• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Better Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Misty has appeared in about 42% of the episodes. How could you say she is not a major part of Pokemon?

As a character she was about as important as any other character.

In terms of the overall series, she's in less than half of it. The show is currently in its 14th season, Misty was only in the show for 5 short years.

She was the shortest lived Kanto character of the show. Ash, Brock and TR are all in double the amount of episodes she was in.

SaveOurPokemon

Original Series Fan
Short lived or not, she's surely memorable. And are you forgetting that May and Dawn were each on the show for 4 "short" years? Misty fell victim to the constant cycle of female companions they decided to institute after the OS. And you can say the exact same thing for May and Dawn. So it's impossible that Misty could be less known or important than the other main females except for those, of course, who did not start watching the show until after Season 5 (which, admittedly, is a large portion of the current child audience).

But how do we know it was because of money?

Sure, that's the most logical explanation. But what if there's more to the story? I believe TPCi could be hiding something about the VA change.

What they're hiding, I don't know. But the whole thing seems Corphishy to me (yay, I made a pun XD).

That's another reason I like the 4Kids dub better. Their title puns are awesome!! =D

We know exactly the cause- if you remember, Lisa, about two years ago we spoke with a prolific voice actor (whose name I don't think would be proper to reveal) who confirmed that the 4Kids cast's contracts contained a two year non-compete clause (I think that's the term) which would prevent them from immediately working on Pokemon for that amount of time. Of course, any contract can be broken, as Zoppi and Rogers proved, but I'm sure said contract could also be re-negotiated or worked around. So, while it's likely the veteran 4Kids staff would be earning more than the new VAs PUSA hired, they also probably did not want to fork out extra money that they might have had to in negotiating with 4Kids a way around this clause. Of course, after that two year period ended, several VAs from 4Kids who previously worked on the show returned. And also of course, it was DuArt's decision to rehire them- for minor roles. One might also guess that the voice director does not have the authority to switch around the main cast, and TPCi has that say. As such, we could have just had fill-in voices for two seasons before a switch back, but it was unfortunately decided that this wouldn't be the case.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Didn't Eric Stuart move on from 4kids? I thought I heard he retired from voice acting a few years back. And as we know, Maddie sadly passed away.

So with Ash and Team Rocket as the only returning characters in the new series, that leaves two voice actors:

Veronica Taylor for Ash and Rachael Lilis for Jessie...and...that's it really.

Meowth no longer has a former voice actor, Brock is gone, Eric Stuart no longer voice acts so that leaves James out...and...that's it?

Why do you think this is pointless now? Most of the old cast is gone. And since PUSA doesn't want to give up Sarah, then obviously Veronica Taylor cannot return.

Bluelatios*

Wow, there is quite a discussion here, guess I'd better join the party! I prefer Veronica because she is the original and rightful voice of Ash. I am hoping that TPCi will eventually say something on this matter, what they think about Veronica after all these years. No it wasn't money that was the change (cmon' Pokemon was and still is rolling in Billions!), but they certainly aren't open to discussion for some reason.
We know exactly the cause- if you remember, Lisa, about two years ago we spoke with a prolific voice actor (whose name I don't think would be proper to reveal) who confirmed that the 4Kids cast's contracts contained a two year non-compete clause (I think that's the term) which would prevent them from immediately working on Pokemon for that amount of time.
Well, now that those two years are over, there should be nothing stopping anyone from returning. http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wi...d_new_television_season_set_to_launch_in_2011 Is it just me, or is Pokemon extremely enthusiastic about the 5th generation? Honestly, anything could happen, I've got my fingers crossed for BW!

Rex Kamex

For anyone who prefers that Veronica Taylor come back for Ash, what would your reaction be if Ash sounded the way he did in early Kanto or mid-Kanto, (which were both different from how he sounded by the end of Season 8)?

And no, I don't see her doing that even if she were to voice Ash again. I'm just providing a scenario...

Wow, there is quite a discussion here, guess I'd better join the party! I prefer Veronica because she is the original and rightful voice of Ash. I am hoping that TPCi will eventually say something on this matter, what they think about Veronica after all these years. No it wasn't money that was the change (cmon' Pokemon was and still is rolling in Billions!),

Even with a lot of money they can still do things a cheaper way.

but they certainly aren't open to discussion for some reason. Well, now that those two years are over, there should be nothing stopping anyone from returning

Two years from TPCI's first season? Two years ended quite a while ago.

Is it just me, or is Pokemon extremely enthusiastic about the 5th generation?

That's because it's a new generation. And... yeah... they're changing some things with this new gen.

Honestly, anything could happen, I've got my fingers crossed for BW!

There are limits to that "anything"... in any case, don't count on Veronica Taylor voicing Ash.

Bluelatios*

True it might be cheaper, but is it really worth it in the end? I mean, couldn't you just ask the VAs if they were willing to do it for a bit lower wage? They didn't even discuss the reason why they didn'r re-hire them, they just up and dropped em'. Conspiracy? I wouldn't put it past them. In any case, the odds may seem low, but I will never stop supporting Veronica!

SaveOurPokemon

Original Series Fan
For anyone who prefers that Veronica Taylor come back for Ash, what would your reaction be if Ash sounded the way he did in early Kanto or mid-Kanto, (which were both different from how he sounded by the end of Season 8)?

I would actually love that. In fact, that might be enough to convince me to watch on a regular basis again (And I stopped watching regularly a bit before the voice changes, though that has turned me off altogether.). As someone who grew up with OS, that voice was most distinctive to me. And I realize Veronica was going for a bit of an older/more mature Ash as the series progressed through Johto and into Hoenn, but I didn't like the change she made so much. But that's just me. I prefer when he sounded like the enthusiastic youngster, like mid-late Kanto/OI.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash's voice was too high in the late Kanto/Orange era.

Granted since Ash was very young in the series back then it was alright, but for the Ash nowadays it wouldn't be appropriate.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Slayers, I've heard a ton of the original Pokemon cast in it.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
You make some really good points there, but there is too much there for me to fully quote, so I'll talk about this part since it's the one I noticed the most, if that's ok.
Aww, thanks. :)

And yeah, I don't mind. That's fine if you only want to reply to that part. ^^

In general, the voice acting/VAs on Pokemon is my favorite subject, so I tend to talk about that stuff A LOT. xD

I said fans would complain if Sarah's voice changed from what it is now, to a different pitch if she were to do a Veronica-esque Ash voice. Anyway, of course most of the newer fans don't complain about Sarah; she's all they're used to. They don't have much to compare her with since many of them haven't watched the older 4Kids episodes, or if they did, it was only a few times. I know that it's the case here in my town where most kids don't even know who Misty is because they've never watched OS nor some of the AG episodes where she's featured.
Ah, I see. That makes sense now. ^^

The way you worded your post before didn't make any sense. But I understand what you're saying now. :)

It's funny, because the kids in my area (the ones who watch the show) seem to have seen the old episodes on Boomerang or on pokemon.com - many of these kids seem familiar with the original Ash voice.

I don't think the kids in my area would mind at all, if the old Ash voice (Veronica) returned to the show.

There's also the fact that, kids in general will always watch Pokemon no matter what, just because it's Pokemon. You have to admit, that's a good point.

I mean, it's true that some kids like the new voice better simply cause they're used to hearing Sarah's Ash, but I KNOW they'd still watch Pokemon if Veronica returns. So, when you consider this fact, I don't think kids would be bothered at all if TPCi decides to bring Veronica back for Best Wishes. ^^

My pont is, kids are easily satisfied as long as the show is still airing. :)

Haha, that's the big difference between the target audience and us older fans. There's always gonna be something for us older fans to complain about (if it's not the voices, then it's the music or the script). xD

Ah, that's a good question. ^^

Personally, I wouldn't care what pitch Veronica uses for Ash, since I like them all. Yes, I love ALL the pitches that Veronica has used in the 4Kids dub. XD

I would just be glad to hear Veronica's Ash voice on Pokemon again. ^_^

That's all that matters to me, because Pokemon was my childhood show and Veronica's Ash is my hero. Hypothetically, if Veronica returns in Best Wishes, as Ash Ketchum, then my childhood show would be back to normal, Ash would be himself again, and Veronica Taylor would have her favorite role back again. That would be amazing! I can't even begin to describe how awesome that would be! <3

(Of course, it wouldn't be exactly like the 4Kids dub considering the other VAs won't be there, but still, I'd prefer to see Veronica return, rather than having none of the original VAs back. =P)

As for Veronica's pitch if she returns, to be honest, I couldn't see Veronica using her early Kanto voice again, as it was completely different from the voice Veronica used later on, in mid-Kanto. Early Kanto (episodes 1 to 20-something) was an Ash voice which was very similar to most young-boy voices at the time. It wasn't very unique. But of course, this particular voice didn't bother me at all. I felt it was a good/average voice for the character, at the time. However, personally, I liked it a lot better when Veronica truly found the right voice for Ash (which was the mid-Kanto voice, of course). I really think the voice/pitch she used then was more fitting for Ash Ketchum than the early voice she used at the very beginning.

There are limits to that "anything"... in any case, don't count on Veronica Taylor voicing Ash.
Well, we can still have hope, if we want to. I don't see anything wrong with being optimistic and hopeful. Sometimes, looking on the bright side can be a good thing. ^^

Heck, every time a new season is about to start, I always hope that Veronica will return. But maybe that's just me, being the huge Veronica/Ash fan that I am. XD

Also, I don't think it's wrong to want to see the original VAs return to Pokemon, because they worked on the show for 8 years. As crazy, ridiculous, and unlikely as it might seem, I know it isn't impossible for at least one (or two) of the original VAs to return.

I mean, if you're a nostalgic fan who grew up watching Pokemon, I think it's only natural to want to see the original VAs return. It's like wishful thinking. You know? =)

True it might be cheaper, but is it really worth it in the end? I mean, couldn't you just ask the VAs if they were willing to do it for a bit lower wage? They didn't even discuss the reason why they didn'r re-hire them, they just up and dropped em'. Conspiracy? I wouldn't put it past them.
That's the problem right there.

The original VAs have never been asked to return. And I know for a fact that, no negotiations were made when the VA switch happened. In my opinion, it seems as if TPCi doesn't WANT the original voice actors to come back at all, because the company made no attempts to bring back the original VAs. D:

Having said that, this does seem like a conspiracy. I wonder what's going on... =O

In any case, the odds may seem low, but I will never stop supporting Veronica!
I feel the same. =)

No matter how good Sarah gets, I will always prefer Veronica. She will always be Ash Ketchum to me.

I arguably think Sarah made Ash sound a bit older. IMO, Sarah's Ash makes him sound around 13.
Funny, that's how I feel about Veronica's Ash voice in seasons 6 through 8 (the Advanced/Hoenn seasons).

To me, Veronica made Ash sound older in those seasons. I mean, he seemed older in Hoenn, than he was during Kanto and Johto. And that was because Veronica used a deeper pitch.

Even with the deep pitch though, you could still tell it was Ash speaking. So there wasn't a huge difference with the voice, in my opinion. Ash just sounded older and more mature in Hoenn. And I think that fit very well with Ash's personality in those seasons. ^^

Last edited:

Thingamajig

I think Veronica Taylor gets a little too much credit in regards to making Ash sound 'older' in Advanced Generation. While I'm a huge fan of her Hoenn work, and I'm glad she did go deeper, I think the main reason for the slight change in pitch was so it was more distinct from May's. If you watch the Battle Frontier episodes in Pallet Town, you can hear Delia's voice is also a tad higher than it was previously - again probably to avoid a clash with the May voice.

Anyway, while I still think she burned her briges back in 2006, regardless of whether Veronica Taylor comes back as Ash or gets a Lillis-esque guest role (which is all she'll get if she's willing to take it unless Sarah Natochenny decides to leave the show) I think TPCi's dub of Best Wishes has the potential to be one of the best dubbed series. Dawn, Paul and Barry all had great voices (IMO), so I don't think Iris and Dent will disappoint. Ted Lewis will have a recurring role as Giovanni, but most importanlty - Team Rocket's comic relief stint seems to be over for now, which means we might be free of Zoppi's shitty scripts full of bad puns and worse alliteration, and they'll be dubbed properly... hopefully.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
Team Rocket's comic relief stint seems to be over for now, which means we might be free of Zoppi's shitty scripts full of bad puns and worse alliteration, and they'll be dubbed properly... hopefully.

Actually, I'm kind of worried about dub TR's lines being altered to heck *despite* the change. I wouldnt put it past them...

skrcha

my rattata
I much prefer the 4Kids dub. While some of the edits were pointless and at times totally ridiculous, the result was a much more enjoyable show. Regarding TPCI, the actors aren't bad, but their performance often falls flat.

Oddly enough, I REALLY liked the TPCI dub early in D/P, but it steadily started getting worse again. I've done some pro voice acting, myself, and I know from experience that when you have a cast that sounds so consistently... monotone, it's usually the director's fault, not the actors'.

The other problem I have with TPCI is the writing. Yes, they're more accurate to the Japanese version, but sometimes the effort to retain accuracy can result in awkward speech. It sounds to me like they're trying to translate the script literally, and don't bother to go through the dub and re-work the lines a bit to give each character their own voice. :(

SmartD

Both, it doesn't matter which one's better. As long as somebody is dubbing the show, it's just fine.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
TPCI = THE POKEMON COMPANY INTERNATIONAL
PUSA = POKEMON USA

pokemon usa joined with pokemon uk a while back as a merged now they handle all marketing in all non Asian country's except for the anime in australia and new zealand which gets handled by nintendo australia!

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
I always liked 4Kids more, but mainly just because the voice actors were better. I was never bothered by the small things they changed like converting rice balls to donuts, etc.

The one huge thing that 4Kids deserves a ton of credit for is the theme for the first season. It really captured all of the feelings the show embodied and was really well composed. Some of the other seasons themes were good as well, but none came close to Season 1's theme in terms of quality.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
well when it comes to voices of pokemon tcpi completely kills 4 kids seriously tcpi is so good with voicing the pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.