• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The change in when evolutions happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSDark

Breeder
Here is my theory on why most of ash's pokemon are now evolving during battles with gym leaders. In previous season most of ash's pokemon and his friends pokemon evolved while battling Team Rocket's pokemon or their crazy mechas. In best wishes Team Rocket hasn't been around so the writers needed to find another way to have ash's pokemon evolve. So the only other option is gym leaders.

Haunter ゴースト

Nah, evolutions have happened in Gyms before, it's simply a style the writers like to do and think will suit well for the situation.

p.s. if your judging this from the BW070 preview, we don't know if Tranquil will evolve after the battle yet, I assume it'll be against Swanna but you can't confirm it until it airs.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Nah, evolutions have happened in Gyms before, it's simply a style the writers like to do and think will suit well for the situation.

p.s. if your judging this from the BW070 preview, we don't know if Tranquil will evolve after the battle yet, I assume it'll be against Swanna but you can't confirm it until it airs.

Who evolved in a gym battle, pre-Isshu, if I may ask? Since I can't remember any... Because none did ever before.

It's one thing to do something unprecedented, but to do it in half the gyms in a region is too much.

And the original post is also wrong, not all pokemon evolved against TR and their mecha's. A lot did, but especially in DP, and AG even a bit, Ash pokemon evolved against rivals:

AG:
- Treecko evolved in a rivalrous battle against a Loudred which also evolved.
- Grovyle evolved in a battle for a Meganium, in which a Tropius was his rival for her love.
- Glalie evolved against TR iirc.
- Swellow evolved in the Pokéringer?
- Donphan evolved against TR.

DP:
- Starly evolved against TR
- Staraptor against Paul
- Grotle against Paul
- Gligar evolved to save Ash from falling
- Chimchar against Paul
- Monferno against TR-mecha falling ontop of Electabuzz
- Cyndaquill against TR-mecha

So roughly only half of those were TR induced. So we already saw a decline in their need to be present for an evolution to happen.

STICKTOPIA

Here is my theory on why most of ash's pokemon are now evolving during battles with gym leaders. In previous season most of ash's pokemon and his friends pokemon evolved while battling Team Rocket's pokemon or their crazy mechas. In best wishes Team Rocket hasn't been around so the writers needed to find another way to have ash's pokemon evolve. So the only other option is gym leaders.
You're right to an extent about that because the majority of his pokemon evolved against TR. I never even realized that. It doesn't necessarily have to be only gyms but I understand since this is how it's happening so far.

Sewaddle is his first pokemon to evolve in a gym bro.

Who evolved in a gym battle, pre-Isshu, if I may ask? Since I can't remember any... Because none did ever before.

It's one thing to do something unprecedented, but to do it in half the gyms in a region is too much.

And the original post is also wrong, not all pokemon evolved against TR and their mecha's. A lot did, but especially in DP, and AG even a bit, Ash pokemon evolved against rivals:

AG:
- Grovyle evolved in a battle for a Meganium, in which a Tropius was his rival for her love.
- Swellow evolved in the Pokéringer?

DP:
- Staraptor against Paul
- Grotle against Paul
- Gligar evolved to save Ash from falling
- Chimchar against Paul
- Cyndaquill against TR-mecha

So roughly only half of those were TR induced. So we already saw a decline in their need to be present for an evolution to happen.
Grovyle evolved against TR when they took Meganium and Tropius.

ThunderPuncher

Electrifying!

Gym Leaders aren't the only other option, there's Rival battles, tournaments, or having them evolve under tough circumstances to overcome something.

I honestly hope the writers change up how Ash's Pokemon evolve, I don't want the whole Gym Leader thing to become a trend.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.

I don't think he meant Ash's Pokemon..... We've had 2 occasions I believe where a Pokemon evolved in a gym battle: I guess Koga's Venonat, & most definitely Brawly's Makuhita.

sSerenity

AG:
- Grovyle evolved in a battle for a Meganium, in which a Tropius was his rival for her love. -> Tropius was attacked by TR
- Swellow evolved in the Pokéringer? Against James and Dustox !!!

DP:
- Staraptor against Paul
- Grotle against Paul -> False, it was Turtwig. Grotle evolves against TR in Sunyshore
- Gligar evolved to save Ash from falling -> After problem with TR
- Chimchar against Paul
- Cyndaquill against TR-mecha.

AG : 80% TR involved
DP : 62,5% TR involved

BW ? No active TR -> Gym leaders remplace it for evolutions (But I want evolutions against rivals / friends too)

thunderblade12

Three pokemon evolved against gym leaders the same way three evolved against Paul in Sinnoh. I expect Oshawott or Snivy (or both) to evolve against Trip...

Haunter ゴースト

Who evolved in a gym battle, pre-Isshu, if I may ask? Since I can't remember any... Because none did ever before

Sewaddle is his first pokemon to evolve in a gym bro.

I should have worded what I said better, I meant in general, not specifically Ash's.

KibaLG8 listed the evolutions.

I don't think he meant Ash's Pokemon..... We've had 2 occasions I believe where a Pokemon evolved in a gym battle: I guess Koga's Venonat, & most definitely Brawly's Makuhita.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
While not the only other option, it is the most convenient. Either way, no complaints from me.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
It annoys me when it's a blatant deus ex machina. Sewaddle was fine because you could understand Ash using it; it was its gym debut, it had a relationship with Burgh, Tepig was down in bug-type gym, and it was up against a Dwebble against whom grass attacks are neutral. It made sense, and it evolved AFTER the battle, not during. Roggenrola... I just can't even understand why Ash would choose a barely-trained Roggenrola against an Excadrill. It had no moves with a type advantage, it had a hefty disadvantage, and it's tiny! Despite its good defences, Excadrill is an offensive powerhouse. Ash had access to other pokemon who would be viable choices (most notably Palpitoad) but instead he picked Roggenrola, who survived an unrealistic number of hits, evolved mid-battle, learned an attack with a type advantage that the species doesn't naturally learn, and proceeds to defeat Excadrill. That, my friends, is cheap!
The evolutions against Paul in DP all made sense in some way. Chimchar's evolutions shouldn't have to be explained; of course Paul should be present for both evolutions because Chimchar is pivotal to the entire rival plot. Turtwig's evolution against Honchkrow (which still resulted in a loss) coincided with Paul's Torterra helping Grotle with its new body. That was a smart move on the whole. Staraptor's evolution was admittedly a rehash of Swellow's, but it was up against Paul's Honchkrow and it was the right time for Staravia to evolve. It had been there for a hundred episodes.

Haunter ゴースト

I don't mind them happening, the only thing that does annoy me is the after thoughts of everybody saying 'the only reason he won was because ---- evolved'.

The way I see it, the battle is unfair if the Gym Leader has an evolved Pokemon and Ash doesn't, if Ash's Pokemon evolves it makes it fair imo.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I don't mind them happening, the only thing that does annoy me is the after thoughts of everybody saying 'the only reason he won was because ---- evolved'.

The way I see it, the battle is unfair if the Gym Leader has an evolved Pokemon and Ash doesn't, if Ash's Pokemon evolves it makes it fair imo.
Don't get me wrong, but when everyone says that, their correct, well, at least Boldore anyway. And since we can assume Tranquil is Ash's final pokemon to face Swanna, it evolving again makes that statement correct.

Except Ash is using two(three if you think Pikachu evolved from a Pichu) evolved Pokemon against Skyla, who has three evolved Pokemon (two of them only being Stage 1 evolutions) so technically, Tranquil doesn't need to evolve in the gym, the writers just feel like giving Ash the victory for two reasons, to prove Skyla wrong and to have Ash get his badge with his DEM bird who will have awesome stamina in the gym, then slowly lose said stamina and barely be able to take hits in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.