• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Better Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marc's decent in his own right. That I'm not denying. But his Tepig, Krokorok, and Unova Pokedex voices sound very forced (his Krokorok in "Battling the Bully!" grated on my ears...my little brother asked me if it was mentally challenged). He sounds A LOT better in the 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh dub IMO. He shines as Duke Devlin and Astral in Zexal.

Eric Stuart is my favorite overall. Such range, delivery, and a hilarious James. And not to mention a Brock that actually sounds like the Japanese seiyu Yuji Ueda (something Bill Rogers has never even come close to doing-- he sounds like a 60 year old burly trucker now IMO).

Tom Wayland is a terrible voice director. He made Stan Hart sound BAD in one of the most recent dub episodes. I'm sure Marc would be much better with 4Kids/FUNi/Viz/Ocean/AB Groupe/even that speedy dub of DBZ in Malaysia).

I actually should have worded it differently though. I think Marc is one of the dub's better voice actors. I don't think he is the best and yeah, Eric Stuart is a brilliant voice actor like you said. I actually think Marc's Unova Pokedex is good though. But he did a BRILLIANT job as Commander Saturn and Dr.Zager in my opinion. He also actually voices Casey Jones very well in TMNT 2003.

I actually should have worded it differently though. I think Marc is one of the dub's better voice actors. I don't think he is the best and yeah, Eric Stuart is a brilliant voice actor like you said. I actually think Marc's Unova Pokedex is good though. But he did a BRILLIANT job as Commander Saturn and Dr.Zager in my opinion. He also actually voices Casey Jones very well in TMNT 2003.

Thanks for being so respectful! I appreciate it greatly. I wish I could have discussions like this with every Pokemon fan. What I'm getting at is, overall, the TPCi cast wasn't even tolerable until BW. Now, it's just decent, but there's no real spark to it like when 4Kids dubbed the series from Kanto-Early Battle Frontier. I grow tired of hearing idiotic complains from other fans about edits concerning rice balls, sandwiches, etc, when those have NOTHING, ZERO, ZILCH to do with the show. That's LITERALLY the only argument TPCi fans have excluding Japanese BGM (which TPCi did replacement 75% of the time like 4Kids until BW, but the BW Japanese Score is *and I hate to say this* inferior to the 4Kids replacement score used in prior seasons).

Marc Thompson's a great voice actor, especially in this dub. But I already knew he was amazing in this dub lol. I wish TPCi would hire people like him to do main characters like Ash, Brock, etc. instead of these pathetic wannabee actors placed there (Sarah Natochenny, Bill Rogers, etc.).

That's my reasoning why the 4Kids Dub is vastly superior to the TPCi Dub. The MAIN voices for all the characters SUCK in the TPCi Dub excluding Sarah's current poor imitation of VT, Emily's Dawn, and Jason's Cilan (Eileen Stevens' Iris grates on my ears like no other...at least Aoi Yuki doesn't sound like a mean, stuck up girl 100% of the time). I never had a problem with the replacements for minor characters/COTD's in TPCi.

Last edited:
Thanks for being so respectful! I appreciate it greatly. I wish I could have discussions like this with every Pokemon fan. What I'm getting at is, overall, the TPCi cast wasn't even tolerable until BW. Now, it's just decent, but there's no real spark to it like when 4Kids dubbed the series from Kanto-Early Battle Frontier. I grow tired of hearing idiotic complains from other fans about edits concerning rice balls, sandwiches, etc, when those have NOTHING, ZERO, ZILCH to do with the show. That's LITERALLY the only argument TPCi fans have excluding Japanese BGM (which TPCi did replacement 75% of the time like 4Kids until BW, but the BW Japanese Score is *and I hate to say this* inferior to the 4Kids replacement score used in prior seasons).

Marc Thompson's a great voice actor, especially in this dub. But I already knew he was amazing in this dub lol. I wish TPCi would hire people like him to do main characters like Ash, Brock, etc. instead of these pathetic wannabee actors placed there (Sarah Natochenny, Bill Rogers, etc.).

That's my reasoning why the 4Kids Dub is vastly superior to the TPCi Dub. The MAIN voices for all the characters SUCK in the TPCi Dub excluding Sarah's current poor imitation of VT, Emily's Dawn, and Jason's Cilan (Eileen Stevens' Iris grates on my ears like no other...at least Aoi Yuki doesn't sound like a mean, stuck up girl 100% of the time). I never had a problem with the replacements for minor characters/COTD's in TPCi.

Which is why I really don't understand all the Dr.Zager hate. His voice in both the dub and the original is amazing.

Which is why I really don't understand all the Dr.Zager hate. His voice in both the dub and the original is amazing.

Yeah, people should be thankful we didn't get another original creation by James Cathcart aka Dr. Namba/TPCi Professor Oak Zager! Seriously!

At any rate, I don't enjoy the dub at all compared to when 4Kids had it because they had consistent true emotion and feelings for all their MAIN characters.

The only voices I get that from in the current dub are Sarah's Ash in BW ONLY, Jason's Cilan, and Emily's Dawn. The rest are simply terrible IMO.

That's why I feel 4Kids is the superior dub OVERALL.

Last edited:
Yeah, people should be thankful we didn't get another original Dr. Namba/TPCi Professor Oak Zager! Seriously!

At any rate, I don't enjoy the dub at all compared to when 4Kids had it because they had consistent true emotion and feelings for all their MAIN characters.

That's why I feel 4Kids is the superior dub OVERALL.

I'm guessing you think the original is better than both 4Kids and TCPi right?

Indeed.

My order is:

JPN > 4Kids > TPCi

It's a matter of opinion, though, like you said. I just do not LIKE TPCi's dub at all.

It's making strides and has become tolerable, but it's not good yet.

And it's certainly not excellent like 4Kids was IMO.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Yeah, people should be thankful we didn't get another original Dr. Namba/TPCi Professor Oak Zager! Seriously!

Omg...Prof. Oak sounds like a ROBOT. I makes me sad to see Prof. Oak, who once had a kind, enthusiastic voice now have a shallow, stiff voice. It's really the way how they portray the characters that gets me the most. While 4kids might have been bad with some translations/paint edits and even some of the voices (Gary's and Drew's bothered me) the rest seemed great. Of course that could be my nostalgia talking. I'm not sure how much was 4kid's doing, or the voice actors themselves. :/ It makes me sad, in a video I saw Veronica got tears in her eyes from remembering her role as Ash...:<

Indeed.

My order is:

JPN > 4Kids > TPCi

It's a matter of opinion, though, like you said. I just do not LIKE TPCi's dub at all.

I kind of agree with this. :] I can sit and nitpick every dub, but I can also compare dubs...and it is a matter of opinion. Some people are just fine with the voices now...heck some even think they are better..but that doesn't make them wrong/right. In the end it's all an opinion. Though, I would sit there and tell people how the original pwns both dubs. xD Unfortunately my friend hates the original... Dx so I watched the TPCi dub with him and my ears melted. XD

Last edited:
Omg...Prof. Oak sounds like a ROBOT. I makes me sad to see Prof. Oak, who once had a kind, enthusiastic voice now have a shallow, stiff voice. It's really the way how they portray the characters that gets me the most. While 4kids might have been bad with some translations/paint edits and even some of the voices (Gary's and Drew's bothered me) the rest seemed great. Of course that could be my nostalgia talking. I'm not sure how much was 4kid's doing, or the voice actors themselves. :/ It makes me sad, in a video I saw Veronica got tears in her eyes from remembering her role as Ash...:<

Oak sounds more like a mad scientist (bleggh!) than anything else now lol. But he definitely does have a shallow, stiff voice now. TPCi tends to stereotype with characters (May and Max's awful PUSA/TPCi voices anyone)?

Max = Nasally Nerd in TPCi
May = Prostitute/Hooker in TPCi

Believe me, if TPCi were to hire a decent main cast for the main members like Ash and Company, I'd probably say they were better than 4Kids was. As it stands now (even at their seventh season), they're just a pathetic, wannabee impression of the far superior 4Kids cast.

That's why I find 4Kids a better dub anyday. Backstabbing the original cast after 400+ episodes, 8 movies, and the whole Pokemon Sunday specials that were dubbed doesn't exactly make me like them either. :p

Fun fact: Gary Oak's VA voices James and Meowth (both terribly I might add) in the TPCi dub of Pokemon.

Yeah, Gary and Drew were the most jarring in 4Kids. But that's NOTHING compared to PUSA/TPCi's dub. rofl.

But I really have to say that Giovanni's dub voice is absolutely AMAZING. I really think it is THAT good.

No doubt. Ted Lewis has always been great as Giovanni. Though Craig Blair was my favorite replacement among the new dub as he was almost spot-on in replacing Ted as Giovanni.
I only wish Emlyn Morinelli, Emily Bauer, Craig Blair, etc. were the main cast members. Now those are voice actors with talent.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
May = Prostitute/Hooker in TPCi

I laughed. XDD But I wouldn't say it like that...to me, she always sounded nervous. Like her voice shook a bit...:/

Fun fact: Gary Oak's VA voices James and Meowth (both terribly I might add) in the TPCi dub of Pokemon.

Yup I know that. Meowth...I find his alright.

Yeah, Gary and Drew were the most jarring in 4Kids. But that's NOTHING compared to PUSA/TPCi's dub. rofl.

True, very true. XDD When I was younger Drew's voice didn't bother me (because I liked his character quite a bit). xD; Now it does though when I watch older episodes.

... This might be a little off topic, but is it just me or do dub/s negate people breathing? I can hear in the raw some voice actors take gasps even. :/

I laughed. XDD But I wouldn't say it like that...to me, she always sounded nervous. Like her voice shook a bit...:/

Yup I know that. Meowth...I find his alright.

True, very true. XDD When I was younger Drew's voice didn't bother me (because I liked his character quite a bit). xD; Now it does though when I watch older episodes.

... This might be a little off topic, but is it just me or do dub/s negate people breathing? I can hear in the raw some voice actors take gasps even. :/

1) Sorry that was a bit rude but that's all I got from Michele Knotz there IMO lol.

2) His Meowth still grates on my ears though. XD. I found Blaustein to be closest to Inuyama. Zoppi is the furthest IMO. He sounds so deep and gristly now. Where's the lovable Meowth, Jimmy Zoppi? Where?

3) I agree, but Chris Sabat and the FUNi cast definitely kept that in FUNimation's DBZ Dub lol.

My most jarring voices in the TPCi dub have to be (at present) Bill Rogers' Brock (particularly in Diamond and Pearl), Michele's May as well as Misty, and Kayzie's Max. Sarah was also pretty obnoxious until Black and White, but she seems to have found her ground. Granted, it's her imitating Taylor like she did in Battle Frontier, but at least she's better than she was in DP (*shudders*).

Last edited:

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Just ROFL. Whatever, keep thinking what you want.

Sarah Natochenny is a TERRIBLE Ash until BW (where she just imitates Veronica Taylor poorly). And she always adopts this mentally challenged matter-of-speaking thing. Like o'course or winnin' or trainin' or just plain stupidity.

Michele Knotz is a GODAWFUL May. She sounds like a street hooker in the TPCi dub. That's the nicest way to describe her.

Bill Rogers is the WORST voice in any English Dub of Pokemon anywhere. He's a teenager for hell's sake! Not a 60 year old burly trucker!

No she isn't she does a better ash then veronica taylor ever could, and plus you're describing characters that are not in the anime anymore, cilan's va is perfect, iris's va is perfect and so is ash, and jimmy's version of james was amazing because he wanted to do his own rendition, see 4 kids made james seem like a villian whose an idiot, but jimmy made james sound so cute and innocent which he really is.

Plus tcpi does everything 4 kids but better, they know there market, see 4 kids gave a rock song for every opening while tcpi actually appeals to it's demographic by using music children would relate to.

No she isn't she does a better ash then veronica taylor ever could, and plus you're describing characters that are not in the anime anymore, cilan's va is perfect, iris's va is perfect and so is ash, and jimmy's version of james was amazing because he wanted to do his own rendition, see 4 kids made james seem like a villian whose an idiot, but jimmy made james sound so cute and innocent which he really is.

Plus tcpi does everything 4 kids but better, they know there market, see 4 kids gave a rock song for every opening while tcpi actually appeals to it's demographic by using music children would relate to.

NO: Veronica Taylor did a better Ash than Sarah could ever dream of doing. Want to know why? Because Sarah's current Ash is a ripoff of Veronica Taylor's superior Ash! Veronica sounds like a 10 year old boy, which is what Ash is. Sarah sounds like a 20 year old Ash with constipation and emotional trauma/an emo guy who wants to cut himself-esque problems, and as of BW001 Ash IS still 10 years old.

Therefore, Veronica IS and always will be the superior Ash Ketchum/Satoshi. Her performance IS very similar to Rica Matsumoto. Natochenny is not.

Cilan's voice actor, Jason Griffith, is decent. But he's nothing special. Remember, he voiced Usopp in the 4Kids dub of One Piece. XD.

Mamoru Miyano AKA Light Yagami of Death Note is FAR superior.

Iris' voice actor is very shrill and sounds obnoxious in the role. Eileen Stevens doesn't sound like Aoi Yuki, for the most part.

Jimmy's voice is freaking terrible. All it is is a pathetic, pathetic imitation of Eric Stuart's. It honestly sounds like Eric Stuart's with a headcold and with Eric's holding his nose 24/7. It SUCKS.

Cute and innocent? Are YOU KIDDING? He sounds stuck up and idiotic everytime he speaks. Eric made him sound intelligent when he needed to be, but hilarious as well. Jimmy's just trying to be Eric, when he can't. He's failing miserably at the role.

They know *their* market. Fix your grammar and sentence structure, if possible.

I will agree that the target demographic is children, because the maturity in TPCi's scripts and music simply ISN'T up to par with 4Kids own dub of the series.

4Kids knew how to appeal to a wide range of individuals, whether devout Japanophiles or dubbies or adults or kids. They made many people fall in love with the series in the first place. TPCi, however, alienated a majority of the previous fans and has only added some little kids to take their place.

4Kids had the superior voice cast, BGM, emotion levels, heart, never came across as extremely fake or grating on the ears, knew when to put what where, and always tried to ultimately make episodes anyone could enjoy.

Sorry if this comes across as rude, but 4Kids clearly stomps anything TPCi has done and probably will unless another dubbing company like FUNimation or Ocean picks up the franchise and hires an ENTIRELY different MAIN cast for the main characters' voices.

Also, 4Kids had FAR superior openings. The atrocity of an opening that is Season 10 (Diamond and Pearl) is absolute garbage. TPCi doesn't even try with their intros. They all sound like new age rap or cutesy-goofy delusional crap.

Last edited:

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
NO: Veronica Taylor did a better Ash than Sarah could ever dream of doing. Want to know why? Because Sarah's current Ash is a ripoff of Veronica Taylor's superior Ash! Veronica sounds like a 10 year old boy, which is what Ash is. Sarah sounds like a 20 year old Ash with constipation and emotional trauma/an emo guy who wants to cut himself-esque problems, and as of BW001 Ash IS still 10 years old.

Therefore, Veronica IS and always will be the superior Ash Ketchum/Satoshi. Her performance IS very similar to Rica Matsumoto. Natochenny is not.

Cilan's voice actor, Jason Griffith, is decent. But he's nothing special. Remember, he voiced Usopp in the 4Kids dub of One Piece. XD.

Mamoru Miyano AKA Light Yagami of Death Note is FAR superior.

Iris' voice actor is very shrill and sounds obnoxious in the role. Eileen Stevens doesn't sound like Aoi Yuki, for the most part.

Jimmy's voice is freaking terrible. All it is is a pathetic, pathetic imitation of Eric Stuart's. It honestly sounds like Eric Stuart's with a headcold and with Eric's holding his nose 24/7. It SUCKS.

Cute and innocent? Are YOU KIDDING? He sounds stuck up and idiotic everytime he speaks. Eric made him sound intelligent when he needed to be, but hilarious as well. Jimmy's just trying to be Eric, when he can't. He's failing miserably at the role.

They know *their* market. Fix your grammar and sentence structure, if possible.

I will agree that the target demographic is children, because the maturity in TPCi's scripts and music simply ISN'T up to par with 4Kids own dub of the series.

4Kids knew how to appeal to a wide range of individuals, whether devout Japanophiles or dubbies or adults or kids. They made many people fall in love with the series in the first place. TPCi, however, alienated a majority of the previous fans and has only added some little kids to take their place.

4Kids had the superior voice cast, BGM, emotion levels, heart, never came across as extremely fake or grating on the ears, knew when to put what where, and always tried to ultimately make episodes anyone could enjoy.

Sorry if this comes across as rude, but 4Kids clearly stomps anything TPCi has done and probably will unless another dubbing company like FUNimation or Ocean picks up the franchise and hires an ENTIRELY different MAIN cast for the main characters' voices.

Also, 4Kids had FAR superior openings. The atrocity of an opening that is Season 10 (Diamond and Pearl) is absolute garbage. TPCi doesn't even try with their intros. They all sound like new age rap or cutesy-goofy delusional crap.

Wow, i guess i cant have an opinion then, i mean i enjoy tcpi's dub more and you act like it's a crime, i loved 4 kids dub but they recyled 5 people and didn't add any variety while tcpi uses more people to dub the anime and you can tell every character is different, plus battle frontier ash might have sounded like a 17 year old but ash in black and white easily sounds like an 11 year old, she has improved so much and i applaud her for that, see you spend so much time trashing tpci that you fail to realise that they have improved soo much it's unbelievable, and btw veronica taylor was terrible untill mid johto, ash's earlier voice in the original series was a majoy pain.

Wow, i guess i cant have an opinion then, i mean i enjoy tcpi's dub more and you act like it's a crime, i loved 4 kids dub but they recyled 5 people and didn't add any variety while tcpi uses more people to dub the anime and you can tell every character is different, plus battle frontier ash might have sounded like a 17 year old but ash in black and white easily sounds like an 11 year old, she has improved so much and i applaud her for that, see you spend so much time trashing tpci that you fail to realise that they have improved soo much it's unbelievable, and btw veronica taylor was terrible untill mid johto, ash's earlier voice in the original series was a majoy pain.

TPCi uses pretty much the same main cast for everything, with some awkward one-time voice every episode that comes across as weird and forced for that respective actor. I'm not saying you're wrong for liking the TPCi dub, but all I'm saying is that I DON'T like it. But you should know that Sarah is imitating Veronica Taylor's Ash at present, so PLEASE don't blame Veronica, because Sarah would've never come up with her current voice if it weren't for VT. I prefer the 4Kids dub, and like I said, it's just my opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong for liking what you do, but I'm just trying to give my own insight into the dub as a whole. What I'm saying is that they're just tolerable for me, but I definitely find it far below 4Kids standards. Again, you're NOT wrong for liking what you do, but I have my own opinions on the matter.

Last edited:

I am Lu

Something else I appreciate about 4Kids and Pokemom: The music. I know some of you might think I'm committing a felony by saying this, but I loved the original Pokemon theme song and the Pokerap. Also, 4Kids always released these albums with the voice actors singing, and they were so terrible and awkward that they were hilarious. In particular, I'm thinking about that Pokemon Christmas Bash Album, which had trainwreck tracks like "Under the Mistletoe" with Veronica Taylor and Rachael Lillis and "I'm Giving Santa a Pikachu for Christmas" with Stan Hart.

Also, "Two Perfect Girls" and Eric Stuart.

I'm rolling with laughter just thinking about it.

Something else I appreciate about 4Kids and Pokemom: The music. I know some of you might think I'm committing a felony by saying this, but I loved the original Pokemon theme song and the Pokerap. Also, 4Kids always released these albums with the voice actors singing, and they were so terrible and awkward that they were hilarious. In particular, I'm thinking about that Pokemon Christmas Bash Album, which had trainwreck tracks like "Under the Mistletoe" with Veronica Taylor and Rachael Lillis and "I'm Giving Santa a Pikachu for Christmas" with Stan Hart.

Also, "Two Perfect Girls" and Eric Stuart.

I'm rolling with laughter just thinking about it.

Definitely! 4Kids was EPIC in the music department. Who cares if it's not necessary? By making songs like this, they showed IMO they really cared about the fans and wanted to make stuff that would particularly appeal to the fans as a whole. That shows they cared about the franchise and did their best to give us something we'd lol at but enjoy as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.