1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Club Nintendo Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by arceusvictini, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Void Ventus

Void Ventus Sic Parvis Magna

Didn't even care for any gifts this year. Would have liked my points refunded instead of having to spend them on this horrible list. Oh well, no use whining. I chose DKCR3D. Could give a monkey's hairy behind about this downgraded 30FPS POS, but whatever. Free game is a free game (oh wait, no it's not. I bought some horrible games just to reach Platinum status hoping there would have been awesome physical prizes).

Urrgggh sorry for the saltiness, everybody. This year's gifts are just horrible.

2. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

Better than the platinum prizes from last year, imo. I was hoping for an amiibo, but whatever.

Sucks for Gold status members, though. Not even a calendar.

3. Void Ventus

Wasn't the Platinum gift last year a physical soundtrack CD of Majora's Mask? That's freaking incredible. The OoT one for registering OoT3D on Club Nintendo was also awesome.

4. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

If I was a collector it would've be cool. There's resale value that these downloadable games have absolutely none of, but I'm not going to get excited about a reward that I'm planning on get rid of anyways. As it is I have no interest in a CD with a bunch of MIDI-quality songs that are widely available online.

To each their own, of course.

5. Zyon

Zyon NUM NUM NUM

I'm slightly disappointed in the Elite prizes this year, sure there all games but it's not the best collection to choose from(would have been better to have some physical item of some kind).
    I'm not really interested in Game & Wario, I got Earthbound the moment it became available on the eShop. I was never really a big fan of Donkey Kong so pretty much DKCR is out. Besides that I pretty much have all the other games listed(don't have DK 3 of course) besides NES Remix, Dr. Luigi, and Fluidity: Spin Cycle. However I'm not a big fan of the use of the gyro system in Spin Cycle having to turn it completely upside down to solve some puzzles. I like the gyro system when it only makes slight changes to the gameplay, besides all that I just don't care for it.
    So pretty much I'm left with NES Remix and Dr. Luigi.

*An it's no surprise that Club Nintendo is under maintenance after announcing Elite Gifts.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  6. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

Well, I suppose I'm getting DKCR3D just because it's the most expensive one on the list, and I already have Game & Wario because of my little brother getting it.

7. Recon

Recon 11001101011101010100

Huh, good thing I didn't pick up Earthbound then. Mine!

8. TheEliteEmpoleon

TheEliteEmpoleon Surge Surfer

Not really happy about these rewards... To me they should be something that you can only get by being an Elite member. Not something others can get at any time they want.

9. the1stpkmnfan

the1stpkmnfan Your Big Buff Bro

A tad disappointed with the Platinum Status prizes this year. It was also underwhelming when Nintendo didn't give us a clear idea on what they were before the expiration date (or after a few days). Now I see its downloadable games... eh. I'm not hyped about them, but they're free. So I got DCKR 3D, since it was free. I wasn't going to buy a game I already had on the Wii. NES Remix didn't exactly interest me at all. I'm not too keen on digital downloads since they take up a lot of space. This actually makes me feel better about buying physical, retail copies.

At least the coins I accumulated this past year do compensate. The Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon figure was a bargain, and it was my main reason to get 1500 coins. Luckily I had many codes before hand, adding up to a few years in gaming. I'll take that prize over this year's Elite Status gifts.

Hopefully next year's prize is better.

10. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

eh, I'd personally rather take the free game than just get something that's going to clutter my house, but that's just me (if you don't want your code, I'll take it off your hands)

considering that I got Gold and currently don't have a Wii U, my options are pretty limited (unless I wait to claim the reward until I get a Wii U, I guess)

since I already have SML3, my options are pretty much just DK3, WL2, and Metroid

11. Chaos Emperor

Chaos Emperor ................

i can understand why people would be upset that the reward is not some physical trinket, but at the same time, free is free, and you cant complain if you get something for free, the real issue is deciding which one to get, im torn between game and wario and nes remix, i really dont know which game to choose, but i got until august 15, so, yay?

P.S. aybody whos super mad at this and doesnt want to use their code, i'll gladly take it off your hands. ;)

12. KillerDraco

KillerDraco The Enforcer Staff Member Super Mod

Yeah, not too thrilled about the rewards this year, but I'll still take my free stuff. After all, Platinum Status was incidental; I did not actively go out of my way to achieve it or anything.

I'll probably get Game & Wario or DKCR3D. They're basically the only games that 1) I don't have (although I do have DKCR for the Wii so meh), and 2) are the best value in terms of what they'd actually cost.

13. Void Ventus

Free is free, so no one can complain about that. But I personally bought a few retail and downloadable games, and spent hours doing post-play surveys to get enough coins to get to Platinum, hoping to get an awesome physical gift. What makes this worse is that today, the Japanese Club Nintendo got a Yoshi plushie as a normal prize. I thought Club Nintendo was to entice more people to buy games, and if they reach enough points, will get something exclusive.

14. Zachmac

Zachmac Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm not going to spend extra money for a something when I don't even know what it is.

I'm grabbing Earthbound. I'm not really all that excited for it, but since I'm an active part of the Nintendo fandom these days, I figure I might as well see what this game really is.

15. tomatohater

tomatohater Golden Sun 4?

After a lot of deliberation, I have finally chosen to get Pikmin 3 as my free downloadable game for MK8. I will get it from the eShop later, and hopefully it will be worthwhile!

16. Trevenant

Trevenant Banned

Unless you regularly steal Club Nintendo codes, the rewards are far from free.

A bunch of VC re-re-releases combined with a bunch of 10-20$ games for the year-end reward is... terrible.
    At least the trinkets are unique to Club Nintendo. These games you can get any time, and they're incredibly cheap.

The Gold rewards weren't worth the money it costs to be a Gold member---Platinum definitely wasn't.

17. Zachmac

Zachmac Well-Known Member

Except that we weren't buying it for the codes, we were buying the games. I didn't get Pokemon Y or Donkey Kong Country just so that I could get some secret prize at the end of the year. If the codes influenced your decision making process that dramatically when deciding to buy the games, then you need to get your money spending priorities strait.

Even if it's technically not free, it may as well be.

Granted, I would prefer a better selection, but that doesn't mean I have to feel like I've been scammed.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  18. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

Agreed. I didn't spend any extra money or buy any extra games to get platinum status this year. This just happened to be the year I got my 3DS, Wii U, and a boatload of games to go with 'em. I probably won't attain platinum status for a long while again, because it isn't worth going out of my way for and I don't think it ever was something worth going out of your way for.

19. Trevenant

Trevenant Banned

It doesn't matter. The codes still cost money, do they not? This might be an interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch

No, it isn't. Free implies no cost. There is indeed a cost.

Free implies no cost. Club Nintendo codes do have a price attached - whatever the game's price was, and the Gold/Platinum rewards were far from worth it this year, with absolutely nothing unique to it (trinkets, etc), and everything being a marginal 5-20$ (with only two games being 20$, the rest are 10$ or less).

Strait? :p

You're entirely right, Club Nintendo codes shouldn't ever influence someone's decision to buy a game.

The money-to-reward ratio was always balanced in that it had unique toys or statues or something. So those were worth it because they weren't available elsewhere. Re-re-releases of games most people already have on several platforms aren't, and even not counting the VC games... none of that is worth the cost of being a Gold/Platinum member.

20. KillerDraco

KillerDraco The Enforcer Staff Member Super Mod

You both are attempting to argue semantics, in which case, both of you are right. Yes, you have to spend money to obtain Club Nintendo codes. However, if you were going to buy the games anyway, and you're paying the retail price for said game, then you're not having to pay any additional money for the code that you wouldn't be otherwise spending on the game itself.

That said, no one's denying that the Elite rewards suck this year, and were not at all worth it, but for those who did not go out of their way to get Elite status (i.e., those who would have bought the games regardless of the Club Nintendo codes), then it somewhat mitigates the annoyance. That's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.