• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Comic-Makers' Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
(Approved by MS)

THE FIRST SEREBII FORUMS
COMIC-MAKERS' ACADEMY

It came to my attention that there has been no attempt up until now to create an organized way of teaching inadiquate comic-makers to make up-to-snuff comics. However, I, Oblivion the eight hundred and seventh, am here to change that. I have organized this Comic Academy to teach the uneducated comic authors of these forums. With the support of those named below, I have (successfully) appealed to have this academy created. I thank all who read this for bringing in those who need improvement for teaching. The cirriculum is explained below.

With all due respect,
Oblivion0807

Origional supporters:
Damian the Duck
Blues
Flygon
Mastercougar
Blueguy
Power Shot
Controller of Flames
Monkeyspoon5
Devil G

Academy Cirriculum

The academy will be incorporating a system of master-student work in its teachings. Each master, chosen from a list of available, respect-worthy authors, will take the student and teach said student how to create up-to-snuff sprite comics. The general five categories that must be taught are as follows:

Resource Creation - The making of spritesheets and backgrounds and how to use others' sprites in a non-thieving manner.
Story - The creation and incorporation of storylines in a sprite comic and what makes a good plot. Also how to link plots together into story arcs and revolve them around a central theme.
Characters - How to create believable, Mary-Sueless characters and develop their personalities correctly. Also includes character interaction and properly-handled cameos.
Humor - How to properly think up and use the main focus of a comic, the main focus being to create laughter. Also includes appropriate vs. inappropriate and funny vs. dull jokes.
Maturity - How to use proper grammar and avoid creating comics with a noobish quality. Also how to interact properly within a topic and maintain the comic thread.

Once the Master believes that the student is ready, all the available Masters and the Founder will be brought together and the student will be given a final test. For the test, the student will create three comics revolving around a theme that a panel of judges chosen by moi chooses. The guidelines are only that the comics are about said topic. The rest of the choices are up to the student and his/her style. Naturally, the judges will be using their toughest criticism. If a student passes, (s)he is awarded a diploma from the school and is expected to create top-quality comics. If not, (s)he is sent back with a new master for more training. As long as new masters are available, the student may comtinue to try again. Students with diplomas that produce subpar comics will be face tougher consequences.

With that, you must complete a form before you are tutored. Nothing terribly challenging.

Name: Username. Not difficult.
Style: What style of comics you wish to make (pokemon overworlds, megaman-styled sprites, hand-drawn, etc.)
Requested Master: You may request to work under a certain master. However, if the master selected is inadequate, I may assign you a master.

NOTE: There is no concrete list of Masters. Good comic-makers may be pulled to do mastering duties.

Kauser79

Kauser il più grande
Can I join the acadamy? I've always wanted to make comics...

Name: Kauser79 (Or just Kauser, or K79)
Style: M&L: SS
Requested Master: Umm... Blueguy maybe? No requested master.

*Hopes to be accepted*

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
Well, Blueguy is banned, so no help there.

I know a guy that works with Superstar Saga sprites a bit, I'll see if he can voulenteer time.

Kauser79

Kauser il più grande
Cool! I can't wait 'till I get help... I've tryed to make comics before, but I've never posted them because I can't come up with good jokes. *Feels unfunny*

Blues

Monkey Dragon
I suppose I can be trained in sprite comic school...

Name: Blues
Style: Rockman (Megaman) sprites
Requested Master: I don't really know, anyone is fine as long as they are good...

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
Blues, I know a jolly old soul who'd be glad to have you. Hold on while I find out if he's available...

I'll get you Sponge, Occurrence, but you'll have to tell him what kind of backgrounds. Not exactly my choice of a tutor, but whatever.

Kauser79

Kauser il più grande
You're assigning to to Santa Claus? Well, ho ho ho!

No, I believe s/he said...

a jolly old soul

I believe that's Old King Cole... :D

Anyways, what's the name of my master, if you've found them yet?

And w00t to the sticification! :club:

Infinity

Gone...
Whee stickied! Anyway, I'll be glad to lend my services, but I only draw my stuff, I don't do sprites, but I can do humor.

F

Flygon

I can only assist for a short period of time (winter break.) While I can, though, could I teach maturity?

Sakim

Darkness Is Rising..
Name: Sakim
Style:pokemon Overworlds, Mario Comics.
Requested Master: Any one but make them nice!

Also I've made some comics and some didn't stay on the front page so I'll need some help there.

Solid Kirby

Back, I guess.
Oblivion0807 said:
Well, Blueguy is banned, so no help there.

I know a guy that works with Superstar Saga sprites a bit, I'll see if he can voulenteer time.
I received the PM, and I'll be able to help. =)

So, how does this work? Do we do it through PMs, or what? I'm curious to know.

Kauser79

Kauser il più grande
So, how does this work? Do we do it through PMs, or what? I'm curious to know.

I figure it's Pm'ing... Doesn't look like Oblivion's on right now, though.

And I just noticed, that quote in you're sig is from my thread! o_0

M

Mackenzie

Yeah im interested in making a good comic.

Name: Mackenzie (or Mac)
Style: Overworld Style (Pokemon FR/LG and R/S/E)
Master: no idea.

Silver Fusion

Hyper Coordinator
Name: Silver Fusion
Style: Hand Drawn
Requested Master: Does it matter?

I've got a few ideas for my comic but I'm a bit confuzzled over the whole ordeal. I got a book about drawing manga a few days ago it should help.

If any one needs help with Overworld Spriting you can ask me. I ran a request shop once and have completed many sheets.

E

elitesnake

Name: elitesnake
Style: Pokemon Overworlds
Requested Master: Controller of Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.