• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Corei Quest...rewritten!

Which Corei Starter would you choose?

• Mongle

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Fryger

• Aquari

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icemew

Banned
Seems like Sapph had good luck this chapter...well, for him ;) They won a battle and aren't dead yet! Now if only they can stay not dead...Will the Grizzlar will show up again next chapter? I feel bad for Haley, getting dragged into all this.

The only problem I noticed was that it seemed sort of odd to refer to the trainers just by their shirt colors. Maybe they could have introduced themselves? But it's a pretty minor thing.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
that i will MVB! just so you know, your reply's giiven me new juice to write my fingers off! so stay tuned! Tomorrow's a holiday so hopefully a double (or triple) posting of episodes will head your way.

OK Later!

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Yerse! Finally! Chapter 6 is ready to roll!

Yes, finally! I’ve finished chapter six. Now to post it and let it (comments and the like) flow!

Thanks go to MVB, icemew, Felix Feral Fezirix, Metallic Mantis, Reborn, NoDayBut2Day and DKzM0mA for your patience and support! I sincerely apologize for the long break (runs off before shotgun bullets fly)

WARNING: Smoking is bad, 'mkay...don't do it 'mkay?

Chapter Six: Action in EverWood (Part Two)​

The projectiles tore into every part of the bridge they could reach. The wooden parts splintered apart and the rope supports were torn apart strand by strand at terrifying speed as the Pin Missile attack ripped through them. Soon the twosome, with nothing left to support them in the middle of the gorge, was falling down, down, down. Amongst the splinters and fragments of rope, their flailing bodies fell as though in slow motion watching the sheer rock faces flash by them. Their screams lost amidst the roaring of the winds as they plummeted towards what looked like the end of their prematurely-ended journeys, of their unfulfilled dreams, of their young lives…

…until they hit the river. (Yes, there was a river all along, sorry.)

They hit the swirling waters like a Mack truck doing eighty would to a wall. Tumbling all over each other in the broiling current, they were able to push themselves to the surface where Haley choked a large amount of water back into the river and reached out and grabbed Sapph to pull him back up again as he went under again from the shock that had traveled form his brain and finally caught up with his body.

Sapph choked and looked up to see the last of the Beedrill turn tail and return to the cover of the trees above.

“Looks like we lost them,” Sapph said to Haley weakly, a faint smile outlining his tired-looking face.

“Please don’t tell me you actually enjoyed that,” Haley groaned, shaking her head in exasperation with a tone of voice to match.

Both trainers began to strike out for the bank but their progress was impeded by…

“Hey, what gives?” Sapph gasped as the river waters got choppier.

“Uh, Sapph we got a problem,” Haley gasped, struggling to stay above the broiling turbulence.

“You mean other than the fact that we may very well drown in a second?” Sapph retorted. “’Cos if that’s it, then I know…”

“We’ve hit the rapids!” Haley screamed, the waves breaking her grip on Sapph’s collar.

“Oh. Is that…we WHAT!” Sapph choked, catching onto what Haley had said before the rapids threw them about violently and even further apart.

The duo was washed downstream rapidly as they were thrown against large rocks which jutted out of the waters’ surface. Both struggled to grab hold of each other, until Sapph was thrown a full five feet out of the water and slammed into a particularly hard rock with a nasty dull thwacking sound.

“SAPPH!” Haley screamed as another powerful current swept her onto the riverbank. Pushing her sopping wet hair out of her eyes, she stared helplessly as Sapph’s limp body slipped back into the foamy river crest and was swept towards what looked like a waterfall.

Before the redheaded trainer could utter a sound, Sapph was whipped down and out of sight. Haley dropped to her knees, total disbelief etched into her face, horror clawing at her insides. She wanted to scream out, to yell, to let the silent air reflect what she was feeling inside, but the sound just wouldn’t come. Just as she was about to finally get her emotions out in the open a voice behind her said” What happened to you? What’s wrong?”

***​

Mongle was seriously starting to hate the forest…

After colliding into Haley and Bubbles, rolling downhill till he was sick and falling eighty feet down a cliff, Mongle had found himself pinned to a small tree which grew out of a smooth rock face with Bubbles and (to his increasing annoyance) Ledyba pinned on top of his back and refusing to budge.

<Hawey? Where’s Hawey?> Bubbles whimpered.

<Ledyba, get…off…me!> Mongle gasped.

<I can’t! I’ll fall!> Ledyba whined in a terrified voice.

<Mongie, I’m scared!> Bubbles said tremulously, looking down at the river about fifty feet below the branch on which the trio were clinging to.

<Me too…> Ledyba whimpered in turn.

<Just get off me, alright? And keep it down! What if Papa Bear comes back?> Mongle gasped, his green face turning blue as Bubbles and Ledyba’s combined weight steadily crushed his lungs in.

<HAWEY! SAP! HAWEY, HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!> Bubbles wailed in a high pitched voice.

<Keep…it…down…Bubbles!> Mongle gasped.

<I want Hawey!!!!> Bubbles bawled, throwing an unhealthy tantrum all over Mongle’s back.

<Bubbles…quit…it…That…hurts…ouch…> Mongle winced as Bubbles beat her tiny paws on his back. A shower of pebbles fell from the roots of the tree and into the river below, though Mongle couldn’t see them hit water.

<Me too…I mean, I want Sapph!> Ledyba sobbed.

<Guys, CALM DOWN!> Mongle yelled so loudly that several Pidgey took off in alarm from the cover of the trees above. Ledyba and Bubbles calmed down long enough for Mongle to take charge of the situation.

<Bubbles? Could you please…SHUT…UP! Ledyba? You moron! You can FLY!> Mongle yelled.

Silence filled the air for about three minutes as the impact of these words hit them.

<I forgot that,> Ledyba said quietly, blushing crimson (not that the others could tell…)

<Great! That’s terrific!> Mongle said sarcastically, one arm dangling limply over the sapling trunk and his face on the other one. <Now, if you could be so kind as to… GET OFF ME BEFORE I SUFFOCATE!>

<Um…okay,> Ledyba said softly, firing up his wings and lifting off the tree, accidentally breaking off some more soil off the roots and causing the tree to swing dangerously towards the cliff face

Bubbles noticed. In a tremulous voice, she called up to Ledyba saying, <Mr. Ladybug, sir? I’m scared, help me!>

The bough shifted again. It looked ready to give way any second…

<Uh, Ledyba? Any time you wanna get us outta here?> Mongle chirped, a trace of his panic now reflecting in his usually cocky voice. Grass types may be resistant to water attacks, but that didn’t mean that they could swim.

The roots left the cliff suddenly and the Leaf Squirrel and Water Hare Pokémon found themselves starting to fall.

<LEDYBAAAA!!> Mongle screamed as he felt gravity begin to do its work as though in slow motion just before he felt a huge amount of pain at his rear end.

<OwowowowowowowowOWWW! Watch what you grabbin’ up there!> Mongle yelled as Ledyba had reached out and grabbed the nearest part of Mongle he could reach, which happened to be his tail.

<OW! My earsie, my earsie, my earsie!> Bubbles whimpered as another of the Bug type’s six hands found her ear.

<Sorry, guys! Sorry! Don’t twist so much, please…sorry buddy! So…> Ledyba began to apologize profusely

<Ledyba, it’s OK… just get us up to the top before my tail leaf breaks off my butt!> Mongle yelled.

A few painful seconds later, the trio was standing safely at the top of the ledge, nursing their injuries and apologizing profusely once again.

<We need to find the others,> Mongle said, testing to see if he could still twitch his tail leaf as he turned to address the other two. < And fast. Ledyba, see if you can see where Sapph or Haley went from the air…>

<Leave it to me,> Ledyba said, firing up his wings again and lifting off to the treetops to take a look around.

A minute later, Ledyba landed and informed the grass Pokémon: <There seems to be a wrecked bridge about a hundred yards from here. The debris is floating downhill,>

<OK, so now we know where they went, we’d better follow.> Mongle said softly.

<Yeah,> Ledyba nodded.

<Uh, Mongie, Mr. Ladybug?> Bubbles said in a quivery voice.

<What?> They said in unison.

<Are Hawey and Mr. Sap OK?>

Mongle and Ledyba exchanged looks and Mongle said gently, <We’re not sure yet, Bubbles. We’re going to look for them now. Ledyba?> He added, turning to his team mate. < I know you’re tired but we need you to scout ahead for danger from the trees as we move. I just don’t want to meet the big bad Grizzlar any time soon…>

Ledyba nodded fervently and took to the sky once more…

***​

Haley was to be found ten minutes later in the ranger’s hut being made a hot cup of tea by the forest warden. She had recounted her adventures in the woods that had resulted in her eventual separation from her precious Bubbles and Sapph, the boy who would die at her hands if Bubbles was hurt in any way.

“Hmm, not the luckiest fellow in the world, is he?” the warden said, getting up to tend to the pot, which had begun to whistle.

“And then he… he,” Haley hiccoughed.

“Ah, don’t worry, the fall won’t kill him,” the warden said kindly, setting the tea before Haley.

“R-really?” Haley said, looking up at him, her face glazed with tears.

“Nope, and I’m sure you’re Aquari is fine. In fact, if she’s really as smart as you say she is, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s on her way to EverWood Town right now,” The ranger went on sipping his tea.

“Really?!” Haley squealed with joy.

“Yeah, I mean, I’ve fallen off those falls once a month, and I’m still in one piece! Though that was just to get nursed back to health by that cute nurse at the Pokémon Centre,” the warden chortled.

Haley sweat dropped.

***​

The last thing Sapph thought about before the rock was why the heck he was never serious in gym class about swimming. Now all Sapph felt was warm, comfortable and dry.

Dry? Sapph thought slowly, his brain gaining momentum and pain at the same time. I thought water was meant to be wet…

“Uh?” Sapph moaned groggily as his eyes fluttered open to see whiteness all around him. “Is this heaven?”

Suddenly a familiar, pink-haired lady’s face appeared above him and said, “Not quite,”

Sapph stared blankly at her for a few seconds and mumbled “How’d I get… where ever I am?”

“You’re in EverWood Town Pokémon Centre,” Nurse Joy replied.

“EverWood?”

“That’s right, and you arrived in a rather- er- unique fashion,” Nurse Joy went on, shooting a quelling look at her Chansey who looked ready to drop Sapph’s down on the bed and burst out laughing.

“But I thought I saw you in Olville,” Sapph said, his mind grinding a little faster.

<Gee, he’s a quick one, isn’t he?> Chansey said dryly, not that Sapph could understand her. His trying to only made his head hurt worse.

“Well, who you saw in Olville was my mother’s sister’s second cousin thrice removed,” Nurse Joy explained clearly (Again, Sapph forgot about trying to grasp what she said…his head was killing him from just hearing that explanation).

“My little sister brought you in,” Nurse Joy explained. “She said something about you moving downstream as she was in the forest…”

Sapph was suddenly remembering everything in fast forward… the Grizzlar… crashing into Haley…the Beedrill… the bridge…

Sitting bolt upright, Sapph spun around so fast his neck cricked and asked frantically “Nurse Joy, were my Pokémon found?”

“…I mean, everyone keeps going on about how alike we all… sorry?” Nurse Joy said, lost in her ramble about her family.

Desperate to master his panic, Sapph said slowly, “My Pokémon… a Mongle and a Ledyba… did she find them? Your sister, I mean…”

Exchanging a bewildered look with Chansey, Nurse Joy said, “I don’t really recall a Mongle or Ledyba being brought in toda… where are you going?” she suddenly gasped, for Sapph had thrown off the covers off his hospital bed and started to pull on his jeans.

“If they’re not here, I gotta go find them,” Sapph muttered distractedly, now lacing his sneakers and standing up.

“Right now?” Nurse Joy asked in surprise.

“Right now,” Sapph said grimly, pulling his damp T-shirt on.

<Right now?!> The Chansey echoed in disbelief as Sapph stared around looking for his bag.

“With all those wild Pokémon out there?” Nurse Joy went on. ”You can’t! Without your Pokémon and no knowledge of the terrain, you’ll never get far!”

“Neither will they,” Sapph said seriously, finally spotting his bag over by the wall and proceeding to pick it up.

“You injured, it’s getting late and you still want to go out there?” Nurse Joy went on.

“Exactly,” Sapph said with a tone of finality before slinging his bag over his head and dashing out through the door.

The two orderlies looked at the doorway and then at each other.

<Better get your beauty sleep, Nurse Joy,> Chansey sad bemusedly, looking back at the doorway through which Sapph had run out into the corridor. <We’ll have a lot of pieces to look for in the morning…>

***​

<Mongie, my tootsies hurt,> Bubbles moaned.

<Again?!> Mongle asked incredulously, turning to run back up the path to where the Aquari slumped against the beech tree’s roots, rubbing her sore paws for what must have been the thirtieth time since they’d started moving.

<At this rate, we’ll never find Sapph,> Ledyba moaned, landing between the twosome.

<What aba Hawey?> Bubbles said tremulously.

<C’mon, we gotta move here!> Mongle said in a take-charge sort of voice.

<I want Hawey!!> Bubbles bawled.

<Bubbles, zip it and move!> Mongle said roughly.

<But my tootsies huuuuurrrt!. Bubbles shrieked as Moongle tried to pull her up to her feet.

<Mongle, she’s just a baby. There’s no need to get…> Ledyba said softly.

<All babies grow up, Ledyba!> Mongle said angrily.

<I’m no baby!> Bubbles said squeakily.

<Oh yeah, you are!> Mongle retorted.

<Mongle, lighten up!> Ledyba said concernedly moving to pry Bubbles free of Mongle’s grip.

<Keep outta this, Bug Head!> Mongle yelled.

<Who do you think you’re calling Bug Head, you… you…Leaf Butt!> Ledyba yelled back.

<I WANNA HAWEY!> Bubbles screamed.

<SHUT UP, BUBBLES!> Mongle yelled at her.

<Mongle, that’s enough!> Ledyba said angrily.

<Whoa, man…what’s with the angry tones here?> A slow, deliberate voice piped up suddenly.

<Didn’t I tell you to can it…huh, who are you?> Mongle said in surprise, noticing that he and his friends weren’t alone anymore.

A small, spiny creature had emerged from behind a tree. It was barely a foot tall and had strangely bloodshot eyes as though sleep wasn’t its main forte.

<Hey, that’s a Spinocle,> Ledyba said quietly, turning to face the new arrival. Bubbles stopped crying and scurried behind Mongle as the creature meandered tipsily up to the trio.

<Yo, dudes. What’s hangin’?> the Spinocle went on, stopping before them and gazing blearily around the threesome.

<Well, we’re looking for…> Ledyba began, but Mongle stepped in and muttered <Let me handle this hippie hedgehog.> Ledyba shrugged and stood aside to give room for Mongle make a total fool of himself.

<Errm…yo. We’re like, err, scopin’ the…the- erm…area for our lost human dudes,> Mongle slurred.

<Is Hawey a dude, Mr. Ladybug?> Bubbles asked Ledyba, who’d slapped his face with one of his small palms.

<Human dudes? You mean the pair who went for some gnarly diving practice?> the Spinocle queried in his mellow voice.

<Yeah, those human dudes! You seen them?> Mongle said excitedly.

<Think Seemore saw one fall over the ‘fall a piece down the road… hmm should be in Everwood by now…> The Spinocle demurred.

A tic was going ff in Mongle’s cheek now. <Hey, junkie. In case you’ve never heard, we’re in Everwood!>

<Junkie?> the Spinocle repeated slowly.

<Mongle, he means EverWood Town,> Ledyba said exasperatedly.

<Really? Oh, sorry, man> Mongle said calmly.

<We could ask Seemore, man,> the Spinocle went on. <He hangs with us at the Mushroom Spot. Comin’ to hang, dude?>

<Sure!> Mongle said calmly. <C’mon guys!>

<Are you sure, Mongle?> Ledyba said uncomfortably.

<Yeah, I’m sure! Have I ever steered you wrong?> Mongle said, leading the way after the retreating Spinocle’s tail.

<No, but I’d rather you don’t start now,> Ledyba muttered furtively, turning to keep Bubbles in sight.

Fifteen minutes later, the trio had been led to an overgrown patch of weird purple mushrooms and jam-packed with about fifty other Spinocle, engaged in sniffing the mushrooms and other relaxation activities.

<Hey, Seemore, man,>the Spinocle said to another one comparatively larger than himself though otherwise perfectly identical to him, form the drooping eyelids and spines to the sagging eye bags. <See any human dudes around the forest today?>

<Human dudes?> Seemore’s voice was deeper that the other Spinocle’s, though just as slow. <That’s a deep one, man…>

<Yah,man…deep…> the first Spinocle said.

<Wanna reflect on it in a mush?> Seemore asked the first Spinocle, regarding the clump of mushrooms balefully.

<Sure, man,> the Spinocle who’d guided them there said as it shuffled towards a clump of mushrooms and started inhaling their pungent scent.

<Wanna drag, man?> Seemore asked the trio of outsiders to the community. <Helps the brain get pumping, loosens circulation, all that deep stuff, man…>

<Erm, no thanks,> Ledyba said hurriedly.

Mongle shrugged. <Hey, when in Rome…> he told the others before joining Seemore and their porcupine guide.

<I wan’ Hawey,> Bubbles moaned.

<We’ll find her, Bubbles, don’t worry,> Ledyba assured her.

Fluttering over to Mongle, he asked, <So? Any clues?>

<Clues?> Mongle said slowly, his eyes red. <That’s deep, man….real deep…>

<Moron!> Ledyba thought, turning back to where he’d left Bubbles, only to find she was gone.

<Arrgh! Mongle, we’ve lost Bubbles!> Ledyba said desperately.

<Hey, man…wanna whiff?> Mongle said sedately, draping himself heavily against Ledyba’s back and wafting one of the narcotic mushrooms under Ledyba’s face.

<Okay, that’s it! Move it!> Ledyba said firmly, yanking Mongle away from the clearing.

<Come back soon, man!> the Spinocle called after them.

<Yeah, come and share the stuff soon!> Seemore added.

<Not on your life!> Ledyba thought furtively.

***​

“MONGLE, LEDYBAA! Where are you guys?” Sapph yelled, hobbling up the path, one hand clutching his side, the other cupped around his mouth.

This isn’t working, and it’s getting dark, Sapph thought helplessly, looking helplessly around himself. I’ve gotta find those two, fast!

He winced as he placed his hands to his waist region, to massage his bruised ribs. He winced again and removed them.

“Damn, that hurts,” he groaned. He stumbled a little way along the path and leaned heavily against a tree trunk, breathing heavily.

“Darn it all,” Sapph murmured, his eyes itching with fatigue.

Suddenly a scream rent the air followed by a familiar roar. Sapph eyes snapped wide open.

“Uh, oh,” Sapph thought helplessly, scrambling to his feet and looking wildly around. “Somebody’s in trouble!”

After a moment’s indecision, Sapph set off at a slow sprint off the path towards the source of the noise. Trees seemed to flash by as he rushed onwards, the pain in his ribs seemingly non-existent as he ran on, not knowing what he was going to do when he found who’d screamed, not knowing what he could do in his condition, but knowing he had to do something. Fast.

At the top of a small hillock, Sapph saw it. The hulking mass of black and gold fur had her cornered against a cliff face with nowhere to go. In her hand he saw something red and white clutched in her had and recognized it.

My cap! Sapph thought frantically. Grizzlar must think she’s me because my scent’s on the cap!

It was official. Sapph had to act and quickly. Noticing the shrub on the girl’s left could be used as an escape path, Sapph ran as fast as his body could let him towards her right side, watching the Grizzlar’s left paw rise high above her petrified form, ripping claws extending, ready to deal the final blow…

Seven feet away, Sapph stumbled, losing control of his gait and barreling rather unceremoniously into the terrified girl, knocking her off her feet and into the bush just as the terrifying Nocturnal Bear Pokémon’s claws flashed in a slashing motion. Inch-deep gouge marks appeared in the rock surface. She had missed. Roaring in fury, the Grizzlar decided to give up the chase and go find some real food for her cubs.

Sapph, for the second time that day, found himself tumbling downhill, slamming on his butt back on the path he’d left mere minutes ago. He howled in pain as his ribs stung painfully. Quickly stifling the noise he was making, he strained his ears for any trace of the pursuing Grizzlar. After a few minutes of silence, he exhaled with relief and looked down at the scratched and shaking girl. Her green eyes were wide with fear and slowly filling with tears.

“I –I j-j-just picked it up by the river…then it ch-chased me… I thought… I thought,” she stammered, looking at his face wildly as though it had just sprouted black hair and fangs.

Sapph didn’t know what to say or do. He’d never been this close to a girl since Haley, and that was before she started destroying buildings. He stretched out an uncertain hand, brushed a lock of pink hair out of her fear-filled eyes and smiled a small smile.

“Don’t worry,” he said soothingly, “I’ve got you…it’s OK…”

The girl stared at him for a minute, her face turning red, and passed out.

Weird, Sapph thought helplessly, looking down at her unconscious form. Girls are just plain weird…

He got to his feet and hoisted the girl with him wondering which way it was back to the town when a Noctowl flew overhead, saw them and turned.

<Hey, kid! You OK?> the Noctowl called out.

“Yeah… d’you think you can get us back to EverWood Town?” Sapph replied, surprising himself that he’d understood the Noctowl.

<Sure thing, follow me!> the Noctowl said, turning around and flying back along the path from whence it came. Lifting the girl’s body a little higher Sapph, followed…

***​

“This is hopeless,” the warden told Haley, turning his flash light towards the distraught researcher.

“Please, one more run over the path?” Haley pleaded.

“Sorry honey, but we’ve been out on the path for the last seven hours and we haven’t seen so much of a shred of blue fur,” the warden said firmly. “We’ll head for the town and ask if they’ve seen it there. I’m sorry, but there’s little else we can do,” the warden added, walking back to the jeep and climbing in. Haley slowly followed.

Just as the vehicle’s headlights flickered on and the jeep began to move forward, Bubbles wandered onto the path in front of the oncoming vehicle.

“STOP! It’s Bubbles!” Haley squealed, unbuckling her seat belt as the warden stomped on the brakes.

Haley jumped out as the jeep screeched to a halt and ran up the path where Bubbles had fallen.

“Bubbles hang on! It’s me! You’re safe now!” Haley squealed, lifting her Water Hare Pokémon and hugging her close.

<Hawey…> Bubbles said happily before slumping into an exhausted faint in her trainer’s arms.

“We’d better get her to the Pokémon Centre, it’s nearer than my cabin,” the warden said, who’d hurried over to the redhead. Haley looked up and nodded fervently.

As they raced to the Pokémon Centre, what sounded faintly like a loud roar and a terrified scream wafted through the gloom of the trees around them.

Uh oh, the warden thought worriedly. Something’s wrong out there and it’s too dark to see anything beyond the path…I’d better get these two to the centre and get out there…in the meantime…

“Go, Noctowl!” the warden yelled throwing a pokéball into the air, producing a flash of light which dimmed to form a large brown owl-like Pokémon with rows of darker triangles covering it’s chest and seriously bushy eyebrows atop its beady eyes.

“Noctowl, use your Foresight to scan the forest for Ol’ Flo,” he said quickly. “When you see her, use Flash to indicate her position…I’m going to the Pokémon Centre, I’ll catch up a.s.a.p.!”

<OK,> Noctowl nodded, taking off.

“Who’s Ol’ Flo?” Haley asked as they ran back to the jeep and the warden started the engine.

“Local Grizzlar,” the ranger said tersely, speeding along the path towards EverWood Town. “I’ll say this, she makes taking the warning ‘Do Not Feed The Animals’ a matter of life and death.”

***​

<What the hell’s your problem?! What’s with the attempted drowning attempt?!> Mongle yelled.

They were at a small brook at the foot of the falls where Sapph had fallen hours ago. Mongle face was sopping wet and Ledyba took his time shaking his paws free of dust. Apparently, Ledyba had dragged Mongle to the river bank and shoved him in, tail and all.

<While you were getting high on crack fungi, Bubbles wandered off! We’ve got to find her!> Ledyba shot back, after straightening up and shaking the water off his hands.

After about three minutes of staring at each other, Mongle’s eyes snapped open in horror.

<Bubbles is gone?! Why didn’t you say so?! Don’t just stand there, we’ve gotta find her! Come on!>

Ledyba shook his head as he fluttered off after Mongle back onto the path to EverWood Town. They’d barely made it when a bush before them shook violently.

<It’s the Grizzlar!> they screamed, hugging each other for dear life.

But for once, they were lucky to be wrong. It wasn’t the Grizzlar, but Sapph, carrying a young girl his age in his arms, his cap on her lap together with a Noctowl.

<SAPPH!> Both Pokémon yelled joyously.

“Hey guys, where have you been? Never mind,” he added hastily, noticing that a long-winded explanation was coming up. “Let’s beat it before Mama Bear gets here.”

The Pokémon duo nodded fervently and set off at a trot towards EverWood Town…

***​

“C’mon…Where’s the flash, Noctowl?” The ranger said worriedly, scanning the sky with his binoculars from outside the Pokémon Centre as twilight descended on the treetops of the Forest.

Forty minutes had passed since the forest warden had driven into EverWood Forest. Haley and Bubbles had left the Pokémon Centre half an hour later for the guest lodge across town. The warden and the senior nurse on duty had kept a vigil since she’d departed, concern growing into worry, worry growing into panic.

Joy, the senior Nurse Joy said worriedly, her hands clasped in front of her in prayer, her worried eyes looking desperately into the gloom of the trees.

The Chansey came out with a mug of hot cocoa and a thick blanket for her trainer.

“Thank you, Chansey,” Nurse Joy said gratefully, accepting the items from the Egg Pokémon.

<No problem, it’s a relief that I only have to worry about one nurse here,> Chansey said, as she turned back into the building to check on the patients.

“No good, if your sister’s still in there, I’ve gotta go in without – Noctowl!” the warden said suddenly staring as a pair of red eyes gleamed from in between the trees. A moment later, the Owl Pokémon flew out of the woods towards its trainer, followed by Sapph, the junior Nurse Joy, Mongle and Ledyba.

“What kept you?” The ranger asked his Noctowl in a tone of worry.

“Joy!” Nurse Joy screamed running to meet Sapph. The ranger quickly returned his Pokémon and followed suit.

“Is she OK? Is she hurt? Oh, thank you, thank you!” Nurse Joy said frantically, lifting her sister from Sapph’s arms.

“She’s fine…she’s just tired” Sapph began before passing out himself. The ranger caught him and said to Nurse Joy, “We’d better get these two in,”

Nodding, Nurse Joy and the ranger carried the youngsters in, Mongle and Ledyba bringing up the rear.

<Great,> Mongle said exhaustedly, <We spend all day looking for him and he gets prior attention.>

<Tell me about it,> Ledyba replied wearily.

<I can remedy that> A female Pokémon voice said.

Mongle and Ledyba looked up to see Chansey looking at them with a playful kind of malice on her face. Like a Nurse that called a Body Slam attack the Heimlich maneuver.

<Oh, dear…> Ledyba said in a tiny voice, his antenna drooping.

Mongle stared at the nurse and said timidly:

<Could you give me a moment to draw up my will?>

-End Flashback-

<CHANSEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!>

“Hunh? Oh, thank you, Nurse Chansey.” Sapph said cheerfully, coming out of his reverie and taking back his fully healed Pokémon. “Dinner time, guys! Come on out!” He then called out to his Pokémon releasing them for some food and fresh air.

Both Pokémon appeared in flashes of red light. Mongle greeted Sapph cheerfully and dug in enthusiastically. Ledyba quietly glanced at him before tucking in with much less zest.

“Hmm, what wrong, Ledyba?” Sapph questioned worriedly, looking down at his shy companion.

<I’m sorry…> Ledyba began.

<What for?> Mongle asked, his mouth filled to bursting with food. Chansey chose this moment to come out of the operating theatre, her arms laden with bandages. She gave Mongle a severely disgusted look before turning around and starting to half stalk-half waddle away from the waiting room.

<Yesterday. I should have done as much as Mongle, Sapph. I’m sorry.> Ledyba mumbled.

“What d’you mean by that? Ledyba, you did do as much as Mongle. You were both excellent then in my eyes and I know that you’ll get even better.” Sapph said, smiling proudly.

<Yeah! I mean, who backed me up when we tackled Spinarak? Who caught me when I was falling? Who provided air cover when Bubbles and I needed it? You did, Ledyba. You watched my back for me, then. I know you’ll do it again and again. You’re my friend and team mate, and both do that for one another. You were better than me at times in that battle, and may be better than me many more times in future, both of us know that! So relax!> Mongle said, suddenly starting to choke on a larger chunk of pokéchow.

<Thank you, guys.> Ledyba said quietly, smiling and eating much faster now.

<URGH! Sapph, how’d you cook this junk?> Mongle choked, tears suddenly streaming out of his eyes. <OI! OWW! Not so flippin’ hard, Ledyba! Oww! Oww!! OWW!!!> he added, as Ledyba whacked him on the back with one of his tiny palms, causing food to go flying right into Chansey’s face, who’d just reappeared.

The normally motherly Pokémon had had enough of this gross behaviour for one evening and decided to let Mongle know this by Double Slapping the Leaf Squirrel Pokémon across the room.

<Oops, sorry Mongle… SORRY!> Ledyba cringed, watching Mongle fly out from in front of him clean into a wall.

Sapph could only smile at them.

They’ve come so far already… the league had better watch out for these two in the future, ‘cause they’ll be more than a force to be reckoned with, alone and together!

“Awww, if it isn’t widdle Sapphire,” cooed a mocking baby voice.

Sapph became rigid as he turned around. He knew who was there, but the knowledge of this didn’t make Sapph relieved in the slightest to see Kamren standing there with Calvin, his sister Carla and Dex.

“Hi, widdle Kammy,” Sapph retorted, “Who’re the widdle losers, who’re the widdle losers?” he added, looking around the group.

Carla opened her mouth and Dex started towards Sapph, but Kamren stopped them both.

“Never you two mind, I’ll take him on, unless he’s chicken!” Kamren taunted, rolling Burner’s shrunken pokéball between his fingers.

“I’m no chicken…” Sapph began.

“Besides,” a younger Nurse Joy said, joining them at the table and keeping Chansey from further injuring Mongle (who had just picked himself off the wall and let off a rude comment about Chansey’s girth), “Ledyba and Mongle have just eaten, they can’t fight you now, no matter how much…”

“…I’d love to whup you and Burner’s…” Sapph protested.

“Yeah, right, chicken boy! That rat can’t even fight off a wussy Chansey!” Kamren taunted.

Chansey couldn’t take the night’s rudeness anymore, and stalked off once more to look for the senior Nurse-on-Duty to hand in a request for transferral to another Pokémon Centre away from spitting Mongles and egotistical redheaded blonds in the cause of protecting her over wounded feelings.

“Why, you…”

”Leave it, Sapph!” Nurse Joy Jr. pleaded.

<Yeah! We’ll settle them later!> Mongle growled, rearranging his face and glaring at the foursome.

<Who’re ‘they’, Mongle?> Ledyba queried.

<Dirt.> Mongle answered, his eyes still fixed on the source of his trainer’s anger.

“Like I said, ‘Yeah, right!’” Kamren laughed, turning to leave.

“Why’d you stop me?” Sapph asked furiously, turning to face Nurse Joy Jr.., who didn’t meet Sapph’s glaring eyes

“Because he’s nasty! He’d just hurt you’re Pokémon real bad!” she said, trying (and failing, as Sapph suddenly noticed) to stem the flow of tears in her eyes.

“We’ve already had three of his victims’ teams in here already for serious burns and scars,” Nurse Joy Sr. said, coming out of the ward with a seemingly much calmer Chansey.

Sapph’s head jerked up suddenly at this. “Victims?!”

Nurse Joy Sr. nodded as Chansey walked back into the theatre, her arms filled with fresh bandages and plasters and pointedly ignoring Mongle, who tried to stay out of the Egg Pokémon’s path in case she went anal all over him. “We don’t want to raise the injury toll either, Sapph.” She added, looking pointedly at Sapph.

Sapph blushed. “I’m sorry,” he said to the Nurse Joys. “I’m glad you stopped me. I don’t want Mongle or Ledyba hurt again too soon either.”

<SO WHAT DID YOU DO WHEN THAT CRAZY CHANSEY ATTACKED ME, HUNH?!!> Mongle yelled.

“Um…that’s OK,” Nurse Joy Jr. said, hugging Sapph tight and running off to the ward, blushing crimson.

“Errrrr… what was that all about?” Sapph asked bewildered looking at Nurse Joy Sr, who just smiled and followed her little sister to the recovery room.

Mongle whispered something to Ledyba, who looked at Sapph and giggled.

“What?” Sapph asked.

At this, both Pokémon burst out laughing, rolling all over the floor.

“WHAT?” Sapph asked again.

Mongle and Ledyba completely flipped in hysterics.

“GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYYSSS!” Sapph half-moaned, half-yelled.

***​

How was Chapter Six? I know, I know, there was a rivalry clash just begging to happen and it didn’t. Tough! There’ll be one soon so relax! The ending is for comic relief, not romance! ;-) Don’t forget, your comments count!

Okay, L@er!

Last edited:

Diddy

Renegade
Woot! Awesome fic, Sapph is a pretty cool character and I doubt there are many fics on this site that star a Ledyba as a main characters Pokemon on account of them being not so strong like.

I just finished reading all the chapters that have been posted which was quite a feat seeing as they were quite long.

And another Woot! for Nurse Joy Jr. and no matter how much you say it that ending spells a love interest for our precious gem of a main character.

Expect more reviews from me.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
Double-posting a chapter. Good job, dude.

Anyway, once again, we have upped the rivalry factor. Once again, Haley angers things. Once again, Mongle incurrs the wrath of the Chansey. Once again, Sapph shows how utterly screwed he is.

We do have something new though...Do I smell a love triangle?

As usual, the trainer is teased for the love relationship. X_X

I shall wait for your next chapter because I feel that somehow, it is worth the wait.

Pika out.

MerlockVonBaron

Me again

What's up? Hey, I have some ideas for some made up pokemon. I can give you some and if you're looking for another traveling partner, let me know. Keep writing.

icemew

Banned
Wow, Sapph's pokemon aren't at all competent...I guess they made it out mostly okay, but a Ledyba forgetting it can fly and a Moogle that's sidetracked by drugs... Well, at least Bubbles was okay even after getting separated.

And Kamren's more of a jerk each time he shows up. I hope Sapph will get a chance to fight him soon... then again with his luck maybe it's better they wait a while.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Appreciation

hey guys! thanks for reviews!

Felix (name or not, that's who you are to me...): rawr. glad you liked it... next chappie ready, just got a gym battle coming up so stay on!

MVB: sure! that'll be awesome! TCQ is far from over, so hold on and hope i can make the targeted 60 chapters!

icemew: don't worry, they'll get serious sooner or later... we'll get a sneak preview of a new team mate in the next couple of chapters. stay fixed! next chapter should be ready in a day or two! Later!

Diddy: thank you so much! glad you're enjoying TCQ! People like Sapph more because he's the epitome of murphy's law! Enjoy what is to come!

Last edited:

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Gym Battle number one! As wellas some more non-shipping garble...

Crazy irrelevant ranting crap: Oh-kaay, so it's another double post. so sue and screw me over...pant, pant...DkZM0mA, Saffire Persian, where the hell are you guys? C'mon, i won't bite ya! Rip the chapter open with thine critique and plaster it with thine comments,i prithee! Uni sucks like hell!!! death to communists!!! Long live a country i couldn't care less about! i got no brains and eat wheatabix for breakfast!

okay, ranting over...now onto the revised chapter!

Chapter Seven: Quit Buggin’! Vs. Cassandra!​

The next day dawned bright and sunny at the Pokémon Centre. In a hospital bed, Sapph woke up the next morning with his eyes tightly shut and feeling twice as much pain as he’d felt after his first visit to the dentist.

I’ve gotta stop winding up here, Sapph thought furtively.

Thinking the pain had woken him, he kept them shut, hoping the pain would go away until he felt a hand brushing his hair off his forehead. Opening his eyes, the first thing he saw were a pair of bright green eyes under a slightly pink forehead a few inches away.

“What the-“ Sapph asked, sitting bolt upright and causing Nurse Joy Jr. to drop a breakfast tray in surprise as she backed away.

“Oh! I-I’m s-s-sorry! I d-didn’t mean to-to…” Nurse Joy Jr. stammered, looking aghast as Sapph pulled a pair of fried eggs off of his face and popped them in his mouth.

“No worries… hey, this is good! Did you make this?” Sapph said jocularly, pulling a strip of slightly burnt bacon from behind his ear and eating that too. The young nurse nodded, blushing to the roots of her pink hair.

“Um…thanks for saving me yesterday,” she said, not looking at Sapph.

“My pleasure, Nurse Joy Jr.” Sapph said cheerfully. Not to mention my responsibility, he added mentally.

“P-please, you can call me Joy, uh… Mr. Sapph,” She said quickly, blushing some more.

“Deal. You can call me Sapph,” Sapph said with a smile.

They stared at each other for a moment before the door slid open again and Chansey said <I told you we’d need a second tray…> Both heads spun towards the doorway.

“Be quiet, Chansey,” Nurse Joy muttered back.

<G’morning, Sleeping Beauty!> Chansey said, waddling over with the older Nurse Joy, who carried a second breakfast tray, and Mongle and Ledyba who looked fully recovered following in the Egg Pokemon's wake.

“We better go, we’ve other patients to look after,” Nurse Joy Sr. told her little sister, who nodded, still looking anywhere but at Sapph in her embarrassment.

“I’ll come too,” Sapph said eagerly, “just let me get my shirt…”

“You really don’t need to,” Nurse Joy Sr. said. “We are indebted to you, you know,”

“Then think of this as paying me back!” Sapph said jovially, grinning from ear to ear.

***​

That evening in the Pokémon Centre, Sapph lay back on his bed in a lodging room, staring out of the window at the Corei sunset, deep in thought.

He’d spent the most of the morning and afternoon at the Centre, helping the two Nurse Joys and Nurse Chansey tend to the injured Pokémon. He reasoned that by exposing Mongle and Ledyba to as many different species of Pokémon as possible, they would handle being in battle against them much more easily in future, particularly Ledyba. It also served as a way of keeping Chansey from hunting Mongle down for his blood. Furthermore, it served a third purpose of giving Sapph a good idea of and chance to figure out which Pokémon would work out on his team.

Victims…so that’s where Kamren’s going… Sapph thought furiously to himself, his eyes narrowing slightly in the gathering gloom. I’ll show him… those Pokémon didn’t deserve that kind of treatment, even if it was in battle…

One thing puzzled Sapph though…as he rose from the bed to release Mongle and Ledyba, he decided to ask them a couple of questions…

“Come on out guys.” Sapph said, releasing his Pokémon.

Mongle leapt on to Sapph’s bed and began bouncing up and down on it.

<What’s… up… Sapph?> the Leaf Squirrel Pokémon asked between bounces.

<Is something wrong? Can we help?> Ledyba queried, hovering before his trainer with a worried look at Sapph’s unusually sombre face.

“No, nothing’s wrong. I just wanted to talk… you know, about this afternoon…” Sapph mused, more to himself than to his audience.

<I’d have thought that would have been obvious, even for you!> Mongle chirped as Ledyba nodded.

“Whaddya mean?” Sapph asked, totally nonplussed.

<Nurse Joy Jr.!> Ledyba chortled.

<No…make that Joy,> Mongle snickered.

“Hunh?” Sapph said nonplussed, unaware that footsteps had stopped outside his slightly opened door.

<OK, let’s review…crimson cheeks whenever you looked at her…> Mongle began to list, holding up a hand to tick off the points.

“Yeah,” Sapph said slowly, still oblivious to where this conversation was obviously heading for.

<Super accident-prone in your presence…> Mongle went on.

“Uhhh-hunh,” Sapph said slowly, arms and legs crossed as his brow furrowed in thought.

<Timid stuttering…> Ledyba said brightly.

<Yeah, yeah, good one, Ledyba!> Mongle said nodding vigorously as he ticked off that point and went on. <Absentmindedness… Head lost in the clouds all the while when working…>

“Still don’t follow…” Sapph went on, his eyes reduced to slits as he pondered the arguments being propounded.

<Oy…you…you mean…didn’t you notice anything about her Ledyba-like disposition around you, especially when you looked at her or said something to her?> the Mongle asked, a totally incredulous look on its face.

<HEY! What d’you mean, “Ledyba-like”?> Ledyba demanded in an unusually heated tone.

“Now that you mention it, she was kinda… I dunno, shy… what about it?” Sapph mumbled, uncrossing his arms and legs and rising to a squatting position and staring suspiciously at his two companions, starting (at very long last) to cotton on to his Pokémon’s assumptions.

<Only the fact that she may have a crush on you!> Mongle taunted.

Sapph jaw dropped to the mattress.

“No. No way,” Sapph said in disbelief, blushing slightly.

<Sure does, Sherlock! Hey, are you bwushing? Does widdle Sappy like the little cutie nursey-wursey too?> Mongle asked, a sly, cat-like grin unfurling on his face as he noticed Sapph flush.

“You guys are nuts! Totally. Flipped. THAT’S what this was about?!” Sapph demanded slowly, a look of hilarious incredulity on his face.

<Yeah. Well, it was funny from my point of view,> Ledyba said innocently.

“You guys are so… totally… flipped! Even if by some rare, crazy fluke that were true…and I ain’t saying that the latter part is,” Sapph added hastily as the duo let out a loud whoop of gleeful laughter. “She’d totally prefer Rubin to me. Everyone has and does...” Sapph trailed off, looking away as his voice shrunk to a mumble.

<That’s not true! We don’t!> Ledyba cried out, looking slightly hurt.

<Neither do Mrs. Kent or Haley,> Mongle reasoned, temporarily ceasing in his messing up of Sapph's bed to fix him with a kindly eye.

Sapph fell silent for a while. They were right. Mongle and Ledyba hadn’t even seen Rubin before, and Haley and Mrs. Kent were always there for him, despite all they’d heard about his twin brother. He felt a faint prickling in the corner of his eyes and smiled as happiness filled him.

“Thanks, guys.” Sapph said quietly. “You’d better get back, it’s late and I plan to reach Entover City before nightfall tomorrow.”

<Okay.> Ledyba said, disappearing into his Pokéball.

<G’night, Lover Boy!> Mongle snickered once more as he disappeared into his ball.

“Those guys… just nuts…” Sapph muttered bemusedly as he rolled over onto his side, dreaming of defeating Rubin soundly as he snorted and snored. There was silence for a while and the footsteps continued down the hallway…

***​

The next morning, Sapph felt ready to go. The morning sun shone brightly as he said his goodbyes to the nurses at the Centre.

“Thank you for all your help yesterday, Sapph. Look after yourself. Don’t forget to give us a call from time to time, especially at Entover, okay?” Nurse Joy Sr said.

“Sure thing, Nurse Joy Sr.! Bye, Chansey!” Sapph said, raising a hand in farewell.

<CHANSEEEEEEEEE!> The Egg Pokémon chimed, waddling forward to hug Sapph goodbye. She seemed much calmer than she was two evenings ago now that the thorn in her flesh was out of sight.

“Say, Nurse Joy? Where’s your little sister?” Sapph asked, looking around.

“I’m not sure, Sapph… she said she had to get something…” Nurse Joy Sr said, also looking around.

“Um, okay, I guess I’ll see her around soon.” Sapph shrugged, turning to leave. “Bye!”

<Ah, mon ami, missing your leetle romance alreadee?> Mongle chirped with a phony French accent ruined by the fact that he was laughing hard.

<Careful, Sapph,> Ledyba added in a serious tone, although his eyes sparkled with mischief as well. <Haley won’t like that kind of competition.>

Mongle fell off Sapph’s shoulder and screamed with mirth, rolling all over the road.

“Oh, ha, ha, you two…real funny,” Sapph said, rolling his eyes and returning the Pokémon to the confines of their orbs.

Sapph didn’t have to go too far before seeing the junior Nurse Joy. He’d barely left the outskirts of EverWood Town when he heard his name being called. Turning around, he saw the young nurse running towards him with a parcel in her arms.

Nurse Joy Jr. seemed slightly sadder than the others did when Sapph said goodbye.

“Uh Sapph, this is for you…” she said, holding out the package, blushing.

“Thanks. But it’s not my birthday,” Sapph said, shaking it to try figuring it out. Whatever it was felt soft.

The nurse giggled shyly.

“Urgh, I give up… what is it?” Sapph asked, giving up trying to guess without opening it.

“Uh… not too much… just something for your journey…d’you like it?” she asked nervously, as Sapph unwrapped a bright red anorak with a pair of red and black riding gloves.

Sapph was momentarily speechless. “Wow…uh, thanks a million, Joy…erm, I mean…thanks, Nurse Joy.” He said, putting on the anorak over his round neck shirt, causing Nurse Joy Jr. to smile shyly.

“Bye, Sapph.” Nurse Joy Jr. said softly, blushing. “I’ll… I’ll…”

It was the second time in three days that Sapph had been in such an awkward situation before, and was still not handling it too well. Trying to look cool, he reached out to scratch the back of his head with one hand while extending the other in a handshake.

“Uh…it’s okay. I guess I will too. Catch ya later!” Sapph said with a faint smile, figuring it would be easier on her if he left sooner than later.

Nurse Joy Jr. looked at Sapph’s hand for a moment. She then looked up at Sapph for a while as though studying him. Sapph started feeling uncomfortable as she saw that she was close to tears again. Sapph asked, “What? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Nurse Joy said quickly, looking down quickly. “It’s just hard to… to say…”

“Saaay?” Sapph asked curiously. She’s such a contrast from Haley, Sapph thought bemusedly. One girl would pulverise you in a second if you made her mad, the other just blushes and looks away every time you talk to her. Girls were definitely not a topic he felt he was very good at yet.

Deciding that actions speak louder than words, she dried her eyes quickly, walked past his outstretched arm and planted a quick kiss on his cheek. This move caught Sapph so off guard that his hand dropped limply to his side, went stock still in surprise and blush crimson in turn.

All she said when Sapph felt her pull away was “For luck.” She then turned and ran back into town.

Sapph only thanked the Legendary Pokémon that Mongle and Ledyba were still in their pokéballs as he felt the spot on his cheek, his other hand reaching into his anorak pocket and finding a note. Pulling it out and opening it, he read: ‘Even if I met your twin, I’d still like you loads more than him, no matter what. I really, really like you and I’ll really, really miss you, Sapph. Please don’t forget that because I’ll never, ever forget you. Joy. P.S. – Thank you again for saving my life in the forest.’

Corei sure is weird, Sapph thought as he watched the little nurse run off, folding the note and placing it safely in the private little rip between the lining of his knapsack and smiling faintly, but I guess I’m beginning to really like it…

***​

Sapph whistled cheerfully as he strolled along the path to Entover City. The morning’s events had been capped with Ledyba perfecting control over his Supersonic attacks and Mongle upping his base speed and attack statistics significantly.

“That badge is as good as ours, guys,” Sapph had said gleefully at the end of practice. “Now, if only I knew where the nearest gym is…”

<It’s in Entover City, Sapph,> Ledyba had told him.

<Yeah, and that’s on the other side of the forest,> Mongle chipped in.

“Okay, guys. Thanks. Return for now,” Sapph said, recalling his Pokémon and setting off down the forest’s dirt road, humming to the tune of Viridian City when suddenly he heard a dull, stupid laugh ahead. Thinking it was Dex, Sapph sped up, hoping to beat Kamren to Entover City and win the badge first when he heard another voice which he was willing to bet wasn’t Kamren’s.

“Why’re you wasting time?” A rough voice yelled up ahead. Sapph froze in his tracks, listening hard.

“Awww... it’s so cute with its little flying cap,” a second, dull voice said in a coochy coochy voice that Sapph had loathed since the age of three.

Now, knowing Sapph isn’t the smartest tool in the shed, you’d say even he wasn’t that stupid to try taking on two potentially dangerous people single-handed… but hey, you’d have been wrong before. Sapph’s curiosity got the better of him and he went off the path to see what was going on.

“We don’t have time to waste playing with the cargo,” the first voice said sharply. “Just stuff the Litaire in the sack with the others and let’s go.”

“Litaire? Sack?” Sapph said in shock, peeking through a large bush to see what was going on, shutting off his Pokédex as he did so before it gave his position away to potentially dangerous people.

Two men dressed in black stood before a sack which bulged in several place. Both wore identical scarves around their necks. A small, green and red feathered bird with an old-fashioned flying helmet was being manhandled by the larger of the two.

That must be a Litaire, Sapph thought. The poor Normal/Flying type chirped in discomfort as its wings were twisted in all directions. The smaller skinnier guy had his booted foot placed firmly on the mouth of the large sack to prevent its contents’ escape. Sapph, thinking fast, found a large rock and threw it at the back of the larger guy’s head.

Connecting with Sapph’s target, the bully let his prey go.

“Hey, what the-?” the smaller guy said in his sharp voice, his slanting eyes widening as he turned to see his comrade stumble. The Litaire took its chance and aimed a sharp Peck attack at the other man’s knee. He howled in pain, and automatically hoisted his foot up and away from the sack, releasing all the Pokémon the duo had poached, which included a Squirtle, several Spinocle, a Growlithe, Vulpix, two Poochyena, three Ekans, a Butterfree, several Litaire, Taillow, Rattata and Pidgey, an Ivysaur and – Sapph couldn’t believe his eyes – a Dratini.

Sapph would have given a lot to catch a lot of the Pokémon but thought better of it as the Pokémon scattered in all directions and the two poachers looked wildly around to see who’d cost them their bounty. Retreating for the time being, Sapph felt, or rather prayed that he hadn’t been seen…

…it was quite a shame that Sapph’s luck was so lousy…

“Where’d that rock come from?” the larger guy said angrily, clambering up the short cliff to where Sapph had chucked the rock from.

“Damn, Captain Doracus won’t like this,” the sharp voiced man said sourly, eyeing the empty sack.

“Captain Doracus won’t like what?” a young voice said in a voice of carefree cheer.

Both men froze and spun around to see a youth who looked barely a year or two older than Sapph appear out of thin air behind a tree in the small clearing into which the Pokémon had escaped. Dressed predominantly in a black and white trim tracksuit with matching sneakers, his neat black hair revealed dancing brown eyes and his face, though his unnaturally happy smile was obvious even from the little of his face that could be seen from within the shadows had an expression that told you he felt nothing but a detached pleasure. Upon seeing him, both men hurried forwards, bowing as they went.

“Captain Orion, sir,” the larger of the two said fearfully.

“What brings you here? Captain Doracos asked us t-“The other said greasily but the youth cut him off.

“Catch him another Dragon Pokémon?” Orion said cheerfully, looking totally unperturbed. “That was quite a beauty you let get away…too bad…Mr. Doracus won’t like this at all…”

The two men watched, sweating profusely all the while.

“So, two Team Shadow Admins got outwitted by a brat and a measly Litaire,” the youth named Orion went on. He was fingering a pokéball in between his fingers which he’d obtained from somewhere within his black cloak. “Dear, dear…what would Mr. Doracus say?”

“Y-you wouldn’t,” the men stammered, cold sweat cascading down the back of their necks, not daring to look into the youth’s face.

“Don’t worry, this failure will go unreported,” Orion said in a carelessly cheerful voice. “You’re still too useful to be disposed of and the matter is so trivial. Besides,” he went on, playfully twirling his pokéball on his finger. “I got what I wanted from the exercise and there are much stronger dragons in Corei for Mr. Doracus to obtain. And the disturbance is one measly boy. We really don’t need to worry. If he continues to meddle in our affairs,” Orion went on, turning to leave, “his time will come soon enough.”

Orion faded into the darkness as he said to the duo “You’re dismissed.”

Both men looked up quickly but Orion had vanished.

“That kid,” the shorter man said tremulously. “Scary…”

His partner could only nod…

Meanwhile from a branch some eighteen feet above their heads, the Litaire watched as Sapph hurried along the path to Entover. Making up its mind after a brief moment’s hesitation, it spread its wings and fluttered off after Sapph wanting to learn more about his rescuer…

***​

After another five hours of comparatively uneventful marching through forest terrain, the dark green rooftops and the wide, shrubbery-laced roads of Entover City came into view.

Good! Sapph thought enthusiastically, spotting a larger than usual rooftop which belonged to an equally large chalk white building as he approached the city outskirts. There’s a gym in town! Time to earn my first league badge!

Half an hour later after a quick stop at the Pokémon Centre to refresh his crew, Sapph was standing in the Entover City Pokémon Gym waiting room, registering for a match.

“The Leader is ready now,” the female secretary said. “Go on in.”

“Erm, thanks.” Sapph said, his throat a little dry from nerves. “Can I get any tips?”

“Sorry, you’ll just have to do your best with no beforehand knowledge. No real gym does tell you that sort of stuff anyway. Good luck, you’re gonna need it!” The secretary said, giving Sapph a look that said plainly, ‘What are you? A complete retard?!’

Sapph gulped and sweat dropped. “Okay” he said hastily, moving over to the double doors that lead to the battle room.

Gee, thanks, he thought sarcastically, pushing open the oak doors and going in.

The doors closed behind him as he stepped over the threshold. Cree-py! Sapph muttered mentally, spinning around to take in the arena’s appearance.

The gym was dark and musty, strung from every nook and cranny were spidery strands of webbing. There was a shallow square depression in the middle of the pitch riddled with strong looking two by fours which rose from the ground and above the rim of the basin.

Don’t they ever clean up in this gym? Sapph thought, remembering the one back home which his parents run, and how hard he’d had it when he forgot to do it twice a day.

Just then, several spotlights burst to life, illuminating the gym floor. The rafters were pretty low, Sapph noted as he became accustomed to the light, not to mention covered with even more sticky web.

“So you’re my next prey, hunh?” a playfully cold female voice called out from the glare. Sapph squinted to see a tall, stringy woman in a back dress that looked like it was made from spider web standing on the other side of the battle field. She had black, bobbed hair and extremely dark brown eyes that looked black to Sapph and glittered strangely.

Very creepy, Sapph thought, taking in her appearance.

“You look weaker than my last opponent,” she continued as Sapph stepped up to the edge of the field, shielding his eyes. “He creamed my whole team with only one Pokémon. Hardly surprising, he had a heavy type advantage…”

“Yeah? Well wake up, lady, cuz I ain’t leaving this gym until I earn a badge here too!” Sapph called, readying his first Pokéball.

“Fine, but when your Pokémon wake up in ICU, don’t blame me!” She called back, pulling out a Pokéball too and enlarging it.

A male referee in a black-and-white striped shirt holding two flags stepped up to the sidelines to declare the rules of the match.

“An official gym match between Sapph Manson and the Entover City Gym Leader Cassandra will now begin. If Sapph wins, he will earn a Web Badge. Each trainer may use three Pokémon each…”

Wah! Three?! I only have two!! Sapph thought in a panicky way. A feathery spectator’s eyes narrowed at this point…

“A Pokémon is out of contest if one of them faints or if the Gym Leader recalls it in the case of hers. Let the match begin!” He called, raising both flags above his head.

But I can’t back down now! He thought to himself determinedly. “Let’s go, Ledyba!” Sapph called, throwing Ledyba’s Pokéball onto the field.

“I choose Nimbee!” Cassandra called, throwing hers.

Ledyba burst from his orb as a larger insect on four legs appeared on the field. A cross between a winged ant and a bee, Nimbee stood around five foot three, with red and gold banded wings, legs and body. Its purple and black eyes glittered just like its trainer.

“You use BUG TYPE POKÉMON!!” Sapph screamed, pointing at the Nimbee.

“What? You do too, remember?” Cassandra said scornfully.

Nimbee, the Worker Bee Pokémon. Nimbee possesses great mass which it uses in powerful, full-body attacks. Despite its size, Nimbee are quite adept at flight, Sapph’s Pokédex recited as Sapph scanned his and Ledyba’s opposition.

This could be troublesome, Sapph thought frantically, but I didn’t come here to lose either.

“If that’s the best you got, then this’ll be easier than I thought” Cassandra mused.

“You take that back! Ledyba, Tackle attack, now!” Sapph yelled, pumping his fist.

“Nimbee, String Shot!” Cassandra countered.

Nimbee rose into the air and fired a thick string of webbing at Ledyba.

<Not again!> Ledyba moaned.

Ledyba saw the sticky line of webbing and dived just in time to avoid getting trapped in the gooey mess.

“Again!” Cassandra ordered.

“Dodge it again!” Sapph commanded.

<Roger!> Ledyba called back.

“Who’s Roger?” Sapph asked suddenly, earning himself a few weirded out stares from the others.

“Never mind,” Sapph said quickly.

“Keep up the String Shot, Nimbee!” Cassandra yelled.

Ledyba kept weaving in and out of the attacks, which kept missing their mark. Soon the ring was filled with thick, gooey strings, a fact Sapph and Cassandra were both quick to notice.

“Nowhere to run now, Manson,” Cassandra said with a satisfied smile. “Nimbee! Use Poison Sting!” Cassandra ordered.

“Watch out, Ledyba! Try deflecting ‘em with Supersonic!” Sapph ordered briskly.

A series of purplish, poisoned needles shot across the gym from Nimbee’s sharpened abdomen at the shy insect, who retorted by unleashing its high pitched shriek right back. The string magnified the volume of the piercing noise, which blew the needles away, majority of them being sent straight back at Nimbee, who also shrieked in a higher pitch as the needles peppered its body.

“Gah! Pull away, Nimbee!” Cassandra yelled. Nimbee, still feeling the projectiles strike its body, lashed out at a rafter with a line of strong webbing and pulled itself safely out of the sound and poison attack path.

Good thing this Nimbee seems to have the same attacks as Spinarak and Ariados, Sapph said, reflecting on the techniques he’d tangled with in the EverWood Forest and exhaling softly. But if Cassandra thinks she’s escaped with that trick, Sapph thought grimly, she’s got another thing coming!

“Good, Ledyba! Now Tackle him up!” Sapph hollered.

At this command, the Five Star Pokémon rocketed up slamming into Nimbee’s under body. Nimbee flew into the rafters from the force of Ledyba’s charge, smashing through one and sticking onto another, seriously weakened.

“Good job, Ledyba! Nice!” Sapph cheered.

“Don’t take that from a wimp like that! Use Signal Beam!” Cassandra hollered.

Signal Beam? Sapph wondered. What’s that? The Johto-born trainer hadn’t heard of or seen any attacks from Hoenn.

Ledyba watched enthralled as Nimbee’s eyes glowed different colours: one red, one green. Two beady beams of light shot from each eye and twisted itself into a glowing helix.

<Ooooh, pretty lights…> Ledyba mumbled, still transfixed by the strange sight.

Whatever Signal Beam is, it can’t be good, Sapph thought frantically. “Ledyba, RUN!” Sapph yelled, his panic reflecting in his voice.

“Too late!” Cassandra yelled triumphantly.

Ledyba vaguely heard Sapph yell, but before his body could catch up with his senses, the twin beams hit him sending the Five Star Pokémon soaring across the field.

“Ledyba?” Sapph called out to his friend in a worried voice. “Ledyba!” Sapph cried out in relief as he saw his Pokémon rise shakily a few feet into the air. “Okay buddy, let’s go! Use Tackle!”

At this, Ledyba started laughing like a witch in flight, zooming around the room. Sapph's jaw fell open as Cassandra fell over animé-style.

“I guess your Ledyba in its confusion thought you said ‘Cackle’ instead of Tackle,” Cassandra mused as she pulled herself together, obviously torn between exasperation at how stupid Ledyba looked and how funny Sapph did with his mouth open in a dumb expression, watching his Pokémon soar around the room. “That’s a response we haven’t had before …”

Confusion? Sapph thought, looking at Ledyba. Upon closer inspection, he saw that his friend’s eyes had gone out of focus as he ran splat into a wall and hovered away dizzily a few feet away, only to fly right back into the same rafter, still giggling with a loud <Ow!> at each bump.

“Ledyba! Knock it- ooh now that will hurt in the morning- off already!” Sapph ordered firmly.

“Well, might as well end this… Nimbee, Body Slam!” Cassandra said coolly after watching Ledyba slam into the rafter another six times, each time with a feebler giggle.

Nimbee sprang off the rafter in a free fall motion with the aim of squishing Ledyba flat.

“Ledyba, above you!” Sapph cried out.

<I see , I see, WHEEEEEEEEEE!> Ledyba giggled feebly, moving aside at the last second and barely escaping Nimbee’s falling bulk by darting to his right. Nimbee crashed full force into the floor, creating a huge cloud of dust which cleared to show Nimbee lying flat on his belly with swirls in its eyes.

The ref stepped up to Nimbee to check its condition, and then raised his red flag towards Sapph’s end of the field and called out: “Nimbee is unable to battle, this round goes to Ledyba!”

“All right! Way to go, Ledyba!” Sapph yelled to Ledyba, who’d stopped flying around. Apparently, the force of the shockwave from Nimbee’s failed Body Slam had awoken him to his senses.

<What happened, Sapph?> Ledyba asked his trainer with a confused expression on his face.

“Nothing you’d want Mongle to see,” Sapph replied with a smirk, making Ledyba blush.

I got too cocky there, Cassandra thought ruefully as she returned Nimbee to its pokéball, I know now that I shouldn’ta, but I can still win this one…

Aloud she said:”Not bad. You use Bug Pokémon pretty well. I’m even impressed at your luck. But playtime is over, I’ll now show you how a true Bug Pokémon Master battles!”

Sapph gulped, but tensed as Cassandra enlarged her second pokéball.

“Be ready for anything.” He warned Ledyba, who nodded his assent, turning to face the opposition.

“Here we go, Shuckle!” Cassandra yelled, her long black skirt flaring out as she tossed her second pokéball onto the field.

What looked like a small, smooth red clay sculpture formed on the ground. Suddenly, four long, stringy appendages shot out of four of the white ringed holes and a similar one came out of the largest pore on top, each with a loud ‘shloop’. This one seemed to widen out at the top into a face which had two beady eyes and a small mouth.

“Hah! I know about that Pokémon!” Sapph said gleefully. “Shuckle, the Mold Pokémon! It’s more or less strictly defensive! Ledyba, use Tackle!”

“Who said that means that’s all it can do?” Cassandra said testily. “Shuckle, Withdraw!”

’Who said that means that’s all it can do?’ Lady, Withdraw is a defensive technique,” Sapph mumbled through fishy lips earning a sweat drop from the Gym Leader.

The Mold Pokémon quickly withdrew its stringy appendages and head back into its body as Ledyba rammed into it. The Shuckle flew into the sunken area of the gym and right into one of the beams.

Perfect, Sapph thought, glancing at the gym leader and surprised to see her looking so calm. Then in the next second, his eyes became wide in shock as he saw what Cassandra was smirking about.

Shuckle slammed into the post and bounced off into another one. Ledyba gazed in astonishment as he watched his opponent, in a manner similar to a pinball, tear around the pitch, gaining speed with each collision.

“Hey, what gives?” Sapph cried out, watching the Bug/Rock Pokémon race along the ground at breakneck speed.

“A good trainer fights with the knowledge of the surroundings,” Cassandra told him confidently. “Any and every part of the battlefield can be used to gain victory. Shuckle, now use Mimic!”

With heightened acceleration, Shuckle latched one limb around the next wooden post and used it to swing itself around and right at Ledyba’s back, who couldn’t fly away in time. The Five Star Pokémon slammed into the basin, the wind knocked out of him.

“LEDYBA!” Sapph yelled.

“Keep it up, Shuckle!” Cassandra urged her Pokémon, who’d hit a beam and ricocheted straight for Ledyba.

“Look out!” Sapph called out to Ledyba, who barely managed to cartwheel away from the spinning sphere of chaos.

“Not so fast…Shuckle, grab him and use Wrap!” Cassandra ordered deftly.

One of Shuckle’s legs stretched out abnormally and caught Ledyba by the arm. Before he’d noticed anything, the other three joined in on wrapping around his body, denying him escape as they squeezed tighter.

“Grrr…Ledyba, use Tackle again!” Sapph growled.

“Do you really expect it to be that easy, Sapph?” Cassandra taunted.

Ledyba lunged towards Shuckle again, but the Mold Pokémon was ready. As Ledyba closed in, it withdrew its legs quickly, which resulted in Sapph’s Ledyba being yanked towards it. It then spun around, spinning Ledyba with it and into another post, where it let go and let the Bug/Flying Pokémon tumble down into the dirt.

“Ledyba, you OK?” Sapph cried out worriedly.

<I-I think so,> Ledyba said shakily, trying and failing to fire up his wings.

“Your Ledyba’s really something promising, Sapph” Cassandra said impressively. “But its time in this match is over! Shuckle, use Tackle again!”

Shuckle proceeded to bounce around the field again as Ledyba tried again and again to start up his wings without success.

C’mon Sapph, think! Sapph thought desperately as he watched the Shuckle build up momentum. If I attack, she’ll just have it withdraw and if I stand still she’ll use her Mimicked Tackle attack on me! And even if I manage to evade it, she’ll wrap us up again… gotta figure out how to use that strategy against her…if only we could…that’s it!

<Sapph, help!> Ledyba yelled as Shuckle came at him again.

“Ledyba, jump as high as you can now!” Sapph yelled.

<JUMP?! Sapph, I’m a ladybug-like Pokémon, not a grasshopper type!> Ledyba said in a panicky screech as Shuckle closed in, fragments of wood flying off the posts where Shuckle hit them.

“NOW!”

<OK!> Ledyba said, giving his legs all they had and barely escaping the speeding shell.

“How many times must I show you that it’s pointless?” Cassandra whooped. “Shuckle, let’s Wrap this up!”

Shuckle spun around and snagged Ledyba with all four of its legs, binding him tightly.

She's falling for it! Sapph thought with glee. "Aloud, he ordered, "Ledyba! Use Tackle!"

He just doesn't learn, does he? Cassandra thought to herself in disbelief, shaking her head.

“Reel him in for the finale! Withdraw!” Cassandra hollered triumphantly as Shuckle withdrew only its head and pulled his opponent in.

“Steady now…steeeaadee…,” Sapph muttered, watching as the gap between them shrank rapidly. Four feet…three…two feet…

“Now, Ledyba! Use your Supersonic attack at full power down the head pore and Tackle it!” Sapph yelled when it looked like Ledyba would hit any second.

A mere two inches from the shell, Ledyba unleashed its Supersonic attack with full force into Shuckle’s shell, making the latter release its hold on his prey. Without stopping, Ledyba slammed the Shuckle clean out of the shallow pit and smack onto the floor at Cassandra’s feet, with its head out, swirls in its eyes and foam at the mouth. Its shell was still vibrating and looked seriously cracked.

“Shuckle is unable to battle,” the ref announced, raising the red flag again as Ledyba clambered out of the pit and successfully fired up his wings at last. “Ledyba wins!”

“Awesome!” Sapph yelled triumphantly, hugging his Ledyba, who’d fluttered back to his trainer for some praise.

Cassandra returned Shuckle silently, lost in thought.

I see, so he had his Ledyba use sound to stun Shuckle long enough for him to successfully use a powerful Tackle attack at critical power. Analysing my attack pattern like that, he really is to be commended…

Aloud, though, she looked across at her opponent, who was now rubbing his Ledyba’s head affectionately and said, “You’re pretty good, Manson. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a battle that intense in a long while. Or used this,” she added, raising her third pokéball.

Sapph and Ledyba let go of each other and focussed on their last opponent.

So, she’s deciding to use that here? The ref thought, eyeing the pokéball as well. She didn’t use it against that other kid… maybe that was why he won so easily…

“Meet the strongest of my crew…go, Ledian!”

A shape emerged from her pokéball, twisting itself into a shorter, yet more slender Pokémon. Standing about a foot taller than Ledyba, it shared Ledyba’s colour scheme, except for its now elongated head with prominent, blue eyes and its hind legs developed into two red feet.

Both Sapph and Ledyba gaped at their new opposition. Sapph decided to get some info on Ledian from his Pokédex:

Ledian, the Five Star Pokémon. The number of spots on its back increases as the number of stars in the night sky increase. Ledian is the evolved form of Ledyba.

“Whoa,” Sapph gasped.

“Ledian, use Flash!” Cassandra ordered.

Ledian’s body glowed and then exploded in a burst of light, which blinded Sapph and Ledyba.

<Oww! My eyes!> Ledyba yelled, trying and failing to shield its eyes with its stumpy arms.

“Ledyba, try a Supersonic attack” Sapph called desperately.

“Too late again, Sapph! Ledian, use Comet Punch!” Cassandra crowed.

Ledyba inhaled deeply, but before he could launch his attack, Ledian pummelled Ledyba with a volley of lightning quick punches, the first three striking Ledyba in the belly and the last two finding their mark on his face. Ledyba flew back into the ground in a dead faint, due to exhaustion.

Raising his green flag, the ref announced: “Ledyba is unable to battle, this round goes to Ledian!”

“Ledyba, return!” Sapph cried out, returning his defeated Pokémon to its ball.

The fainted Ledyba returned to its ball in a beam of red light. “Thanks, Ledyba, you did great, take a rest now.” Sapph murmured to the pokéball.

Looks like it’s all up to you now, buddy, Sapph thought, enlarging his second pokéball.

I wonder what Pokémon he’s gonna use now, Cassandra mused to herself, a faint crease forming on her brow. A Flying type would put me at a serious disadvantage. Let’s hope he doesn’t have one…Especially since I’ve already lost two Pokémon and he’s just lost one…

“Go, Mongle!” Sapph yelled, throwing the ball on to the pitch.

“Have you lost your marbles? Mongle?! This match is in the bag!” Cassandra crowed in triumph as the Grass Pokémon took an attack stance on the field.

Sapph clenched his fists and teeth as he said, “It ain’t over ‘til the fat Persian says! Mongle, Pound!”

“Double Team!” Cassandra countered lazily.

First two, then four. In a space of mere seconds, Mongle was surrounded by Ledians. Mongle skidded to a halt and stared around at all the bugs.

<Uh, Sapph? Which is the real one?> Mongle asked tentatively.

“Bugged, hunh? Don’t worry, I’ll end it now! Ledian, Comet Punch again!” Cassandra taunted.

“Mongle!” Sapph yelled frantically as all the Ledian lunged at the Leaf Squirrel Pokémon with their fists cocked back. Mongle leapt up at the last available second, leaving the Ledian to hit each other, which caused majority of the clones to fade away.

“Now I got you! Ledians, get him while he’s stuck in the web!” Cassandra ordered.

Web?, Sapph thought bemusedly looking up into the rafters. Then his eyes widened in shock when he saw what the gym leader had meant.

Oh, sh-

Mongle caught hold of a rafter and meant to jump to the next one as the Ledian bore down on him. But the sticky secretions left on the posts held him fast.

<What the-?> He gasped.

Shoot! What do I do? Sapph wondered as he watched Mongle get stuck in the web-laden rafters.

“Too late once again, kid! Comet Punch attack! Now!” Cassandra hollered, getting more and more pumped.

Just as Mongle managed to free itself, four Ledian fists collided forcefully with his chest, sending him through another two rafters and into the roof. Sapph watched helplessly as strands of webbing fell onto Cassandra’s Ledians.

Wait, that’s it!

“Mongle, use Razor Leaf!” Sapph called.

“That’ll never work, Sapph! Ledian, Double Team again! And use Tackle to end it!”

<I hope you know what you’re up to, Sapph, > Mongle thought as he swiped his glowing tail through the air, releasing a barrage of sharp leaves which sliced through the rafters en route to the oncoming Ledian, creating a cascade of logs, which took out all the bugs and buried the real one under a pile of heavy wood and tangled webbing.

“Oh no!” Ledian isn’t used to the webbing either, Cassandra moaned. “Ledian, get out of there, fast!”

“Wait for it… now! Pound attack!” Sapph cried.

Mongle fired himself down just as Ledian freed his upper body. Mongle smashed Ledian’s head back into the mound of web and wood with tremendous force. Mongle landed on all fours and turned to look at Ledian, who had swirls in his eyes.

The ref had seen enough. “Ledian is unable to continue. This round goes to Mongle. The winner of this match is Sapph Manson from Cherrygrove Town”.

“Yes! We did it! We won!” Sapph yelled in triumph as Mongle cheered.

He’s good, Cassandra thought, watching the Johto trainer's antics with a smile, he’s really good. Who’d have guessed he’d think to use the webbing and wood to slow Ledian down long enough to deliver a critical hit?

She then returned her Ledian to its pokéball and said,” Well done, Sapph. I guess you taught me a lesson about what it really takes to win a battle: it’s not type advantage, but skill and guts. Beating three of my Pokémon whilst holding back like that was genius.”

All Sapph could say to this was “Erm, thanks.”

Who was holding back? He thought exasperatedly.

“Oh, and one more thing, Sapph,” Cassandra continued, walking towards him,” Verity?”

The reception lady came in holding a badge case.

Sapph noticed the case and said, “Uh, Cassandra, I’ve got one of those already…” Though most of Sapph’s belongings were second-hand, he’d bought a badge case from the Cherrygrove Odds and Ends Store before leaving.

“Then just take what’s in it.” Cassandra smiled as she took the case, opened it and removed something silvery from within, which she then presented to Sapph.

“As Gym Leader of the Entover City Gym, I, Cassandra, hereby bequeath this Web Badge onto Sapph Manson for a victory in battle in my Gym. Wear it well.”

Sapph picked up the badge from Cassandra’s palm and stared at it. It looked like a silvery spider web embossed on a white background.

“Thanks, Cassandra! Take a look Mongle, our first badge!” Sapph said cheerfully.

<Yay! Now for the Star-spangled Banner!> Mongle chirped, half-asleep.

Sapph, Cassandra and Verity all sweat-dropped.

"Uh... erm- well, see ya!" Sapph said hastily, running for the exit.

Cassandra and Verity stared at each other in disbelief and mouthed 'Star-spangled Banner?'

***​

Later in the Pokémon Centre as Ledyba and Mongle were being treated, Sapph related the good news to the EverWood Town Pokémon Centre nurses, and Richie (an experienced that he relished).

Well done Sapph! I knew you could do it!” Nurse Joy Jr. said happily over the videophone.

“Thanks…erm, Joy,” Sapph said uncertainly. She smiled shyly, blushing slightly.

“Well, gotta go,” Sapph said shortly. “Got to make another call to Olville Town. Greet your sister for me!”

Okay, bye! I’m cheering for you! ” She said, hanging up. Smiling, Sapph phoned the Kent Villa.

Well done, Sapph! You’ve taken your first step to the championships! Have you told your parents? ” Mrs. Kent congratulated.

Sapph hesitated for a second then said “Not yet.”

Mrs. Kent seemed to understand.

Alright, Sapph. But promise me you will, OK? ” she said, fixing Sapph with a look he deemed reminiscent of the one his mother used demanding who took the last cookie from the jar without permission when he and Rubin were six.

Sapph’s face darkened a little, but brightened at once. “Um, sure, Mrs. Kent! I’ll tell ‘em!”

Mrs. Kent smiled, “Thank you dear. Now you must get some sleep. I’m about to do the same now. Goodnight!

“Goodnight.” Sapph replied, cutting the videophone connection.

I’ll tell ‘em all right, Sapph thought to himself, his new Web Badge held aloft and reflected double in his eyes, but only when I win all eight of these badges!

***​

*In the quarters of Air Dragon*

So! Comments, please! They’re really appreciated! Later!

;165;: yeah! we like you're comments!

Mongle:hey! what's with Ledyba getting a sprite and me not?!

Me: uh, I said Later...

Mongle: I mean where r ma fans? is there no love for me out there?

;165;: No, I don't think there is...

Mongle: AAAAAARGH (Runs out of the room)

Me: Now you've hurt his feelings...

;165;: What feelings? You didn't give him any did you?

Me: He may not show 'em sometimes, but yep, they're there...

;165;: Oops! Hey Mongle, I'm sorreee! Hey, wait up! (chases after Mongle)

Me:now they've left me alone for a bit, Later!

Last edited:

icemew

Banned
Wow, awesome battle. It was really inventive and I liked how you thought up strategies and counterstrategies for both trainers. And it's great to see something go right for Sapph for once.

I wonder what'll wind up happening with Joy. Is she doomed to be forgotten when the story moves on, or will she show up again?

Diddy

Renegade
Twas a great chapter, a gym battle, Sapph learning of Joys liking of him and a pokemon stalking Sapph, who is incompetent because if he would of appeared earlier the whole gym battle could of been easier. Grr*shakes fist*

And waking up with your head being stroked would be wierd in any situation, even if it was a nurse. But still with all that she should reappear or even randomly appear through the fic and stalk Sapph and give him random gifts to try and win his affection.

Yes that will do. Anyway, poor Mongle, I'm a fan don't worry, i'll be cheering for ya. Go Mongle !!!Wooo!!!

Reply again I shall, hope to see you soon I do.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
Endless teasing. Graagh.

The battle is genius. Totally. I was expecting Mongle to go down and bird-boy to come to the rescue as his last pokemon.

Anyway, you should remember to close those format tags. They're wide open and do absolutely nothing.

A few missing aprostrophys and letters, but no major errors.

Mmmmm. I'm still waiting.

Pika out.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Felix: YERSE! i'm evil to the core...y'know, that would have been a cool end to it, but "bird-boy" wanted to observe the battle, size Sapph up. oh yeah, a little more info on Sapph's stalker will come out in the next chapter, so watch out!
i'll edit the corrections soon! main e-of-sems are rolling up so i'll try to mass produce and surpass the chapter limit part one reached...so keep at your inbox!

Diddy: hahaaa! gotta show Sapph good for something, although he's going to have to gain ground... oh yeah, thanks from Mongle for the fanhood! now i've got a hyperactive green blur speeding around the pc, screaming for joy! wrecked my keyboard, the little furball...

MVB: thank you! far too kind! as for your question, only chapter 13 or 14 will tell...

icemew: glad you liked the chapter! joy's future in the fic will be ...ooops!

Me: step. away. from the keyboard...

sorry, icemew. he almost spoilt a major twist in the plot! oh well, keep it real y'all! once i'm done with chapter 9's editing, i'll post chapter 8! Later!

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Chapter Eight Rewritten!

Chapter Eight: Across the Bay​

As Sapph ate breakfast the next day, Ledyba and Mongle were catching up with each other’s news from the gym battle they had the previous day.

<…so it was all WHAM! POW! SMASH! That Ledian was out like a light!> Mongle crowed with a mouth full of Pokémon food.

Ledyba didn’t say anything. Sapph figured out what was on his friend’s mind and said, “Lighten up, Ledyba! I’ll do my best to make you stronger than that Ledian was, I promise!”

<Thanks, Sapph...> Ledyba chirped, still sounding a bit put out.

“Besides,” Sapph went on in a low, offhand voice so Ledyba couldn’t hear. “You beat two of Cassandra’s Pokémon single-handedly…you couldn’t have faced Ledian anyway…”

<Sorry, Sapph?> Ledyba asked apologetically. <Did you say something?>

“Wha….no, nothing, Ledyba, nothing!” Sapph hastily reassured the Five Star Pokémon, quickly slurping down more of his porridge.

<Anyways, you should’ve seen me Ledyba! I didn’t get a single scratch…> Mongle went on.

“Yeah, you only got about ten bruises.” Sapph supplied slyly.

<HEY!> Mongle yelled as Ledyba giggled. <That wasn’t fair!>

“Sorry, you just had it coming. I couldn’t resist.” Sapph chuckled.

“I take it you beat Cassandra,” Nurse Joy said coming round to check on Ledyba, who’d begun choking on a piece of Pokémon food from giggling too hard, which went soaring into the local Chansey’s face, who’d also come along to check on Ledyba’s condition, when Mongle thumped him on the back.

<URGH! GROSS!> She screamed, the nerve on her temple beginning to pulsate furiously as she rounded on the two team mates who both broke into feverish cold sweats.

<His fault.> Mongle said quickly, pointing at Ledyba. Ledyba spun around and stared indignantly at his ‘partner’.

<Well, it was,> Mongle said reasonably. <WHOA!> he yelped as he ducked under Chansey’s Karate Chop.

<So you’re the Mongle the Chansey in EverWood told us about,> the Chansey growled. She sounded like a Soviet military training camp personnel who ate steel barbed wire for breakfast. <The rude one…>

<Groovy, a fan!> Mongle said, his face lightening up.

<And you are his accomplice?> The Chansey went on, her eyes flicking to Ledyba, who blushed.

<W-where’d you learn that?!> Ledyba squealed, his eyes larger than cartwheels as he surveyed the crack in the tile the Chansey had made.

<So, it's true,> Chansey said, an evil smile lit her face.

<Who cares? Run for it!> Mongle said, high-tailing it from the room.

“Yep!” Sapph said, ignoring the Pokémon Nurse chase his Pokémon out of the room, Mongle’s yells of <IT WASN’T ME!> echoing down the hallways. His happy bubble deflated slightly as he continued, “But according to the map, the next gym is in Nightspark City across on the other side of the cove, and I haven’t a Water or Flying Pokémon strong enough to carry me there,” Sapph ended on a slightly worried note.

“Even if you did, there’s no way you’d be allowed…you need certain badges before you’re allowed to use HM moves like Fly and Surf…” Nurse Joy informed Sapph firmly with her arms crossed though not in an angry manner.

“Then how will I get to Nightspark? I just gotta get there!” Sapph cried, definitely panicky now.

“Relax, Sapph. There’s a ferry service that runs between Entover and Nightspark Harbour. They’re leaving today, so if you go to the ferry port now, you can easily get a ride.” Nurse Joy said cheerfully.

“Wow! Really?” Sapph said, lightening up at once.

“Yes. Just tell the crew I asked you to send these supplies to the Nightspark City Power Plant. We’ve been having problems with our power supply, and as we need a trainer to get these parts from Azura Port to them, I just wondered…”

“No problemo! I’ll take them for you!” Sapph exclaimed, jumping to his feet and grabbing his backpack and putting the parts in it.

“You will? Oh, thank you, Sapph! You really are a hero!” Nurse Joy said happily.

Sapph flushed embarrassedly. "That's a bit much, isn't it?" he said, rubbing the nape of his neck modestly.

“I asked some other trainers to do that for me yesterday, but my request was severely snubbed by an extremely snobbish boy with reddish-blond hair and silver eyes who seemed to think he was in charge…” Nurse Joy went on.

Sapph’s face darkened as he realised who Nurse Joy was talking about…

Nurse Joy’s voice faltered as she saw the change come over Sapph. “Anything wrong?” she asked worriedly.

Noticing what she was talking about, Sapph quickly rearranged his face into a wide grin and said, “Nothing’s wrong. Okay, I’ll leave now.” Sapph said, finishing off the rest of his breakfast and opening the sliding door as he rose to his feet and looking around for Mongle and Ledyba so he could return them to their pokéballs with a slight frown.

Now where are those two? Sapph wondered as he scanned the room for his companions.

“MONGLE! LEDYBA! Time to go alrea…” He called, stopped dead at the sight of Chansey chasing them down the corridor towards him.

<SAPPH, HELP! Mongle made Chansey mad again!> Ledyba screamed, flying as fast as he could out of the open door.

<RUNAWAY MAD NURSE!> Mongle added, racing after the Five Star Pokémon, a seriously hacked off Chansey hot on his heels.

NOT that again?! Sapph moaned inside as he and Nurse Joy watched them go with tiny eyes and large sweat drops on the back of their heads.

“Umm… Thank you again, Sapph. I’ll give you directions to the pier…” Nurse Joy said, and within three minutes Sapph was racing off to catch the ferry and stop another Chansey from attempting to kill his best friends with Nurse Joy calling behind him, “…and be careful! I heard some thieves have already tried to lift the package on its way here!”

***​

A dark cloaked man sat in what looked like a ruby-gilt, oaken throne as he surveyed the holographic map of Corei that spread out before him. The green lines that formed the map glinted brightly, illuminating the man’s alert and watchful red eyes and pale cheeks, one of which rested against the back of his gloved hand.

“What’s the word with our base in Dragon Cove, Doracus?” he said softly yet deliberately, crossing his platinum-buckled boots as he leaned back with a sigh.

A large, heavily-muscled man in a similar hooded cloaked stepped out from the shadows into the pool of light cast by the overhead, candle-lit chandelier. “Not so well, My Lord,” he said in a deep yet refined grunt. “We still require a generator powerful enough to power the electric cages. The untamed beauties keep smashing the iron ones…” he added, a cruel grin splitting his scrubby face and revealing a glint of gold.

“Very well,” the man said heavily and the man named Doracus returned to the shadows. His eyes roving away from the spot where Doracus had returned to stare to a point nearly directly in front of him but slightly to his right. “Captain Orion?”

“Yes, my Lord Theologos?” the cheerful voice of Orion piped up as he stepped into the circle of illumination.

“My intelligence tells me that a vital generator part for the Nightspark City Power Plant is en route to Nightspark and is currently at Entover City Pokémon Centre,” the man named Lord Theologos went on.

“Am I to lift the package for you?” Orion supplied in his sunny tone of voice.

“No, not personally,” Lord Theologos answered, a twisted smile forming on his face at the thought. “Just send a couple of grunts in. A Team Shadow Executive needn’t bother with such a petty D-rank mission…and besides, I need you here to manage the other projects.”

“I’m honoured, my Lord,” Orion said again, bowing his light brown-haired head.

“You have your orders, Captain,” Lord Theologos said calmly.

“Yes, sir, my Lord,” Orion said, bowing.

“Let them be informed that extreme measures have been approved,” Lord Theologos informed the youth calmly, his dark hair falling slowly across his face as he leaned back some more.

“It will be done, my Lord,” Orion said, bowing again and turning to leave.

A silence filled the room for a minute or two before Lord Theologos looked to his left. He smiled softly, his eyes closed lightly and asked “You wish to speak, Captain Doracus?”

“My Lord, I heard two Admins botched a C-rank mission in EverWood mission the other day,” Doracus interrupted suddenly, a frown on his face as he stared at the spot where Orion had left the room. “And that Captain Orion covered for the said Admins…”

“Yes, I know, Doracus,” Lord Theologos said lazily. “I also know that the boy that thwarted them is the same one who has taken the parts into his custody,” he added softly, his eyes roving over the map.

“A-and you believe two grunts can stop him?” Captain Doracus spluttered. “I mean, the admins he overcame…”

“Were in your division, were they not, Doracus?” The man on the throne said idly, his eyes flashing in a quelling way. Captain Doracus’s golden yellow eyes met Theologos’s ruby red ones and fell silent at once. Then Theologos spoke again.

“Orion’s men are much better at these sorts of missions than yours, Doracus. I’d also appreciate you not question the way I choose to have things done. I usually do so in such fashion for a reason. Am I understood, Doracus?” he went on, his voice showing a trace of anger and finality in it.

“Yes, my Lord,” Captain Doracus said falteringly.

“You’re dismissed, Doracus,” Lord Theologos said softly, consulting the map once more. “Meeting adjourned,” he added to the four other shadows that lined the walls and left silently after Captain Doracus’s retreating back.

***​

The Litaire from EverWood Forest had followed Sapph through the twisting streets of Entover City to the harbour where it had settled on the mast of a large ferry with a shape that resembled a catamaran. Suddenly a group of four Pelipper appeared with fish in their bills appeared on the same mast, two on each side. One particularly large one said roughly, <This ‘ere’s our rig, li’l missie,> in a salty sea dog’s voice.

The Litaire closed her eyes and chose to ignore the rude Pokémon’s remark.

<Didn’cha hear ‘im, missie? He said clear orf!> Another one half-yelled.

<No, he said ‘This ‘ere’s our rig, li’l missie’, and rather rudely at that,> the Litaire said calmly, her eyes half-opened as she stared straight ahead of her.

<Lissen, lady, we don’t wanna rumble with a girlie, so jus’ leave, will ya?> the third Pelipper said in a calm yet reedy voice.

<I’m sure you don’t,> the Litaire said without looking at him.

<Listen, lady,> the fourth one said shortly. <Shove orf, or be shoved orf. Got it?>

<Sure. Looks like you boys will have to be shoved off then,> the Litaire said calmly, still not looking at her assailants.

<Alrighty, let’s give ‘er ‘e ol’ heave ho!> The first Pelipper said and swung a beefy wing at the Litaire only to get his beak knocked crooked by the Litaire’s lighting-fast counter. At this the other three Pelipper attacked the Litaire as one.

A quick scuffle erupted on the mast as a cartoon cloud of wings forming fists and clawed talons whirled around. Soon, the four Pelipper flew off haphazardly, sporting black eyes and dislocated beaks, muttering about women and how unreasonable they could get. Whereas the unscathed Litaire settled down on her perch, muttered <Amatuerish civilians> and closed her eyes to get a better look at her quarry who was explaining something to a sailor clad in a white vest and white slacks.

“Alright, sir. I understand. We need that power here too.” The burly sailor told Sapph after he explained the situation for his needing to cross over to Nightspark City. “Besides,” he added, his cheeks growing slightly pink as he lowered his voice. “Who wouldn’t do that cutie of a nurse a favour?”

“That wasn’t quite why I volunteered, but thanks a lot!” Sapph said, blushing faintly as he climbed on board, Mongle and Ledyba, muttering about each other behind his back, in tow.

***​

A shady couple skulked in the shadows on the port side of the deck as Sapph stood on the other side of the ferry and waved goodbye to the people who usually saw off the ferry. The woman held a walkie-talkie whilst the man scanned the area for eavesdroppers.

The boy is wearing a red and white anorak,” a sunny voice crackled over the walkie-talkie, “Do try not to fail.

“Yes, captain,” the female voice said and the walkie-talkie died in her hand.

The twosome looked at each other as Sapph leaned against the starboard side railing to watch Entover Town disappear behind him.

“So shall we look for our target?” she said in a coldly playful voice.

“Let’s” the man rasped, a mean smile curving his thin lips.

The two headed below to begin their search.

***​

Ten minutes after watching nothing but sea water, Sapph got bored and decided to go explore the ship and find his cabin. The journey’s scenery had not done anything to soothe Mongle and Ledyba’s tempers anyway, Sapph thought dryly, watching his Pokémon mutter as they trailed after him.

“Er, Excusez-moi, Monsieur,” a sniffy waiter hailed Sapph, staring at Mongle and Ledyba.

“Yes?” Sapph asked, turning around, ignoring the huffy noises issuing from his Pokémon.

“Whereas battling eez seemingly allowed in ze cabins and the battle room below, all Pokémon must be kept in their pokéballs at all uzzer times.” The sailor explained in a French accent.

“No worries, sir, I’ll ensure they behave themselves.” Sapph assured him, plastering a large false smile on his face, which fell as they rounded the corner out of sight.

“Do you have to annoy every Chansey you see?” Sapph asked Mongle exasperatedly as they entered the gangway leading to their cabin.

<HEY, it’s not my fault Chansey nurses have the temperament of a rabid Primeape when they get a little food all over them!> Mongle complained as he walked along side Sapph over the threshold of their cabin door inside.

It was fairly roomy inside, with a videophone, computer, desk and chair and a comfortable single bed with blue and white linen sheets. Two small, circular portholes lined the opposite wall. The floors were oak panelled and varnished to give in a golden sheen and the walls and ceiling had been painted a luxuriant blue colour.

Not too shabby, Sapph thought impressively, giving the room a complimentary smile as he put his rucksack and proceeded to the windows.

“Chansey was right… you ARE revolting!> Ledyba muttered, fluttering along in behind them as Sapph opened the window to air the cabin.

<HEY!> Mongle yelled again, rounding on Ledyba. <It WAS your fault!>

<This time, it was partly, yeah! Last time it was yours!> Ledyba said, heating up.

<Partly?! Whaddya mean, ‘partly’? Hey, if you didn’t hit my back so hard then…> Mongle said, sticking his face up to Ledyba’s.

<What? You want to go at it, Flea Butt?> Ledyba retorted, pushing Mongle back.

<WHAT DID YOU CALL ME, BUG EYE?!!> Mongle retorted, trying to get around the sole of Sapph’s sneaker to get at Ledyba.

<BUG EYE?! I ought to…> Ledyba yelled, trying to get at the Leaf Squirrel Pokémon from behind Sapph’s elbow.

“Guys, chill… save the aggro for the next battle…” Sapph said, trying to keep Mongle and Ledyba from fighting.

<You just can’t take the fact that girl Pokémon everywhere are crazy about my cool sense of humour rather than your inferiority complex!> Mongle yelled.

Sapph froze and sweat dropped.

<Crazy about what?! You?! Don’t make me throw up! AGAIN!> Ledyba yelled back.

<Sapph, get outta this! I’m gonna squish you flat, Bug Eye!> Mongle yelled, struggling to get a decent shot at Ledyba.

<Just try it, you!> Ledyba yelled back. <I’ll pluck that leaf outta your flea-ridden backside! Sapph, stand aside and let me at him!> Ledyba countered.

“Guys, calm down!” Sapph pleaded, straining to keep them apart.

The door swivelled open and the stiff waiter poked his head in to give Sapph a chiding stare as he asked rhetorically “No trouble, monsieur?”

Sapph sweat dropped as he smiled broadly back and said airily “Nope, no trouble, garcon. None at all… all under control here…heh, heh.”

“Indeed,” the waiter said coldly, his watchful eyes wandering to Mongle, whom Sapph was half-squashing under his right sneaker and his Ledyba, who he was currently grasping in a tight half-nelson. Not smiling, he backed out of the room, closing the door with a snap.

Sapph exhaled deeply and loosening his hold on his Pokémon, said exasperatedly “Do you guys seriously want to get me into trouble every where we go?”

<Sapph, let me at him!> Both Pokémon yelled, staring electric daggers at each other.

“Okay, THAT’S IT! BOTH of you take a time out!” Sapph yelled, returning the squabbling Pokémon to the confines of their pokéballs. Sapph then flopped onto his bed, closing his sapphire blue eyes. An unbidden image of Chanseys, Nidorina and a Kangaskhan chasing Mongle who wore some platinum chains and a mink coat with hearts in their eyes then appeared in his mind.

<WE LOVE YOU MONGLE!> The Chansey screamed.

<MARRY ME MONGLE!> The Nidorina yelled.

<MEET MONGLE JR.! I NAMED HIM AFTER YOU!> The Kangaskhan squealed, holding up her baby.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!” Sapph screamed, jolting awake suddenly, his face drenched in sweat.

‘Don’t make me throw up?’ Sapph thought furtively, reaching for his backpack and heading for the door. I think it may be too late for me, Ledyba…urgh, I need air…

Sapph staggered topside, looking faintly green; oblivious to two shady figures skulking in the shadow of the wall behind him.

“He’s the one, hunh?” A cold male voice asked.

“Yeah,” a female voice answered.

“Then we make our move now.” He replied, starting after Sapph.

“Not yet! We can’t afford to mess up the boss’s plans or we’ll catch heck!” the female voice hissed imperiously, beckoning its companion to follow.

“Right,” The male voice answered grudgingly, following the female one’s lead.

Sapph walked along the deck of the ferry towards the railing where he’d be able to see Nightspark Harbour when it would first roll into view

Damn that Kamren, Sapph thought angrily, quickly getting over his wave of nausea as the cool sea air whipped his face pleasantly, I’ll get that jerk if it’s the last thing I do! How could he refuse to help all those Pokémon he probably landed in the Centre! Just you wait, Kamren Kent! Just you wait!

“I say, young ‘un! What would you say to a quick battle?” Sapph turned to see that the speaker was an elderly man in a neatly pressed brown suit with a cane and bowler hat to match. The man held himself in a highly dignified manner.

“Sure thing! Is one Pokémon each OK with you?” Sapph said cockily. Inwardly though he said I’ll need all the training I can get! Mongle and Ledyba need to blow some steam too, anyway!

“Decided. I choose Knuks.” The Gentleman said showing and opening a pokéball. Many of the crew on duty stopped their work to watch as white light spilled onto the deck forming a small black rodent-like animal. It looked very similar to Mongle, except it had a stump for a tail and was black with two white stripes running down its back and a white triangular streak running down the middle of its face.

Knuks, the Skunk Pokémon. Knuks are friendly Pokémon except when scared or angry, in which case they cloak themselves with a cloud of pungent fumes.

Sounds like Mongle when he’s insulted after he eats a chilli burrito, Sapph thought with a grin.

“Go, Ledyba! Use Tackle now!” Sapph called, straightening his face and throwing Ledyba’s ball onto the pitch.

Ledyba appeared and charged into battle in a full force tackle.

“Knuks, Poison Gas!” the gentleman ordered primly.

A whirlwind of poison gas blew up around Knuks which sent Ledyba up and away. Ledyba crashed onto the deck, choking on the gas.

Whoa, that was a strong attack! Sapph thought. How do I beat that?

“Now, Knuks, Scratch attack!” the Gentleman ordered reservedly, pointing his cane at Ledyba, who hovered close to the deck, gagging on the deck.

Knuks ran his clawed paw across Ledyba’s forehead, sending the Five Star Pokémon skidding across the deck.

“This battle won’t last long.” One sailor told another.

“Ay, the poison seems to be taking its toll on Ledyba” his companion agreed.

“Are you sure that you are worthy of that Web Badge on your chest?” the gentleman asked Sapph auspiciously.

Ledyba and Sapph’s eyes reduced to slits.

“Ledyba, use Tackle!”

“Knuks, Poison Gas again!”

The whirlwind of gas started up again as Ledyba bore down on Knuks.

“Now, Ledyba hold your breath and ride the winds up!” Sapph ordered.

What the-, the gentleman gasped.

Ledyba spiralled up until he was above the twister.

“Now, dive bomb him with a Tackle!”

“No!”

Ledyba shot down into the middle of the vortex at Knuks; the force of the tackle dispelled the gas and sent Knuks into the ferry’s on-deck pool. The crew were in shock after this ploy. It was only after the Gentleman’s shout for help that they awoke to their senses.

“Help! Knuks can’t swim!” the gentleman whimpered.

“Ledyba, rescue it fast!” Sapph said.

Ledyba tried to rise, but coughed and hit the deck.

“Ledyba!” Sapph cried. Quickly returning Ledyba to his ball, Sapph ran to the pool, shrugging off his backpack and dived in.

“Hey!” One of the sailors cried.

“Hold on, I got you!” Sapph said, reaching the Knuks and placing its bedraggled form onto his head as he swam back onto the deck.

“Are you OK?” asked a crew member, helping Sapph out of the water.

“Yeah. Sorry about…” Sapph began as the gentleman took Knuks back and examined it.

“No, it’s OK… he’s fine. I’m the one who should be thanking you.” The gentleman said, profusely shaking Sapph’s hand.

“It’s OK, really,” Sapph said, rubbing the back of his head embarrassedly.

“I’m also sorry for my jibe on your ability,” he continued, “You did earn that badge. You’re Knuks’s hero!”

“Ours too,” said a cold voice.

Everyone turned to see Sapph’s rucksack in the hand of a tall, young woman with long dark hair and cold, hazel eyes in a black cat suit. Beside her stood a tall man with short, silver hair and matching eyes in an identical cat suit. Both wore identical navy blue bandannas with black ‘S’s on them: the man had his on his right arm, the woman wore hers around her neck like a neckerchief.

“Who are you guys? Give me my rucksack back!” Sapph demanded.

<And what’s with your awful Halloween outfits?> Knuks asked, sizing the duo up.

“Tch, tch. So many questions, so little time.” The woman said with a smirk.

“And to refer to your rude question and demand, we’re Team Shadow…” the man said.

“…and you can have your dirty sack after we take this!” the woman finished, as the man fished out the machine parts.

“Give those back! Entover City and half of Corei need that for their electricity!” Sapph yelled.

“So does our boss…” the woman said.

“…and our boss always gets what he wants, hunh Kayla?” the man smirked, only to receive a great big smack on the head.

“Andre, you idiot! We were supposed to- oops!” the woman’s snarl turned to a look of stupidity and humiliation.

“-remain anonymous? Like thieves as asinine as you could even manage that.” The gentleman snorted.

“Anyway, give my stuff and those parts back right now, or I’ll…” Sapph called

“You’ll what?” the woman called Kayla challenged.

“Or I’ll make you! Go, Mongle!” Sapph finished, releasing his faithful friend into the fray.

“Pfft, child’s play. Hold on to the parts, Andre, I’ll deal with our young friend,” Kayla said, pulling out a Pokéball and throwing it onto the deck. “Go, Zubat!”

A small, purple bat-like creature formed in midair from the light that spilled from the pokéball. With two tails, large dart shaped ears and wings which it fluttered constantly to stay up, Zubat had no eyes.

Zubat, the Bat Pokémon. To make up for its zero vision, Zubat’s ears allow it to effectively use echolocation in navigating the caves where it lives.

“Sapph! We can’t be much help, mate! Our Pokémon are still in the Nightspark City Pokémon Centre!” One of the sailors cried.

“They accidentally got drunk during ze ongoing annual Nightspark Pokémon festival during their last shore leave and fought each uzzer to exhaustion.” The sniffy waiter explained, who’d also come topside to see what the ruckus was.

All the other sailors sweat dropped.

“It was an accident!” One sailor yelled.

“AYE!” the rest hollered in unison.

Gee, that’s helpful, Sapph thought, rolling his eyes as another unwelcome vision filled his head as he saw several Machop, Horsea, Staryu and Tentacool all with red tinges in their cheeks in a bar late at night.

“No problem,” Sapph assured them, staring Kayla down. “After a Gym Leader, these losers are a walk in the park!”

“What an arrogant child...Zubat, Supersonic! On your right!” Kayla ordered.

“Dodge it!” Sapph yelled.

Using its heightened speed, Mongle was able to stay out of the incoming sound waves’ way. They hit the deck and shattered a four inch portion of the polished deck.

“Mongle, use Razor Leaf!” Sapph ordered.

“Dodge it! On your right!” Kayla ordered.

Zubat dropped into a tailspin to avoid the stream of leaves Mongle released at it. It flapped its wings rapidly and pulled out of the sharp drop, twirling to face Mongle again.

<How’d it do that?> Mongle yelled, it's eyes as wide as dinner plates.

“Your little rat just made a big mistake,” Kayla smirked. “Zubat, Air Cutter!”

Zubat reared up by flapping its wings faster and dived right at Mongle, hugging the deck and creating a blade of high pressure wind which kept on its course towards the Leaf Squirrel Pokémon even after it pulled away. Mongle jumped aside and rolled across the deck, leaving the attack to create a sizeable gash in the deck. Zubat dipped its wing and swooped around the deck to make another Air Cutter attack connect this time with Mongle’s flank, sending him spinning across the deck and crashing into a bucket.

“Mongle!” Sapph yelled.

“We don’t need any distractions, Zubat,” Kayla said coolly. “Use your Haze technique!”

Thick fog descended onto the deck as Sapph looked on aghast. Soon, he could see nothing in front of his nose, let alone the battle.

What did she mean by ‘distractions’? Sapph thought frantically. Zubat can’t see, so the only way she could attack in an open space like this is…

“Slow, aren’t you?” Kayla’s voice taunted as the noise of another failed Air Cutter reached Sapph. “How Cassandra of Entover Gym’s Ledian could lose to the likes of you two is beyond me…”

“Of course!” Sapph cried out.

<It’s SOUND!> Mongle thought, completing Sapph’s outburst.

“Tsk, you’re a noisy brat aren’t you?” Kayla scolded. “Now I’ve gotta get rid of you too. Zubat, Air Cutter the kid off the deck!”

Sapph stood transfixed in terror as he heard the speeding Poison/Flying combination Pokémon wing towards him. Even if the first attack missed, the second wouldn’t…

Suddenly, a large wind blew in from above, scattering the Haze created by Zubat. Its strength was such that it even blew the Zubat off course. As it tried to right itself, a second burst of air knocked the Bat Pokémon silly. Fluke or not, Sapph thought, this had to be his only chance to win. Mongle was back on his feet, breathing heavily. A long horizontal cut ran along its side as an identical fire lit in the duo’s eyes as they nodded at each other. It was now or never…

“Mongle, Razor Leaf Attack, go!” Sapph yelled, pumping his fist.

“Zubat, Supersonic!” Kayla yelled in retaliation.

Zubat opened its fanged mouth to release a series of sound waves to confuse Mongle once more, but before it could launch its attack, Mongle pummelled the Bat Pokémon’s head with a rapid fire strafe of sharp leaves. Zubat was forced to drop several feet only to meet Mongle’s tail in an uncommanded Pound attack which sent Zubat smashing into the deck.

“What kind of Flying Pokémon are you?!” Andre screamed as Zubat struggled to gain its wits.

“Another one, Mongle!” Sapph commanded.

“You help too, Knuks! Use Faint Attack to get the parcel back!” The gentleman whispered to Knuks who nodded his assent and vanished in a wisp of darkness.

Mongle launched another round, this time at Andre’s wrist, which, upon connecting caused him to drop the package, which was quickly caught by Knuks, who then slammed Andre into Kayla and Zubat.

“Give that here, you little rat!” Kayla demanded. “Zubat, attack it with Bite! And get off me, Andre! What kind of grip have you got?”

“Oh, SHUT UP!” Andre retorted, scrambling off his team mate on to his feet.

“Knuks, Poison Gas!” its trainer called as Zubat zoomed in on it.

Knuks complied by closing its eyes and releasing a focussed gas attack at Team Shadow, who were instantly immobilised by the stink for ten whole seconds before screaming in protest and pain.

“What an unearthly stench!” Kayla shrieked, trying and failing to clear the gas by waving her hand while her other one clutched her throat.

“MY NOSE! I can’t feel my nose!” Andre bellowed his hand over his face.

“Thanks for the assist, sir! Now Pound them away, Mongle!” Sapph called.

Mongle began to run at such a terrific speed, he suddenly disappeared from view, reappearing only as he made contact with the troublesome trio, who dropped Sapph’s bag as they flew beyond the horizon.

“My word! That was no doubt a Quick Attack!” the Gentleman remarked.

<Thanks for the assistance, Knuks… Knuks?> Mongle said hesitantly as Knuks doubled over in seeming pain. A split second later, Knuks began to glow with white light as he began to change form.

<HEY! You OK, Knuks?> Mongle asked again.

“Is my little Knuks…” the Gentleman said, startled.

“…evolving.” A sailor said in hushed tones.

Everyone looked on in awe as Knuks’s body grew longer. His hind paws grew bigger as his forelimbs and claws elongated and thickened. At last, the light died down. Knuks new form rose onto its stumpy hind legs as it raised its thickened forelimbs as it examined its powerful new claws. It then wobbled a little and fell on all fours again where it looked itself over. The stripes on its back were the same, only longer, but the mark on its forehead had split into two and seemed to have shifted to its eyebrows. Its ears and eyes remained the same, although its nose had doubled in size.

“Wow… I wonder what that is…” Sapph said aloud.

His Pokédex replied: Stinx, the Skunk Pokémon. Stinx’s new powerful claws can easily shatter steel. However, due to their weight, Stinx often has to move them in a wide arc while in battle.

“LAND HO!” the lookout called as the last of Zubat’s Haze cleared away to reveal the evening twilight’s arrival.

“Nightspark Harbour, finally!” Sapph exclaimed, watching as a large city ablaze with light came into view.

“Stinx, return!” The gentleman said, returning his newly evolved Pokémon in a flash of white light. “Bravo, Sapph! Even watching you battle was a great honour!”

“Gee, thanks. Mongle, return!” Sapph replied, copying the gentleman’s actions as the ferry slowed to a stop at the pier.

“The festival is still on ‘til the end of the week… I hear there’s an event for trainers on the last day. Maybe you’d want to check it out…” one of the sailors on shore told Sapph as he wended his way through the crowd at the pier asking for directions the local Pokémon Centre.

“Sounds good,” Sapph agreed, “Thanks for the info!”

Okay, first things first… Sapph thought as he walked down the brightly lit streets, admiring the displays, parades and performers, I’ve got to get Mongle and Ledyba to the Pokémon Centre. While they’re being treated, I’ll head for the Power Plant…

After getting directions to the Power Plant from the local Nurse Joy (who happened to be the Olville Town Nurse Joy’s first cousin twice removed), Sapph proceeded to the station to finish his errand.

The engineer he met was nothing short of thrilled.

“We can’t thank you enough for your help,” the engineer said gratefully after Sapph told him his tale. “Now all of Southeast Corei can get uninterrupted power and we engineers can get a bit of a break from our chief engineer…” he added with a sly grin.

“What was that?” a sharp voice said behind the man, who suddenly broke out into a cold sweat.

Sapph looked over his shoulder to see an extremely pretty lady with straight black hair in a blue and yellow jumpsuit heading towards them. Her sparkling green eyes were presently narrowed in suspicion.

“Errrr… nothing, nothing!” The man said hastily.

“And who do we have here?” she said, her eyes fixing on Sapph.

“I-erm, I-I-I’m Sapph.” Sapph stammered, mainly out of nerves.

“He just brought us the needed generator parts from Entover City.” The man cut in.

“Oh! Why, thank you Sapph! This is wonderful!” the chief engineer said, her face breaking into a dazzling smile.

Sapph felt himself reddening for the second time in two days. What was wrong with my face? He asked himself furiously.

“No problemo, now I can go challenge the gym for my second league badge!” Sapph said rearranging his face.

“Oh! Sapph, I’m sorry, but the gym’s closed for the day!” she apologized, a sad smile on her face.

“WHAAAAAAAAAT?!” Sapph yelled in disbelief as he face-faulted.

“Oh, don’t worry, Sapph. I know the leader, Arlene, and I’m sure she’ll see you tomorrow!” the chief engineer reassured Sapph.

This proposition had the effect of cheering Sapph up loads.

“Really? I mean, it won’t be a bother?” Sapph asked joyously.

“Sure, I’m positive she’ll be thrilled. Don’t worry about a thing,” the chief engineer said with a wink.

“Oh-kay! Well, I guess I’ll stay in town ‘til tomorrow then!” Sapph said.

“Sure, enjoy the festival during your stay!” the chief engineer said cheerfully.

“You bet!” Sapph said, his voice packed with pep.

“What spark! I like you already!” the chief engineer said again, flashing another dazzling smile.

Stop blushing already! Sapph ordered himself, reddening as he told himself so.

“Well, come on Carson, we have to get that generator running… maybe we’ll get a little rest after that! Bye!” She said as she turned to leave.

Sapph and Carson exchanged a bewildered look. Sapph wished he could stop blushing. He threw an askance look at Carson and saw that he wished he could stop sweating as much as he wanted to stop looking like a Charmeleon with sunburn.

“Got to go… oh, and one more thing. Take this TM as my thanks. Its technique is a little archaic, but it may come in handy.” The engineer called Carson said, giving Sapph a yellow disc.

“Wow, thanks! But, won’t you need it?” Sapph asked, placing the disc in his TM case (another artefact he had acquired brand new from the Cherrygrove Odds and Ends Store.)

“Don’t worry; I’ve got a friend in Kanto who has copies. Just don’t let my boss know where you got it, OK? Bye!” Carson replied, turning to go.

“OK, bye!” Sapph said as Carson left.

***​

As he made his way back to the Centre, Sapph’s thoughts finally returned to Team Shadow. And it was only after passing the message that he’d successfully delivered the parts over the videophone to the Nurse Joy stationed in Entover City, did he voice his thoughts to a fully healed Mongle and Ledyba.

<Now what, Sapph? You don’t miss Joy that much already, do ya?> Mongle said slyly, opening his cinnamon sprinkle ice cream Sapph had bought him at the fair on his way back to the centre.

“Shut up, Mongle,” Sapph said warningly. “Don’t forget, that cost me a bit…”

<My silence shall never be bought! Sapph-y and Joy-ey, sittin’ in a tree…> Mongle sang out in a voice full of cheer.

<What is wrong then, Sapph?> Ledyba asked curiously, graciously accepting the large bag of honey-coated popcorn Sapph had got him and popping a few into his mouth chewing softly.

“They seemed to know an awful lot about my movements in Corei, that Team Shadow. It’s as if they’re stalking me, though that’s not possible,” Sapph said slowly.

<Don’t worry about them, Sapph. They must be long gone by now!> Ledyba said soothingly.

<If they worry you so much, why not ask Prof. Yew or Mrs. Kent about them?> Mongle asked reasonably.

“I would, but it’s not like I’m at war with them or anything. I don’t want to get mixed up in anything messy…” Sapph demurred.

<Yeah, you worry way too much. It doesn’t suit you at all,> Mongle chuckled.

<Anyway, out of sight, out of mind. You have other things to worry about than those guys, Sapph.> Ledyba agreed.

“Like what?”

<Your gym battle tomorrow morning!> the two Pokémon chorused.

“Speaking of which, we’ll have a training session before that tomorrow, so get some rest, OK?” Sapph said, reaching for their Pokéballs.

<OK, good night.> Ledyba said disappearing into his ball.

<I just wonder where Bubbles, Haley, Burner and Kamren are.> Mongle wondered, dodging the beam of light to hear Sapph’s comments.

“Dunno, Mongle. Frankly, in Kamren and Burner’s case, I couldn’t really care less.” Sapph said, stifling a yawn.

<Yeah, like Ledyba said, ‘Out of sight, out of mind.’> Mongle replied, finally returning to the confines of his pokéball.

Good point, Sapph thought as he rolled over on his side and drifted off to sleep the hustle and bustle of the Nightspark City carnival lulling him on to dream world.

***​

Don’t forget to criticize where it’s needed!

Okay, L@er!

Last edited:

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
Your punctuation kills me. >_>

Not a bad chapter. Skink is an interesting Pokemon. XD POISON GAS!

Kayla and Andre are stupid. They have no brains. >_<

And Litaire still hasn't joined the party. This is stupid. All she probably contributed was a gust of wind...

Herm. Must wait for next chapter now.

-enters hibernation-

MerlockVonBaron

What's up? A skunk pokemon, nice one. Great chapter. Hopefully, Haley returns and travels with Sapph perminantly. Did you get my last pm?

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
yeah i got it, MVB. Your character may have a fair few appearances in upcoming chapters so sit tight!

Felix, glad to know i'm killin' ya...meh. Well, gotta slide!

Later!

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
I've been meaning to review, but college is hectic and it's hard to find the time to just sit down and review. I'm afraid I'll have to take it chapter-by-chapter. Hope that's all right. If you post slowly I might be able to catch up come winter vacation. (Roughly Dec. 16th for me).

Anyways

The breathtaking scenery however, was not on the mind of some of the passengers. Indeed, an eleven year old boy found sleeping a more fulfilling past time than stopping to sniff the roses (not that he could stop the train to sniff them anyway.

A good beginning. Not entirely catchy, but good. And I found it quite amusing that he decided to sleep - oh, and I think 'smell' would be better than the irregular sniff in the first use of the world. It just flows better.

You also could have extended this.. prologue thing a bit longer, in my opinion it was just a little short and abrupt to me. And you don't really need the 'flashback' with the whole "Cherrygrove three days ago" thing in place already. It kinda tells us we're already in a flashback.

-Flashback-

. At least he would have if his mother didn’t know how to get him out of bed in the mornings.

I tend to sleep in realllly late to if given the chance.

“Really, how’s Tyra?” she asked, looking up form her waffles.

Tyra was Katherine’s Typhlosion.

“Looks like she’s going to go into labour or something,” Sapph mumbled his mouth once again filled with waffle.

Katherine’s fork fell from her hand with a loud clattering.

“She’s what?” she breathed.

(...)

I don’t get it, Sapph thought, a piece of waffle hanging out the corner of his mouth. If Tyra’s having the baby, why’s she so happy?

An amusing exchange that I actually smiled at. Particularly the last line.

“I’ve gotta show Dad that I can do this,” Sapph murmured to her, pushing two flags; one red and one green into her hands.

*snorts* forcing her to be a referee. Though I don't think murmured is quite the right tag. PRobably, 'whispered quickly' or something.

What the! Rumble and Sapph thought frantically.

This thought seemed horribly out of place. So far you've been in 3rd person single perspective - as in, through Sapph's eyes only. Ala Harry Potter. No other outside thoughts but Sapphs. So having Rumble's thoughts show with Sapph's seems horribly awkward.

Maybe: Sapph's eyes constricted as the Cubone disappeared in a cloud of smoke. What the...

“FLAMETHROWER!!!” Emma yelled incredulously.

I'd stay away from multiple !. If you must emphasize, ?! can be used sparingly, and italicizing it could work just was well. not to mention it's caps locked already.

“Here,” he mumbled, still in shock at what his impatience had cost the family. “The Strength Badge. Wear with honour.”

At least he's not too bad of a sport.

“Lay off, alright ,Emm?” Sapph yelled hotly. “I admit it, I screwed up big time. I shoulda listened but noooo… I had to go ahead with my stupid, abjectly insane plot to get Dad to be pleased with me for once! I messed up Dad’s best chance to promote the gym, I blew it, I threw all their hard work out of the window, I…”

“Dad did see you lose,” Emma cut across her big brother. “So did Mum and Rubin.”

“After all,” he added, “it took you three years to graduate from Earl’s Pokémon Academy, and it took Rubin one. Geniuses do exist, and they know how best to handle themselves and their responsibilities,” Justin Manson’s emphasis on the last word was suffocating.

What a nice dad. XD

“Listen, Sapph: I can’t say I’m sorry about the battle yesterday. Someone had to win, and we both know it. Let’s just use the experience to look forward and try to be the best that we can be, deal?” Rickie asked offering his hand.

I'm oddly glad to see Rickie again.XD I wish he had stayed.

===

Anyways, I think the revision is much better than the original. You're showing a lot of potential here, and seem to be getting better - I'm sure I'll notice as I read more chapters.

However, you tend to fill your chapters with dialogue - which, no, that isn't a bad thing. But oftentimes you need a bit of narrative in between, not just after the dialogue tags. It helps slow the pace down when it's going to fast or ending to abrupt. This can be as simple as feelings, or what's going on around him.

Also, you tend to use the same patterns for dialogue. "Hey, what's up," Sapph said. - Then go on to next paragraph. You can break dialogue to help heighten the impact in the middle of dialogue, or even for a change of pace, use something like:

Angry, Sapph said "I won't lose you you!"

Breaking up dialogue in the middle can be good. You can break it with actions on how a character feels. I'll use an example from your chapter, shall I?

“Justin, honey, please relax and try to enjoy your meal!” Katherine said for the umpteenth time.

Or "Justin.. honey," Katherine said quietly, hesitantly, touching her husband's arm, "please relax and try to enjoy your meal."

--

“Filming your loss to the Pokémon League HQ…do you understand the magnitude of what you’ve done?” Justin continued to bawl.

Bawl's an awefully childish sounding word, and doesn't seem to fit, BTW. And I found this sentence awkwardly worded:

"The whole battle was being filmed! Filmed, Sapph! Filmed! " Sapph's father's face reddened with increasing rage, while his dad's gravelly tone lowered into almost a whisper. "Do you understand the magnitude of what you've done - to the Gym, to my reputation?"

On a whole, you're getting a good grasp of dialogue and how to use it. Right now, pacing seems to be your main topic, and helping to work it into dialogue that flows a bit better. You're doing a good job though.

Your characters also seem quite realistic this time around. We get to know about other character's motivations -- Sapph wanting to be respected, Rubin's indifference.. Emma's sympathy. It was good, and you structured things pretty well. And on a whole, you had several interesting things going, such as Sapph battling Ricky even though he wasn't supposed to. It was a nice plot twist.

Professor Yew's motivation for asking Sapph to come to Corei was a little sketchy and I was rather confused. Perhaps you could've included dialogue on how he had seen the battle, and saw potential in the boy more in depth. You still did a pretty good job with this, and was much better than the "wake up and go get first pokemon type of thing."

Personalities are very good this time around. I can actually imagine them as real people instead of cardboard boxes pretending to be people. I could tell that Emma sympathized with Sapph, Katherine (love the name) is on her son's side and is a nice, loving wife. Rubine is, for whatever reason, indifferent. Justin's hotheaded and doesn't like to be disgraced and so on and so forth.

With a bit more work you could have a very epic work in your hands. You sure are doing a good job thus far, and I wasn't bored reading it. ^^