• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Better Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dubbed well? You've gotta be kidding me. XD.

TR's the single best thing about the TPCi dub. Even then they aren't funny. Their voices are a lot better than the main cast, though, that's all I'll say.

Not TPCi. They make 4Kids look like gods.

Don't triple post, bro.

Honestly, they're both terrible. And @above, nothing could make 4kids look like gods....

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo
Neither. Both dubs stink.

Funny to see so much praise for 4Kids' music when they really stopped putting an effort in after Kanto, as evident by the lack of quality soundtracks released after 2.B.A. Master (hell, look at their..."soundtrack" for the first movie). Their openings also majorly dropped in quality after the first Johto opening.

Comparatively, right now the two are more or less the same, save for the lack of throwing painted edits everywhere. Both have a habit of removing the original music, using cornball dialogue that didn't exist in the original and having moments of poor choices in voice actors. The main problem is that people have latched on to the 4Kids dub and refuse to accept anything else because of how ingrained it is in their minds.

It's more or less the same with Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Kai. Kai received a better dub, yet some people refuse to accept it as it doesn't have an American-made soundtrack nor does it have some of the previous voice actors returning, despite having been majorly criticized (such as Freeza). The usual reasoning behind it is "This isn't what I grew up with." Nostalgia, if you will. The same happened with Pokemon.

Absolute garbage. I like Dragonball Z Kai better, yet I find the 4Kids Dub of Pokemon head and shoulders above the TPCi Dub. No nostalgia's involved.

Clearly you don't see that it's quality/voices/emotions over keeping JPN score/edits/misc. pointless things that have little to nothing to do with the show.

4Kids OWNS the sh***y TPCi dub. Period. End of discussion.

Last edited:
Quit hating on 4Kids. Clearly they've done a hell of a lot better job than TPCi ever has. It's insanely obvious.

I don't care about their other dubs they screwed up (hell, the only dub they actually did badly was One Piece, which was saved by FUNimation anyway).

4Kids is the winner. By a landslide.

Last edited:

Bluelatios*

I really wish that this thread would not be closed. Sadly I'm likely about to have that wish crushed as soon as a mod finds this thread :(. In the meantime I have to vote 4kids. Everything from the scripting to the voice acting was just better when they did it IMO. Unfortunately 4kids lost a valuable asset when Pokemon was taken from them, and TPC lost a valuable asset in dropping them...

I really wish that this thread would not be closed. Sadly I'm likely about to have that wish crushed as soon as a mod finds this thread :(. In the meantime I have to vote 4kids. Everything from the scripting to the voice acting was just better when they did it IMO. Unfortunately 4kids lost a valuable asset when they dropped Pokemon, and TPC lost a valuable asset in dropping them...

Agreed. I've been through three dub switches, two of which I found better (DBZ/One Piece) and one I can't stand (Pokemon). The TPCi dub of Pokemon is outright terrible. Poor voice acting, scripting, writing, emotionless feeling, etc. I can't believe anyone would even think for a minute TPCi is decent. It's beyond atrocious. I've sat through every dub episode of TPCi up till this Season, BW: Rival Destinies. Each time I cringe just as much as I did at Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. The voice acting (barring Sarah's Ash) is JUST as bad as it's ever been. 4Kids all the way for once in my life!

Last edited:
Agreed. I've been through three dub switches, two of which I found better (DBZ/One Piece) and one I can't stand (Pokemon). The TPCi dub of Pokemon is outright terrible. Poor voice acting, scripting, writing, emotionless feeling, etc. I can't believe anyone would even think for a minute TPCi is decent. It's beyond atrocious. I've sat through every dub episode of TPCi up till this Season, BW: Rival Destinies. Each time I cringe just as much as I did at Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. The voice acting (barring Sarah's Ash) is JUST as bad as it's ever been. 4Kids all the way for once in my life!

I'm sorry but I seriously have to disagree with you on this one. I do love the OS and Kanto probably will always be my favorite season because I honestly felt Kanto had the best comedic writing, best songs, best characters, most emotion. But I definitely think TPCi is doing a great job with the anime. I really think the voice actors did a really great job of voicing the characters. They did take awhile to get used to but I am really getting used to Sarah's voice on Ash. I think she is doing a really great job. Dawn's voice actress, Emily, did a great job. I really think there are some really talented voice actors in the newer Pokemon seasons that don't get enough credit. And the emotionless feeling comment? I disagree again. I thought the releases of Cacnea, Dustox and Gliscor were very well done.

I'm sorry but I seriously have to disagree with you on this one. I do love the OS and Kanto probably will always be my favorite season because I honestly felt Kanto had the best comedic writing, best songs, best characters, most emotion. But I definitely think TPCi is doing a great job with the anime. I really think the voice actors did a really great job of voicing the characters. They did take awhile to get used to but I am really getting used to Sarah's voice on Ash. I think she is doing a really great job. Dawn's voice actress, Emily, did a great job. I really think there are some really talented voice actors in the newer Pokemon seasons that don't get enough credit. And the emotionless feeling comment? I disagree again. I thought the releases of Cacnea, Dustox and Gliscor were very well done.

Obviously I'm referring to the replacement voices. Michele Knotz's Jessie is very shrill and she can't emote. TPCi is doing a terrible job to this day IMO overall, but I respect your opinion. Jimmy Zoppi's release of Cacnea was simply terrible: I can fandub better than him.

Emily Bauer, Jason Griffith, Craig Blair, and Emlyn Morinelli are the only TPCi actors who actually DO their job and ACT!

4Kids wins.

Also, I can probably fandub better than the entire TPCi cast. That's a bad dub if I've ever seen one.

Last edited:
This (however I'd phrase it in less blunt words ^^; )

Oh gosh. Not even this (well for me). I have super nitpicky ears. Dx

FUNi would definitely do a better job than TPCi. I pray to god Viz, Ocean, or FUNi gets the license to dub this show.

4Kids was the best at dubbing it though. Even if their One Piece Dub sucked balls.

Last edited:
talk about reviving a dead thread, but tcpi is better then 4 kids by a country mile

Just ROFL. Whatever, keep thinking what you want.

Sarah Natochenny is a TERRIBLE Ash until BW (where she just imitates Veronica Taylor poorly). And she always adopts this mentally challenged matter-of-speaking thing. Like o'course or winnin' or trainin' or just plain stupidity.

Michele Knotz is a GODAWFUL May. She sounds like a street hooker in the TPCi dub. That's the nicest way to describe her.

Bill Rogers is the WORST voice in any English Dub of Pokemon anywhere. He's a teenager for hell's sake! Not a 60 year old burly trucker!

Last edited:

Also, I said BARRING Sarah's Ash the voices are just as bad as they were in Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. Seriously, I just watched it again. Nothing's changed excluding Sarah's Ash. 4Kids' actually had great writing for this show, an exceptional voice cast, etc.

I actually think Marc Thompson is probably the best voice in the English Dub. The guy doesn't get enough credit.

Marc's decent in his own right. That I'm not denying. But his Tepig, Krokorok, and Unova Pokedex voices sound very forced (his Krokorok in "Battling the Bully!" grated on my ears...my little brother asked me if it was mentally challenged). He sounds A LOT better in the 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh dub IMO. He shines as Duke Devlin and Astral in Zexal.

Eric Stuart is my favorite overall. Such range, delivery, and a hilarious James. And not to mention a Brock that actually sounds like the Japanese seiyu Yuji Ueda (something Bill Rogers has never even come close to doing-- he sounds like a 60 year old burly trucker now IMO).

Tom Wayland is a terrible voice director. He even made Stan Hart sound BAD in one of the most recent dub episodes. I'm sure Marc would be much better with 4Kids/FUNi/Viz/Ocean/AB Groupe/even that speedy dub of DBZ in Malaysia).

Last edited:

I am Lu

As much as it chagrins me to side with 4Kids, I'm going to side with 4Kids. I liked the voice acting a lot better in the OS and Team Rocket was funny. TPCi is doing an all right job, but I miss Veronica Taylor. I don't like Sarah Natochenny nearly as much.

As much as it chagrins me to side with 4Kids, I'm going to side with 4Kids. I liked the voice acting a lot better in the OS and Team Rocket was funny. TPCi is doing an all right job, but I miss Veronica Taylor. I don't like Sarah Natochenny nearly as much.

It's the exact same case for me. I can't stand 4Kids One Piece Dub, but even that's tolerable to me compared to the current Pokemon dub. At least the 4Kids One Piece dub is more a parody than anything else. This is so bad it's NOT funny.

TPCi Dub:

In BF, it was garbage.
In DP, it was beyond terrible garbage.
In BW, it's reached the tolerable but not good level.

4Kids Dub:

In Indigo League/Kanto, somewhat stiff but very good.
In Orange Islands, very natural feel and very good dub.
Johto-Early Battle Frontier (4Kids Dub) = Superb, excellent, beyond amazing. Hard to believe 4Kids dubs it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.