saying I prefer the 4Kids dub.

Now, it's clear to me that you prefer the TPCi dub. Which is fine, of course. :)

Also, you said you don't see another VA switch happening. Okay, that's cool. It's your opinion. But you have to remember, no one expected the VA switch that went down in 2006 to happen either. But it still happened.

Anyway, I was basically saying "Well, what if another VA switch happened?", and you're saying, "why would they fire a talented voice actor because your stuck in the past ". So, here's my response to that part of your post.

Why did TPCi try to fix something that wasn't broken?

All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, Pokemon wasn't broken to begin with. But for some reason, TPCi felt the need to change it, when they replaced the original cast who had been there for 8 years. Am I the only one who finds that strange, how all of that happened?

And yeah, some people like the old voices better, some like the new voices better, and some people like both. There's no right or wrong here. I'm not here to debate the "quality" of the voice acting, because obviously, everyone's opinions of good and bad voice acting are different. =P

Generally speaking, people have different tastes in voice acting. And I'm sure there are lot of people out there who prefer the new voices, but I just don't see very many of those fans around. I mean, judging from what I've seen, a lot of people seem to prefer the original voices...just because, you know, they're the originals. They were there first and for a long amount of time, so that sorta gives them an advantage, in regards to fans liking them. But on the other hand, with the new VAs, I understand those are very hard shoes to fill, because the original cast raised the bar so high. So, in a way, the situation is upside down (the original cast lost jobs that they loved, while on the other hand, the new cast works hard to be those characters and fill those same shoes). Wow, what a bad situation. I feel sorry for everyone, to be honest.

But as far as my personal preference goes, I'm simply very attached to the original cast, because like I said, I prefer the 4Kids dub, lol.

And hehe, I might be wearing nostalgia glasses, but hey, most people who have been watching Pokemon since the beginning are wearing nostalgia glasses. Or maybe they're wearing fingerless-gloves of nostalgia instead? Haha, sorry, I couldn't resist saying that. XD

1st. i don't entierly prefer the tpci dub they were horrible from battle frontier to mid galactic battles and i said they are nearly at 4kids lvl now. i also they have dramatically improved so much so thats why they are nearly with 4kids
4 kids has better openings a slight voice actors but not a better dub but tpci has a better dub and better songs and better writing

2nd. they switched voice actors in 2006 cause 4kids wanted a bit more money but they couldn't afford it so they had to let them go to do inhouse dubbing yes they can afford 4kids now because their getting higher ratings now and more marketing and games selling better then ever but then they will ruin their own improved dub

3rd. and alot more people prefer the original dub because the tpci dub sucked from battle frontier to mid galactic battles none of them watch the new episodes so their going off from tpci bad stage when they were just beginners and that annoys me.

4th. people replace nostalgic for quality no one even know how much 4kids boched the shows so bad they completely ruined the 1st and 5th pokemon movie with terrible writings and puns because 4kids are horrible with writings everyone knows they boched those movies and about the pokemon episodes they took of all the original Japanese music which made alot of people hate them.

last. about 50% of people prefer 4kids voiced but not their dub because 4kids are a bunch of greedy knobs who took out anything related to Japanese like riceballs and turned them into donuts and i said 50% of people because the other 50% are kids who love pokemon who don't nerd it out on the internet.

THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.