• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Bonds of Evolution! (831)

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Ash wasn't able to land a single hit on Diantha, while Pikachu was sent flying into the distance after just one hit. Raise your hand if you were surprised.

Aside from being untouchable, her job as an actress ensures that people admire her even more than Cynthia, which is saying something. Add in overwhelming blandness, and you have quite a "perfect" character.

The thing is, anime Alder was MUCH more interesting. He seemed careless and irresponsible, he dozed off during battles and yet showcased his Champion side when the situation called for it. He threw a freaking Gigalith into air with his bare hands.

He was depicted as strong as Champion should be but also with many interesting characteristics.

With Diantha all we got was that she was close with Gardevoir and very strong as well as famous. Alder was more three-dimensional of a character imo.

It's still her first appearance, and already everyone is calling her Sue. But when someone else does the same, it's praise them or bash them like Ash gets. Maybe she has more to her, but let's not get into Alder better than her because it's someone's opinion.

Janovy

Banned
It's still her first appearance, and already everyone is calling her Sue. But when someone else does the same, it's praise them or bash them like Ash gets. Maybe she has more to her, but let's not get into Alder better than her because it's someone's opinion.
I'm just saying, in his debut episode, Alder wasn't depicted as a perfect character. He was strong, but not perfect.

If we are to compare Diantha's debut ep with Alder's debut ep, it's pretty clear who the winner is.

I'm just saying, in his debut episode, Alder wasn't depicted as a perfect character. He was strong, but not perfect.

If we are to compare Diantha's debut ep with Alder's debut ep, it's pretty clear who the winner is.

Well don't take it so seriously at it, last time I checked since everyone loves bringing up BW, didnt people hate how he was handled, so now he's good? And all this comparison stuff is really annoying, this isn't even about the episode, just bash Dianatha thread.

I don't think she's perfect because ypu don't come to this world thinking your are awesome, that takes time. Maybe in the future we will learn more of her in the near future, but no one should point at her and call her a sue when in another series someone will treat them like gods.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The thing is, anime Alder was MUCH more interesting. He seemed careless and irresponsible, he dozed off during battles and yet showcased his Champion side when the situation called for it. He threw a freaking Gigalith into air with his bare hands.

He was depicted as strong as Champion should be but also with many interesting characteristics.

With Diantha all we got was that she was close with Gardevoir and very strong as well as famous. Alder was more three-dimensional of a character imo.

Was Alder really that interesting? I'm asking only because I have never seen anime Alder. So I would not know. That's interesting.

As far as the Diantha perfect thing goes, I'll say it again. Diantha does feel overpowered but not unbeatable for some reason. Cynthia had a perfect invincible feel to her. Nobody in this anime is ever going to dethrone Cynthia. She was made too flawless and too perfect. Diantha to me at least, doesn't have that perfect aura. She's powerful but not to the point where it's abused...like Uberchomp was. If someone were to tell me Diantha and Gardevoir lost a match, I might actually believe it. As opposed to like a Cynthia.

Generally though I'm not a fan of E4 or Champion characters in the anime. They are always made flawless to the point in fighting them is just nor fair no matter how strong a character is. The only ones who can even rival the Champion and E4 in the anime are other Champions and E4.

RickHoenn

Banned

For me the clear winner is Diantha, they managed to portray her better than her game counterpart so that's a plus, Alder was a good character but I'm not too fond of his "personality", I don't see why Diantha needs to have "flaws" she has to be dumb, lazy, careless or fall on the ground like Manon to have personality? of course no, she's a champion and she was portrayed as such.

Anyway it seems Diantha divides opinion and it's a very polarizing character, there have been complains since it was revealed she was going to appear in the anime.

Oh and hopefully Kalos will introduce all of the E4 like DP.

Janovy

Banned
For me the clear winner is Diantha, they managed to portray her better than her game counterpart so that's a plus, Alder was a good character but I'm not too fond of his "personality", I don't see why Diantha needs to have "flaws" she has to be dumb, lazy, careless or fall on the ground like Manon to have personality? of course no, she's a champion and she was portrayed as such.

Anyway it seems Diantha divides opinion and it's a very polarizing character, there have been complains since it was revealed she was going to appear in the anime.

Oh and hopefully Kalos will introduce all of the E4 like DP.
Yes, she was portrayed accurately as a Champion. Graceful and strong. However, she wasn't too interesting to watch.

I like my characters interesting. xD

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Oh yes, Alder was actually a good Champion in the anime, and he was a good one in the games as well.

Diantha, though? You see her a grand total of three times in the main game, and she hardly says any words of wisdom during the first two encounters. And the only thing you can see about her job as an actress is about a small movie ad with a Lucario in it.

Arrow-Jolteon

Electric Trainer

Yeah... no. I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. It's cool that they tried to add more layers to Alder, but honestly, his anime portrayal was annoying; he seemed less like a Champion and more like a hedonistic buffoon who can't take anything seriously. If they at least gave an explanation of why he's like that, I would agree with you, but no, the guy is just a lazy moron.

Janovy

Banned
Yeah... no. I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. It's cool that they tried to add more layers to Alder, but honestly, his anime portrayal was annoying; he seemed less like a Champion and more like a hedonistic buffoon who can't take anything seriously. If they at least gave an explanation of why he's like that, I would agree with you, but no, the guy is just a lazy moron.
How can he be a lazy moron when he's been depicted as competent champion?

Last edited:

Arrow-Jolteon

Electric Trainer
How can he be a lazy moron when he's been depicted as competent champion?

He freaking falls asleep during his match with Ash and can't even remember people's names correctly. That's how.

I'm sorry, but the fact still stands: Game!Alder just blows Anime!Alder out of the water in my humble opinion. Then again, these days the Pokemon games tend to have a much more interesting plot and characters than anything the anime could pull off.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
He freaking falls asleep during his match with Ash and can't even remember names correctly. That's how.
Those are comedic traits as well as his flaws. They show that a Champion can be strong but also imperfect.

It makes the character feel more human as opposed to the untouchable Diantha.

Those are comedic traits as well as his flaws. They show that a Champion can be strong but also imperfect.

One episode does not make her untouchable, where's the battles were rushed argument people use

diakyu

I find it ironic that some where complaing about how weak Diantha seemed before the episode aired and now everyone's fighting about how she's too strong and perfect.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
He freaking falls asleep during his match with Ash and can't even remember people's names correctly. That's how.

Those are quirks, and besides during his battle against Trip he showed to be a quite strong Trainer. His Bouffalant shrugged Serperior's Dragon Tail like nothing. I still find it ridiculous that Serperior couldn't dodge that Head Charge, but that's not the point.

Speaking of that... who says that we won't get another episode with Diantha where she shows some quirk? Just like I thought of Alder a simple Brock's rip-off during his debut and saw later that there is more than what he shows, the same could happen with Diantha. In this case, we may see more about her personality. Who knows, she may even be seen as an impatient person on a set or similar.

Last edited:
I find it ironic that some where complaing about how weak Diantha seemed before the episode aired and now everyone's fighting about how she's too strong and perfect.

The irony hit hard, I saw this coming

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

For now, anyway. To boot, since Ash is reset to a weakling every region... Let's give her some time first and see if we ever get to see her doing acting as an actress.

Arrow-Jolteon

Electric Trainer

Giving a character flaws does not automatically a good character make. Sorry, but no, Anime!Alder is still not a good or interesting character in my opinion. And "comedic traits"? More like annoying traits that utterly ruined one of the more interesting Champions from the games.

Those are quirks, and besides during his battle against Trip he showed to be a quite strong Trainer. His Bouffalant shrugged Serperior's Dragon Tail like nothing. I still find it ridiculous that Serperior couldn't dodge that Head Charge, but that's not the point.

Speaking of that... who says that we won't get another episode with Diantha where she shows some quirk? Just like I thought of Alder a simple Brock's rip-off during his debut and saw later that there is more than what he shows, the same could happen with Diantha. In this case, we may see more about her personality. Who knows, she may even be seen as an impatient person on a set or similar.

Sorry, but those "quirks" are still annoying and make it nigh impossible for me to respect the anime portrayal. Alder in the anime seems less like the wise, respectable guy he was in the games and more like someone who just likes to slack off for no reason at all. Just because a character has "flaws" doesn't automatically mean that they're a good character.

Also, do you honestly think the writers will give Diantha any depth? That she will show up again is a given: all Champions except Steven always do, but I honestly doubt the writers will do much with her, since even in the games she's very uninteresting, and it's almost an unwritten rule that any character adapted from the games will be shallower in the anime than the games portrayed them. Just ask the other Champions (sans maybe Lance) and every Villainous Team ever.

Last edited:
For now, anyway. To boot, since Ash is reset to a weakling every region... Let's give her some time first and see if we ever get to see her doing acting as an actress.

Ash is not reset to a weakling, he has never been reset, and don't give me that BW crap.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Sorry, but those "quirks" are still annoying and make it nigh impossible for me to respect the anime portrayal. Alder in the anime seems less like the wise, respectable guy he was in the games and more like someone who just likes to slack off for no reason at all. Just because a character has "flaws" doesn't automatically mean that they're a good character.

I was just saying. Frankly, I'm not much a fan of his anime portrayal either.

Also, do you honestly think the writers will give Diantha any depth? That she will show up again is a given: all Champions always do, but I honestly doubt the writers will do much with her, since even in the games she's very uninteresting, and it's almost an unwritten rule that any character adapted from the games will be shallower in the anime than the games portrayed them. Just ask the other Champions (sans maybe Lance) and every Villainous Team ever.

Depends of what the eventual Z brings to the table. And only because they never did that to previous characters, it doesn't mean that they can't do something with her later.

Regardless of that, I didn't have any problem with Diantha in the anime. They could make her have a role against Team Flare and Lysandre, if they want to take something from the games, but I'm not wishing for anything more. I'm going to have an open mind about her.