• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cleffa That Became a Star! (1172)

deliaketchum

It's gonna be defeated this gen, Champions' strength in the anime isn't what it used to be for the past 20 years..
Finally it will be defeated.
The reason why garchomp looks weak is because other trainers like ash also became champion. It is like comparing strong (JN ash) vs strong (cynthia) and weak (DP ash) vs Strong (DP cynthia)

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Finally it will be defeated.
The reason why garchomp looks weak is because other trainers like ash also became champion. It is like comparing strong (JN ash) vs strong (cynthia) and weak (DP ash) vs Strong (DP cynthia)
Eh, DP Ash wasn't "weak" by any measure of the word. By that logic Flint is weak as well

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
I meant relatively. Compared to paul, he was more or less equal.
It's more that Champions and E4 in general were knocked down a power scale or two from their initial portrayal as Demigods.

UnovaMaster

Emotional episode like SM108 with the fog of seeing the dead, and just because Cleffa's are baby's doesn't mean they are immune to passing away

I did want Goh's Pheromones to attract the Unowns to him because they are some of the best designed Pokemon ever and they'd be cute in lab

Cynthia brought donuts so that was nice of her

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Best Champion Returns

- Gotta love how Cynthia is kind of champ who does stuff even outside her region. Remember how she helped out during that BW arc with the therian genies. Now she is invesgating a strange phenomen on Johto. This is why she is superior to trash like Leon

- Pikachu aimed at her breast. He did on purpose. I'm sure of it

- So... Goh simply figured out it's Unown with that girl's vague description?

- I think it'd far more belieavable if the boys just asked Kirara to draw the pokémon she saw and then from the strange drawining, Goh would have the insight of figuring it out it's an Unown

- Boys and Cynthia are blown away. Cynthia lands gracefully. Ash lands skillfully. Goh... Lands clumsely... On Ash

- So good seeing 'Ace again I don't care nipticking about Goh using Grookey instead.

Overall, decent episode. Honestly, I wanted Cynthia's reintroduction to have some "epicness" to it but it's still serviceable. I like it more than the Dawn two-parter because, while rushed, at least this one played things better when reuniting the characters.

I like how they subtly imply the Cleffa passed away and that's why it's no longer with Kirara. They did it in a way that's not too over in the face but it's clear for parents who might need to explain to kids what could have happened with the Kirara's buddy.

Not a fan of what appears to be the new trend of Goh capturing Pokémon though. They randomly appear and immediately says yes? That's way too convenient for my taste. Yeah, randomly chucking pokéballs isn't that thrilling but considering the logic as employed by the games, it works because that's how it's meant to be. I feel it'd be way better if those captures are more PART of the episode narrative rather than an afterthought. Like, Goh muses catching the Murkrow, it goes away, then in the climatic part, the Murkrow is nearly caught in the crossfire, Goh saves it and then the Murkrow decides it wants to be with Goh. I think it'd take more or less the same amount of time then setting up those conveniences. Like we could just ditch the boys talking with the old man (or at least greatly reduce it) and then incorporate the scenario I've proposed. Anyway, what's done is done. I just hope they put more effort into building how Goh is getting pokémon.

All that aside, good episode.

like she was only there as hypebait.
Most returns have felt like that.
Am I the only one going to point out Goh Pheromones moment #1345? He's like "Hey Murkrow, join me" and the Pokemon is like "Sure, sis". They're not even trying at this point.
Yeah, even as a Goh fan, I thought that one was poorly done.
I thought this would just be an okay ep where they find the Cleffa and that's that but the Unowns were actually just giving Kirara more time to get over her loss and the Cleffa was simply gone, a story about a child who'd lost a pet/friend, hit me hard right at the end.

Gou asking Shirona "Why aren't the Unown showing her Cleffa if that's her deepest wish" is a really cool detail that distinguishes this from movie 3, as there the Unowns WERE (in their own twisted ways) simply giving Mii/Molly everything she wanted, these Unowns were still misguided in that their methods caused problems for everyone around Kirara but were more thoughtful and left as soon as they realized they were no longer needed, though ultimately both stories are in their own ways about accepting loss and reality, this was just more grounded.
Also, the Cleffa isn't getting a miraculous return during the end credits lol

Risrhayne

I still think this episode felt like a filler with Cynthia in it. This was not a proper way to reintroduce her as this very dangerous PWC opponent but rather some random bookworm.
I mean, I think this reintroduction works better than bringing back characters we’ve never seen in years for a single episode battle. Or introducing rivals that ONLY appear for battles, ending up as deep as puddles.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I mean, I think this reintroduction works better than bringing back characters we’ve never seen in years for a single episode battle. Or introducing rivals that ONLY appear for battles, ending up as deep as puddles.
The episode felt like the entire opposite of Volkner's episode, which was entirely a battle that had almost no introduction.

This episode brings Cynthia back, but it's entirely opposite of Volkner's episode because the PWC is not even a thing, and the plot is too dialogue heavy on some random Johto plot.

D

Deleted member 384931

So the pokémon just come to Gou and ask "Catch me" and never be seen again?

My main issue is that the episode just ended. No goodbye to Cynthia, much like Volkner...

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I know the girl is a COTD and that it's been done before in this anime and movies, but it's still sad because it's relatable, especially if you have a pet that grew & befriend with you passes away because its life expectancy isn't as long than humans.

About the night effect, also relatable if you leave in latitudes near the poles during winter, it really affects your health & behavior.

Yeah, Cynthia is back and she's clearly champion material. Not only she can see through Pokemon emotions but she can also see human ones as well when the girl had a suspicious behavior and that she's been manipulated by the Unowns.

Speaking of Unowns, they appeared to have an ability to summon the mirror version of our heroes Pokemons, even doing the same moves until Cynthia's Garchomp overcame their actions because she's a champion.

Ok episode overall, lots of talking and the settings look pretty limited but it's good to see Cynthia back since BW.

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
Another snooze fest filler episode. Don't know why they needed to make a filler episode when they could just pump out another Goh heavy one instead. Cynthia appearance was wasted and the writers make her interact more with their pet Captain Marvel Goh instead of the kid participating in the PWC (especially after that Volkner episode). Only interesting thing was the preview for ep 84 which is focused on Ash, the protagonist.
Goh is kinda like Captain Marvel, isn’t he?

Thesnowmander11

1172.jpg

The Cleffa That Became a Star!

Ash and Goh have gone to Johto after learning of the sky turning pitch-black and morning no longer coming. During their research, they learn that this happened shortly after a girl met with a mysterious Pokémon. While researching further, Ash and Goh meet with the Sinnoh Champion, Cynthia, who is also researching this phenomenon. Will they be able to solve it?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss
This was a sad episode

Kungfu-Bear

As an episode that brings, at once, two returns that I was looking forward to in the series (Cynthia and Unown), I'm glad it was solid.

(+) Beautiful little story about a girl who lost her pet, with a bittersweet ending. I never thought the story would turn so dark yet so heartwarming
(+) Yuki was great on this one, that OST that plays during Unown's illusions was great and reminded me a lot of his work on My Hero Academia
(+) I'm in love with Cynthia's hair moving during the sandstorm, why is she even prettier this way?
(+) Thank Arceus goodness (literally?) Goh didn't capture Unown. The lore of this Pokémon doesn't fit the idea of being someone's pet at all.

(+-) Goh's pheromones did it again (at least this time they tried to justify it with Murkrow wanting to leave a place where everyone avoids him all the time, but it was everything too fast)
(+-) Garchomp looks okay here, along with his Trainer they actually looked stronger than Ash and Goh but they still looked much better when humiliated Paul. Garchomp had learned Scale Shot, which is cool.
(+-) You can hear a cricket at the beginning of the episode. What Pokemon is this? xD

(-) I agree that Cynthia was kind of wasted, not only cus it's almost a filler episode but also Ash and Goh do most of the work. This was her comeback in 9 years and the only in-universe reason she exists is the World Championships and (perhaps) the Winter Arc, but the case had nothing to do with either of them other than a quick reference to the Masters Eight. It would have worked better if this were like the second episode where Cynthia appropriately appears in Journeys, leaving the actual comeback/return for an occasion that would demand more of her skills, whether battle or research. Also it could be interesting if this incident with Unown somehow served as a hint for the upcoming Dialga/Palkia arc, as Unown are somewhat related to these Legendaries. I think at least a little setup for the possible rivalry between Ash and Cynthia in PWC at the end would have been nice as well, to raise our interest in what's really relevant this season and kinda tie with the next 3 episodes. But sometimes it seems like PWC just isn't. Well we'll see her again anyway.