• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cooking Thread (Approved by Joshlol)

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I started learning to cook recently, and I thought it might be a good idea if we had a thread for sharing recipes and asking questions. General forum rules apply. Constructive criticism and opinions are fine, but no bashing other people's recipes.

Ok then. The other night, I made a pretty good Chicken Curry Stir Fry.

Ingredients:
-3/4 lb. chicken
-2 potatoes
-1 large onion (I used 3 carrots instead)
-3 tbs. olive or vegetable oil
-2 cups coconut milk or just regular milk
-1 packet mild curry powder
(serves 4)

This recipe was on the back of a packet of curry powder I bought. First I peeled the vegetables, and then I cubed the potatoes and sliced the carrots. I cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Next, I put the olive oil in a large pan and added the ingredients. The directions said to put it on medium low heat, but that took way too long, so I put it on high medium until it got going. I had to move the chicken around a lot to get it evenly cooked, and I added the milk after that. Once the milk started boiling, I added the curry powder. It said to cook for three minutes after that, but the potatoes were still hard. It took a long time for them to get soft. I had to stir the ingredients around a lot. I think my pan was too small. Still, it turned out well. It just took more time than I wanted.

Seeing as how I cook as well, I think I'll add a tuna noodle cassorole recipe that I know.

Ingredients:
-1/2 lb. (about 227 grams) of wide/medium egg noodles
- one 10 Oz (305g) can of campbells cream of mushroom soup
- 1-2 small (6 Oz) cans of tuna in water (I use one because I'm not too big on tuna)
- 4 slices of cheese (cheddar, colby, and "american" work the best)
- (can serve up to 4)

Here's what I do:
1) bring water to a boil over a stove (use either a pan or a pot)
2) add noodles and simmer until the noodles can easily be cut w/ a spoon, fork, or the dull side of a knife
3) drain out the water and 1st add the cream of mushroom soup, stir
4) add the tuna (after draining the water), stir, and simmer until it thickens to where you like it
5) let it cool down and add the cheese

and serve, simple enough

Edit: I edited some of it, and here's a similar recipe (but with more ingredients) that comes off the back of campbells cream of mushroom soup:
- 1 can (10 3/4 Oz) of campbell's cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 2 cans (6 Oz) of tuna in WATER
- 2 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles
- 2 tbsp, dry bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- servers 4

directions:
1) stir everything but the butter and crumbs together
2) bake at 400 degrees F (I don't have C temp. so you'll have to convert) for 20 min
3) mix bread crumbles w/ butter and add to the top of it, then continue cooking for 5 min

I dislike this recipe (it tastes too much like the Stoffer's frozen food one)

Last edited:
I got this recipe from my cooking teacher.

Chicken Francese.

One small boneless chicken breast per person
Half-cup all-purpose flour for dredging
Salt and pepper
Four large eggs
Three Tbs of water
Fourth-cup of olive oil
Half a lemon with rind cut in thin rounds
One and a half-cups of chicken broth
Half a lemon, juiced
Two Tbs of unsalted butter
Fourth-cup flat-leaf parsley minced, or one ts dried parsley

1. Put the chicken cutlets between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a flat mallet until the cutlets are thin and even.
2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a plate In a bowl, beat the eggs with the water to create an egg wash.
3. Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
4. To cook the chicken, dredge both sides of the chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour, and then dip them in the egg wash to coat completel, letting the excess drip off.
5. When the oil is nice and hot, add the cutlets and fry for about two minutes on each side until golden, turning only once. Remove the cutlets to a large platter in a single layer to keep warm.
6. Toss the lemon slices in the pan and cook for two minutes or until fragrant. Add the broth and lemon juice and simmer for five minutes to reduce the sauce slightly. Roll the butter in some flour and add to the skillet. Stir to incorporate the butter and dissolve the flour. This will thicken the sauce.
7. Return the cutlets to the pan, placing the lemon slices on top of the cutlets. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for another two or three minutes to heat the chicken completely.
8. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with minced parley.

Serve with rice or pasta.

Last edited:

Gibbis

Read it,READ IT!
Here's a recipe for the poor,lazy, unskilled or colleage students that makes a great snack dubbed

Papa's Phoney Pizza or PPP

The ingredients you will need

Bread

Grated cheese or pre-packed grated cheese

Smoked sausage

Sauce of choice I higly reconnmend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce then pick brown sauce

Equipment

Grill

Plates

near a sink so that if you do burn ones hands then you can run it under said sink

Chopping board for grating cheese n smoked sausage[yes chop up the sauage[ half a packet will do]

Knife[ For the younger members that havn't handled knifes let an adult/older sibling although getting the sibling to help you is unlikely]

Alright guys you read dis stuff?

now for cooking it

1. Put bread under grill untill it is ready[ different tastes].

2. flip over the toast onto the uncooked sides then let it get to a light brown color.

3. Add the smoked sausage onto the lightly browned side then cook untill the sausage is ready[takes two mins] and does the sausage fell hot and subtly darker but not too much.

4. Put Grated cheese of choice onto the side with the sausage on it then cook untill the cheese has melted correctly and is speard out[don't plonk the cheese onto one area instead grabbing small bits and gently place them so that it ain't a giant cheese version of Muk scaring at you ]

5. Skip this bit if you don't like sauce. Put the sauce over the cheese then either put it back in or eat it

What you can add- Tomatoes, other veggies, anything else that won't ruin the snack/meal.

For the people that don't like smoked sausage or otherwise don't have it use other cold meat.

Last part is to enjoy your snack

The tip-clean up as you go' is very useful that means don't do at the end but instead do the dises as you waiting on your cook to be cooked and waiting for the food to be cooked untill you need for the next part.

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
Fried Fish, lol.

5 Eggs
Bread Crumbs
Your Choice of Fish

Well first you need two bowls. Then proceed to crack the five eggs and put the yolk and white stuff in one bowl. Batter until yolk is not visible. Then put about half the bowl full of bread crumbs. Then roll the fish in the eggs until totally covered in eggs. Then continue to roll the fish in the bread crumbs. The bread crumbs stick on because of the eggs. Then cook on the stove for about 5-10 minutes (forgot the exact temperature, sorry:()

Cooking time!!!!!!

Well, why not. But beware, i'm a certified Cook, so this recipe is no joke at all.

"Spaghetti alla Bolognesa"

Ingredients:
-One package (or at least 150 grs) of Spaghetti pasta or Pasta di uovo(Egg pasta; any size is good but i prefer 2, since is a little thick)
-150grs of grinded pork meat
-150grs of grinded meat (hamburger-grinded meat is useful for this)
-100grs of Celery stem (if you don't like you can skip it)
-100grs of Zucchinni (fresh, without peeling)
-100grs of carrot(fresh and peeled)
-140grs of onion
-olive oil / butter / both (depends on your liking. I use both of them)
-250-350grs of mashed tomatoes sauce (some even sell this condimented)
-Italian herb mixture (some places sell this as "Italian Herbs". Comprised of thyme, salve, rosemary, basil, oregano and marjoram. If by any chance you have this herbs then you could skip this ingredient)
-white wine (if you want a good taste, better to be good wine too)
-milk
-3 garlic teeth
-salt and pepper (your choice)

Preparation:

For the Spaghetti:
-Get one bowl with enough water to soak or get submerged the spaghetti pasta.
-For better taste of the pasta add one peeled and cut garlic tooth inside the water and add either one tablespoon olive oil/butter (depend on your likings)
-Put the spaghetti inside the water and heat until boiling.
-Upon boiling, mantain the heat and check the consistency of the spaghetti (one way is to see if one bit of the pasta bounces off if you throw it to the wall; i know it's rudimentary but...)*
-Retire the pasta from hot water to dry it off, To prevent overcooking, put it quickly on a cold water stream for a couple of seconds.

For the meat
-Mix the two grinded meats, spicing up the mixture with salt and pepper.
-add one diced garlic tooth to add extra flavor (if you don't like garlic, then you can add less than that)
-Put the mixture in a hot-oiled pan and cook until the meat changes completely of color, but not cooking entirely. If the meat leaves some grease, it's normal*

For the Ragu* sauce
-Either cut, dice or chop chop chop! (Cutman's favorite) the other garlic tooth, zucchinni, onion, carrot and celery stem (i prefer dicing it in cubes)
-In an oiled/buttered pan, heat first the garlic and onion until they get "Whitened" (that is, they're cooked until they get a transparent-like look)
-Add the remaining vegetables and cook for 5 minutes in medium-fire
-Add the mashed tomatoes sauce and increase the heat to high
-Add the herbs mixtures to your liking (grinded or in pieces, but never add the whole leaves or herbs.)
-Add one cup of White Wine and increase the heat to the highest level
-Upon this point, the sauce is literally ready, all that remains is that the sauce has to "reduce". Mantain in high heat until the sauce gets that "saucy consistency"* we all like.
-After that, add the meat to it and incorporate to the sauce. If the sauce gets a strong flavour of meat, recuce that by adding milk. If it lost the flavour of the herbs, you still can add more now, but it's the last chance.
-Reduce heat to low-mid level and let it cook for 15 minutes, taking care that it doesn't overheat and the sauce begins to burn.

Option A:
-You can either add the Spaghetti now to the mixture or

Option B:
-You can serve it separated, so you add the quantity of Bolognesa sauce of your choice.

Enjoy! (recipe Serves 2 persons)

Minor notes
*Pasta have a couple of terminations depending on the cooking:
-Al Dente (if the pasta is cooked outside but not too much on the inside)
-Buon punto [Ecco punto!] (if the pasta is completely cooked and soft)

*When the meat release the grease, it means the meat was not completely sealed when cooked, it is normal if some parts of it aren't cooked (after all, they will boil up in the sauce and will finish cooking there but depending of how much juice it has, the more dominant the meat taste will be in the sauce)

*Maybe you're wondering "What does ragu sauce has to do with bolognesa sauce?", well, ragu sauce it's the base. adding the vegetables and the meat makes another type. The Bolognesa sauce.

*What i meant for Sauce Consistency is that sensation of being rather paste-like when you stir it. Not too liquid, neither too solid, but in between. This is made by increasing the heat and keeping stirring until it reduces the volume (meaning that some of the water/milk/water in wine reduced by evaporation. As a side, side note, this also allow to the wine to concentrate the flavours and incorporate them altogether)

Phew, this was long indeed!, i hope you like the recipe.

Sorry for the long chunk of words, but having studied this, i rather do "old-fashioned" cooking, hence the long explanation.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Hm, those chicken cutlets sound good... I may have to try that sometime. There's a recipe I want to try in Shojo Beat right now, though.

Matcha (this is a fancy kind of green tea that comes in a powder) Latte

Ingredients:
-1 pint whole milk
-2 tbs. match
-2 tbs. granulated sugar

You pour the milk into a saucepan and simmer on low heat, then add the sugar and matcha. You simmer it for about 10 minutes, but you're not supposed to let it boil. Then you let it cool for about 5 minutes and pour over ice. I'd rather use skim or 2% milk, though... or maybe a lactose free or soy. I'm really not supposed to drink milk... but I wonder how it would taste with a substitute.

Here's a good old recipe that everyone I know seems to love:

Deviled eggs

Halve hard-cooked eggs lengthwise and remove yolks. Mash yolks (that have been hardened) with desired combination of seasonings listed below. then refill the egg whites...

For 6 eggs use:
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar (I perfer red-wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon of prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash of pepper

other ingredients that go well w/ this recipe include:
-2 tablespoons of chopped ripe olives (use an extra teaspoon of vinegar), Horseradish, anchovies, parsly, chopped onions/chives, flaked seafood, crumpled crisp bacon, and chopped stuffed green olives.

if you ask me this recipe is easy and it tastes great.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Oh, Fun!

Simple Peanut Butter cookies:
2 cups PB
2 cups white sugar
1-2 eggs
*optional- 1 cup M&M, cocolate chips, or other

Preheat oven to 350. Mix everything, roll into 1 1/2 inch balls, flatten with fork, and cook for about 15 minutes.

As a plus it's gluten and dairy free...

xXPorygonXx

Sort of active
INGREDIENTS
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon-style prepared mustard
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine the oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, ground black pepper, mustard, onion, and garlic. Mix together well.

There ya go. Simple and easy.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Hm, that sounds like it would be hot... I'm not too sure my parents would eat that. Oh, but I do appreciate it, I'm sure it's good. I wonder if there's anything with a basalmic vinegar base, though. I really like that flavor.

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
I always wing it. Just add whatever you think will be good together. Last time, I just added Srirachi (Chili Sauce), Black pepper, Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Red chili flakes. Turned out great.

Mew-100

Future Scriptwriter!
I'm 12 and I cooked my first meal lastnight, me and my mum loved it!

Noodles & Veg.
Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 Clove Of Garlic
4 Baby Corns
4 Green Beans
1/2 Onion
Amoy Straight To Wok Noodles
Soy Sauce
Olive Oil

Method:

1. Grate the garlic clove into small pieces.
  2. In a small dish, pour a bit of Olive Oil and out the grated Garlic in, stir gently for a few seconds with a teaspoon.
  3. Chop the other veg.
  4. Put a frying pan or Wok on a hob of the cooker and set the heat level to 5 or 6
  5. Put the oil with Garlic into the frying pan
  6. Wait to heat then add the chopped onion
  7. stir
  8. Put in the rest of the veg
  9. Stir for 3 to 5 Minutes. (You can use the Kitchen Timer app on Pokémon D/P!)
  10. Pour a little Soy Sauce onto it
  11. Stir some more for 2 to 4 minutes (Want to use the Kitchen Timer app again?)
  12. After that turn the heat down to 3 or 4
  13. Ad the noodles, stir adding Soy Sauce every few moments
  14. Turn the heat to 0, serve, eat and enjoy!

??????

That guy.
All you people and your fancy, French recipes. All I cook is rice.

West African style Fried Rice (The good stuff)

4 Cups of Rice
Olive/Canola Oil
Onion (1)
Garlic (1/2)
5 breasts of chicken/Shrimp/Whatever meat you fancy (Optional)
Whatever Vegetables you fancy (Optional)
Spices-
Salt, Pepper, Curry, Lemon Pepper, Garlic Powder, Maggie Chicken or Goya cubes, Thyme/Whatever you fancy.

1)Cut the Onion and Garlic
2)Spice the meat
3)Put Olive/Canola oil in pot
4)Add, Onion, Garlic, spiced Meat into pot. Let it cook.
5)Add Rice. Let cook.
6)Add water.
7)When nearing completion, add vegetables (optional).

Yeah, think that how it goes.

cradle_of_filth_rock

dub me lord abortion

ok this is a simple one

pot noodle

ingredients:
pot noodle
boiling water

directions:
(optional)break up the dry pot noodle with a fork
put kettle on
pour boiling water into pot
(optional(but recomended)add the sachet of sauce
leave for a few mins

enjoy

-SI-

I'm baaaaaack
Oh. Thank god. A forum about this.
I am an aspiring chef.

I can spare a recipe.

Fettuccine Alfredo-

1. Fettuccine cooked in salt water works best. No oil. It will not absorb the full flavor of the Alfredo sauce.
2. Many things can be substituted into the sauce. Garlic, basil, and roasted red pepper can change the whole outcome of the sauces flavor.

Simple 1 to 2 ratio of Parmesean to Heavy Whipping Cream.

Bring the whipping cream to a slight boil in a saucepan, add the parmesean.
stir
Add what I like, a tablespoon of minced garlic and a quarter cup of finely chopped basil.
stir
add the cooked pasta to the sauce pan, and coat the pasta evenly. Keep at a low heat, as you grill the chicken breast in a frying pan.
Use about a tablespoon of olive oil, and put trimmed chicken into the hot oil. Of course, let it cook through, remove, cut, and add to the pasta.

Reeeally simple, but really good.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Is there anything you can substitute for Parmesean? I like pasta, but I can't eat cheese. Anyway, I ended up doing a basalmic vinegar marinade for my steak.

Ingredients:
-1/4 cup basalmic vinegar
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 crushed garlic clove

I soaked the steaks in the marinade on alternating sides for 10 minutes each... but it didn't absorb as well as I wanted. Maybe the steaks were too thick. Some bits tasted better than others.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Doesn't it stop being Alfredo if you do that? You could try leaving the cheese out. A skilled chef can ussually leave out an ingredient and still get something close. It would just be a cream sauce...

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
For a killer omelette:

Use a whisk, not a fork, when beating the eggs, as this will introduce lots of air into the mixture, making for a light and fluffy omelette. When adding cheese to an omelette sprinkle it on top of the egg after it's been in the pan and started cooking. This will stop the cheese from sinking to the bottom of the mix and potentially burning. Use butter as a shortening for the best taste and get the frying pan hot enough to melt all the butter so as it is runny enough to tilt around the pan. If the pan starts to smoke then the pan is too hot and the egg will burn before it cooks all the way through.

Also, adding a pinch of salt and sugar to the egg mix is an optional way to round out all the tastes (provided its beaten in of course).

So, for my favourite breakfast meal:

3 free range eggs
grated cheese
bacon/ham, finely chopped
chives
salt, sugar and black pepper to taste

Melt about a tbsp of butter in a nonstick frying pan. Crack eggs into a medium-large bowl and add chopped bacon, chives and seasoning. Beat with a whisk until eggs have mixed together and bubbles appear on the surface. Pour egg onto pan; after the base has started to cook, sprinkle grated cheese over the runny surface. Use an egg flip to fold the omelette in half (liquid egg will still run, normal). Fold egg again; when cooked to favoured consistency (I like mine still slightly runny), take off heat and serve with hot buttered toast and tea.

^_^