• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Brave Bird, original fic, one-shot, PG

First original fic, short story for a school assessment, got a good level. Rated PG for violence and death.

The Brave Bird:​

Have you ever needed to kill someone you loved? I have; father.

The moment I woke up, I knew I would dread this day. A soft breeze ruffled my cloud-white feathers as I stretched my wide wings. The wind whistled smoothly in my small ears, the smell and taste of the salty sea filled my sharp beak and the colder, harsher wind blew my light feathers. Today someone will die; me or father.

Now you might be wondering why I have to do this. It is the tradition of my tribe. The leader of the clan must be defeated in a battle to the death by his son, the heir. It is the sole reason why I hate this tribe.

I expanded my large wingspan to my sides and suddenly, I jumped out of my nest. The wind whistled loudly in my ears as I glided smoothly over the sparkly blue ocean. Pulling my body up an inch or two higher above the water, I soared straight upwards. The blistering heat of the sun intensified as I drew nearer to the tiny star. A miniscule sparkle appeared within the shrubbery beneath my nest. I patiently waited for a moment before plunging nose-first to the water. Swiftly grabbing a jumping cod with my talons, I u-turned back to my nest where I released the flailing fish. This was probably my last opportunity to do something as relaxing as this.

After feasting promptly, I took a tiny nap to conserve my energy. The rise of the sun announced to me of my nearer drawing dilemma:

It was time to confront father.

The silky gust ruffled my snow-white feathers as a miniature tear appeared in my eyes. Why did this have to happen? Was this all really necessary? I felt a sharp pain in my gut. Whether it was butterflies, a premonition, or lunch, I did not know. Nor did I pay it any heed.

I swooped out of my nest and swerved upwards towards the thick clouds. A battle strategy swiftly ran through my head; if I have to do this, I’ll give it my all. Perhaps the cloud could be used to cover me? They were thick like elephant skin so they could be used to block hits and to remain unseen. No. That would show cowardice. Neither father nor the tribe would like that.

The adrenaline burned rapidly through my thin veins as fate drew nearer and nearer. I could see the tiny silhouettes of father and the other tribe members as I soared closer. They waited patiently while I waited with baited breath.

As I finally reached the bulbous clouds, I paused. Absent-mindedly, I noticed how the other tribe members watched while flying leisurely in a large ring around the two combatants, father and me. I turned my head towards the former.

He outsized me by far. His grey feathers were much dirtier and more worn out, his beak was slightly broken and an old battle scar ran over his left eye. A bitter, emotionless look filled it.

“Son,” he began, “The time has come for you to prove yourself to everyone here, including you.” That was our indication to start.

We both rushed head on. Neither of us moved. Both of us knew this was a sign of courage, intimidation, and stupidity.

Last minute, I speedily turned on my left wing, suddenly moving myself out of the way and allowing myself to graze his body lightly with my feathers. Catching him off guard, I quickly turned around and ferociously pecked him with my sharp beak. I was starting to wear father down.

Suddenly, he spun around and roundhouse kicked me with his iron-claws, faintly grazing me across my small chest. He smirked proudly. It looks like father wanted to fight dirty. Using my own, smaller talons, I intertwined mine with his and threw him at a cloud with all of my strength. While he used the time to recover, I used the time to confuse him.

I nose-dived towards the garden of trees below me; every tree was like a blade of grass. Father decided to follow me.

All I could see was green, brown, and black. Light was scarcely let through the leaves above us like a shelter. The smell of rotting trees made me want to hold my breath while the sound of howler monkeys weeping in the distance nearly distracted me from my task. Nearly.

I decided to think of a plan while father adjusted to the new scenery; if I could weave quickly through the trees, I could wear him down and defeat him more easily. Father was a great deal slower and had a lot less stamina. Then when he’s tired I can throw him at a stone- quick and painless.

A furious pecking against my right wing notified me of father’s recovery. If I could only fly with one wing, he would surely win. It seems like father’s fighting strategically, too.

I swiftly moved aside and flew off. He automatically chased me, as expected. I weaved randomly between the mud-covered trees as he pursued me. Now I can tire him and he won’t know where I’m going next.

KABOOM!

I stopped suddenly and my sharp eyes widened. I heard a loud sound and it was something I had feared my entire life. The tribe members above had scurried off as though they were mice. I turned to where father was and saw him falling. The hole in his chest explained one thing:

Father had been shot.

I grabbed onto his talons with my own. Slowly, I flew down and dropped him. I realised something:

He was dead.

Straight away, I heard the same sound and assumed a tribe member had been shot. Instinctively, I followed the sound with my ears on full alert for any other clatter. There was now the sound of mocking for me to follow.

I noticed the offenders and scurried behind an elm tree. They were hunters, 2 of them. If I didn’t think of a proper plan through properly, I could be dead as well. But true vengeance must be paid.

Jolting from behind the tree, I screamed and took them off guard. I smashed my tiny beak into the neck of the first hunter in my way, the accomplice it seemed, because he didn’t have a gun. I pushed him into his larger friend to complete the fatal attack.

With the same momentum, I forced my weight into my skull and swiftly smashed it into the shooter’s ribs.

Fortunately, I hit his heart and killed him.

Unfortunately, the blow had smashed my thin skull, and I knew my end was coming soon.

This was entirely my fault. It was my fault I had dragged father down to be shot. It was my fault I agreed to the duel. It was my fault I didn’t say no.

ChloboShoka

Writer
The title and the first line made me think imagine a huge eagle resembling Ho-oh talking to God. A few paragraphs down the line reminded me a bird version of the lion king. The tone of the character did show bravery, which I think it what you were aiming for, judging on the title. The tribal desciptions that went in my head made me think of Africa.

I think the description was fine, and I think you summed up some important parts. The end was pretty tragic though. Wildlife and hunting can be dangerous stuff.

Some parts made me want to know about the birds and the tribe itself. Along with other things like, how would everyone in the tribe react?

I liked it, I did get hooked in until the end. Well done on getting the good marks. :)

Yami Ryu

To be honest the story felt a bit rushed and choppy. One minute we're dealing with smart birds who duel to the death to bring about order to a tribe of birds. I mean I know a bunch of crows is called a murder of crows- or is it a murder ravens. But I've never heard of a 'flock' of birds titled as such.

The other thing is- trying to have the humans, or Hunters at any rate, as evil. Why? They are ignorant of this, and why hide? I've never seen hunters hide. Poachers yes. So was that your intent? The other thing is, the wonders of the human body.

Seriously. We have flesh, ribs and clothing on the chest- your bird was strong enough, and fast enough to shove his head with such force it pierced a body, broke bones and went right for the heart? But only moments ago you had him barely strong enough to even scratch and nibble at the neck of the other.

And we're also forgetting the fact one of them was going to die anyways; oh father died because of me! Father was gonna die because of the dumbass duel anyways! It's pointless to try and jerk tears out of us when you already have it that the birds are cruel, backwater and one way or another one was going to die.

You also showed the 'main character' was pretty stupid because as much as he hated the tribe, he was ultimately selfish in killing himself by shattering his skull against a chest. Because now who's gonna lead them. But guess that's not really important to the story.

The fight between the two birds was also unrealistic, so not only should you study up next time you're gonna have a bird suicide into something, but you should also study how birds fight. Because the whole thing felt so unrealistic it's not even funny :/