• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>The Closed Thread Container<<<

Magikarp is...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooo arguments, anyway everyone knowing pokemon designs are changing, and whatever your opinion, i'm sure all those people who love the 1st generation would love Turtwig through to Arceus if they were the pokemon that came first, it's not that the pokemon have gotten worse, they got different. Anyways you always think the new pokemon look stupid but then they grow on you, like right now I'm loving 4th generation pokemon, whereas I loved 3rd generation pokemon in 2005, it's just how things go.

batefe

Banned
For me, I guess it's just if a Pokemon looks more masculine, I'll catch a male, feminine, female.

There are some exceptions, though.(Donphan looks more feminine to me, while Beautifly looks more masculine to me...)

smartie

I think 3rd gen looks awesome, but after a while you get used to the new pokemons and you notice they all look pretty good.

TomNook

Still In Kanto
I'll bet the nostalgia fanboys will now want GF to bring the original designers back so the newer Pokemon will look just like the ones from Gen 1 and 2. In other words, bringing back Pokemon with no creativity and little to no details on the designs.
Are you serious? I admit I might be somewhat of a nostalgia fanboy but saying that pokemon from generation 1 and 2 have no creativity and little to no details on the designs is completely ridiculous. Pokemon in the early days were extremely creative/lovable.

If I never heard of pokemon before and I was shown each pokemon one by one and was asked to pick out my 50 favourite in terms of design. I would say 40-45 of them would be from the 1st/2nd generations. In absolute honesty.

I understand if you find pokemon designs from 3rd/4th gen more appealing (I'm going to presume that's because that's where you started) but pokemon from the first two generations are what made pokemon popular. In my opinion, pokemon would not be as popular today if the 1st generation was actually the 3rd generation.

Pokemon from the first two generations had more simple designs. I think most of us can agree on this point. This in no way means they are less creative. I would go as far as to say they were truly lovingly created. It is easy tell from looking at the designs that a lot of time was put into designing these pokemon. They each have features that can appeal to someone in particular and in some cases I think to everyone. In my opinion it is hard not to like something in the design of each pokemon in first generation, whether its the name, originality, idea or whatever. This foundation for design has carried across to each generation. However with each generation, the designers have had to become less simple with their designs (for whatever reasons, lack of ideas/change in marketing plan). If you look through the DPtHGSS pokedex here on serebii and go through each of the generations, it is evident that each generation is based off the first generation. I'm not complaining about this, the first generation worked, why fix what ain't broke? If it worked for kids 15 years ago I'm confident still work today. But in my opinion, its getting a little stale. It is the same formula. You can argue against this all you like but I'm sorry it is. If you don't see it, you just don't want to see it. Whether its getting stale or not is down to opinion. And that is the opinion me and many people I know share.

If they were to change this formula, everything would change and I very much doubt things would get any better. I really hope that 5th gen will be more appealing to me than 3rd and 4th (for me, 4th was somewhat of an improvement on 3rd excluding legendaries) and I'm confident that there will be a few I really like but I'm not setting my hopes to high.

TL;DR : Pokemon formula is getting old IMO.

i dont see anything wrong with playing pokemon...
im about to turn 20 in fall...
age shouldnt matter when playing a game..
sadly most christains dont see the concepts behind the game

sadly most christains dont see the concepts behind the game

That's because most Christians are opposed to the concept of fun. They will read a small exert from the Bible and, no matter what it actually says, they will read it as saying "thou thalt not do anything that doesn't involve praying and/or giving money to priests, even though God has no need for money at all and the priests have no way of sending it to him anyway."
I am a Christian, but even I admit that most branches of Christianity are real bummers. Every action capable of giving euphoric feelings to anybody (other than a priest) is a sin according to at least one denomination of Christianity.

W4rt0rtl3

Immortal water
I've always seen Lugia and Banette as feminine, and Ralts as masculine.

Last edited:

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
Someone really likes the 5th gen Pokemon design, but yet someone doesn't like it. This is because the ones who like it has a novel aesthetics, and the one whom dislike it has a simple and nostalgia aesthetics.

I'll not give arguments on who like it or who dislike it, but I do want to give an opinion on the Pokemon design team.

To tell the truth, if I don't read this thread, I really don't know that the Pokemon character designer team had replace so much old people and bring in new people. So that's why the 5th gen Pokemon design style had such a dramatical change...

But unfortunately, I'm not the one to have a novel Pokemon aesthetics, so I don't like the 5th gen design AT ALL! The designs are just so weird!

I really don't understand why Game Freak replace almost the whole of the designer team! The original design team that designs the 1st and 2nd gen was great, they should had remain active in the Pokemon character development. Now that the current 5th gen character designers had just ruin the original Pokemon design aesthetics, they don't really grab the true design originality of Pokemon!

The reason of I'm saying this because there is one comparison: Digimon
The Digimon franchise of Bandai is officially a rival of the Pokemon franchise of Game Freak, they both have very similar products, and both giving a similar impact to the entertainment sector.
But however, the character design of Digimon did not had such dramatic alteration, although there were changes made on the Digimon designer team, as like how the Pokemon character designer team does.
The new Digimon they design still contains the originality of being a "Digimon", the new Digimon still has "something" in the design that makes them suitable "to be" a Digimon.

On the contrast, I can't see that "something" in the 5th gen Pokemon design. They lack that "something", so my first opinion on my first sight on the 5th gen Pokemon was "Is that a Pokemon?". The designs were really unsuitable to be a "Pokemon".

KingsofCrimsonAA

Beginning noob
im unlucky too! yur not the only one , trust me

ive played pokemon since i was 5 im currently 14 , and i consider myself too be prettty good , iguess XD and have only seen one shiny trapinch , i mean whats a guy gotta dooo

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
Now that the current 5th gen character designers had just ruin the original Pokemon design aesthetics, they don't really grab the true design originality of Pokemon!

Changing the design makes them unoriginal?

Is this one of those Chinese philosophical problems that can't be solved?

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
Well that explains the slowly increasing downfall in the appeal of the new Pokemon appearances. Never liked the new style after Johto (though I admit to having a lot of Pokemon from Gen 3 and a handful from Gen 4 that I like). So far, over half the new B/W Pokes look awful. Just awful. -.-

On the contrast, I can't see that "something" in the 5th gen Pokemon design. They lack that "something", so my first opinion on my first sight on the 5th gen Pokemon was "Is that a Pokemon?". The designs were really unsuitable to be a "Pokemon".

My thoughts exactly. I also felt this way about like 80% of the Gen 4 Pokemon (there are a handful that I do adore, like Shaymin >.<).

What I also see, is that the designers appear to have this idea that "Strong Pokemon must LOOK buffed out and powerful" when things like the original legendaries .. didn't have anything overly "powerful" looking in their appearences, but still kicked *** ..

Now, we see legendary Pokemon that have all these spikes, armor, muscles, and other things to try to "look powerful" instead of just "being" powerful. I like that about the old legendaries, like the birds and Mew(two). They were simple, but could destroy everything. D:

I hope as more Gen 5 Pokemon come out, things look up. So far ... I'm not impressed. It'll be hard to get any worse than Gen 5, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
This is news to me! I always assumed Satoshi, the creator of the whole franchise and the founder of Pokemon, was the main guy in charge of everything except maybe the anime and manga. Now I learn he just sits back and lets his assistants do all the grunt work? I thought he was working on all the games as well, since I remember seeing his name in the credits but now I learn he hasn't worked on them since the days of GSC. I can image how the designs of the Pokemon from Gen 3 onwards would look if he put his creative mind to the task. At least there'd be some consistency. I always assumed Pokemon differed from region-to-region since the newer regions (Hoenn and Sinnoh) were so far apart from the mainland (Kanto and Johto). This is a rude awakening, now I feel sort of hollow inside for believing Satoshi was putting his heart and soul into his creations. For the longest time, he was the guy I admired for having come up with the concept of Pocket Monsters...

7 tyranitars

Changing the design makes them unoriginal?

Is this one of those Chinese philosophical problems that can't be solved?

more like a paradox, anyway I think people just need to get used to the new designes everytime.

Josiah

is your favorite
Someone really likes the 5th gen Pokemon design, but yet someone doesn't like it. This is because the ones who like it has a novel aesthetics, and the one whom dislike it has a simple and nostalgia aesthetics.

I'll not give arguments on who like it or who dislike it, but I do want to give an opinion on the Pokemon design team.

To tell the truth, if I don't read this thread, I really don't know that the Pokemon character designer team had replace so much old people and bring in new people. So that's why the 5th gen Pokemon design style had such a dramatical change...

But unfortunately, I'm not the one to have a novel Pokemon aesthetics, so I don't like the 5th gen design AT ALL! The designs are just so weird!

I really don't understand why Game Freak replace almost the whole of the designer team! The original design team that designs the 1st and 2nd gen was great, they should had remain active in the Pokemon character development. Now that the current 5th gen character designers had just ruin the original Pokemon design aesthetics, they don't really grab the true design originality of Pokemon!

The reason of I'm saying this because there is one comparison: Digimon
The Digimon franchise of Bandai is officially a rival of the Pokemon franchise of Game Freak, they both have very similar products, and both giving a similar impact to the entertainment sector.
But however, the character design of Digimon did not had such dramatic alteration, although there were changes made on the Digimon designer team, as like how the Pokemon character designer team does.
The new Digimon they design still contains the originality of being a "Digimon", the new Digimon still has "something" in the design that makes them suitable "to be" a Digimon.

They never replaced 'almost the whole design team'. Three of the four people who worked on the original designs are still involved. They did however, add more people.
Well that explains the slowly increasing downfall in the appeal of the new Pokemon appearances. Never liked the new style after Johto (though I admit to having a lot of Pokemon from Gen 3 and a handful from Gen 4 that I like). So far, over half the new B/W Pokes look awful. Just awful. -.-

My thoughts exactly. I also felt this way about like 80% of the Gen 4 Pokemon (there are a handful that I do adore, like Shaymin >.<).

What I also see, is that the designers appear to have this idea that "Strong Pokemon must LOOK buffed out and powerful" when things like the original legendaries .. didn't have anything overly "powerful" looking in their appearences, but still kicked *** ..

Now, we see legendary Pokemon that have all these spikes, armor, muscles, and other things to try to "look powerful" instead of just "being" powerful. I like that about the old legendaries, like the birds and Mew(two). They were simple, but could destroy everything. D:

I hope as more Gen 5 Pokemon come out, things look up. So far ... I'm not impressed. It'll be hard to get any worse than Gen 5, but we'll see.
Purely your opinion. The fans who aren't clouded by nostalgia are too busy enjoying the new Pokemon to care that they don't capture the 'appeal' of Pokemon.

Last edited:
more like a paradox, anyway I think people just need to get used to the new designes everytime.

Exactly, people will have thought the 3rd gen pokemon looked awful at first, and the same thing will have happened with the 4th gen. Personally I haven't seem much of a dramatic shift in the design of the 5th gen pokemon, to me they seem quite similar-looking to the 4th gen pokemon, except the water starter on B/W, looks like a snowman in a carrier bag.

Manchee

extra toasty
All genderless and Legendary Pokémon are given genders by me, just because I don't want to call something "it."

As far as Legends go, I see the legendary birds all as female, along with Mew, Jirachi, Celebi, Manaphy, Kyogre, and Latias. All others I see as male for some reason, even Phione.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
But in my opinion, its getting a little stale. It is the same formula. You can argue against this all you like but I'm sorry it is. If you don't see it, you just don't want to see it. Whether its getting stale or not is down to opinion. And that is the opinion me and many people I know share.

Are you saying the Pokemon themselves are following some fixed formula? Because that's not the case, really. The designs are still unique and generally good. I'm perfectly fine with what they're doing now.

Eh, I think the 3rd gen designs are great as well. In fact, better than the 2nd gen, overall. Most of the 4th gen ones are nice, too.

What? Kyogre, my favourite legendary after Mewtwo, and undeniably one of the strongest Pokemon out there, doesn't look "buffed" or anything. It looks serenely deadly and awesome :D

And whatcha got against Spikes? :p Groudon looks awesome with them. Admittedly, some of the 4th gen legends could've had better designs, but you're wrong if you flat out say that every legendary after gen 1 is bad "because it has a powerful appearance". :S

Exactly, people will have thought the 3rd gen pokemon looked awful at first, and the same thing will have happened with the 4th gen.

I didn't think that any of them looked bad, let alone awful, the first time I saw them/played the games. There were, obviously, ones which looked better than the others, but I didn't instinctively think "this Pokemon design sucks", which was the same case as Kanto and Johto before that. In fact, I was astonished when people on this forum complained so much about the 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon XD

Tubey84

I don't even think I'm being "nostalgic" when I say the 1st Generation Pokemon are far and away the best of the bunch.

The phrase "effective simplicity" comes to mind. Everything from the evolutionary chain of Caterpie to Butterfree was obviously a take from Caterpillar to Butterfly, but the way it was done was flawless.

As for design, there's a reason the likes of Pikachu are adored the world over - even outside the Pokemon fanbase. People remember Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur. The decline in Pokemon corresponded almost exactly with the introduction of Generation 3 because the Pokemon looked weird, offputting and not exactly endearing to the viewer.

As mentioned earlier, the evolutionary structure of the 1st Gens made a lot more sense too.

Worryingly for me, Black/White looks like the designers have taken liberties with the Pokemon formula. I say it worries me, but it could go one of two ways - it'll either fall flat on its face or commence the beginning of the end of Pokemon entirely. For now, it just seems to me that the designers are hell bent on a combination of small, poorly designed Pokemon and massive, oversized monsters with very little subtle character design inbetween.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
May be I should say this beforehand:

I rate the design of a generation Pokemon is bad because >=50% of that generation Pokemon has bad design. I will not change my rating JUST BECAUSE there is one or a few good designed Pokemon in that generation.

If everyone rates a generation's design is good just because there is at least one Pokemon design is good, then obviously no gen is bad, because everyone will find a Pokemon design they like and they don't like.

Certainly, I do have Pokemon designs I like from each generation, and designs I feel weird and/or awful from each generation (even the 5th gen). But yet, I still rate the generation's design AS A WHOLE statistically.

So guys, please understand that my design argument is directed towards each of the WHOLE generation, not each Pokemon individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.