• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The camera angle of overworld in pokemon switch?

Sixpercentsalt

The main line Pokémon games have been top down.

Could we see a Final Fantasy VII style camera ( you can go somewhat top down, or have a more 3d esk camera)
Could we be getting a full 360 camera?

What do you guys think?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I was thinking of an adjustable 360 camera using the right joystick and options to change perspective between top-down and player view.

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
I've always imagined a hi-definition remake of Generation V where the player has a third person camera that can be moved by one of the analogue sticks, looking up to see the sky-high skyscrapers of castelia city that reach so high you can see the top or maybe taking a photo at one of the massive bridges when boats kept moving back and forth.

MewsTruck

I was thinking of an adjustable 360 camera using the right joystick and options to change perspective between top-down and player view.
I was thinking samething. Would only make sense, i mean being on a console rather than the 3ds. Time to step up their game...

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I was thinking samething. Would only make sense, i mean being on a console rather than the 3ds. Time to step up their game...
Even though the New 3DS had a mini Circle Pad on the right and the 3DS and the 3DS XL had a right Circle Pad accessory although Game Freak most likely didn't think it was necessary because not all 3DS owners would bother having an additional Circle Pad accessory. Nevertheless, I would like to take the view of the player character because it puts the player in the deeper perspective of the player and we get a heightened sense of exploration.

MewsTruck

Yes, it seems they put some effort into some kind of change towards the camera starting in gen 5 which is a good step. I wouldn't be worried about it releasing on switch with the same top down view. My only fear overall is the fact they seem to be afraid of change, i understand if its not broke dont fix it, but wanting to keep something fresh sometimes require change. I feel alot of the fan base grew with pokemon obviously so then i feel they should grow up with us aswell

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yes, it seems they put some effort into some kind of change towards the camera starting in gen 5 which is a good step. I wouldn't be worried about it releasing on switch with the same top down view. My only fear overall is the fact they seem to be afraid of change, i understand if its not broke dont fix it, but wanting to keep something fresh sometimes require change. I feel alot of the fan base grew with pokemon obviously so then i feel they should grow up with us aswell
By changing camera angles, I can see that they can have more freedom to change the places where doors open so that means there won't be as much front-facing doors and there could as well be more side-facing and back-facing doors.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't think they're afraid of change at this point. Gen 7 made proof of that when they got rid of gyms.

I think they are just used to incorporating change at a very slow pace. Diamond and Pearl were the first games to have 3D graphics, and they were released in 2006. It took another ten years before we actually got a fully rendered 3D game, with Sun and Moon. This is how Game Freak has always been with change, baby steps. Hopefully, they move passed this and learn to take a few leaps. I mean, come on. What could possibly go wrong with adding camera controls to a main series Pokémon game?

MewsTruck

I don't think they're afraid of change at this point. Gen 7 made proof of that when they got rid of gyms.

I think they are just used to incorporating change at a very slow pace. Diamond and Pearl were the first games to have 3D graphics, and they were released in 2006. It took another ten years before we actually got a fully rendered 3D game, with Sun and Moon. This is how Game Freak has always been with change, baby steps. Hopefully, they move passed this and learn to take a few leaps. I mean, come on. What could possibly go wrong with adding camera controls to a main series Pokémon game?
Aaaah very true good point. And who knows, camera angles can make a very big difference