• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Chess Discussion

Scaldaver

Limitless
Hey, I've recently started to play chess, and I'm wondering what the best openings are, good positions, etc. This is a good opportunity to discuss the best strategies and ideas.

The only proper opening I know is the Ruy Lopez (1. e4 2. Nf3 3. Bb5) any thought and opinions, and counter moves for black?

Note: Please, when referring to a particular scenario, especially in openings, try to explain the moves it took to get there. Use standard notation:

Knight = N
Bishop = B
Queen = Q
King = K
Rook = R

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
First thing to know about chess: he who controls the middle wins games (unless they make a stupid mistake). Generally, you use the pawn on (geez it's been forever since I last played chess) F4 or something like that to take control of the middle.

From there, proceed to get your King protected by using a technique called "Castling," which is where the Rook and King switch places so that the King is safe.

In order to do that, there has to be a clear path to the King, with the Bishop and Knight on different squares.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I am too impatient to play chess

facetious

facetious
I doubt anybody here has the keen intellect required to excel at chess, hence why they've all resorted to silly Pokemon games.

I love chess and currently enjoy a 2720-321-156 (W-L-D) record on Yahoo! ^___^

Last edited:

Indigoodra

I doubt anybody here has the keen intellect required to excel at chess, hence why they've all resorted to silly Pokemon games.

.____.

I play chess...

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
For me, I have several good tips that help you to win a game. They have made me win 9/10 games.

1. First off, study the pieces, and make sure you know what they all do and are capable of.
2. Try putting your Pawns out first, and in a diagonal line. That way, only Bishops can really get through without being taken.
3. Work to cover each of your pieces with another. Make sure that if your opponent takes one of your pieces, then you can take his.
4. If you ever have the chance to take a piece without losing yours, do it. It's one less piece that you have to worry about later.
5. Plan ahead. Look ahead of the game to see possible moves, options, and how to avoid dangerous paths that can be taken if you don't play your cards right.

I'm one of the top guys in my school. I know how to play. I've got them movers like Jagger ;)

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
If you are starting out I would suggest giuoco piano it's relatively easy to memorize 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 and play on from there, also my favorite opening as white is the king's indian defense 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. ef d6. But it takes more skills to pull this one off. Another one that's easy for white and black is the ruy lopez, it's 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. b5. For black I would suggest for you to try the slov or the semi slov, I personally play the accelerated dragon and the hyper accelerated dragon but I would suggest you try alelekines defense 1 e4 Nf6. Try chess tempo it's a great website.

Last edited:

SmeargleArtist

I see dead people
I loooove chess, it suits my slow and steady wins the race attitude. Althought i have no idea about proper chess moves or whatever, i just plan ahead like 30 moves :3
My school has has no chess club :'(
I'm such a nerd i've got a lord of the rings special edition chess set :p

Last edited:

Ludwig

If you are starting out I would suggest giuoco piano it's relatively easy to memorize 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 and play on from there, also my favorite opening as white is the king's indian defense 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. ef d6. But it takes more skills to pull this one off. Another one that's easy for white and black is the ruy lopez, it's 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. b5. For black I would suggest for you to try the slov or the semi slov, I personally play the accelerated dragon and the hyper accelerated dragon but I would suggest you try alelekines defense 1 e4 Nf6. Try chess tempo it's a great website.

Another opening to recommend for beginners is the London system. The basic setup is: http://oi44.*******.com/2duduzd.jpg
I may not have played ideal when reaching that position because my goal was to show how the white pieces should be placed, in which order they should be moved depends on what the opponent does. How the black pieces are placed in that picture should be ignored. The London system does not encourage early castling, if at all. Most pieces are at the middle of the board, making it the safest place until they move. The major weaknesses are the e4 square and b2 square, that could be attacked by knight and queen respectively.

Manaphione123

Merely A Puppet
There's a bloody chess discussion?! I just ejaculated. All over my computer.

Anyways, I play at school and against my family. Whilst I don't use any proper plays such as the ones you guys have been describing, I'm still pretty decent and win quite a lot of my games. I know things like castling and en passant, which makes me one of the most knowledgable out of my group, and I know that he who owns the middle, owns the game.

Matstrenet

after a while, you might want to try a queen pawn opening such as the Queens Gambit, its a bit of a gamble, as it leaves the board cramped and untidy most of the time, but can pay of if you have enough foresight. the queens gambit is . 1. d4 d5 2. c4 then there is the accepted varient, if black play c4 then straight away play e4 as it gives you a pawn wall right in the centre of the board. if black plays something like Nc6 then respond with Nf4, which also gives you the option of a really good castling defense if it plays out and you can move your king side bishop by turn 5.

btw my international chess Ranking is 1500

Last edited: