• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Clannad/Clannad AS thread

absolalone111

There seems to be a distinct lack of clannad here, so I thought I'd change that. Clannad and Clannad AS rank very highly on my list of anime that other people should see, it's superb story telling, memorable characters and heart wrenching story is unforgettable. For anyone out there who hasn't seen it, you really should, for anyone who has, come and share your thoughts on it. Tissues will be provided.

[sp]spoiler tag test[/sp]
spoiler tag test
spoiler tag test

It seems that spoiler tags here are hella different to any other VB forum I've used, just remember to spoiler tag stuff. It would be even better if the title of the spoiler could show what episode, and what season you're on, so someone doesn't accidentally ruin something for themselves.

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
This link will explain all the tags you can use on this forum (basically, use [spoil] for non-specific spoilers and
for specific ones): http://www.serebiiforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode.

Clannad is actually one of the only non-airing series that gets a popular topic every once in a while here (there was one than went on for 11 pages last year). It's definitely a fine series, especially when it focuses on Tomoya, Nagisa and their respective family issues. And the series packs such as emotional punch in places that it makes the weaker episodes easy to ignore (I wasn't wild about some of the first half of After Story, but the series is still in my top 4). Episode 18 of Clannad After Story remains the only anime episode ever to make me cry (even upon rewatching!).

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
The problem with series that have finished airing is that the discussions seems to die down pretty fast, that is of course assuming they actually get started in the first place.

That aside, Clannad is a great series, definitely one of my favourites. I recommend at least trying out the VN if you loved the series, as there is so much extra content to go through.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
CLANNAD is in my top three anime, if not number one, that's how much I love it, and how much it left an impact on me (as some of you probably know from the previous CLANNAD thread). I'm kinda sad it's still not as recognized everywhere, but I'm happy it's gaining more viewers. I actually introduced the show to a couple of students at school and here, though I haven't heard back from most of them about what they think of it. One got the first several episodes off iTunes last I talked to him about it, and he was liking it. One member here who I introduced it to kept me informed on his watching process, and he loved it.

Heh, I'm still in the CLANNAD mood despite not having watched it in a while. Then again, I've been getting back into the visual novel (again, because I'm poor and a Mac user, I found YouTube videos 83), so that's helped. That, and the music still makes me very emotional to this day, and I play it almost every morning when I'm getting ready to go to class. Every time I think of the Big Dango Family, I get that happy-sad feeling inside.

Speaking of which, I'm actually making plans to have my future wedding be CLANNAD-themed in a way (I'm not crazy, don't judge me!). Like the wedding invitation will have dangos on it, and I want the wedding toppers to be dangos with other little dangos scattered throughout the cake :3 (otherwise I might just stick with Pokémon, I dunno). I also want to sing "Dango Daikazoku" at some point during the wedding reception (possibly both my future husband and I), and everyone attending will sing during the chorus. Everyone. I am willing to put together a video for that occasion so they can have a sing-along.

*deep breath*

Quick question: couldn't this thread be for all of the Key Visual Arts and not just CLANNAD? I'm sure we could get a bit more of a discussion that way (especially since I have watched Angel Beats!, and am starting Kanon '06).

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Clannad After Story takes my #2 favourite anime spot and I can see it staying there for some time. Nothing but love for that series.

The problem with series that have finished airing is that the discussions seems to die down pretty fast, that is of course assuming they actually get started in the first place.

That aside, Clannad is a great series, definitely one of my favourites. I recommend at least trying out the VN if you loved the series, as there is so much extra content to go through.

Pretty much everything Jolteon91 said. I'm planning to play the VN sometime, probably in the summer when I don't have school.

Quick question: couldn't this thread be for all of the Key Visual Arts and not just CLANNAD? I'm sure we could get a bit more of a discussion that way (especially since I have watched Angel Beats!, and am starting Kanon '06).

I agree, a Key thread would probably last longer.

absolalone111

CLANNAD is in my top three anime, if not number one, that's how much I love it, and how much it left an impact on me (as some of you probably know from the previous CLANNAD thread). I'm kinda sad it's still not as recognized everywhere, but I'm happy it's gaining more viewers. I actually introduced the show to a couple of students at school and here, though I haven't heard back from most of them about what they think of it. One got the first several episodes off iTunes last I talked to him about it, and he was liking it. One member here who I introduced it to kept me informed on his watching process, and he loved it.
I've actually got a friend of mine interested in Clannad, he's usually more of a western comics guy, big fan of marvel. I reccemonded that he watched Clannad and a few other of my faves when he asked me about anime, said he was interested so I gave him a few pointers.

That, and the music still makes me very emotional to this day, and I play it almost every morning when I'm getting ready to go to class. Every time I think of the Big Dango Family, I get that happy-sad feeling inside.
I tried to learn Dango Daikazoku on piano a while back. I had to stop because of my tears on the keys, apart from the emotional side of things, it's pretty impractical, and difficult to play a wet keyboard.
If you like, that would probably attract more attention anyway. I never really did visual novels, there was one that I read through, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those things I can't mention here. I was planning on checking out the Clannad VN or VNs as it may be (I really don't know) I was also planning on watching Kanon, whichever version isn't the terrible one.

AyameTori

solitude sometimes is best society
I will forever love CLANNAD, I am in a relationship, with it, I watched it today on VALENTINES DAY. i watched my favorite episode, the Kyou Arc one, that would be awesom if the made a second After Story and used Kyou Fujibayashi, Fave Character Eva

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
I will forever love CLANNAD, I am in a relationship, with it, I watched it today on VALENTINES DAY. i watched my favorite episode, the Kyou Arc one, that would be awesom if the made a second After Story and used Kyou Fujibayashi, Fave Character Eva

This guy has great taste, unlike some people who think Tomoyo is better.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'll be honest with you: while Kyou's arc is good, I felt it wasn't very satisfying enough, like everything got resolved too quickly. Because honestly, I cried at the end of Tomoyo's arc than I did with Kyou's arc. *shrugs* Besides, I would have Tomoya go with Kotomi if I could choose another girl besides Nagisa.

You know, I kinda wish they managed to fit Kappei Hiiragi into the anime, because his arc was really good. Despite sadly being spoiled about his character, I still cried at the end of his arc, it had a nice ending. But hey, I'm happy they made Yukine's arc in the anime much better than what was in the visual novel. I was pretty disappointed with her arc in the visual novel, I could see why they demoted her to a secondary character.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
One of the best thing's about Kappei is that when he marries Ryou, she would be Ryou Hiiragi.

I think there's a joke in there, but I'm not sure. I just know it was really sad and heart-warming. "Even if you lose your leg, you'll still have arms to hug me."

OH MY GOD THE TEARS

I Like Pie!

Smile smile smile!
Clannad is, in two simple words, an 'emotional masterpiece'.

Even after writing a review on the series, I believe I have yet to comprehend just how amazing this show is, and just what it exemplifies.
Anyone who is a human being should watch Clannad/ Clannad After Story. And if you don't cry watching it, then there's something wrong with you.

Nagisa and Tomoya. Best couple I have seen anywhere. :3

PokeMaster366

Clannad is, in two simple words, an 'emotional masterpiece'.

Even after writing a review on the series, I believe I have yet to comprehend just how amazing this show is, and just what it exemplifies.
Anyone who is a human being should watch Clannad/ Clannad After Story. And if you don't cry watching it, then there's something wrong with you.

Nagisa and Tomoya. Best couple I have seen anywhere. :3

If by best couple, you mean the couple that will produce the most positive outcome, then yes. Going from the perspective of the visual novel and a manga or two, Tomoya x Tomoyo is the most tragic, Tomoya x Kotomi is the most classic (or cliche, whichever comes to your mind), and Tomoya x Kyou is the most relateable (You'll find it very easy to put yourself in Tomoya's shoes when playing through the Kyou route or watching her OVA). I still like the Nagisa route, and if I had to label it, I would view it as the best emotional roller coaster.

DarkManager

Toxic Trainer
Wow, a clannad thread.

Well, I didn't watch the anime yet, but I played the visual novel.
So what I have to say about Clannad:

I'm a NagisaHater.
I hate with all my heart that little retard moeblob.
A friend of my said to me Nagisa is less retard and annoying in the anime, but I already played the VN so I can't anymore stop hate her.

IMO, Nagisa is the worst heroine in a KeyGame. ♥

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Can you explain why you don't like Nagisa? I thought she was an okay character. Not the best, but what they did with her was tolerable. I can see why someone would see some Mary-Sue traits in her, but after a couple of viewings, I didn't mind her. I actually saw my mom in her around the second time around, so she grew onto me. My grandmother likes Nagisa, since she can relate to her the most out of the other characters, and my mom doesn't mind her. Dad wondered a lot about why it was Tomoya cried quite a bit, but... meh.

Not saying that you're wrong, I'm just really curious as to why you really don't like Nagisa outside of the fact that she's annoying/an airhead.

DarkManager

Toxic Trainer
Can you explain why you don't like Nagisa? I thought she was an okay character. Not the best, but what they did with her was tolerable. I can see why someone would see some Mary-Sue traits in her, but after a couple of viewings, I didn't mind her. I actually saw my mom in her around the second time around, so she grew onto me. My grandmother likes Nagisa, since she can relate to her the most out of the other characters, and my mom doesn't mind her. Dad wondered a lot about why it was Tomoya cried quite a bit, but... meh.

Not saying that you're wrong, I'm just really curious as to why you really don't like Nagisa outside of the fact that she's annoying/an airhead.

Nagisa have all the trait that I hate in the heroines from Keygame.
They are passive, stupid, innocent and, the worst, moeblob.
Nagisa have all multiplied 10 times.

But like I said. Who maybe only watched the anime, probably never will see that.
Kyoani make her more tolerable in the adaptation.

absolalone111

So I started watching Kannon, the good one, and it is indeed good. It feels like a visual novel, the way it's shot, the way the music sounds, and works. Not saying that's a bad thing, I think it's pretty cool actually. Not getting the same sort of emotional side of things as clannad. Take the bit where
when tomoyo or whatever her name is dies, I wasn't sad, no tears no anything. I thought "Damn, that must be rough, having to watch your friend go through that" but I never really cared. What made it worse was when she was going to die, and you kept on seeing her face was "Dude, she looks so ****ing high" and I started laughing.
I guess I'm just a terrible person.