• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cleffa That Became a Star! (1172)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I don’t know why JN drops the COTD and just have more recurring characters like every other anime.
Too bad they didn't have cotds from the past series return, particularly the ones from the first series as they were the most memorable ones.
Much better than continually creating cotds that no one really cares about.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Eh, SM may or may have been heavy on storytelling, but it didn't help most of those episodes wouldn't look out of place for COTDs instead of the absurd amount of recurring characters. In other words, the episodes were still expendable because their plots would get forgotten by the next episode.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Too bad they didn't have cotds from the past series return, particularly the ones from the first series as they were the most memorable ones.
Much better than continually creating cotds that no one really cares about.
I think there are a lot of good COTD and short-term recurring characters that should have come back in JN. They should have definitely brought back Giselle as one of Ash’s PWC competitors…

I don’t know why JN drops the COTD and just have more recurring characters like every other anime.
The multi-region thing might make that harder since the reasons they go to each region change with each trip. So having the same recurring characters showing up every time wouldn’t be believable.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Some behind-the-scenes comments from Tomo Sakurai about this episode, posting them here for those that didn't see them:
(check the preview threads for the Winter arc episodes for the full interview)

Q: This is Shirona's first appearance in quite a while. How did you react when you first learned it was happening?
Sakurai: The thing is, I play Koharu's mother Yoshino in the Pocket Monsters TV series, so I learned it from a staff member one day after the dubbing session had concluded. I had abolutely no idea she was going to appear in the show, so I practically screamed with surprise (laughs). Shirona is calm and collected, inquisitive, cultured and good looking... She's pretty much my exact opposite, but she's still a woman I really love and admire. I'm so happy I'm playing her again.

Q: What was your impression of Shirona the way she's portrayed in this return appearance?
Sakurai: It's the exact same as it was of the way she was portrayed in Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl and Pocket Monsters Best Wishes! Both her choice of words and her delivery are those of the old Shirona we know and love. She's always calm and collected and never gets agitated no matter what, though I think of her as someone that has a burning passion in her heart that she never reveals.

Q: Is there something you were especially conscious of when you played Shirona this time around?
Sakurai: I showed up to the dubbing session having reviewed earlier appearances of the character, but when I acted the first line and felt it sounded the way it should, the sound director corrected my delivery. "Shirona sounds younger than that", he said, "This is Shirona the Champion! Try playing her as more composed." This made me realize how excited I was to be young again, or in other words, to get to be reunited with Shirona. From that point on I was very conscious of playing her as more composed. I especially found the scenes where Shirona, who's an archeologist, explains something about Pokémon based in her deep knowledge to be a bit difficult to do, since they required me to play her as sounding educated (laughs).

Q: Were there any scenes that truly made you feel that THIS is Shirona?
Sakurai: That definitely has to be when Shirona sent out her Partner Pokémon Gablias. She called out moves, going "Scale Shot!", "Sandstorm!", and then following it up by shouting "Tenku ni mae, Gablias!" in a really cool manner. It made me really excited, truly sensing that Shirona was fighting alongside Gablias. And then the sound director called for a retake, telling me to deliver the lines a bit calmer this time around (laughs).

Q: It's been a while since your last battle scene, what did you think of this one?
Sakurai: There was no battle between Trainers in this episode, but the battle that was there truly made me feel that Gablias is Shirona's most dependable partner. Shirona also observes her opponent very closely and uses clever fighting styles that she varies according to who she's fighting; She has a very strong desire to research and learn about all kinds of Pokémon, but this desire is also filled with a deep love. While she may not look that way at first because of her composed and collected demeanor, there's all kinds of scenes that made me realize that she approaches absolutely every single Pokémon with love.

Q: Who did you have your dubbing session with?
Sakurai: With (Daiki) Yamashita-san, who plays Go. Satoshi's voice actress Rica Matsumoto-san was there as well, though not in the same booth as us, so I got to perform my lines while listening to Satoshi's voice. It's really been ages since I last saw Matsumoto-san, so I went over to her booth to say hi, and she gave me the biggest smile as she thought back to our shared history. That smile made me so happy and truly made me feel like I had come to "Pokémon", so I really felt at ease throughout the session. The story Shirona appeared in this time was a wonderful tale depicting the bond between people and Pokémon, so I was able to put this sense of hearing the cast's sobbing and beating hearts into my delivery!

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The Master Class will showcase more of Cynthia so I really was not interested at all in Cynthia's appearence, she is just very popular to appear randomly
Yeah I didn’t expect her to get some ultra deep focus prior to her MC debut nor does it bother me but it’s funny in retrospect as a lot of people were constant saying things along the lines of “she’s obviously getting focus later this year so be patient!!!!”.

D

Deleted member 384931

Yeah I didn’t expect her to get some ultra deep focus prior to her MC debut nor does it bother me but it’s funny in retrospect as a lot of people were constant saying things along the lines of “she’s obviously getting focus later this year so be patient!!!!”.
Tho she is already the only Champion who appears in three series.

D

Deleted member 384931

Hope Lance returns for the last battle of Hyper Class or the start of the Master Class
Hmm it is hard to see what non-battle situation I can see Lance in. There is only one and unlikely to happen: take down Team Rocket for good.

RafaSceptile

Hmm it is hard to see what non-battle situation I can see Lance in. There is only one and unlikely to happen: take down Team Rocket for good.
If we had Leon and Raihan on a baking contest we can get Lance on whatever the writers want him to do, but I don't think he is that popular to have a chance outside of battling

D

Deleted member 384931

If we had Leon and Raihan on a baking contest we can get Lance on whatever the writers want him to do, but I don't think he is that popular to have a chance outside of battling
I know right lol! It is a shame. Lance is a difficult character to find a fitting story for. Steven, Diantha, Cynthia are so much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 384931

Maybe it had to do with frlg promotion to bring him back? They really promoted the heck out of them since we got the battle frontier in kanto and all.
It makes Steven look like a noob. I get Lance is from the G-men but still.
Me neither especially when Steven was introduced earlier in the season and Rayquaza, the Pokémon whose entire existence is dedicated to stopping Kyogre & Groudon from fighting, just didn’t show up.
It was really weird tho.