• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The biggest mistake you made in Gen 3?

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
What was the most embarrassing mistake you made or the worst moment for you in the Generation 3 games?

For me it was fleeing from a shiny Girafarig at the Safari Zone in Emerald. I wasn't paying attention and escaped the battle and only noticed that there was a shiny at the last second.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The only mistake that I can think of right now is when I missed out on getting the Master Ball at the Aqua-dan (Team Aqua) Hideout in Sapphire version, but even that feels like less of a mistake on my part and more of a problem with how the item is obtained in that game since it's hidden among a group of Marumine (Electrode), and the hideout seals itself shut after a certain point in the game. So if you don't pick up the Master Ball when you have the chance, you're out of luck unless you win the lottery.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
My biggest mistake was not trading for some of the ingame Pokemon available for trade in FireRed/LeafGreen. I should've gotten the Nidoran that is offered for trade because it would have gained EXP faster than raising my own Nidoran.

jaden767

Amphetamine
I failed to collect the Master ball in both Ruby and Sapphire because I didn't know where it was. I also fell for the Deoxys in space rumors that I read online at one point. :(

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
I failed to collect the Master ball in both Ruby and Sapphire because I didn't know where it was. I also fell for the Deoxys in space rumors that I read online at one point. :(

I remember those rumors, as well as the rumor that you could unlock the door at the house on Island Seven in LG/FR and find a Legendary Pokemon inside. I actually spent days trying all kinds of convoluted methods to open that door, none of which worked of course. It's embarrassing to admit how naive I was.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I regret not taking advantage of the Sevii Islands. Seems like a decent amount of post game content and playing Let’s Go, which had little besides Master Trainers, made me appreciate them much more

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Oh, I made plenty as a kid

-missing the master ball
-not being able to catch Kyogre
-teaching solarbeam to a Beautifly
-never evolving my Lombre into Ludicolo
-thinking the reason my Skitty wasn't considered "cute" in the contests was because it wasn't fully evolved

Leonhart

Imagineer
Cometstarlight said:
-teaching solarbeam to a Beautifly

I didn't make that exact mistake myself, but there were several instances where I taught TMs to Pokemon that I didn't even use on my teams. I regretted it later on since I wasn't able to get all the TMs that I really needed via trade back in the Gen III era.

jaden767

Amphetamine
Funny story but I got so lost inside the Team Rocket headquarters in FireRed. The spinning tiles confused me and I was stuck there for close to 30 minutes when I first played the game. :[

That happened to me too also at the last gym when I had to face Giovanni. I couldn't figure out how it reach him which was stupid of me.

I also didn't realize that were special hidden items like the Leftovers where you battled Snorlax. I didn't find it until a couple years ago.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
I also didn't realize that were special hidden items like the Leftovers where you battled Snorlax. I didn't find it until a couple years ago.

From what I remember that item can't be located by the Itemfinder unless you stand right on top of the exact spot where Kabigon (Snorlax) slept, which I think is a huge flaw in the programming. So I don't blame anyone who didn't find that item. On a related note, I didn't know that Sylph Company [Silph Co.] had tons of hidden items inside certain potted plants in LG/FR until about ten years after I finished the game. I didn't need them at that point, but I regret not picking them up sooner so that I could've sold the items for extra cash during the main storyline of the games.

NeganTheSavior

Believing that old rumor where reaching a certain number of rockets launched at the space center in Mossdeep City would allow you to travel to the moon or something like that. It was based on the number of weeks passed in real time after starting the game. I believe the number was 56. I reached that point and nothing happened.

What can I say? This was before the days of YouTube and I was a stupid kid who was desperate to catch Deoxys without having to go to some event

I also thought adding Nincada to my party would make Mirage Island appear based on its Pokedex entry. I never made the island appear and from I've seen, I'm not sure it's even worth it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeganTheSavior said:
I also thought adding Nincada to my party would make Mirage Island appear based on its Pokedex entry. I never made the island appear and from I've seen, I'm not sure it's even worth it.

It really isn't worth it unless you want the special Berry that's found there. I finally made it to the island myself recently in Sapphire version, but I already had the Liechi Berry by that point, and I didn't even feel the need to capture a wild Sohnano (Wynaut).

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeganTheSavior said:
I thought having a Celebi would automatically purify the shadow Pokemon in your party in Pokemon Colosseum.

Nope.

On the subject of that game, I regret not purchasing a copy when I had the chance. It would've made getting several Gen II Pokemon for the core Gen III games a lot easier, and if I had pre-ordered the game I could've gotten the Jirachi bonus disc.

dsfasdfe

I didn't acquire the Master ball in both Ruby and Sapphire due to the fact I didn't understand where to . I also fell for the Deoxys in space rumors that I read on line at one factor