• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cave of Mirrors! (840)

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
So yeah, this was a pretty cool episode imo and although I expected this episode to be rather awkward to watch, I enjoyed it. The Mirror World counterparts of the cast were very interesting; poor Mirror Ash mistook the real Ash's Pikachu for his own. Mirror Pikachu was pretty sadistic though, compared to how friendly the real Pikachu is. Mirror Serena had an accent which I found rather amusing tbh. I wonder if she will have a New York accent or some sort of gangster accent in the dub. Mirror Ash and Mirror Serena were the ones who were really significant in terms of notable differences. Mirror Clemont had physical stamina and was a magician rather than a scientist, but his behavior and personality were largely the same. Mirror Bonnie was completely proud of Mirror Clemont, unlike real Bonnie who's largely critical of her brother. Regardless, the interaction between Ash and the mirror cast was interesting. And I liked the end of the episode, that moment between Ash and Serena was cute imo. And villain TR vs. hero TR at the very end was hilarious lol. Nonetheless, this was a really cool filler episode and I really look forward to more.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Yeah, gonna have to agree with some that this one was wasted potential.

It was so interesting to see the mirror counterparts, yet only Ash got to interact with them? Would have been really nice to see the others interact with them as well. The real Serena, Clemont and Bonnie were useless this episode. I found the mirror counterparts to be rather likable; shame we will pretty much never see them again.

I really wanted to enjoy this one, but I just couldn't.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
So Pokemon goes Stargate.

The end result was more interesting than most episodes. Of course, there was wasted potential with the Ash-only policy, and it was also a mistake to have a crybaby duplicate instead of a highly competent one. These alternate universe stories tend to work better that way.

Maybe somewhere there is an Ash that can actually win a league. Losing leagues is Ash's defining feature if there ever was one.

Also:

Who needs the power of science when you have dowsing rods?

Mirror Serena gets an official battle before the main one. Now they're just trolling.

And Serena, I'm sure you and Ash will be together forever. What could possibly go wrong?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just watched the subbed version of this episode & I'm finally able to notice subtle differences in Mirror Serena's accent. I'm just really hoping that she'll have this trait in the dub too

gamers4all

Poke-Poke
I just watched the subbed version of this episode & I'm finally able to notice subtle differences in Mirror Serena's accent. I'm just really hoping that she'll have this trait in the dub too

probably not... it's most likely going to be the same thing they do with all other characters and voices.

like characters with the endwords like nyaa, desu, etc etc are all removed in the dub.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
probably not... it's most likely going to be the same thing they do with all other characters and voices.

like characters with the endwords like nyaa, desu, etc etc are all removed in the dub.
Actually I was talking about giving the dub version of Mirror Serena an accent such as a Southern twang, a Brooklyn accent, or a Boston accent

I liked Mirror Ash and Mirror TR more than XY Ash and XY TR, honestly. o_O

This was an interesting episode, to say the least.

Sephora

yes I'm back

Mirror Ash was annoying imo, but I agree that Mirror TR were so much better. Because it ventures from the stale overused TR, it was quite refreshing to see them act like heroes. It's a shame they were barely in the episode though.

phanpycross

God-king
Were they ever confirmed as heroes?

Anyway, fun episode, a bit of potential wasted, but I have a hunch they might reexplore the concept ater, hopfully with the rest of the cast.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<

you got the same mindset like i do though i think agree with mirror ash a bit annoying, and i wonder why did they even put him as a crybaby ( so unlikely his age)

but the epic ending made me laugh, where the hell did the good tr come from who were just appearing out of nowhere -_-

Mirror Ash was annoying imo, but I agree that Mirror TR were so much better. Because it ventures from the stale overused TR, it was quite refreshing to see them act like heroes. It's a shame they were barely in the episode though.

I can understand that standpoint, but I actually like Mirror Ash more because he acts more like a real little kid more than XY Ash does (though, yeah, he's a crybaby).

you got the same mindset like i do though i think agree with mirror ash a bit annoying, and i wonder why did they even put him as a crybaby ( so unlikely his age)

but the epic ending made me laugh, where the hell did the good tr come from who were just appearing out of nowhere -_-
Actually Ash is still 10 years old, so him acting like a crybaby makes sense when you think about it (though that's the worst part of Mirror Ash).

Mirror TR was hilarious to watch appear on screen and then you see the actual TR who are just a bunch of ... = lol.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There will be(or rather should be) so many fanfics and headcanons from this episode it'll become its own genre. For example:
* Does Mirror Ash and Mirror Team Rocket have the same team they had in the normal universe? Because a lot of Pokemon of the team wouldn't appear if they had opposite personalities
* So if Giovanni is a good guy here, what's Mirror Mewtwo like? If it even exists. And who's the supervillain here instead?
* Does Giratina have anything to do with this? It did have mirrors used for it in the movie. Hmmm...this seems to be a legitimate method of explaining how a shiny Giratina could exist
* What about Mirror versions of Ash's previous companions and rivals
* For the love of Arceus please tell me they'll explore the Mirror World more. I don't care if it's some obscure Japanese movie short, I want it!

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
This episode sounds really interesting (I've read about it on Bulbapedia), but I don't think there's any way for me to watch this legally yet, not to mention that I only watch dubs unless it's AnoHana *killed by elitists*, so... =P

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
For the love of Arceus please tell me they'll explore the Mirror World more. I don't care if it's some obscure Japanese movie short, I want it!
Agreed, if there was ever a time for a multi part episode than this would have been it. On the other hand, getting the gang mixed up in some alternate reality hijinks runs the risk of causing mass confusion and complications. (fun as it would be to watch)

I might have imagined it but was mirror Clemont acting like Sonic the hedgehog for a minute? That was way too freaky to be a coincidence!

According to the legend, Team Rocket appears to be trapped in the mirror world forever. Oh well.
(I want to see how they get out, aargh!)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I watched this episode dubbed this morning because I simply wanted to hear Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena in mirror form. Not bad I guess. I don't watch the dub often so their voices I'm not super familiar with. But I did like bully Serena being prideful of her strength. If only...oh never mind. Glad I saw this episode dubbed.

waterfairytrainer

I watched this episode dubbed this morning because I simply wanted to hear Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena in mirror form. Not bad I guess. I don't watch the dub often so their voices I'm not super familiar with. But I did like bully Serena being prideful of her strength. If only...oh never mind. Glad I saw this episode dubbed.
I watched dubbed and subbed, but in the dub voices didn't change much. Bonnie pretty much talked in a different way but not necessarily a different voice, same with Serena, but it seemed like she was yelling the whole time.This episode made me laugh since seeing all the mirror people so opposite from the others and mirror team rocket. I would have liked to see more of mirror team rocket. This did have a lot more potential and I am hoping they return to the mirror world at some point.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
A good episode to me. ...So, was Clemont really trying to make magic with his own device? I wonder if he even has tested all of his gadgets out.

Serena: Ash, will we stay with you in your journey?

Ash: Yeah, until the league finishes and I have to leave the region and leave you guys behind in favor of the next new deals.

Last edited:

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Wait, there's a dub of this episode now? Where can I watch this legally?