• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Blue Badge of Courage! (009)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
There's potential in just about everything. Chronicles has potential to shed light on characters who aren't Ash and given them character development, and to broaden the world of Pokémon. For the most part, the series does succeed, but it unfortunately delves into “non-canon” territory. Why this is the case, I don't know (whether it's because of the fans or it was always meant to be non-canon), and I find it disappointing that these episodes aren't considered canon. In some cases, perhaps it's for the best the series doesn't count towards canon, but I personally don't see why they can't.

“The Blue Badge of Courage”, despite the title being a painful attempt at being a punny reference to the classic novel The Red Badge of Courage, is one of those episodes I feel I should like, but at the same time I'm left feeling empty. There are some good ideas here, such as Misty trying to end the long gag of Psyduck being unable to swim—which would help add to his character, and where gym badges come from. Are they bad ideas? No, of course not. Were they executed right? Depends on how you want to view them.

The idea of teaching Psyduck to swim isn't a bad thing because the entire episode doesn't revolve around it, however, it doesn't get resolved. Which is honestly fine, but there's no real explanation as to why Psyduck just can't swim, or why it is he refuses to get near water without a floatie. It was touched upon in the past that Psyduck is not a swimmer, but the question of “why”—far as I can remember—was just never answered. If he has a phobia of water, it's ironic, and it's funny, but it's an answer. But because nothing ever comes out of it outside of Misty being scolded for having a Water Pokémon that can't swim, it's pretty much a disappointment in the end.

As for where the gym badges are made, that is an excellent idea to explore, and that is one reason why I would like to consider Chronicles to be canon. I'm sure some gym leaders make their own badges, and the fact that we've seen different versions of identifiable gym badges seems to confirm this. However, considering on how many badges are given out and that gym leaders do have a life outside of the gym, it makes sense that someone makes the badges for them. I like to think that whoever produces the badges is certified by the respectful League of that region, because as Kinso said, there are thieves who sell badges for profit. Though I think this is more of a pain on the producer's side because they would have to file paperwork about the thefts so as to not be falsely accused of selling the badges themselves for extra profit, and if they don't get the badges back and overturn those payments, that's a waste of resources.

So one would think that someone like Kinso would have better security to prevent such burglaries from happening. But that's nitpicking.

Anyway, while still on the topic of making badges, is Kinso making Misty, Tracey and Sakura work to weld the badges themselves something he made up on his own? Because while I suppose it does make sense, does this mean he makes all of the gym leaders in the region do work for him in order to get the badges, or was just this a one-time thing for some reason? I'm sure they don't mind in the long-run, but I don't think the guy injures his leg so often that he demands them to run a lap around the mountain before they use tools and machinery they probably don't really know how to handle to make them. I suppose if it was just this one-time thing because he was injured, I'd let it pass, but it's just hard to tell whether the guy wanted to teach Misty a lesson, or if he's just so grumpy and getting old that he felt like making them do it.

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/nuh2DK4.png[/img139]
“Damn rotten kids and their sense of entitlement!”

I would comment on Sakura making her appearance here, but I honestly don't remember her very well as a character. All I know is she and Misty became friends in Johto, but over what and why, I can't say (and I could always look her up on Bulbapedia, but I don't feel she's worth researching). I personally don't find her battling skills that impressive here, especially since the Poochyena and Zigzagoon that the two thieves owned didn't look like they were well-trained in the first place. Her Espeon also seems to not have that great of a moveset (that was shown), as she ordered it on-screen to use simple moves when I know that an Espeon has some good special attack. Against the Poochyena, I can understand, but against Corsola, no. Corsola could've probably won, or at least stood its ground against Espeon longer had Misty not seemed to have held back with it. I know Corsola can do better than that.

That disappoints me.

So overall, I find this a mediocre episode. The interesting points were of some good insight as to how the gym system works, but we didn't see Kinso do anything except stand around giving orders, his Feraligatr did absolutely nothing, the thievery was just something slapped on to give some kind of conflict, and Psyduck's gag ended up going nowhere. I also found his Disable and Confusion to be not as impressive as the series in the past exaggerated it to be. I honestly look forward to when he does fight, but when it falls short for me, it makes me sad. At least the baffled looks of on-goers who have apparently never seen a Psyduck fight have remained, even if it raises a brow or two.

Oh, and Misty, a “few years” is incorrect, and everyone knows it. Tracey's only been there for maybe a year at best, because I doubt it took you, Brock, and Ash “a few years” to travel through Johto. I blame real time.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

Personally like i said before i thought "Blue Badge of Courage" was amazing episode. It was fun seeing Misty with Tracey help trying to teach Psyduck swim and become more competent pokemon. Driving her crazy and putting in lot of hiilarious, awkward situations. Infront of others like Sakura or craftman Kinso.

It was great to see Misty reuniting with her best female friend Sakura. Seeing their friendship evolving having meaningful battle which both holded special to their heart sharing badges(which was pretty sweet serving as reminder to strong relationship they have), had their girly talks, exchanged experiences and together did various chores and tasks imposed on them by old man to make badhges for Cerulean gym .

Making it all that more amusing to see Misty all stunned and initimidated by overwhelming work with Sakura and Tracey giving her support like real friends would do. Or her irritation at Psyduck who brought her more trouble than help.

Nevertheess this episode provided interesting info to see from where gym badges come from and what is whole process behind making them. Coming of as very demanding and stressful job.

Although i do wish whole effort from Misty side in making Psyduck more friendly with water brought some fruits on table. Because by Misty learning how to understand what bothers him and her pokemon feelings unlocking its full potential by learning to battle and swim. Would be excellent groundwork for some importasnt development in Misty becoming stronger, more knowledgeable trainer. Big step forward in coming closer toward becoming water master if eventually in future she leaves her post to make more groundbreaking steps entering tournaments, learning from other water experts on high positions in obtaining such title.

Misty herself showed to lack authority and tendency to give up due to somewhat impulsive nature with Psyduck showing she still has many things to be developed at.

p.s. Oh how i miss pokemon chronicles. I really do.

They were such fresh and original break from main pokemon anime. Giving us chance to enjoy in personalities, entertaining quirks and spats from other characters beside Ash and replaced main characters, rivals who are unfortunately no longer around(like Misty,Tracey, Gary etc) in main show because "new eye candy is needed for every gen rather than investing in succesful, older ones going forward".

Continuation of their lives, character development and working on improving as persons facing their flaws and struggles developing new interesting sides to their characters. Forging their skills as pokemon trainers becoming stronger, working on their dreams and finding themselves in all kind of funny, enjoyable situations as various adventures waits for them.,

Pokemon chronicles made pokemon world feel closer and connected bringing depth and more variety to anime as whole. What shame that we dont get this anymore focusing on several new, but older, at this pint basically new characters to young kids but as well who has so much appeal and unused potential to do more.

There's potential in just about everything. Chronicles has potential to shed light on characters who aren't Ash and given them character development, and to broaden the world of Pokémon. For the most part, the series does succeed, but it unfortunately delves into “non-canon” territory. Why this is the case, I don't know (whether it's because of the fans or it was always meant to be non-canon), and I find it disappointing that these episodes aren't considered canon. In some cases, perhaps it's for the best the series doesn't count towards canon, but I personally don't see why they can't.

Im not sure why you think this episodes aren't considered canon?

Pokemon chronicles were 90% canon taking place and having other important characters bewside Ash getting development and going on adventures in same universe and timeline.
Just as main pokemon anime does.

This was proved several times. Such as episode "Grating Spaces!" in Battle Frontier bringing up whole issue with Pewter gym and Brock mother Lola wanting to decorate it with kitsch details turning in water pokemon gym.

His brother Forest wanting to become gym leader and whole encouragement and assurence Brock established in chronicle episode "Family that Battles Together, Stays Together!".

Episodes "Princess and Togepi" or "Togepi Mirage" when Misty visited Ash and Brock in Hoenn continued on events which happened in chronicles. About her saving gym from being shut down and obtaining Gyarados. Showing it in those episodes and how she in meantime developed better bond with him teaching it flamethrower.

Episodes focused on Gary like "Putting the Air in Aerodactyl" sticks with his desire to follow grandfather footsteps in becoming recognized researcher applying his newly obtained skills and knowledge in emergency situations. Etc.

Granted there were some conflits between main and and this side episodes such as: "Training Daze!" which implies Jessie and James never met each other before joining TR organization. Main show refutes that with Jessie and James being good friends long before they even joined criminal group.

But in most cases side episodes were in line with events happening in main series. Along with changes to characters and their lives chronicles established being brought up and followed upon later through regular episodes in Hoenn saga.

In reality English dub caused too much confusion and incorrect information circulating around deviating at times from original Japanese version. To the poiint of original message and what plot or characters saying was completely changed; giving to inexperienced viewer entirely different picture of what happened in some cases in chronicles.

Like in:
Ill put spoiler tag for those who didnt watched it yet:

"Oaknapped!" where in dub its said how prof. Oak planned to set up security system wanting that Tracey and Ritchie appear on some show. While in original version Oak tells them why he was kidnapped by TR because of his knowledge about pokerus with DJ Mary appearing and heading with them toward Pallet.

Or in "Date with Delcatty!" where in original version Misty declines going on date with Georgio because of liking someone else, Dub omitted that.
As well at end of episode in dub saying how "she found calling as gym leader". But in original version instead she complains about sisters irrresponsibility saying how they are useless and has no choice but to stay there for time being, revealing how family reasons were motive behind staying there.

But in general aside from few questionable situations chronicles were definitely canon.

Teebu

Who knew that being a gym leader was such a painstaking job? ashamed to admit i never even gave it much thought about how the gym badges got made but found it really neat to see all the effort that goes into making them, definitely gave some more weight to the trainer winning the badge for me after seeing the journey those badges had been on. Pretty cool to have Sakura in the episode, nice to know they dont just plant these characters in the show and just forget about them once the original episode has been done with. The battle for the badge was a little short lived for my liking, with all the experience Misty gained on her travels with Ash and Brock i hoped she would put up a better battle than that, though i guess we'd have missed out on the meat of the episode which was the badges themselves, or the episode would have been like 10 minutes longer than they had time for so i suppose they had to compromise somewhere.

and finally, Psyduck as awesome as always, man i miss that guy in the anime. Always been one of my fave pokemon from travelling companions.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Ha ha, Psyduck's freak out scenes were funny, plus I liked seeing Sakura again. The process of making Cascade badges was tougher than I imagined and I was glad that Misty and Sakura battled as well.

Gillachu

Banned
Oh look, Psyduck made use of his ultra-convenient headache powers again. At least we saw how badges get made the old fashioned way.

JudySpell

Banned
So Cascade Badges have to be made one by one by a craftsman?? I thought since they look simple that they could be mass produced easily. 7/10

Zamin

This was a really cool episode. It was great to see Misty and Tracey. Sakura was really sweet. It is great that the heroes saved the day.

ZilverLox

Banned
Tracey looked hawt in swim trunks. I especially liked this episode because not only did we see where the badges come from, but Misty had an official gym leader battle.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
What livened this episode was Psyduck: he was hilarious and I was reminded just how much I missed him. Too bad they couldn't convince him to get over his fear of the water, but I loved the recurring gag with him getting scared and running off every time he even touched the water. :p

I didn't think we needed a whole episode just to show us how Badges get created, though I do wonder now if each Kanto Badge has its own exclusive craftsman.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
What I wasn't fond of was how once again, Misty's Psyduck managed to get his infamous headaches at the necessary moment.

I'm just glad that he was relevant again and got to battle cuz I had missed seeing him in action. Him attacking the thieves' Pokemon was an episode highlight to me.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Lol, Psyduck's headache powers hadn't been showcased since Johto I think, so I for one was happy that we got to see him use that again, even as a plot device. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
Koduck's constant fear of water in this special became irritating fast, but I was glad that we saw Sakura again. I appreciated that she had an Agehunt now, but the fact that
the thieves owned Houen Pokemon too seemed like Houen promotion overkill. Kinzo's crafting skills were amusing however, and Sunnygo versus Eefi was great. I'm glad that Sakura won the Blue Badge.

Daizy

I call you honey
We got some cool Tracey and Misty scenes here. There were definitely Orangeshipping hints in this special: Misty seems to have given up on Ash. The Psyduck fight was awesome.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wish we had seen a much long scuffle at the Hanada Gym between Kasumi and Sakura here. Since we knew that Sakura had an Agehunt with her, I wish she'd have fought Kasumi's Gyarados with it.