• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Better Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thingamajig

Hmm, interesting point. There are a few things I find are "better" about the TPCi dub that are relatively minor when taking into account the quality of the finished product, but you'd be hard-pressed to argue how thesy could be any worse, like the fact that TPCI has episodes out 7 months faster than 4Kids probably would've, and that they don't splash around the digital paint as much. They're also really good at getting the technical stuff right, like keeping game-to-anime references intact and describing moves and abilities accurately.

Pretty much everything else is a matter of opinion though, and even then it's not really just one aspect. Such as with the VAs - 4Kids seems to have the better main cast in most people's opinions - but at least TPCi's female/boy COTD's aren't just Ortiz/Jayne/Birnbaum/Rogers over and over and over again, and hardly anyone seems to have a problem with the voices of characters introduced after the switch.

Some people may like dub music more than the Japanese - or TPCi's music over 4Kids' and vice-versa. But which of these things is better is all personal opinion, which is why we have this thread.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
but at least TPCi's female/boy COTD's aren't just Ortiz/Jayne/Birnbaum/Rogers over and over and over again
Haha. XD That never bothered me, how 4Kids repeated the COTD voice actors. I always thought the VAs for COTDs did a great job. ^^

Then again, I actually like Lisa Ortiz' work on Pokemon. =)

So, I guess that makes me weird, huh? XD

and hardly anyone seems to have a problem with the voices of characters introduced after the switch.
Yeah, that's true. And for me, that's one thing TPCi did right. ^^

Last edited:

Thingamajig

Then again, I actually like Lisa Ortiz' work on Pokemon. =)

Oh, me too. I know there are a lot of people that don't like her - but I think she has a great character voice. Of course, she only has one (okay, one - and the slightly higher variation of that one) which is why I wasn't a fan of how often 4Kids would use her. I think with the large back catalogue of supporting cast TPCi has now, she's utilised perfectly playing the occasional recurring character (Mars), and a COTD every 30 episodes or so instead of every 3.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
4 kids pokemon dub = cheap and full of paint edits

tcpi dub = more effort and less paint edits

the reason why EVERYONE HATES 4KIDS is because all they think about is the $$$ not the product so they try and cheapen everything up THANK GOD THERE BANKRUPT
they deserve it the old pokemon dub was raking in millions but yet they still had limited voice actors and they only made a few home made background music

and lets not forget there paint edit spamm ohh dear god!!

TCPI - they started off dodgy but to there credit so did 4 kids and tcpi were doing a better job in there first season then 4 kids did POKEMON ACTUALLY SAID THERE NAMES!! nintendo gave 4 kids alot of money but yet except for a few minor except and the japanease voices of pokemon NONE OF THE POKEMON HAD VOICES untill around ep 30

and as tcpi progressed every season there VA's were producing alot better dubs but were still up to sub par untill the 13th season when sarah gave ash more of a deeper voice unlike the later part of GB which made ash sound better in my opinion but this should change in the 14th season

NOW WHICH 1 IS BETTER

the company who is known to be cheap and screwed pokemon with there lack of VA's and dodgey pokemon voice acting but there va's were good tbh

or a company who started of alot better then 4 kids but has not progressed as much as 4 kids did in the time period of 5 years?

i choose tcpi i would rather see a company that puts more effort into pokemon then a company who spamms paint edits and VA's in our face

and in the exception of eric stuart tcpi voice actors are better

cmon.. veronica may doesnt have to sound like ash you idiot...

SaveOurPokemon

Original Series Fan
I'm sorry, but how in any way was the 4Kids dub "cheap"? They actually made quite a lot of original BGM, and in fact actually lessened the amount they used as the first season progressed. Only in late Johto did their BGM rapidly increase in use. Also keep in mind the original scores they did entirely for the first three movies, and the several soundtracks of entirely original songs often sung by the cast, something TPCI has yet to do (though admittedly, there's less of a demand for something of that sort nowadays). Also, if anything, it costs more money to make a paint edit than to not. I'm not saying I liked all the paint edits (the sandwich in AG was rather idiotic), but I see no problem with them in cases of posters, writing "Pewter Gym" on the wall of Pewter Gym over its Japanese name, etc. They also created their own Who's That Pokemon and Trainer's Choice segments from scratch. Perhaps 4Kids' VA pool was limited in comparison to TPCI's. However, those 20 or so VAs which appeared every few episodes are pretty top of the line, experienced actors and contributed to a quality dub. Disregarding the voices at all, I don't feel TPCI's dub started off that well. The writing was average and most of the music was just archived 4Kids work. You can debate to death how you feel about how certain voice actors do their job, but I don't understand at all how you can call 4Kids' dub cheap. You also say they improved over the seasons, which should be obvious, considering how when Pokemon began 4Kids had not been around too long, by season eight it was handling dubs of several anime series. Regardless, in terms of music, writing, and voice acting, I still would not at all refer to the 4Kids dub of Pokemon as cheap.

Pokeyug91

Ash Freak!
I prefer 4kids any day in almost every aspect, especially the writing, openings and voice acting. It is very hard for me to watch the TPCI dub because it can seem like a different show due to the voice acting and lack of flow and heart into the writing.

The 4kids dub always felt to me like it had a whole lot more heart put into it, while TPCI, not so much in my opinion.

iraqmaster

Sadly to say, the only thing I like about TCPI is the fact that they are able to get episodes out at a faster pace than 4kids ever did.

But as far as Voice acting, dialogue, background music, and overall flow, 4kids takes the cake..

iraqmaster

Sadly to say, the only thing I like about TCPI is the fact that they are able to get episodes out at a faster pace than 4kids ever did.

But as far as Voice acting, dialogue, background music, and overall flow, 4kids takes the cake..

Rex Kamex

and hardly anyone seems to have a problem with the voices of characters introduced after the switch.

That's, to a great extent, because those characters don't have 4Kids voices to compare the TPCI voices to.

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Well, we can still have hope, if we want to. I don't see anything wrong with being optimistic and hopeful. Sometimes, looking on the bright side can be a good thing. ^^

Heck, every time a new season is about to start, I always hope that Veronica will return. But maybe that's just me, being the huge Veronica/Ash fan that I am. XD

Also, I don't think it's wrong to want to see the original VAs return to Pokemon, because they worked on the show for 8 years.

I'm not saying it's wrong to want them to come back. Just don't let that desire get so large that you're really crushed when another season passes by and the TPCI voices are still around. Especially with no announcement saying any of them will come back.

Elxar

I think 4kids were better overall, if not then topics like this should have never existed 4 years after TPCi had taken over the Dub.

Thingamajig

That's, to a great extent, because those characters don't have 4Kids voices to compare the TPCI voices to.

Exactly. Without the comparison to voices fans had been familiar with for 8 years there isn't as much to complain about. While there were some legitimate issues with the TPCi cast when they were new - particularly with Sarah Natochenny focusing on imitation instead of giving us a decently acted voice - most of the cast do a good job today... even if it doesn't seem that way with the clunky dialogue the scriptwriters give them. I honestly don't think Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart could've handled the atrocious rhyming and alliteration that we get from Team Rocket that much better than Knotz and Zoppi (well, then again, maybe if Zoppi was out of the picture completely there'd be no shitty dialogue to begin with)

Sure, I still prefer the 4Kids dub - but I think the TPCi VAs are too harshly judged, and that it's the people behind them responsible for the inferior aspects of the TPCi dub.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Eric Stuart retired from voice acting and Maddie passed away. The only old school person that has yet to voice in pokemon since the switch is Veronica. Rachel and Lisa both had roles. So did Dan Green. Rumor is Kirbopher is doing either Shooti or Dent. I kinda hope Veronica could do Iris if not Ash.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
That's true. I wonder the deal is with TPCi not allowing Veronica to return. That's very strange...

Just don't let that desire get so large that you're really crushed when another season passes by and the TPCI voices are still around. Especially with no announcement saying any of them will come back.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

But see, here's the thing. I don't hate Sarah's acting anymore, like I did during Battle Frontier. And I think Sarah does a fine job giving us her own version of the character. But, at the same time, I certainly don't prefer her as Ash (Veronica Taylor will always be Ash to me). So, does that mean I'm neutral? =P

Anyway, here's my problem. Since I've had a difficult time trying to enjoy the D/P seasons overall, I've been thinking about not watching Best Wishes. I mean, there wouldn't be any point in me watching Best Wishes, if I'm not going to enjoy it. Right? Also, the new series would just feel weird to me if Veronica isn't Ash.

No offense to Sarah or her fans, of course. I think Sarah's a fine VA and her acting has really improved in D/P, especially in the Sinnoh League episodes. But...I really miss Veronica's portrayal of Ash. To me, he just isn't the same without Veronica. =(

Right now, I'm on the borderline. I'm trying to decide if I wanna watch Best Wishes or not. And basically, what happens with the voices will determine whether or not I watch the new series.

Of course, it's not like I'm expecting TPCi to suddenly bring Veronica Taylor back, lol. But if a miracle happens and they DO bring her back, it would be a pleasant surprise. =)

Especially with no announcement saying any of them will come back.
Well, usually, TPCi doesn't announce it when the original voices return. It just sorta happens, lol.

I mean, they didn't officially announce it when Rachael or Maddie returned for their minor roles.

And I think the only way they'd announce Veronica Taylor returning, is if she returns to voice a main character, like Ash or Iris. Either character would be great. Veronica voicing a new character like Iris would be awesome! And/or if they actually let her voice Ash again, omg, that would be EPIC! =D

Or, if they could keep it a surprise. Yeah, I could see them doing that just to hype the Best Wishes season. As if people weren't excited enough, haha. XD

I kinda hope Veronica could do Iris if not Ash.
Me too. I think Veronica would be great as Iris. =)

TPCi dubs Pokemon in NYC. They have no excuse to not use Veronica Taylor on the show.

In my opinion, they need to bury the hatchet already and just give Veronica a chance. It's been way too long since we've heard Veronica's voice in a new Pokemon episode.

And if they won't let her voice Ash, they should at least let her do something. Any role on Pokemon would be better than none.

Last edited:

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
i dont know about veronica taylor voicing iris she sounds way to similar to ash what ever she voices in advanced i couldn't really tell the difference between may and ash's voice tbh the only way veronica will get a job at tcpi will be voicing professor juniper or ash and unless sarah leaves that wont be happening any time soon

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Wow. You really couldn't tell the difference between Ash and May's voices? I can tell them apart just fine.

Ash sounds like a boy and May sounds like a girl. Those voices are nothing alike, if you ask me. o_O

And if anything, May sounds more like Delia (Ash's mom), than Ash. But that's just my opinion.

Also, you seem to hate Veronica Taylor for some reason. Just something I noticed, that's all. =P

Anyway, you really can't predict the future. TPCi dubs the show, so they could do anything they want with it. They can hire any VA they choose, and have them voice any character they want, so everything is up to them.

Last edited:

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
i dont hate her she voiced ash perfectly in every seasons except kanto and advanced battle but you have to face the fact it is very slim that she wont come back

but i understand where you are comming from why caint she come back? whats tcpi's beef with her i wouldn't know she is a great voice actor and i respect her for that

so who knows but it seems very slim that she will come back

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Ah, I see. That's good that you don't hate Veronica Taylor. :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. ^^

And yes, I'm well aware that it's unlikely TPCi will bring her back. I never said that I expect it to happen. I only said that I WANT it to happen. There's a difference, lol. XD

Unlikely doesn't mean it's impossible. But anyway, regardless of how unlikely it may seem, I hope they do bring Veronica back. Because that would make Best Wishes perfect (for me at least). Story-wise, Ash will already be going back to his old Kanto personality in Best Wishes. And if they bring back his original voice as well, that would be epic!!

I know I'm not the only Pokemon fan who would be happy to see more nostalgia in the show (nostalgia in the form of original voices, I mean). But I guess all we can do now, is wait and see what happens. =)

Last edited:

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
as much of a huge fan i am of sarah i dislike her consistency she can sound so different in each eps its unbelievable and she needs to change it especially in dp 187 she sounded like a child and in dp 188 she sounded like a cross of adavnced ash and battle frontier ash and i HATED BATTLE FRONTIER ASH she really needs to fix her consistency

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Really? You noticed the inconsistency too?

Haha, cool! It's about time someone noticed that besides me. XD

That's one thing you could always count on with Veronica's Ash. She was always consistent from one episode to the next.

But Sarah sometimes has trouble keeping her pitch the same. I wonder why. =O

Status
Not open for further replies.