1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Brockster Is In (658)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Diamond & Pearl: Sinnoh League Victors' started by Serebii, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Well he never made much progress with his breeder goal any ways hee hee, so him choosing to become a Pokemon doctor was a good second choice for Brock. Besides, he had gotten experience healing Pokemon already, so it made sense. :3

2. Alloutℯ

Alloutℯ Banned

I do think that Brock's change in goal from Breeder to Doctor was one of Diamond and Pearl's worst moments. Brock shouldn't have swapped goals no matter how good of a Doctor he was in Sinnoh.

3. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

I saw it as him finding a new calling that he was good at, which isn't such a bad thing from my perspective cuz he could still use all his breeder knowledge while being a doctor, so it's not like his time as a breeder was a waste or anything. ^^

4. Alloutℯ

Alloutℯ Banned

I think my biggest issue with the goal change was how convenient it was. Brock just so happened to get a Chansey (AKA, the best healer in the series) with no effort on his behalf when his Happiny evolved.

5. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

Well I'd like to think that perhaps the writing staff originally gave Brock his Happiny as a way of foreshadowing his eventual doctor profession. But even if they didn't, Brock's new Chansey here suited his team much more than Sudowoodo I think.

6. Alloutℯ

Alloutℯ Banned

He could've at least gotten it to evolve into Blissey here. A double evolution would have been easy since I'm sure his Happiny/Chansey had a high friendship level. I just think Blissey is more original than Chansey.

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I may've jumped the gun before in my previous comment and been too hard on Takeshi's epiphany from this episode regarding his desire to become a Pokemon doctor. I recently saw the Mukkuru evolution episode again and noticed Takeshi bandaging up Mukkuru's injured leg, which made me realize that we did in fact get small hints in Shinou that foretold Takeshi's endgame goal.

MockingJ and Daizy like this.
  8. Vulpicks

Vulpicks Well-Known Member

I loved this episode. It's such a wonderful send-off for my favorite main character in the series.

The final parts of the Sinnoh sage were very rushed in some areas (The Grand Festival and Tobias battle come to mind), yet the writers still made sure to give Brock an entire episode before his departure. I'm very appreciative for that.

So much was great about this episode. This is the first time we've seen Brock fall short, in a sense. Throughout DP it seemed like he knew everything about treating Pokemon, but this is the first time we see Brock admit that he just doesn't have the knowledge for this situation, yet he pushed through it anyways.

The idea of Brock being a Pokemon Doctor is really great. It makes so much sense that it feels like it was something that's been planned from very early on into the show. I recall it being foreshadowed as far back as the Battle Frontier, where Professor Oak commended Brock's healing abilities. Throughout the entirety of DP this was on display as well, and he got a Happiny. Also, Brock freaking loves Nurse Joys. Him becoming a doctor just makes so much sense.

Also, there is a running theme of all the Kanto main characters moving on from vague goals to more concrete realistic ones. Gary, Misty, and now Brock all display this, after swapping their goals from Pokemon Master, Water Pokemon Master, and Pokemon Breeder to Pokemon Researcher, running a gym, and Pokemon Doctor respectively. Perhaps these are remnants of Shudo's work?

Having the episode both start and end with Brock staring at the sea pondering his life was also a magnificent touch. A testament to how well though-out this episode was. Great episode for a great character.

Also, Kazo to Issho ni is a freaking amazing track!

MockingJ and Daizy like this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Dokukurage being the cause of the sick Pokemon on the ferry bothered me because once again, the species were made out to be troublemakers. It's just frustrating to see them as villains so often.

MockingJ likes this.
  10. Daizy

Daizy I call you honey

I thought it was smart of Brock when he grabbed James's bottlecaps and used them to make the Tentacruel go away. Brock's new mission in life was a good choice because he always had promise as a doctor.

Ubermuk likes this.