• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cleffa That Became a Star! (1172)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Looking back at this episode for when people said that the winter two parter would showcase more of Cynthia yet somehow she did less there than in this episode.
Lmao I respect this dig :p
But I still kinda stand by what i said regarding the criticism of Cynthia this episode. Like the winter special still showed her interest in sinnoh mythology and knowledge, and showed another mon of hers as they tease her team. It's clear that they will build her up more and more and she would appear later too even before the master class finale with her. So her treatment this episode was just right in my opinion, especially with how good the rest of the episode was imo

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Lmao I respect this dig :p
But I still kinda stand by what i said regarding the criticism of Cynthia this episode. Like the winter special still showed her interest in sinnoh mythology and knowledge, and showed another mon of hers as they tease her team. It's clear that they will build her up more and more and she would appear later too even before the master class finale with her. So her treatment this episode was just right in my opinion, especially with how good the rest of the episode was imo
Nothing personal and tbf you weren’t the only person lol. I’m fine with them dedicating the obligatory Sinnoh promotion on other aspects of her character besides being Sinnoh’s Champion but I still stand by what I said with not liking the way this episode reintroduced her into the show. This episode wasn’t bad though I agree and it at least let me have my expectations for the winter special as low as possible.

D

Deleted member 384931

Nothing personal and tbf you weren’t the only person lol. I’m fine with them dedicating the obligatory Sinnoh promotion on other aspects of her character besides being Sinnoh’s Champion but I still stand by what I said with not liking the way this episode reintroduced her into the show. This episode wasn’t bad though I agree and it at least let me have my expectations for the winter special as low as possible.
Oh I get want you mean, the episode wasnt bad . A Cynthia return episode should have a plot where she shows why she is the Champ of Sinnoh. The BW episode where she first return had an explination as Sinnoh Champion due the Junior Cup. Now it is just cause she "researches ruins". It isnt wrong by any means, it still fits her, but makes her less interesting compared to her debut episode in Sinnoh while she wiped the Floor with Paul ànd visited ruins.

Starswirl Pikachu

I'm not opposed to a Cleffa themed episode. Through unknown powers, an entire region is thrown into never ending darkness! It would be something like a whimsical dream for people who really like night time but the side effects of no sun would probably add up to be bad eventually. Maybe it could be said that the Unown don't get enough attention but they also only have minimal battle skills so keeping them mysterious makes sense. Good on Goh for a Johto capture. Cynthia says hi, as we get to see one of her pokemon team in action once again.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Woah hello? Why was this episode actually so good? Pokemon has never shied away from darker storylines and aspects but I do think in recent years, particularly SM, they’ve been much more comfortable portraying themes dealing with death and grief. No sugarcoating it either: things like this, the Mallow episode, and the Dia 2-parter are all very frank and well-done in their execution.

What a strange little episode. By that I mean I really liked it, but huh. This bigger plot with Kirara and then the Cynthia encounter mirroring the HGSS event feel like they should be jarring but they’re not, surprisingly the episodes flows as well as it could’ve. The Unknown banding together to help Kirara and all the illusions they created was lifted straight out of Movie 3; it was good to see them in action again, the last time they were part of the plot was in the Team Galactic arc. Cynthia being there as an archaeologist first and foremost but still getting to show off her Champion strength was a great way to showcase her it was giving Volo. Granted, not for very long, but Cynthia gets a ton to do in JN anyways.

Kirara parting with Cleffa for the last time nearly got a tear out of me, I can’t lie. That kind of emotional response coming from such an unexpected episode means the writers did a genuinely great job here

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Woah hello? Why was this episode actually so good? Pokemon has never shied away from darker storylines and aspects but I do think in recent years, particularly SM, they’ve been much more comfortable portraying themes dealing with death and grief. No sugarcoating it either: things like this, the Mallow episode, and the Dia 2-parter are all very frank and well-done in their execution.

What a strange little episode. By that I mean I really liked it, but huh. This bigger plot with Kirara and then the Cynthia encounter mirroring the HGSS event feel like they should be jarring but they’re not, surprisingly the episodes flows as well as it could’ve. The Unknown banding together to help Kirara and all the illusions they created was lifted straight out of Movie 3; it was good to see them in action again, the last time they were part of the plot was in the Team Galactic arc. Cynthia being there as an archaeologist first and foremost but still getting to show off her Champion strength was a great way to showcase her it was giving Volo. Granted, not for very long, but Cynthia gets a ton to do in JN anyways.

Kirara parting with Cleffa for the last time nearly got a tear out of me, I can’t lie. That kind of emotional response coming from such an unexpected episode means the writers did a genuinely great job here
Thank GOD someone else feels the same way about this episode here as I do. Thought I was going crazy for propping this episode up at the same levels of gold tier as Litten, Minior and the Mallow episodes. The fact it's the little girl who lost her Cleffa and even more incapable of accepting grief than normal adults made this episode even more tear jerky. This episode was honestly so perfect in every way

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Thank GOD someone else feels the same way about this episode here as I do. Thought I was going crazy for propping this episode up at the same levels of gold tier as Litten, Minior and the Mallow episodes. The fact it's the little girl who lost her Cleffa and even more incapable of accepting grief than normal adults made this episode even more tear jerky. This episode was honestly so perfect in every way
Let me guess, most of the criticism revolves around Cynthia not being the focus of the episode or #badass enough? Honestly I can understand wanting her to do more, but for what she got this episode it was good. It was a very heartwarming little story and that in itself should be appreciated

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Let me guess, most of the criticism revolves around Cynthia not being the focus of the episode or #badass enough? Honestly I can understand wanting her to do more, but for what she got this episode it was good. It was a very heartwarming little story and that in itself should be appreciated
Exactly, I think Cynthia did enough and we needed someone like her to deliver the mature exposition at the end while Ash and Goh look lovingly at the girl coming to peace along with her Mother. Its the perfect way to bring about her passion without a boring repeated ep of archaeology in Johto, while also perfectly showing off Unown and telling a beautiful story. Perfect culmination of important events so its not dismissed as a filler while also telling its own heartwarming story