• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>The Closed Thread Container<<<

Magikarp is...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehLulzMastur

A woman transformed into Frosslass after being lost on a mountain. So, in theory there should be only one.

In Xatu's SS entry, in South America Xatu is believed to have the gift of seeing the future with it's left eye and the past with the right one.

1.If it's seeing the past and the future, how does it see the present?

2.Another mention of the real world in Pokemon
About number 1: Why would it need to see the present? The past would be one milesecond before this exact moment in time. The future is one milesecond after this exact moment in time. Heck, less than a milesecond!

If anything, Xatu would be overpowered. It's pretty much all-knowing!

SmartD

Interesting. So different people work on different generations. Nice to see people sharing thier own ideas on different Pokemon designs.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I still think the makers of the pkmn from gen. 1 and 2 should supervise ALL of the games, due to the massive amount of fans who ONLY like gen. 1 and 2 pkmn. (If you cant tell, I'm not exactly a fan of all of the gen. 5 pokemon.... i just think some of them aren't original, like the fire monkey(infernape rip off).)

Thats really a dumb reason for wanting the makers of pokemon of gen 1 and 2 to oversee all the gens. The makers wont think about making pokemon just to please those who are only fans of gen 1 and 2 since you got ALOT more ppl who arent only fans of gen 1 and 2.

Grei

not the color
That's probably why a lot of people disliked the 3rd Gen (and 4th Gen). To me, accepting the 2nd Gen of Pokemon was easy. I don't know if it was due to my young age or not, but the Johto Pokemon just meshed incredibly well with the 1st Gens. 3rd Gen came along and they all looked so alien to me. Though I wasn't OK with them then, I'm fine with them now (mostly because of just thinking of them being introduced in the 1st Gen). It's just that the design change kept them from meshing as well with the previous gens (for me, at first).

Of course, the change in designers is also what throws people off.

Oddly enough for me, I felt the 4th Gen Pokemon were more like the first two gens than the 3rd. I thought the 4th Gen meshed pretty well.

EDIT: That was weird. I don't know if I changed my mind or something from my original post in this thread or what... : /

Anyway...

Aw, come on, Onix has a good design and an original concept too. Pretty good "rock snake". Wooper is simply awesome, how can you not like it?! It's so cute~ <3

lol but yeah, that's just my opinion. I can see why Voltorb would be hated, but I've never really had a problem with it. I'd still consider it fine even if it was released in gen 3.

I never said Onix, Wooper or Voltorb sucked. : / I just said that most people are blinded my nostalgia and don't realize that a lot of them would be super PO'ed if Onix was introduced in the 4th generation. "Wow. A snake made of rock? They must've run out of ideas." Wooper wouldn't look like anything to today's fanbase and Voltorb would cause uproars everywhere for it's stupidly-simple design. The fact that it was one of the firsts is what saved the thing (and it's incredibly creative evolution).

Last edited:

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
So different people work on different generations.

Not really. They just add more. If old employees were the ones that created an extremely successful franchise why would you give all of them the boot? The team is different because they added more people not because they did a clean sweep of all the old employees.

FroTW

*** gladio et sale
I'll probably get flamed for saying this but i don't think that they (being this pokemon developer team) are putting as much thought into these pokemon as they once were. for example, Gear looks alot like Haguromon from Digimon and Munna looks a little like Tokomon who is also from Digimon. Don't believe me? google the names and you'll see. Now i also felt this way when the 3rd generation came out (except i thought they looke like yugioh monsters) but i came to love the 3rd gen so who knows, maybe i'll accept the 5th gen as well.

pokebeast8

The Awesomest
In my opinion...Okay dont some people get mad at me but I honestly think that pokemon is running out of ideas and that is why they look different.

BCVM22

for example, Gear looks alot like Haguromon from Digimon

Well, yes, they're both... y'know, based on gears? If two different franchises base a critter on the same inanimate object, guess what? The critters are going to look similar. Let's say that by some cosmic twist of fate Gear preceded Hagurumon chronologically; the argument would be reversed and yet the answer would still be the same. When that's the case, the argument was flawed to begin with.

and Munna looks a little like Tokomon

This is a stretch. They share a vague body shape and being quadrupedal. Nothing else. Tokomon is off-white, has giant teeth, cheek marks and antennae thingies. Munna is pink and purple, has no visible teeth and instead has an extended nose that vaguely resembles a short trunk and has no other visible protrusions.

By this logic, every creature, fictional and otherwise, to be small, quadrupedal and colored a soft hue looks like one another.

but I honestly think that pokemon is running out of ideas and that is why they look different.

Were we to sit here and list all the animals and reasonable inanimate objects that they either have yet to use as the basis for a Pokémon or are broad enough to serve as the basis for multiple designs, we'd get about 10% of the way through that immensely elongated list and determine "ok, fine, there's still hundreds of thousands of things they can use as the basis for Pokémon."

They are most certainly not running out of ideas.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Meganium's Silver entry said:
Meganium's breath has the power to revive dead grass and plants. It can make them healthy again.

In other words: DUH!

Noctowl's Silver entry said:
When it needs to think, it rotates its head 180 degrees to sharpen its intellectual power.

This made me go "lolwut".

Arbok's Silver entry said:
With a very vengeful nature, it won't give up the chase, no matter how far, once it targets its prey.

So this is where Seviper came from.

Flaaffy's Silver entry said:
Its fluffy fleece easily stores electricity. Its rubbery hide keeps it from being electrocuted.

LOLOLOL at bold

Drowzee's Silver entry said:
It remembers every dream it eats. It rarely eats the dreams of adults because children's are much tastier.

Thus we get the Hypno entry.

Corsola's Silver entry said:
In a south sea nation, the people live in communites that are built on groups of these Pokémon.

Pre-Hoenn reference FTW.

Abysmal Zero

Burninating
Ok.....so.....*ignoring rabid fan remarks*

OP: That's really insightful. I suspected of course that they did that (I mean, the new art direction was really obvious) but it's nice to see exactly where the changes were made. It'll be interesting to see where it goes once they start hiring people who played Pokemon when it first came out, as most of my generation is approaching that point.

scythemantis

Creepy crawly
Why is this information suddenly going around pokemon websites like it's new? Are fans ACTUALLY so dense that they think the same couple people have designed every generation? That isn't how any game series in the world has ever worked or probably ever will. All I can say to this is the biggest, fattest "A-DUHHHHHH!!!!!" I can possibly muster.

And whoever said a pokemon made of gears is too similar to a Digimon made of gears is an absolute loon. LOL, TYRANITAR IS TOTALLY A RIPOFF OF AGUMON GUYS!

...And either way, new Pokemon don't look different from each previous generation. Whiny fankids have made this up in their heads. The Black & White Pokemon resemble the style of the original 151 more than any gen so far, but none have ever strayed far enough from it to matter. All Pokemon have always looked like Pokemon. Get over it.

koolhk

A fresh new start^_^
lst generation has probably the most detailed and bulk drawings.
2nd generation is the same, more ancient and also the legendaries feel powerful. the dark and steel type does give alot of choice in battling.
3rd is pretty unique, also have a feel of ancient and more choice in pokemon types and balance.
4th gen is simple, and the legendaries doesn't have the powerful aura about them. however i really don't like the introduction of time and space and the original one.
5th gen is also simple and anyone can draw them. somehow they have pricey look on them, also some looks of endangered animals. they don't look strong, at least their moves and stats state otherwise.

that is what i think. but anyway as long the moves are challenging and fun to use i don't really care about their appearances.

First Generation most detailed?
I disagree with most of this, Generation One's designs weren't more detailed then say Generation 4's, Generation One's were more ordinary while there were more little features in the new Pokemon design's.
Seriously, all the new Legendaries especially the Dragon Trio in my opinion have a much more "powerful aura" then legenedaries from Generation One like the Bird Trio.

All the Pokemon design's took time so I don't believe "anyone could draw them" but Generation One Pokemon are easier to draw then New Pokemon.

I personally like every Pokemon and think the idea's are getting Better and Better and I will freely admit I like the Generation Five, Four and Three Design's of Pokemon better then Generation One's or Generation Two's.

Generation Five is looking like it will be the best Pokemon Generation So Far^_^

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I never said Onix, Wooper or Voltorb sucked. : / I just said that most people are blinded my nostalgia and don't realize that a lot of them would be super PO'ed if Onix was introduced in the 4th generation. "Wow. A snake made of rock? They must've run out of ideas."

Well, maybe I guess, but they haven't really done a snake-made-out-of-rock thing before (I mean if Onix was introduced in gen 4) and it's idea is also somewhat derived from the "Rock" python snake. It's a pretty original concept, that's all I'm saying; why would people think they've run out of ideas?

Wooper wouldn't look like anything to today's fanbase and Voltorb would cause uproars everywhere for it's stupidly-simple design. The fact that it was one of the firsts is what saved the thing (and it's incredibly creative evolution).

If you say so, I guess; but really - I believe people who overanalyze and dissect Pokemon designs, and hate them for not being exactly what they wanted, as well as people who hate on a Pokemon's design for being simple, or (in their view) "uncreative" are quite silly.

And lol, do you think Voltorb and Electrode are saved? Who's the first Pokemon people go to when they want to criticize Kanto Pokemon or want to point out why gen 1 was no good? :p

for example, Gear looks alot like Haguromon from Digimon and Munna looks a little like Tokomon who is also from Digimon.

BCVM22 covered all this, but I'd just like to ask you - do you think the Pokemon art designers actually look through Digimon designs, choose ones they like/choose random ones and then proceed to "rip it off" as you believe they do?

afflicted

Happiest Trainer
Zapdos-->Female
Metagross-->Male
Ditto-->Female
Dragonite-->Female
Dialga-->Female

Last edited:

xANGELx

xANGELx
Most evolutions were just bigger versions of their previous forms (Ex: Poliwhirl and Poliwrath)QUOTE]

I'm not trying to insult you, but isnt that the point? It makes sense that the evolved forms would look similar to their pre-evolutions because they are still from the same family. It would be strange if a small yellow mouse (pikachu) evolved into a giant orange dragon (charizard) because they look nothing like each other and so no-one would make the connection. An evolution occurs when the pokemons body can't hold the power level it's reached, so the body undertakes a physical transformation and becomes more capable of handling its strength.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
A lot of Rock types are masculine, like Golem, Rampardos, and Aerodactyl. Kirlia, Blissey, Delcatty, and the like are all feminine.

Status
Not open for further replies.