• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The bystanders effect: a problem that people should be more aware about?

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
The bystander effect is the somewhat controversial name given to a social psychological phenomenon in cases where individuals do not offer help in an emergency situation when other people are present. The probability of help has in the past been thought to be inversely proportional to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. This has never been conclusively proven beyond the basic research and cases given here (with some research refuting the effect for certain situations, such as emergency services reporting[1]), however there is further anecdotal evidence to suggest that at least in some circumstances, this is the case.

The case of Petru Barladeanu
Petru Barladeanu was accidentally shot by Italian mafia in a crowded street in the center of Napoli close to the Spanish Quarter, on the 26th of May, 2009. The event took place at a moment when the street was full of people who witnessed the assault at early hours of the evening. Taking refuge at the entrance of a station, Petru Barladeanu fell and died half an hour later in the presence of his panicked wife who called for help. As shown in the CCTV video of the event [3] the victim was surrounded by ordinary people who looked at the victim without giving any help whatsoever and then fled the scene. The victim eventually died and the perpetrators were convicted only months later. None of those who refused to assist the victim were either identified or charged by the prosecutors.[citation needed]

i'd like to open a debate about this subject seeing as this occurs more then we sometimes are aware about. despite the fact that there have been commercials about it here and there should there be more attention spend to this subject and should people be educated about it on school?

discuss.

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
So the bystanders effect is about people not helping others when they are suffering?Like what happened to my classmate you said in "Most embarassing moments"?

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
So the bystanders effect is about people not helping others when they are suffering?Like what happened to my classmate you said in "Most embarassing moments"?

the gymteacher didn't notice but multiple others did i assumed (hearing as bullies undressed one of your classmates at gym), but if i maybe wrong in that situation feel free to send me VM.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
It's intersting, isn't it now.
Everone says 'NOZ, i wouldz halpz no materrsz wot u say as rapez/murdar/ theivingz is EVIL !!!!!111!1!!11!!'
The idea that being social as we are, we do what is 'cool' for fear of being socially outcast.
http://psychology.about.com/od/socialpsychology/a/bystandereffect.htm

And, yes, I've been guilty of this.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Yes, we should pay more attention to bystanders, it's very important.
There are people who need help like you said in a car accident, and nobody helps. This must to change.

7 tyranitars

yep but I think it's also a little bit fear, imagine you someon get shot if you help him you risk being shot too, you can say yes I will help the person but then your body just won't move

I notice that you think about what would happen if something bad happened (let's say a shooting), you just think "I'll just shoot them back", but when it actually happens, people are too scared to help.

It's a shame, but there isn't much that can be done about it. Fear is just too strong a lot of the time.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
yep but I think it's also a little bit fear, imagine you someon get shot if you help him you risk being shot too, you can say yes I will help the person but then your body just won't move

At least you can help by calling the police / ambulance rather than flee.

And if you are run away from there if someone is shoots a gun it's fine, I meant to a car accident.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Interesting topic...

I don't know how America is, socially speaking, but in England I actually wouldn't really expect anyone to help in a crowded area like London or wherever. I suppose the reason for the effect is that one person gets shot or w/e, and then some more people are scared. Fear can spread through a crowd, and in the end people are either too scared to help, don't know what to do, or don't want to stand out.

Poliwag2

ship it holla
Bystanders rationally avoid taking responsibility in such situations to avoid litigation in case they get it wrong.

Last edited:

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
You guys are aware it happens all around the world, and it's not just limited to this century.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
You guys are ignoring the first post. Fear is hardly a reason for the bystander effect. It has more to do with responsibility. People feel less responsible if more people are around them, obviously. That's human nature and there is nothing you can do about that.

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
The Bystander Effect is caused in large crowds of people usually due to the fact that everyone is thinking "Oh, someone else will help them."

It's a horrible thing.

7 tyranitars

The Bystander Effect is caused in large crowds of people usually due to the fact that everyone is thinking "Oh, someone else will help them."

It's a horrible thing.

yeah sure that also happens but what I ment that in some cases it's more fear then''someon else helps'

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Well you would be wrong psychologically because this has already been tested. It is usually responsibility related and not fear. They aren't talking about in situations where you hear a gunshot and people riot. They're talking about when everything already happened.

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
Well you would be wrong psychologically because this has already been tested. It is usually responsibility related and not fear. They aren't talking about in situations where you hear a gunshot and people riot. They're talking about when everything already happened.

yes, which is when they think "Oh someone else will take care of it, so I don't have to worry about it." And so no one helps since everyone is thinking that.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
yes, which is when they think "Oh someone else will take care of it, so I don't have to worry about it." And so no one helps since everyone is thinking that.

In that case, people also want to go along with the crowd. That's the reason mobs and riots are so successful - people get into mob mentality and support the cause. In this case nobody is helping the man, so everyone wants to just blend in with the crowd instead of making a scene.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
You guys are ignoring the first post. Fear is hardly a reason for the bystander effect. It has more to do with responsibility. People feel less responsible if more people are around them, obviously. That's human nature and there is nothing you can do about that.

On the other hand, they can at least try to help.
I know that from the nature of things people are trying to flee and fear but if it happens to a close person to them they won't escape from there. that's what I'm saying, you need to help even if you don't know the humans.

Grei

not the color
People nowadays are selfish of thinking only of themselves
On the other hand, they can at least try to help.
I know that from the nature of things people are trying to flee and fear but if it happens to a close person to them they won't escape from there. that's what I'm saying, you need to help even if you don't know the humans.

People, it's not selfishness. The bystander effect isn't where a bunch of people say "I'm not going to help, that would require thinking of someone other than ME", lest it wouldn't be the bystander effect, which implies that it's a psychological response rather than a personality flaw in action.

Poliwag2 states it well:

Bystanders rationally avoid taking responsibility in such situations to avoid litigation in case they get it wrong.

People don't want to be wrong, so if they help out in a situation and end up screwing up, the responsibility falls on them for the incident. People don't want that, so they subconsciously stop themselves from taking action.

It's not everybody choosing to stand aside, it's a psychological effect.