• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cave of Trials (834)

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Not bad of an episode. The music was nice for the dub, especially.

Korrina's voice is still growing on me. I can definitely differentiate Jason Griffith's voice from his more familiar roles. Although I get the feeling I have hear his voice for Gurkinn somewhere else before.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I didn't like Korrina in the games that much. If you think about a "Mega Evolution Successor" you'd assume it be some wise old person, but no, it's a punk skater. The anime made it so much worse in my opinion. Between her voice actress and the way they wrote her, she's like a spoiled child, not to mention the voice is just obnoxious.

I've never so strongly disagreed about a voice actor in anything before now.

On the bright side, the Lucario vs. Blaziken was one of the better battles in X and Y.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was a pretty good episode. It was very enjoyable.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
I'm behind, time to catch up.

So the first half of the episode is all about arriving in Geosenge Town and searching for Lucarionite and again Serena is focused on, cherishing her photo. The episode really gets going once we go in the cave and the battle commences. I thought it was a nice battle, plenty of action and I like how they don't mention Lucario using moves on it's own, leaving the viewer to notice (if at all). What I find interesting is that Korrina doesn't seem concerned about this and I think it could be her downfall (Clemont knows best after all).

Good episode, onto the next one!

Metal Sound! That was the fourth move!

I was thinking that maybe that guy we saw a few times with the Mega Blaziken was going to be shown to own the Blaziken we saw in this episode. Disappointingly, no.

Pikachu52

Haha! This episode really shows that Serena has a lot of developing to do. c:

Korrina shines as a character. The battles are so great this season~

Well Serena didn't do anything in the episode except get scared by McGinty's description of the cave (well I guess it sounded a little scary with the scottish accent), slide close to Ash in the photo (which Ash didn't notice) and almost get roped into buying a set of stones from a store (distracting her from what she was actually supposed to be doing).

I liked Korrina and Lucario's battle with Blaziken - it certainly brought out how close they are to each other and their determination to get the stone.

I don't see what was gained by the grandfather hidding the mega stone in the cave and setting his blaziken to attack Lucario - does he not approve of his granddaughter's boyfriend!!! Seriously though why the theatrics - He could have just challenged her normally if he wanted them to prove themselves. Also what's so special about that blaziken - Why does beating it entitle you to a mega stone.

It's a decent episode. Worth I think 7/10

Last edited:

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
The Cave of Trials continues on with Korrina's quest to find the Lucarionite to Mega Evolve her Lucario. With no luck finding it in the shops in Geosenge Town, Korrina + Ash & Co. are led up to the mountain and into a deep, dark cave, where apparently horrible things are waiting for those not worthy. It is a solid episode containing everything a viewer could ask for: progress, battling, humor, very little Team Rocket, and even some AmourShipping. Lucario vs. Blaziken is a cool battle, but after getting trounced from the get-go Lucario makes an overly-easy comeback. The animation throughout the episode was great, and the little sound effect and tiny animations details definitely add a lot to the episode's entertainment value. We get a little bit of every character in this episode, with Korrina and Ash's similar emphases of determination and never giving up, Clemont's awkwardness around the camera, and Serena's interest in jewelry and, of course, Ash. We actually get a lot of Serena for such a Korrina-focused installment, from her fearfulness of the terrors lying within the cave to three separate instances of AmourShipping: sliding up closer to Ash for the picture (a subtle but very nice touch), admiring and blushing at the photo afterward, and keeping close to Ash before walking into the cave. Like I've said in previous reviews, I think shipping adds a lot enjoyment to a show that rarely deals with romance; AmourShipping is a smaller but still significant plot line for the saga.

Overall, an enjoyable episode. It was odd to see the episode end on a Mega Evolution cliffhanger, but I guess it just adds some anticipation for next week's installment.

Grade: B+

*Frank*

Acquiring Mega Evolution in the games is not as hard as you think. People just hand you over the stuff required, you can find the the stones lying on routes randomly at night, etc. But yeah, enough of that. This is set in a different universe whatsoever. Anyway, the reason I said that because it is why I liked the anime's depiction of the said form. How they made the Mega Evolution mechanic more difficult -- more believable in a way that you have to use your brain in order to overcome the trial for it. And the fact that your Pokémon can only be the one to find it.

A good episode, all in all.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I found the episode kind of boring frankly until the battle between lucario and blaziken. That was one heck of a battle, and I liked the way lucario pinned blaziken down with multiple bone clubs to take away its advantage. I also liked Team Rocket doing a pretty good trick for a change to get ahead of the twerps.

6/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked seeing all the pretty stones in Geosenge town, plus the group photo ended up being cute hee hee. I liked seeing Clemont use his flashlight extension and Gurkinn testing Lucario with Blaziken was cool. :D

Leonhart

Imagineer
Given what lies beneath Sekitai Town in the X/Y games, I expected some Flare-dan foreshadowing in this episode, but instead we got Corni focus. Of course, I liked seeing Corni's trial inside the cave as she fought Concombre's Bursyamo for the Lucarionite, and I also liked how Serena moved close to Satoshi for the photo.

Seeing Korrina face off against Blaziken in the cavern made me think it was Clemont's dad's Blaziken at first which would've been a cool twist.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Seeing Korrina face off against Blaziken in the cavern made me think it was Clemont's dad's Blaziken at first which would've been a cool twist.

Bursyamo hypothetically being Limone's could've at least linked Corni's development with Citron's, but I was glad that it was Concombre's Bursyamo all along since that made more sense without being convoluted.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I'd love to see Blaziken in Smash Ultimate (if not in the base game, as DLC then) so I could have a Lucario-Blaziken battle in that game

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Great episode. It was cool to see Lucario sense that the Lucarionite was in the cave. The battle against Blaziken was intense, and I liked seeing Ash act mature and cool and telling Serena it was Korrina's battle. I didn't like how Clemont used his invention to light up the cave, and I'd have preferred to see Dedenne learn Flash instead.
9/10

RafaSceptile

Reviewing the Pokémon anime in 10 words or less:
"Great battle and great development for Korrina"

Episode: 9/10