• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Corei Quest...rewritten!

Which Corei Starter would you choose?

• Mongle

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Fryger

• Aquari

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingT

Burn
What Mr.Merlock said.

Peace, KingT

icemew

Banned
Aw, too bad Sapph gave his Mogshex away, I really liked it. Zen is really cool though, so I guess that makes up for it. I liked the whole idea of a pokemon infestation being caused by one angry pokemon and needing to be cleared out too.

DarkPersian479

We'll start with the classic...

STOP! GRAMMAR TIME!
“Well, at least the prof let us off homework today,” she said flippantly,

“Nice work, Eaves!” a boy of fourteen cheered from behind the small foxlike creature. “Now go with a Tackle attack!”

“Bubbles, you use Tackle too!” a girl of eleven replied quickly in a commanding manner to the blue rabbit, pointing towards ‘Eaves’ and his trainer for emphasis.
Again, I point to my grammar advice thread. There are other instances of this in this chapter, so be on the lookout. Other than that, grammar looks good.

Now for the remainder of this...
Aww, that's sweet, giving Mogshex to his sister. Maybe now she can administer those bullies a lesson... in PAIN and PWNAGE! Just like Taebrawl did to Kamren. He had it coming, though. Seriously.

<Whoa, who’s the Cyber cop?> Crimson said in awe.
I LOLd at that line! The different Pokemon personalities certainly make the battles lively.

But wow, I guess Taebrawl's situation did something to make Sapph take a look and do some deep thinking... I wonder what changes are going to come about as a result of this.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
Hey, I learn taekwondo...XD You could ask me if you need advice on some kicking techniques. I randomly chain them out and execute them since I go to a few tournaments yearly.

Zen is quite cool...Although I keep thinking Medicham is very similar to Taebrawls. Hopefully Taebrawl will have a different move set from Medicham.

Mogshex is gone! -gasp- There goes Sapph's most lethal party member. -sigh- Oh well, all the better to own street bullies with.

The postscript on Sapph's letter was funny given the conditions...XD "If she scratches you across the face, it means she likes you."

Yay for Cyber Cops! Fear them for they will kick your rear. Something I wanna ask for this:

[spoil]Were you perhaps inspired by Midian's Javas? XD TEH FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!!![/spoil]

For once, Kamren is teh pwnt. How is he going to live it down?

What will happen to Sapph and the dojo next chapter!? Ooooooo...I can't wait!

Felix shall take his leave, for the lessons are soon.

Pika out.

Last edited:

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Happy Easter in advance post

MerlockVonBaron: thanks for the supportive post!

KingT: right... see post to MVB...

DarkPersian 479: right, thanks. working on them now... you seem t o the only one somewhat ok to see Mogshex leave the team. ah well, it's not like we won't see Emma and her Pokemon sooner or later (hintseasonthreehint)

icemew: phaer the cybercop! HAHAHAHAHAHAH! Zen's one of the original members of Sapph's team at the finals.

Felix Feral Fezirix: another 'NOOOO! Mogshex is gone!' guy... Mogshex had to go for story development. Besides, in season two if Mogshex stayed, things get violently hairy around here... oh and about zen.. he was sort of inspired by that, but not much so... the bionic arm was an idea to help explain *%$&%^&%^&$%^$%&^&^(random, anti spoiler gibberish)

ok gotta go, Happy Easter guys!

L@er!

Last edited:

islandboi89

Dark Trainer
another great chapter! ...i've been reading corei quest since it came out, but didn't make a id.
question..? Is mongle ever gonna evolve? and i kinda want to see the evolution chain and the pokemon u put up on the first site..... which looked pretty cool, so if u can, could u put the pics up again?

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
Hey'all AD.

I have been reading this fic since about Chapter 8 or so, so I decided to review right now by saying this fic is AWESOME. A great journey fic, as good as my other faves (Em1's Revolution, Arcanine's Now and Forever and my own Shade Generation), with a smooth style laced with some funny scenes and personas.

I see no grammer or spelling errors without looking too hard, so that's a good thing. Anyway, can't go on for much longer so keep it up, AD and I can't wait for the next chapter (When is that coming btw)!

Laters.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Chapter fifteen... at last!

islandboi, I didn’t recall doing that… oh well, good idea anyways…

Matt Silver, thanks for the review! Hope I can keep it up!

Well, here we are again… faced with exams and nowhere to go but forward. This will be my last pre-exam post and I plan to make it a good one. I nearly stopped after eight/nine pages, but as I’ve already planned all sixty chapters of TCQ, write out the 20+ pages I must…

Before I go on, I must announce the winner of the ‘Nickname Mongle’ competition. The winner iiiissss… EonMaster One’s Anuvi! Congratulations! *Showers with waffles* Don’t worry, Felix, another main character’s Pokémon was dubbed Blitzkrieg, and all other suggestions will be used so thank you all *brings out complementary cookies and throws to the readers*

And now, on to the chapter…

Chapter Fifteen: Rock On, Grandpa​

The sun was barely above the hills of Route 305 when Sapph and Haley were at it again. And by ‘it’, I mean their ‘No… I’m gonna kill you before this journey’s over’ mouth-off war.

“Sapph, it’s the crack of dawn,” Haley grumbled, as she straightened her hair out from under her wide-brimmed hat. “If Kamren was around Pampa all this time, don’t you think he’d be long gone now?” she added, stifling a huge yawn.

Sapph remained silent as he trudged on the path that led to the Relic Pass and eventually Dinocanyon City, where his third gym match awaited.

“Hmph, we could have at least gotten something to eat before we left,” she went on, wistfully glancing at a mobile vending cart that was just opening for business.

“So now the truth is out,” Brian said with a grin. “Ah always thought you were more of a morning person than ol’ Sapph.”

Haley turned slightly pink and muttered “Can it, Brian.”

Chuckling, Brian diverted his next question to Sapph. “Hey, Sapph… why y’all in such a hurry-like move to get outta Pampa anyhows?”

Without looking back, Sapph replied succinctly, “Dunno… Pampa has some bad memories for Zen… I want to move on quickly…”

Haley let out a snort of laughter mid-yawn around the point Sapph said his Taebrawl’s nickname.

In a slightly irate voice, Sapph said shortly, “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing… much,” Haley said in a lofty voice.

“Sure, Haley,” Sapph said tetchily. “I suppose you think Zen’s nickname is funny, don’t you?”

“Uh, hunh,” Haley said cheerfully, her tone of voice irritating Sapph even further.

Fuming, Sapph said, “Well, too bad.”

“Calm down, y’all,” Brian said firmly.

“Get her off my back; then I’ll calm down,” Sapph said shortly, breaking into a sprint as they reached the Pampa City town limits.

You didn’t have to wake up when I did if you wanted to sleep… I’m fine training on my own ‘til you were ready to move, Sapph thought irately.

“Aw, man… Sapph, wait up!” the others exclaimed.

“Hey, Brian!” a cheerful voice said behind Brian and Haley, stopping the duo in their tracks and causing them to swivel around in unison to see the Crush Girl from yesterday running towards them, three boxed lunches cradled in her arms and a chubby yellow Pokémon with a red ring on each cheek at her heels as she ran towards them.

“Hey, Mia,” Brian said cheerfully, hanging back to chat.

“You’re up early,” Haley noted.

“You too,” Mia said with a grin, coming to a jogging halt before them, the strange Pokémon keeping time alongside her. “I went to the Pokémon Centre to give you these and the nurse said I’d just missed you… lucky I caught up!”

“Why’re you up so early looking for us anyways?” Haley pressed. “Is there another crazy Pokémon infestation?”

“Nah, Makuha and I are always up at dawn for a jog,” Mia said, not the slightest bit out of breath. “And I thought I’d make these for you and Sapph to eat on the way,” she said, handing over the boxed lunches to Brian. “Y’know, just a little thank you…”

“Wow! Thanks a bunch!” Haley said enthusiastically.

“Least I could do, after all the trouble you and Sapph went through yesterday,” Mia smiled, a slight blush creeping into her cheeks as Brian looked up from the lunch parcels at her.

“Much obliged, Miss Mia,” Brian said, tipping the bill of his cap and stowing the lunches in his backpack.

“Where is Sapph?” Mia said, suddenly noticing he wasn’t around.

Haley and Brian’s eyes opened as they’d realized the hold up had given Sapph quite a head start.

“Oh, snap! We’ve gotta go find him before his luck does!” Haley said frantically, rushing off onto the path Sapph had disappeared on.

“Heh, heh… well, thanks for everythin’ , Miss Mia,” Brian said, placing a swift peck on her cheek before running off after Haley, leaving Mia to blush worse than ever.

***​

“Now, where is he?” Haley wondered aloud, looking around the rocky landscape for a sign of her fixed-up travel partner.

“Dunno,” Brian said slowly, also looking around and seeing an unwary rabbit-like Pokémon with a dark brown body and saffron eyes peer out of its hole at them, its long ears erect and quivering.

“Say, Brian. Think I could… oh, I don’t know, eat my breakfast now?” Haley said with measured uncertainty in her voice as she turned on the puppy-dog-eyes effect.

Brian sweat dropped and said, “Sorry, Miss Haley, but it’s find Sapph first, eat later.”

Haley’s pleading look turned into a quickly-becoming characteristic scowl. “Snap…”

A loud thud and a slight tremor later had the Thermal Pokémon scurrying back into its burrow and Brian and Haley running towards the source. Rounding the corner, they found Sapph cornered against a large rock by a larger number of Ground Pokémon which resembled large raccoons with large, conical heads and ears. Their short noses tipped their wide, striped muzzles and their striped tails swayed from side to side as they advanced on Sapph and his Pokémon, all of which he currently had out.

“OK, we’ve found him,” Haley said in a voice that suggested looking for Sapph was a chore she could do without. “Now can I eat?”

“Haley!” Brian said in a shocked voice as he unclipped Eaves’ pokéball from his belt.

Haley rolled her eyes and unbuckled four orbs of her own. “I was joking, Brian…”

Brian only shook his head as he tossed Eaves’s pokéball into the fray to help Sapph’s team out.

<Aren’t y’all a li’l early this mornin’, Sherrif?> Eaves yawned.

“Sorry, pardner,” Brian said apologetically. “But Sapph’s gone and got himself…”

“…in a total mess,” Haley said succinctly, tossing her pokéballs into the air.

Her pokéballs spun in mid air releasing her team in three flashes of white light and one bouncing beam of blue which materialized to form Bubbles and the rest of Haley’s team: Mace the Urkid, Blitzkrieg the Sparkewt and Ento the Subbug.

<H-ha-haweeey,> Bubbles yawned drowsily, scratching behind her long, blue and black-tipped ear. <What’s wong?>

<I believe our assistance is required by our mistress Haley,> Ento said in a brisk, intellectual voice that sounded like an Einstein-recording underwater as he rustled his large clear wings. Ento had a wide, flat face with blue compound eyes on either side of his head. What seemed like two tubes projected out from where his mouth would have been to under his wings, where two large bubbles seemed to rest.

<Yeah, whatever,> Mace said, a wicked smile playing along his small mouth. Mace spoke in a tough, city slicker voice that seemed to match his bruiser attitude to a tee. The Urchin Pokémon, closely resembling a Ballomb with green eyes and no distinct arms, fuse and feet, shifted from side to side on a couple of painfully sharp looking spines that seemed to grow out of its sable body in anticipation of getting to blow something (namely himself) up.

Haley’s Electric Newt Pokémon had remained silent thus far. Finally, as though a light bulb had just been turned on in the upper levels of his conscious thought, he pointed at the attacking Ground Weasel Pokémon and said dimly <Fight?>

Haley sighed and said patiently “That’s right, Blitzkrieg. Just don’t use your Spark attack on them,” as she thought After all, Geosel, being Ground types won’t feel it.

Sparkewt just stared at Haley, his mouth hanging open in a stupefied manner.

Haley noticed her newly evolved Pokémon hadn’t quite figured out what to do so she said “Just use lots of water on them, OK?”

In reply, Sparkewt finally lowered his hand and smiled a big, goofy grin. <OK!> he said happily.

Haley exhaled in relief, having finally gotten through to her slow Pokémon. Turning to Brian, she said briskly, “Come on, let’s help that silly before they eat him or something…”

“Haley…” Brian said slowly, his eyes pinpricks and a large anime sweat drop hanging above his left temple.

“What?” Haley asked, slightly distracted by how Brian looked.

“Is that Sparkewt to’ally Ok up the noggin’?” Brian replied to which Haley face faulted.

“Oh, shut up,” she muttered again, turning to instruct her team.

“OK, Bubbles, go with Water Gun! Ento, use Bubblebeam!, Mace… no, you can not use Self Destruct! Attack with Spike Cannon! Blitzkrieg, copy Bubbles!”

<Got it!> Bubbles and Ento replied in unison.

<Okie-dokie!> Blitzkrieg said with a floppy-armed wave.

<Tch, whatever,> Mace grumbled, before glowing white all over and firing off a large number of painfully sharp rocks at the coffee-coloured Ground type Pokémon.

“Eaves, get in there with a Quick Attack!” Brian yelled, pointing at the Geosel to stress on his command.

<You got it, pardner!> Eaves whooped in anticipation of a good knock around, kicking off at a speed that made his small brown form seem to vanish into thin air, reappearing as he bowled two Geosel over. Back flipping out of the way of Haley’s attacks of high pressure water blasts, rapid fire bubbles and sharp rock-like projectiles which met the Geosel head on as they turned away from Sapph and his team to see what had hit them from behind.

Sapph looked up in surprise, to see Haley and Brian with their Pokémon out and mixing it up with his voluntary sparring opponents.

“Brian! Haley! What’re you doin’ here?” Sapph spluttered in surprise, staring at the wide assortment of Pokémon at Haley’s feet. “Are all those yours?”

“Hmm, let’s see…,” Haley said in a tone of mock thought. “To answer your questions, we’re here to save your uncouth, ungrateful rear, and yes all of these Pokémon…”

“Except Eaves, of course,” Brian chipped in.

“… are mine. Bubbles, Blitzkrieg! Water Gun again!” Haley yelled.

Bubbles and Blitzkrieg inhaled quickly, spewing out a pair of torrential streams of water at the susceptible Ground types.

“Hey, who said my rear needed saving? Ace, use Wing Attack! Silver, use Sonicboom!” Sapph retorted, pointing at a couple of wayward Ground Weasel Pokémon, who looked unsure as to which side to attack.

<Yes, sir!> Sapph’s Litaire said briskly, swooping in to strike the Geosel over the head, sending them for a loop.

Silver, Sapph’s newly nicknamed Magnemite, spun its horseshoe magnets around as it droned its flat, almost lifeless voice. <Health levels satisfactory… initiating accorded battle protocol response.> Suddenly moving at high speed, it flew over a couple of Geosel, creating a shock wave that was so high-pitched it made the rocks on the ground split.

“Hunh! Well, Tough Guy, people who’re surrounded by wild Pokémon in nine out of ten cases need rescuing!” Haley said coldly. “Ento, use Quick Attack!”

“Guys! Less arguin’, more battlin’! Eaves, you use Quick Attack too!” Brian said sternly, ordering his Eevee onto another two poor Geosel.

<All right! Whoopee-eye-ti-yi-yo-ah!> Eaves whooped, slamming another two Geosel with imperceptible speed as the yellow-and-blue striped Bug/Water Pokémon did the same.

<So,> Eaves drawled, drawing close to Sapph’s Leaf Squirrel Pokémon after knocking his targets into a small boulder nearby. <Learn any new tricks?>

<Just check this out,> the Mongle replied with a smirk as Sapph called out to it, “Anuvi, Leaf Blade attack!”

Anuvi ran in on a trio of hapless Geosel who looked like they’d had enough of being smacked around and wanted to withdraw from the battle field. Anuvi leapt into the air, twisting his body slightly as he rose. His tail leaf glowed a vivid, neon green hue as he descended on the Ground type Pokémon beneath him, swinging his tail at them and releasing a green arc of power which struck the defenseless Ground Weasel Pokémon hard, sending them at least twelve feet into the air.

All the other battlers seemed to slow to a halt to watch.

“Whoa, pardner!” Brian gasped. “Where’d he pick that trick from?”

“Mongle and its evolutionary line don’t even learn Leaf Blade!” Haley stammered, astounded at what she was seeing. “But at least it explains the power flashes Mongle keeps discharging…”

“Hey, Haley! Get with the program! He’s not ‘Mongle’ anymore!” Sapph yelled irritably. “His nickname‘s Anuvi!”

“’Anuvi’?” Brian asked uncertainly as Haley s******ed again.

“Taken from the Dunedé words for ‘young’ and ‘forest’,” Sapph explained shortly. After interacting with Zen, he’d noticed that a year of abandonment had given the Taebrawl a lot of opportunities to learn a variety of the languages spoken in Corei. Getting back to business, he hollered,” Crimson, use Mach Punch! Zen, use Pulse Bomb!”

Both the Five Star and Combatant Pokémon moved in on the Geosel at the same time; Crimson flashing out of sight as he barreled through about five Geosel fist-first, causing each to go flying. Zen, in the meanwhile, held out his right hand as a sphere of pure Megacite energy pulsated in his palm, releasing concentric rings of blue power which he hurled full force at another four Geosel. The Pulse Bomb hit the ground at their feet, sending the poor, raccoon-like Pokémon soaring.

Sapph, Haley and Brian’s Pokémon may have been outnumbered five to one by the Geosel, but each one of them had the experience of ten. In next to no time, all that could be seen of the battle field were the dust trails the Geosel left behind as they ran for it and the winning side celebrating their victory.

<Alright! High five!> Anuvi cheered, slapping his fore paw down on Eaves’s in the likes of a high five.

“Good job, guys,” Sapph said appreciatively, looking around at his team mates and his Kazutan travel mate.

“You too, Sapph… hey, li’l Bubbles,” Brian said, looking down at the Water Hare Pokémon in surprise, who’d been tugging on his trouser leg for the past minute as Sapph returned his Magnemite, Silver, on which the battle had placed the most strain, to its pokéball. “Whassamatter?”

<Bwian, Sap! Hawey’s ill!> Bubbles squealed, her eyes teary.

Brian and Sapph stared.

“No, Haley!” The two boys yelled, swiveling around to see the young researcher slumped against a rock, looking pale. Both trainers rushed over, worry filling every feature of their faces.

“Haley!” Sapph yelled, kneeling beside her and grabbing her face and slapping her across it briskly. “Snap out of it! Say something!”

“Sapph! Cut that out!” Brian said, worriedly. He knelt by Haley’s other side and felt her forehead, saying “Her temperature’s OK, and everything seems in working condition. She seems to be mumbling something, though,” Brian said quickly, rising to his feet and tugging the bill of his cap agitatedly as he scratched the back of his dark haired head.

Bubbles, now crying copiously, leapt onto Haley’s stomach and screeched <Don’ die, Hawey! Don’ die! I pwomise never to wet da bed, dwink fwom the toilet bowl or nibble on your notes ever again!> she sobbed, her ears resting near Haley’s mouth. This along with her enhanced hearing, enabled Bubbles to make out the almost incoherent words her trainer said.

“Too… h-hun… gry… can’t… mooove,” Haley groaned weakly.

As if to underline the point, her stomach gave off a huge, long-drawn whine that had both boys face faulting.

Shooting to his feet, a huge tic going off on his forehead, Sapph pointed an angry finger at Haley and stormed “Stupid idiot! Don’t you ever, friggin’ do that again! You had me worried half to death! Is that what you wanted, hunh? To knock about ten years off my lifespan, you booger?!”

Brian had an even bigger sweat drop on the back of his head as he said nervously, “Easy, pardner… Miss Haley gave me a turn too… it was cuz we were looking for you that this happened…”

“Did I ask you to look for me?!” Sapph roared, his head seemingly magnified in his fury, more and more veins popping all over his face and fists.

Bubbles, who’d hidden behind Blitzkrieg who’d in turn hidden behind Mace, asked tremulously <Bwian? Is Hawey gonna die?>

Sapph answered in an acidily irritable voice before Brian could open his mouth. “Oh, no, Bubbles, I’m sure Hawey will be just… FINE!” he snarled, before turning away and continuing to huff.

“Don’t worry, Bubbles,” Brian reassured the Water Pokémon. “Haley’s only hungry. She’ll be fine,” he went on, pulling out a packed lunch and opening it.

Using the plastic cutlery available, he spooned a bit of the stew and proffered it to Haley, attempting to entice her to eat.

“C’mon, Miss Haley,” Brian coaxed her, waving the spoon in front of her face. “Open wiiiiiiide for the choo choo train…”

Sapph looked back at him and snorted humourlessly. “Man, where’s a camcorder when you need one?”

Brian closed his eyes and said softly, “Don’ push it, pardner.” Redirecting his attention to Haley, he went on, “C’mon, Miss Haley? Just a li’l bit of the yummy stew?”

“Forget it, Brian,” Haley said in a hollow, distant voice. “I doubt even an earthquake could shift me now…”

“I don’t doubt that,” Sapph said in an undertone.

“Sapph!” Brian said in a voice that sounded uncannily like Mrs. Kent telling off Kamren.

“Yes, Mom,” Sapph said in a smart-aleck tone of voice as he studied the ground at his feet. Noticing something odd, he added “And tell Haley to keep her stomach under control. It’s making the ground rumble!”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Sapph,” Brian said, doing his utmost to keep his voice level. “We both know she can’t do that.”

“Then why’s the floor shaking?”

Brian was finally short of patience. “The ground is not shaking, Sapph!” he said tersely.

<I can certainly detect seismic activity myself, Brian,> Ento said calmly.

“There! See? Even Ento agrees with… with… oh, crap… Brian! We’ve gotta move! NOW!” Sapph screamed for as the vibrations grew stronger, what was causing them came racing around the rocky bend and bore down on the group quickly.

A pack of what seemed like fairly large tapirs raced around the corner, rushing Sapph, Brian, Eaves, Haley and her Pokémon. Dirty reddish brown with a prominent snout, the creatures reached an easy five feet two, with white hooves and blood red eyes fixed on the group. What really made them terrifying was the shining pate of bone that stood in the center of their heads, and the fact that their spines stood out on their back as shining white bone all the way down to the tip of their short, pointy tails.

“Uh, oh! Now what?!” Sapph yelped, rushing to help Brian with Haley as he scanned the fast approaching threat with his Pokédex.

Rushir, the Bone Pokémon. Rushir runs at anything in their path, trampling all that stand in their way under their eight hundred and seventy-six pound bulk. Rushir are Ground type Pokémon, the Pokédex droned in its ever unhelpful tone.

“Oh-kaay, scared much, Sapph,” Brian grunted, returning Eaves to his pokéball and trying to lift Haley’s supine figure to its feet.

Bubbles and Blitzkrieg grabbed a hold of each other and screamed in terror.

“Bubbles! Blitzkrieg! Get it together! We’ve gotta run!” Sapph yelled, as he returned Ace to her pokéball and Brian lifted Haley to her feet, one arm around her waist and the other keeping her arm around his neck.

<RUN AWAY LIKE LITTLE GIRLS!> Anuvi yelled in panic, jumping into Crimson’s arms.

<I don’t do runnin’ away!> Mace said viciously, smirking at the attacking Pokémon. <One Self Destruct, coming up!> he called as his whole body expanded and contracted rhythmically, flashing red as it did so.

<No, Mace! Don’t do it!> Ento yelled frantically, but too late: with a voluminous blast, the Urkid blew himself up, not only disorienting and frightening off the Rushir, but blowing a hole in the ground on which Sapph, Brian (who, in the shock of the explosion had let go of Haley) and Haley formerly stood, creating a passage into the yawning shadows right under their feet.

<Oh, sh-> Zen said loudly as the group felt themselves starting to fall.

<You stupid, retarded, totally-addicted-to-killing-us-all smart bomb!> Anuvi screamed at the barely-conscious Urchin Pokémon, who looked giddy.

<Man... that felt goooood…> Mace said faintly, smiling a happily vacant smile as they all fell into the uncertain void, screaming their little lungs out.

Fortune seemed to be on Brian’s side most as the trio fell. Barely six seconds after Mace’s double-edged sword attack, the Dark Pokémon-loving trainer hit an outcropping of rock which slanted inwards towards the rock face, forcing him to roll away from the ledge and into a small cave where he came to an unceremonious stop. Shaking his head to clear the cobwebs, Brian looked at the cave mouth and frantically scrambled to its mouth, where he stared over the edge of the cliff, desperate for any sign that Sapph and Haley would be OK. A thud and a loud cuss told him that Sapph, at least, was alright. But when no further sound came, worrying seemed inevitable.

Now what? Brian thought in a frantically-controlled panic. Do I climb down to find Sapph and Haley, or try to find my way outta here? I don’t have any climbing gear so the former’s not a smart choice…

“No choice, ah reckon,” Brian thought heavily, turning back towards the cave mouth he’d fallen into earlier, peering into the gloom. “Guess ah’ll meet you at the bottom, Sapph. Hope this passage leads d-OWW! What in ‘tarnation?!” Brian gasped in pain, looking back at what he’d stubbed his toe on and seeing a strange yellow stone glowed a faint yet substantial light, making the stone look alive.

Picking up the stone, Brian studied it for a moment, thinking. Hey, could this be one of ‘em ol’ fossils ah heard abou’ back in school? Best hold onto this, he thought, pocketing the stone and feeling his way down the gradually downwards sloping passageway that was obscured by the shadows in the cave.

***​

Sapph, thinking fast as he fell, grabbed Zen’s pokéball off his belt and was able to pull him to safety. Noticing Haley was within reach, he stretched out his hand in an attempt to grab her hand, lest they be separated. Just as he was about to grab her wrist however, a flat ledge jutting out from the cliff wall rushed up to meet him all of a sudden, not only causing his tremendous pain in his right side (on which he had fallen) but also to miss Haley’s arm by a spare inch or two, leaving her to fall onwards.

Haley, no! Sapph screamed in his head, his eyes tearing up from the pain induced by his landing and his failure. Damn, damn, damn… “DAMN!” he screamed aloud.

Beating his fist on the cliff, he continued to cuss loudly, until a faint splashing sound reached his ears.

Water? Sapph thought, looking up through glazed eyes. Then she’s OK?

<Hey, Sapph!> a pair of voices hollered at him, snapping him from his reverie. Looking up, he saw Crimson fluttering down towards him, Anuvi in his arms.

“Anuvi, Crimson!” Sapph exclaimed joyously, despite being a little bewildered as to how they managed to avoid retrieval and worried about the fates of his friends. “How’d you…”

<I don’t think you retrieved us in the first place, Sapph,> Crimson stated matter-of-factly.

<Yeah… thanks a bunch, jerk,> Anuvi joshed his trainer.

“Sorry, guys,” Sapph apologized distractedly, peering over the cliff into the uncertain darkness, straining his ears for any sound; any sign that Haley was alive and well. Without looking at him, he asked Crimson “Did you see what happened to Brian?”

<Um, yes,> Crimson said uncertainly. <He stopped falling about half a minute before you did. Couldn’t see exactly where he went though, Sorry,> he added, his feelers drooping in disappointment.

So Brian’s safe too, Sapph though with relief, unconsciously clutching his sore side. “Crimson!” he said suddenly.

Startled by Sapph’s sudden summons, the Ledian stuttered his response. <Y-yes?>

“We have to find Haley,” Sapph said quickly. “Think you can carry me down the cliff to the bottom?”

<I- I guess so,> Crimson said doubtfully.

<Hey, Sapph! What are these things?> Anuvi said suddenly. Sapph spun to face his Leaf Squirrel Pokémon, who pointed to two tan coloured rocks which due to their discolouration stood out on the slag grey rock face.

“Hunh? No idea, Anuvi,” Sapph said uncertainly, taking a step towards the weird stones. One had what looked like a long, slender claw etched into it; the other had a dome which seemed split down the middle embossed on it.

“Hmmm, they seem to be fossils… I guess,” Sapph said uncertainly, taking a closer look. “I can’t tell which, though. All I remember from that lesson in class was that Tony and I received our five hundredth detention,” Sapph mused, causing Crimson and Anuvi to sweat drop.

As Sapph reached out to touch one of the fossils, a loud raspy voice yelled <Get away from them fossils, you young whippersnapper!>

Sapph looked around himself in bewilderment, trying to pinpoint the source of the noise. Suddenly, Sapph saw a shadow beneath him grow rapidly, and looking up, saw what looked like a human buttock falling right for him.

“AAAAAARGHH!” Sapph screamed, diving out of the way just in time as what looked like a man fell heavily on the spot where Sapph had stood a mere second before, butt-first.

<Whoa!> Crimson yelled in surprise.

<What an entrance!> Anuvi thought, chuckling to himself, picking himself up and sizing up their newest threat, which apart from having two huge boulders for shoulders and a side of his moss green face covered with what seemed to be a thin casing of rock, looked entirely like an old man, only much older. <The butt-dropping-on-your-head-of-death’! Cool…>

<Hey, Sapph! We’ve got company!> Anuvi said cheerfully.

“Yeah, I know,” Sapph said, still a little rattled by the weird thing’s entry.

<What is it, Sapph?> Crimson asked.

Sapph replied by mutely taking out his Pokédex and flipping it open to scan the strange ‘old man’.

Geome, the Rock Man Pokémon, the Pokédex supplied. Known for their longevity, Geome can live for up to four centuries before dying. Geome is a pure Rock Pokémon.

<So!> Crimson said nervously, smiling a strained smile. <It’s a Pokémon. Wow.>

<What’s with that lifeless response?!> Anuvi snarled, a vein popping on his head. <Show a little vigour, already! Latios, what a dope…>

<What? Hey, I wasn’t the one Bubbles caught trying to drink out of the toilet two days ago!> Crimson retorted.

Anuvi looked hurt. <That was low. Coward.> He muttered distastefully. <An’ I wasn’t drinking from it, I was helping Bubbles learn Water Gun.>

Sapph had pinpricks for eyes as he watched this discussion unfold. “OK, that’s enough sordid revelation for one minute,” he muttered, pulling a pokéball off his belt and returning Crimson. Looking at the Geome, he saw its thinly-muscled body tense as a light grey aura surrounded it as it looked into his eyes.

Sapph instantly got the message. “Anuvi…” he said softly, watching the power flow through this new opposition which in turn made its white hair and full beard seemingly ripple before his eyes, although there was no air current.

So did Anuvi. All he said as his tail glowed green and a vibrant green aura surrounded him, causing his fur to ruffle as well was <Let’s rock.>

***​

Haley fell further than any of the others. True, an earthquake couldn’t have shaken her from her hunger-induced stupor, but even a close-range explosion can have the effect of violently snapping you to your senses, especially if it causes you to fall into a cold, damp natural shaft of sorts with three screaming Pokémon and one high-on-happy (albeit unconscious) one screaming their lungs out all around you.

As Sapph had done, Haley reached for her pokéballs and was able to successfully return Mace, Ento and Blitzkrieg to their right pokéballs, then noticing she couldn’t see Bubbles before she hit the water back first. Going into shock, she faintly heard a loud splash nearby before blacking out.

With no sign of life beneath the choppy waves, it looked like Haley had drowned. Suddenly a white, shifting light illuminated the water and Haley’s head burst out of the water, together with a pair of long, light blue and black-tipped ears, a gem-like bubble resting between them and a long thin tail rippling in her wake as she made her way to shore.

After being laid gently on the bank of the underground river, Haley choked and blearily opened her silver eyes and stared right into two large, coffee brown ones.

<Hey, like… you OK, Haley?> a voice that many would associate to a girl in her early teens inquired softly as a pair of furry arms helped Haley into a sitting position.

“Yes, yes, I’m fine, Bubbles,” Haley said without much thought, reaching for her soggy hair and expecting to find her hat there.

<Oh, like- here, Haley,> the Water Hare said again, handing her wide-brimmed hat to her trainer.

Looking over at her Pokémon as she reached for her hat, she took a good look at Bubbles and gasped.

“Bubbles!” Haley said, astonished.

<Like… what wrong, Haley?> Bubbles replied in surprise.

“You… evolved,” Haley whispered in a hushed voice, taking in her starter Pokémon’s new appearance. Bubbles now stood two foot, four inches tall and had significantly lengthened in proportion as compared to her formerly, slightly portly evolutionary cousin. Her long thing tail ended in a tear-drop shaped bubble that looked just like the blue, circular jewel that rested in between her eyes and ears.

<I did?> Bubbles said, looking herself over in surprise. Then bouncing on the balls of her white feet, Bubbles whooped <Alright! How do I look, Haley?>

“Just fine,” Haley smiled, although still a little shocked at the turn of events. “Looks like your pronunciation problem is gone too…”

<What pronunciation problem?> Bubbles said with an air of deep thought.

“Never mind,” Haley said quickly, her numb surprise turning to joy. “When did it happen?”

<Recently, obviously,> Bubbles said in a slightly affected voice, thinking back to when she’d hit the water minutes earlier…

-Flashback-

Bubbles had spent most of the trip down screaming hard. When she noticed the river beneath her, she inexplicably calmed down right away. Straightening her body, she hit the water with the grace of an expert high board diver a second after Haley’s ungraceful landing. Noticing Haley’s form going limp, she used the force of her dive to shoot towards Haley, grabbing her shirt and trying to pull her trainer up towards the surface before she drowned.

Bubbles tugged with all her might, but to no avail: in her youthful form, she lacked the physical strength to pull a human, let alone through water. Thinking desperately, she closed her eyes briefly as she adopted a look of pained concentration as her bubble tail glowed a brilliant white. Opening her eyes again, she began to glow…

-End Flashback-

Haley smiled in amazement as Bubbles recounted the tale of her evolution.

<Then I was like, y’know, all ‘Are you OK, Haley?’ and you were like ‘Yeah. Seen my hat?’ Then I was all, ’Here you go, Haley’, then you went, ‘Whoa, Bubbles! You’ve evolved into a totally awesome Aquala!’ then I was all ‘Duh, yeah!’ cause Aquala totally rock, and you were all, ‘When?’ and… and then… man, do I have to say it all over again?> Bubbles said in a rapid, annoying voice that would drive some trainers up the wall.

“Uh, no, Bubbles, you…” Haley began, her voice drowned out by a huge explosion of rock, fire and dust that occurred right above the rock against which she rested.

Her head whipped around and Bubbles cocked her head around her trainer to see what the commotion was.

Out of the cloud of smoke leapt a creature of immense beauty. Haley’s eyes widened as she gazed, enraptured at the scene of breath-taking beauty before her, its golden yellow fur, lean and athletic form and nine long, flowing tails flapping in the moist draught the hole had made. Something small and vermillion seemed to rest in her mouth as she hung in midair, her red eyes locked behind her as though expecting something Haley and Bubbles couldn’t quite see. Haley continued to gaze at the Fire Fox Pokémon as it sailed through the air. True, Haley was a Water Pokémon fanatic, but a Ninetails wasn’t something you saw everyday. It was practically the only Fire type she adored, seeing as her mother had one herself at home in Oldville Town.

Suddenly out of the smoke, three larger-than-usual, hulking Mightyena leapt out of the rubble after the Fire type, spheres of dark purple, spectral energy forming in their mouths as their pitiless eyes locked on the Ninetails’ widening ones. As the Bite Pokémon released a small barrage of Shadow Balls right at her, the Ninetails tried her best to protect herself and her bundle by enveloping herself and the small brown bundle in a ball of fire, which succeeded in stopping the attack damaging the young Vulpix in her mouth, but leaving herself open to a round of violent bodily tackles from the unrelenting Dark type Pokémon which smashed her into the rocky river bank back first.

Haley’s eyes widened in horror as she watched the Mightyena hop from cliff to rock to the ground, where they slowly approached the badly beaten Ninetails and her shivering child.

Choking on a clot of blood that had formed in her mouth, she gently laid her burden and looked down at her child, whispering words to it. Bubbles started to tear as she watched.

Realising that Bubbles could hear what was being said, even from that distance, she whispered, “What’s going on, Bubbles? What’s the Ninetails saying?”

<’Pixy, run for it,’> Bubbles said in a quaking voice. <’I’ll hold them off, now go!’ The child doesn’t want to run either!>

Haley’s eyes widened as she said “She’s mad! She can’t fight them off alone! We’ve gotta help!”

It seemed the Ninetails heard her. Her eyes finally finding Haley and Bubbles hidden behind their rock, she gave Haley a look that plainly said, ‘Stay there and don’t do anything stupid.’ Haley gulped, the Ninetails must have known something she didn’t.

Reaching down, she whispered four words that seemed to stop time for all who could hear her.

<I love you, Pixy.>

She then picked up her cub roughly by the nape of the neck and with a jerk of her head, tossed her high in the air towards Haley and Bubbles, the former catching the Vulpix whilst barely staying concealed. Haley looked up aghast to meet the Ninetails’ eyes in which seemed to rest her final wish as the Mightyena behind her opened their mouths again, Shadow Balls formed and ready to fly once more.

<Take care of my baby.>

Haley couldn’t bear to watch what happened next. Holding the Vulpix cub to her chest she buried her face into her Pokémon’s chest, who held them both tight to her, unable to avert her eyes from the brutal massacre that followed, the mother’s screams echoing in her head, her heart and deep within the recesses of her soul.

Just when Bubbles couldn’t take any more, it ended. The Ninetails’ bloody form lay limply at the Mightyena’s feet, its eyes oddly out of focus, as their trainers, who were all clad in black with large, silver S’s woven onto the left side of their black jumpers and wore dark glasses even in the gloom of the cave appeared, followed by a large and stately-looking woman, who despite her cold, haughty looks, bore the looks of a creature of otherworldly beauty. Her straight and lustrous purple hair framed her pale, heart-shaped face and sharp purple eyes, which looked down at the pitiful creature that had once borne a countenance so majestic it would put the costliest of gems to shame.

“Your orders, Captain Cleopatra?” One of the Shadow grunts said emotionlessly.

The woman addressed as Cleopatra stared dispassionately at the Ninetails and said, without remorse, “Kill it. I’ve no need for a creature more beautiful than I to exist in my presence. And hurry… I can’t stand this ugly place. Why I let Atlas drag me here is totally beyond me…”

The words left Bubbles’ blood cold as she watched the woman turn away and her subordinates snapped their fingers and the Mightyena closed in on it to finish their dirty work.

Looking down, Bubbles was startled to notice the Vulpix watching her mother’s death with wide eyes, tears silently streaming down her cheeks in an almost torrential flow that she couldn’t stem.

Shifting her arm slightly so that it blocked its view, she swore as she watched the trainers kick the dead Ninetails’ body into the river, where it bobbed for a minute before sinking that the next time she met any of them, there would be a reckoning.

***​

<You’re not bad, ol’ man,> Anuvi said, panting slightly as he flipped away from a large boulder that the Geome had sent flying at him.

His fist still clenched and outstretched, the Geome said in a wheezy voice, <You too, young one. You battle like my grandson’s great-grandson. Never much of an attacker, but skilled at dodging and running away.>

“OK, Anuvi! Finish ‘em with another Leaf Blade!” Sapph said, readying yet another pokéball as the Geome had broken out twice before to resume combat.

<Alright, dodge this!> Anuvi whooped as he sprang into the air from his left forepaw, swinging his tail up and over in a graceful midair twist at the Geome and releasing an arc of energy that raced towards the Geome. Stepping to one side as he placed his hands behind his back, the Rock Man merely leaned back and watched the Grass attack slice past him, nearly clipping his beard as it passed.

<As you wish, I believe I did as you… oh, no!> the Geome cried, noticing that the Mongle’s Leaf Blade attack had struck a vein in the rock wall, releasing a high pressure blast of water rushed out, striking it and causing it much discomfort.

Sapph knew his cue. Tossing the ball and hoping that this was all she wrote, he yelled “Pokéball, go!”

The pokéball struck Geome and sucked him in and hit the moist ground, the red light flashing furiously as the Geome fought to free itself. However, it seemed the Geome had had enough, giving in to his new trainer.

Sapph jogged over to the fallen pokéball and, wiping the traces of muck that had covered it, raised it above his head in triumph, exclaiming, “All right! I got me a Geome!”

<Sapph, don’t ever, ever do that again,> Anuvi said in a jokingly weary voice.

Looking at Anuvi, he muttered “Do what again?”

<The whole ‘I’ve got a blah, blah, blah’ thing,> Anuvi said, grinning. <It’s too lame for me to handle!>

“Hey!” Sapph said indignantly.

<Well, it is,> Anuvi said fairly.

“Anyways, this guy needs a name!” Sapph said shortly, ignoring his Pokémon as he studied the pokéball holding.

<How about ‘Grandpa’?> Anuvi asked dully. <He certainly talked like one…>

“Hey, great idea, Anuvi! Grandpa it is!” Sapph said cheerfully.

<I was joking, moron,> Anuvi said helplessly.

“Well, aren’t you skilled,” a new voice said, catching Sapph’s attention. Looking up he saw a bunch of goons dressed in a uniform he’d seen somewhere before, although where, he wasn’t sure yet.

<Team Shadow!> Anuvi spat, his eyes narrowing.

Then Sapph remembered: they wore the same outfits as Andre and Kayla had on the ferry ride to Nightspark City. Clenching his fists, he prepared himself for a fight.

“Fufufu… don’t make such a scary face,” the voice said again, its owner stepping into Sapph’s range of vision. “I was complementing you, you know.”

Sapph sized the man up. He came in at five foot ten and a hundred and thirty pounds roughly. He looked nothing like a battler, in his pea green hunting cape (which had a large silver S embroidered onto the left chest) and expensive looking tweed suit and shoes. To complete the Sherlock Holmes look, he wore a hunting cap which matched his hunting cape perfectly, a monocle and a large, curved pipe which he removed from his mouth before speaking again.

“I’ve been looking for that Pokémon,” he went on, pointing with the hand that now held his pipe at the pokéball in which Sapph had captured Geome.

“Sorry, buddy,” Sapph said dryly, vaguely remembering the Pokémon ‘salesman’ he’d had the misfortune of meeting back in EverWood Forest. “I don’t sell my Pokémon, least of all to national crooks…”

“Silly boy,” the man went on in his genial voice. “Who said anything about ‘buying’ it? Pokémon who hold the spirits of nature themselves, especially Geocles,” the man went on, giving Geome’s pokéball a look of fervent admiration. “To me are priceless, my boy. Priceless.”

What was that word he used? Geocles? What’s all this got to do with Grandpa? Sapph thought frantically, his eyes darting about for a means of escape.

“My name is Atlas,” the man went on. “And I’ll be taking that Geome. Now.”

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Chapteur quinze, parte deux...

***​

I’m no closer to thuh exit than I was before, Brian thought despondently, half an hour later and miles deeper than he was before. Ah just hope y’all are OK… Sapph, Haley…

A dull, stupid voice rang out ahead of him, causing Brian to start.

“Hah, hah! Look, Calvin, I caught a Ledyba!”

A question mark popped above Brian’s head as he made his way cautiously towards the bend and peered around the corner at a couple of boys who looked unfamiliar to him. The bigger one looked like he was his age although not as smart as one so old should be. The other was short, blond and bespectacled with an air of advanced intelligence and (presently), exasperation.

“That’s not a Ledyba, Dex,” Calvin said heavily, his green eyes tired. “It’s an Aron.”

“Nuh uh!” Dex said loudly. “It’s a Ledyba!”

“Dex,” the boy called Calvin said in a long suffering voice. “I told you: Ledyba are red with black spots, have feelers and six legs,” he said. Pointing at the Aron, he said “the things on its back aren’t even spots! They’re holes!”

“Not they aren’t. You’re just jealous,” Dex said adamantly.

“Look at it, Dex. How many legs has that thing got?”

“Duh, Calvin… it has… lessee, one… two… three… seven… six! Hah! Six legs!” he said with a huge, toothy grin on his face, holding the Aron up with one hand.

The Aron threw an askance look at his new trainer. Then peering down, he looked at the newly evolved Kadabra Calvin had used to capture him and said in a low voice <I loathe you.>

Kadabra merely shrugged an ‘I really couldn’t care less’ shrug back.

“Then why is it silver-coloured, Dex?” Calvin tried one more time to drive some sense into Dex’s head. “Ledyba are either red or yellow. Explain that to me!”

“Easy. My Ledyba is a mutant species from the planet Zarzagoff. Booyah! I win!” Dex bellowed triumphantly.

Calvin slapped his face and dragging his hand across it said “The first thing I’m gonna do when we get outta here is destroy your comic book collection.”

They seem OK, Brian thought. The big guy needs a little help, but hey…

With that, he stepped out from his hiding place. “Wassup, pardners? Ma name’s Brian, an’ I’s jus’ wondering how to get outta here…”

“Finally, a sentient life form,” Calvin said to his Pokémon, who nodded back. To Brian, he said, “Aren’t we all. The name’s Calvin. This is my Kadabra, Keno, and that dope over there is Dex. We got separated from my sister and her boyfriend on the way to Dinocanyon City. We told them we’d meet them there. Then Dex saw the Aron and wanted to catch it...”

“Fetch the rock, Ledyba!” Dex called out, tossing the rock towards the wall.

Calvin and Brian sweat dropped in unison.

“So, what about you?” Calvin said calmly. “Why are you on your way to Dinocanyon?”

“I’m travelling with these two fellers ah met in Nightspark,” Brian said lightly.

“Look, guys! Ledyba knows his trainer! Where’s your trainer, Ledyba? Where is he?” Dex cooed, covering his eyes.

Aron, seriously wishing for death now, looked at Keno and said <You got me into this mess, you dumb*** Kadabra! Let him know I’m an Aron called Tank, or, so help me, I’ll eat that spoon!>

Keno, sweat dropping, turned to Dex and twirled his spoon, making it glow light blue and causing Dex to get a funny look on his face.

“Yesss… yesss, Tank, I will obey…” Dex droned very much like a zombie.

Calvin and Brian looked up from their map to stare at Dex as he then mumbled “You like to chase rocks? OK, here you goooo.”

Aron sweat dropped as Dex picked up a large stone and threw it at the wall as he’d done earlier. Keno smirked as he stood back to admire his handiwork. His smile however was wiped off his face as Calvin glared at him and returned him to his pokéball.

Calvin and Brian were about to resume their discussion when an ominous cracking sound rent the air. Turning to the Aron, who quickly said <Hey! That wasn’t me!>, they stared at the wall that Dex had thrown the stone towards and saw deep gouges in the rock from which what seemed to be water hissed from the cracks within the rocks.

“Oh…” Calvin said, his eyes widening as he watched the wall start to give way.

“… crap!” Brian screamed as the wall broke down, releasing a GIGANTIC wave of subterranean water which swept them all away and down the passageway.

“DEX, YOU DOOFUS!” Calvin yelled as they were buffeted amongst the broiling waters.

Dex, who’d snapped out of the stupor Keno had put on him, turned to Tank, whom he’d grabbed as the water had thrown them on their crazy water ride, and said in a scolding voice, “Bad boy.”

***​

Sapph, in the meantime, was in serious trouble.

Even with the combined strength of Ace, Zen and Crimson (which was fast draining), the battle between Sapph’s Pokémon and the three or so platoons of Team Shadow operatives under Atlas proved too much to handle.

“What’s wrong, boy? Can’t you respect your elders enough to do as you’re told?” Atlas said, slightly weary of the speed at which the proceedings were going on.

<Sapph, I think I’m at my limit,> Crimson gasped, his arms shaking as he fell forward onto one knee.

<Hate to say it, but so am I,> Zen growled, panting as he held his right upper arm with his robotic left.

“Not when I’m asked something impossibly stupid!” Sapph retorted. In an undertone he added, “Hang in there guys. I’ll think of something…”

<Sapph,> Ace said softly. <I don’t think I can go on…> before falling out of the air in exhaustion.

Sapph, moving fast, caught his Swoop Pokémon before she hit the ground and returned her to the safety of her pokéball, and whilst on one knee, glared at the arrogant captain.

“See? If you carry on, all your Pokémon will die. And we wouldn’t want that, now, would we?” Atlas said in a tone of mock sorrow.

Sapph, still glaring in hatred at the Team Shadow captain and swore at him. Suddenly, (he’d felt it rather than heard it) a loud rumbling as though of fast moving water heading towards him began to shift some of the loose sand at his feet. His eyes widened as he placed his hand on the rock face behind him as he rose to his feet and felt the water coming up behind them.

“I’ll ask nicely one last time, as I’m so happy to have found Geocles,” Atlas said in a tone that suggested impatience. “Give me the Geome. NOW!

“You’ll have to come and get it,” Sapph said in a low, defiant voice as he rose to his feet. Whatever Geocles is, he added to himself.

To his Pokémon, he said “Zen, I know you’ve done a lot today, but I need you to Pulse Bomb the wall behind me. Crimson, help Zen along with your Supersonic attack.”

<Hunh? Kid, the enemy’s that way,> Zen said, jerking his metallic thumb behind him at the scores of Zubat, Mightyena and the occasional Skink that they still had to defeat.

The Ledian, however, jerked his head to one side as a sign for Sapph to move aside. The Johto-born trainer did so and without asking any questions, Crimson opened his mouth and fired off a high-pitched screech at the rock face, causing it to develop deep scars. Too tired to continue, the Five Star Pokémon dropped to his knees in exhaustion, passing out.

Sapph returned his faithful Pokémon to his pokéball, and feeling the vibrations were getting stronger, turned to Zen and said “Hurry, Zen!” as Atlas saw what was happening and ordered his subordinates harshly, “He’s trying to escape, fools! Stop him, quickly!”

“Zen!” Sapph yelled with a pleading look in his eyes.

Zen looked back without emotion and said <Sorry, Sapph. I can’t fire any more Pulse Bombs. I’m out for the day.>

Two of the Mightyena leapt for his back, claws and fangs bared. Zen saw them and ducked slightly, the Bite Pokémon’s furry underbellies brushing his right shoulder as they sailed overhead. Halfway over, the Mightyena felt immeasurable pain as Zen rose quickly, slamming his shoulders into their gut regions, causing them to spin in midair.

Turning to face the wall, Zen smiled and said wickedly, <I can, however, still do… this!> he cried out, springing off the ground on his left foot. In a graceful, circular motion, Zen swung his right heel into the jawbone of one Mightyena, sending it into the wall with bone-shattering force. Sapph almost thought he’d heard the poor canine Pokémon’s jaw crack. The other one followed soon after, complimentary of Zen’s left foot which from the turning force of Zen’s right foot swung speedily into its lower abdominal region, sending it soaring into the wall back first, nearly tripling the degree of cracking in the wall but not quite finishing the job.

A second after Zen landed (a little untidily), a couple of needle-like fangs found his shoulder and Zen winced. He felt himself weaken as something sucked on his shoulder. Looking back he saw a sightless, purple bat with huge ears glowing a sickly green as it drew its prey’s energy away.

Zen shrugged it off quickly, but it was too late; the Leech Life technique was in effect and looked like it would end Sapph’s resistance.

<D-damn it,> Zen said through gritted teeth, feeling the last of his strength leave him as he fell forward in a faint. Sapph caught him around the shoulders and recalled him with a smile, saying “Thanks, Zen. You guys did your best. Take a rest.”

“Oh, my. Now look what you’ve done,” Atlas said in a taunting tone. Sapph remained silent as he felt water trickle over his hand that rested against the rock wall that was now heavily cracked.

“You now have nowhere to run and no Pokémon to protect you. What do you intend to do to stop me now?” Atlas said with a cold, high-pitched laugh.

“Like this,” Sapph said with a wicked smile playing across his lips. He raised his fist and slammed it on the rock wall behind him, causing water to come gushing out in an ENORMOUS volume, sweeping Sapph up and bearing down on the wide-eyed Shadow operatives.

“Oh, da-,” Atlas groaned, trying and failing to run before becoming engulfed in the tidal wave that rushed out towards the exit.

“What kept you, Brian?” Sapph hollered with a laugh.

“Oh, ya know, one or two things,” Brian laughed back as they, Calvin and Dex were sped on their way to the exit of the Relic Pass to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Haley, after walking down the tunnel for about twenty minutes, finally made it to the end of the tunnel, stood at the top of the cliff admiring the architecture of the township that lay before her: Dinocanyon City.

“Well, we’re here,” Haley said sadly to her new Aquala and Vulpix, whom she had cradled in her arms fast asleep. The events in the cave had left them in a somber mood. Recalling them into their pokéballs, she turned and walked down the slope towards the town, thinking that Sapph and Brian would be in the Pokémon Centre, most probably celebrating Sapph’s third gym victory.

As she walked, she thought of the boxed lunches that were still in Brian’s bag and her stomach gave an almighty rumble.

Those two had better not have eaten without me, Haley fumed, not noticing the ground beneath her starting to shake. A few steps later, Haley felt the ground shake beneath her and a TREMENDOUS geyser of water shoot her up into the air.

Screaming, she yelled “What the hell? SAPPH? BRIAN?! Where’s my lunch?”

Their tired faces lit up with pleasure as they saw her.

“Haley!” Brian said joyfully.

“You’re OK!” Sapph said ecstatically. “We were so worried!”

“OK, I’m glad to see you, you’re happy to see me…,” Haley said humourously. “Now, could we please GET DOWN OFF THIS THING!”

As the water receded in the Relic Pass, Atlas gasped for breath as his subordinates rose to their feet shaking their heads and clearing the water from their ears and snarled, “That whelp! I was so close! Geocles was practically on my fingertips! When I get a hold of him, I’ll…”

“Looks like you’ve got some anger issues, my dear” the vapidly bored voice of Cleopatra said behind him. “You OK?”

“Cleo, my lovely,” Atlas said, standing up as he swept a hand through his sopping wet hair. “How’re you feeling?”

“Awful,” she said with a highly exaggerated shudder. “Why you brought me here, I’ll never know…”

“I’m sorry, my dear,” Atlas said in a strained voice. “I was waylaid. We’ll be leaving just as soon as we can- what is it?” he added with a snap at one of his thugs, who’d scurried up to him, holding a couple of items precariously in his arms.

“Sir,” the grunt said in a colourless voice, handing the items over. He then added “We’ll be ready to depart in ten minutes, sir. Shall we move on to the rendevouz point?”

Atlas stared at the two items in his hands, a strange expression on his face. Without looking at the grunt, he said in a dreamy voice, “Yes, yes... you go on.”

He then threw back his head and let out a raucous scream of mirth.

“Dear?” Cleopatra said uncertainly. “J-Julius?”

“I’m sorry, my dear,” Julius Atlas said, wiping a tear of laughter from his eye. “I suppose the consolation to losing my charge has considerably uplifted my spirits.”

With a cruel, satisfied smile, he looked down at the two rocks in his hands; one bearing a claw-like pictogram embellished on it, a raised dome embossed upon the flat side of the other.

***​

Next chapter: Sapph and Co. prepare to face the Dinocanyon Gym Leader the next day, to which they will find some league rule modification which may spell the end of Sapph’s Corei League Campaign. This should be the least of Sapph’s troubles as the Team Shadow captains, riled at Sapph and Haley, plan their first major take over of Corei! Chapter Sixteen: ‘The Phony Leader’, coming soon to SPPf!

***​

Well, that’s that for now… have fun readin’ it!

Finally, we bring you back to your regularly scheduled outro… the Corei-Dex!

Name: Geome

Corei-Dex Number: 147

Species: Rock Man

Pronunciation: gee-OH-me

Element: Rock

Height: 3’07”

Weight: 294 lbs

Name Derivation: GEO (from earth) + ME (men)

Evolution line: Geome do not evolve.

Author's/Artist's Note: Geome was a problem sketching for me. Trying to get a pure rock wasn’t easy, especially when you plan it being lumpy…

In Fic: [SPOIL]Grandpa is Sapph’s sixth Pokémon. After his battle against Clyff, Sapph will leave him behind with his son, Slate, with whom Sapph will find out he has quite a lot in common with…[/SPOIL]

That's all folks! Peace!

L@er!

Last edited:

MerlockVonBaron

Nice fic. I did use haley first in my fic. I gave you some credit though. I hope youget the next one up soon.

Felix Feral Fezirix

Densetsu no Pikachu!
LOL Blitzkreig turned out to be something brainless. XD

Geome seems like it's going to cause some massive ripples. Perhaps he holds knowledge that can give the power of the world...?

Haley got a Vulpix! Though the Ninetales died...X_X

Bubbles enters adolescence. Finally we can read 100% perfect speech. ^_^

You haven't told us what's in the (lunch) box, SM. Rawr.

Quite an interesting chapter, it was. I should go study now...X_X

Pika out.

EonMaster One

saeculum harmonia
*points to self* I...won? Okay...w00t! *gobbles up all incoming waffles*

*ends up on the ground with an exaggerated belly* Whew. That's good.

Hey, this was a pretty good chapter. I was a bit confused, though. Seems like Haley just seemed to get a whole lot of other Pokemon from out of nowhere. I like how Bubbles evolved, though, and I love her new personality.

Good luck with those exams. Hopefully they don't suck too badly for you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to take a nap after all those waffles.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz....

- ;196; EM1, out.

Araleon

Chill
Hey, it is I, Araleon!!!(cue dark music) Ahhh!!
Anywho, I love Bubbles' character!!!!!!
So, Anuvi huh. Me likey...
So, when is Brian going to catch another Pokemon?

Alright, I guess I'm through.

Araleon gone!

P.S. I dunno if I posted on this fanfiction before, but I'm new. A n00b. Bye!

DarkPersian479

Holy... that scene with the Ninetales mom dying and protecting its baby was intense.

Sapph, you moron, he didn't mean actually nickname Geome "Grandpa!" That's almost as LOLable as some of the nicknames I come up with (most relating to math)

Bubbles evolved! While I will miss her cute mispronunciations, it will be interesting to see how she does in her evolved form.

Another LOL moment was that guy Dex... how in the heck do you confuse an Aron for a Ledyba? Talk about "out there..."

But Team Shadow sounds like they're up to no good and deadly serious about it... like another team I know...

Anyway, great chapter, had to pull myself away from studying for finals to read it but well worth it.

One final left! W00t!

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Appreciation and news update...

Yo, minna-san! Genki ne? Thought i'd reply to your questions now and release a bit of news:

Merlock- The next chappie will be out hopefully by the eighteenth of this month. My exams are top priority now and i gotta get my average up. It may be a double, so let's keep the ol' fingers crossed!

Felix- Don't worry about the lunch boxes, buddy... Haley will soon forget. (Next Chapterage will explain) Blitzkrieg isn't a moron either, just has the simplicity of a child. Vulpix will be Haley's only non-Water Pokemon, based to counter weakness to grass. Only time will tell how Pixy will adapt to a team full of pokemon of his bane element...

EM1- If you recall, Haley did a bit of fishing in Nightspark Bay. That's where they (Blitz, Ento and Mace) came from.

Araleon- yo! Welcome to my fic! Hope you enjoy yourself!

DarkPersian- I'm glad i was able to pull it off with the Ninetales and team Shadow scenes. this fic needed out-of battle intensity in my opinion. Seriously. As far as grandpa is concerned, Sapph isn't a regularly working 60-watt light bulb in most spheres of life, a hopeless prankster and a lover of simplicity. Remeber that.

Reasons why Dex thought Tank (his Aron) is a Ledyba:

1. He's an idiot. Plain as Day.
2. Aron's eyes are really big and the holes on his back do look like spots.
3. He's an idiot. Plain as Day.
4. He really wants one, ever since he saw Sapph's in action.
5. Have I mentioned Dex's an idiot? No? OK... he's an idiot. Plain as Day.

Whilst Bubbles has a short attention span, she won't forget how much Sapph hates people mispronouncing his name, creating an avenue for much biting between them, although good-natured as far as Bubbles is concerned.

Now, to the news:

1. In light of the new DP attack names, Zen's Pulse Bomb is now dubbed Aura Sphere.

2. New Chapterage projected for 18/05/2007... maybe a couple of days earlier, maybe a few later. I may start in school, but most of the work will be done at home. Inconveniences caused are regretted...

OK, gotta run. Exam #5 is the day after tomorrow, and it's promising to be a doozie. No pressure, between the four of us (God the Father, Son, Holy Spirit and I) there's nothing he can do to faze me!

BIG EDIT: Hey yo! This edit is just to announce that i'm home for a three month vac (more writing time) and that i've started a thread in the Fan Art Section, to link you to pictures of my fakemon. Cheers!

Link to thread Below:

Fakemon Thread

L@er!

Last edited:

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Chapter Sixteen...finally!

Firstly, i sincerely apologize for leaving this so long unposted. it was ready yesterday, but the forums were not.

So on with the show, Chapter sixteen coming at you!

Chapter Sixteen: The Phony Leader​

“See y’all later, then,” Brian said cheerfully, waving off Calvin and Dex, who’d taken their leave of Sapph’s group upon reaching the Dinocanyon City limits.

Sapph, as he was determined to battle the next gym leader and claim his third badge before Kamren and Haley, due to the fact that she just wanted to sink her teeth into the nearest Cheesy Chicken Burger she could get her hands on, didn’t say anything.

“What’s up with y’all?” Brian asked tentatively as the trio walked up the bustling ‘main street’, which actually constituted of a roomy underground passage that was seemingly hewn from the earth by giant Onix (or moderately-sized Steelix). Doorways, carved out from the sides of the tunnel were spaced out evenly on either side, separated by two or three large square holes which were glazed with glass and looked like windows. Light from powerful fluorescent tubes shining out from the store windows they passed by together with those which hung from the roof of the tunnel illuminated their path, as they searched for the Pokémon Centre.

“Can’t talk… must find food…” Haley droned in a scratchy tone of voice.

Brian sweat dropped. “What d’y’all, think, Sapph?” he said, turning his attention to the Johton boy who strolled along the street on Haley’s other side. Gesturing towards the simple to elaborately designed yet snug blankets on display outside one of the stores’ windows, he said, “Corei’s got quite a fair few different cultures, eh? Never thought I’d see an underground city…”

Sapph, dodging around an ice cream cart that had parked a little off the middle of the road and the boisterously squealing children that surrounded it waiting for their turn to purchase some frozen milky goodness said in an absentminded mumble “Hmmm… You see anything that looks like the gym, Brian?”

Brian sweat dropped again.

***​

“So,” Sapph asked the local Nurse Joy as he received his Pokémon back after an hour. “Dinocanyon was created by dinosaurs?”

“So the story goes,” the local matron said thoughtfully, after announcing that Sapph, Haley and Brian’s Pokémon were ‘all back to fighting fitness’. “The dinosaurs were raised by the first gym leader of the city, who created the two tiers of this city: the upper tier where the people live and the lower tier which is where the buildings of commercial and administrative importance are hosted.”

“So the gym’s down in the lower tier?” Sapph asked.

“That’s right,“ the nurse agreed.

Sapph lapsed into thoughtful silence as he mulled this information over. “Hmm, I see… Dinosaur Pokémon…”

Meanwhile, at a booth sat his two companions, one preparing Pokémon food for their teammates, the other stuffing a mountain of what looked like chicken sausages in bread rolls with molten cheese and vegetable dressing into her mouth with wanton viciousness.

“Miss Haley,” Brian said, his eyes enormous, “where the cotton-pickin’ heck do you keep those things?”

“Doesn’t matter,” Haley said thickly through a bite of sausage. “All I care about is getting this stuff in!”

“Here, Brian,” Sapph said, joining them at the booth and returning a solitary pokéball to the sweat dropping Kazutan. He went on and said, “I’d give Haley her Pokémon back too but she might eat them, judging by the rate she’s going…”

“Shut up. Go away. Leave me alone,” Haley mumbled, barely coherent behind a huge swig of fizzy Bluk berry juice.

The boys laughed and released their Pokémon to some well deserved refreshment. Talk broke out amongst the dozen Pokémon as they congregated onto the food.

<Hey, y’all,> Eaves greeted the others cheerfully.

<Hey, Eaves,> Anuvi and Crimson greeted back with equal gusto, grabbing a dish each and tucking in.

Blitzkrieg sat with Grandpa as he began to narrate the story of when he’d first snowboarded some eighty five years ago. Zen was sitting a short distance and whilst pretending not to care what the Geome said was paying rapt attention all the same.

<Hey, Eaves,> Mace said as he scuttled over to another dish with Ento behind him. Looking over at Pixy, who’d seemed to want to stay hidden behind Bubbles, he asked <New team mate of yours, Eaves. Pretty cute… for a Fire type,> he hissed a little vehemently.

<Actually, Mace,> Bubbles said, a note of hardness in her voice at the Urchin Pokémon’s tone. <Pixy’s, like, your team mate.>

<Say WHAT?!> Mace said skeptically.

<Are you quite sure of your intelligence of the situation, Bubbles?> Ento queried, rather shocked himself that his trainer would go to the trouble of catching a non-Water type. Silver hovered nearby, watching the scene warily.

<Very,> Bubbles said, still frowning at Mace. <And while we’re on the subject…> she went on, only to be cut across by Mace who directed his next question at the Fire Fox Pokémon.

<So, what’s your story, hunh, Foxy? Played up the sympathy side on Haley? Well, let me tell you…>

<No, Mace. Let me tell you,> Bubbles said coldly. Ento, Anuvi and Crimson flinched; they’d never heard Bubbles talk like that. Mace was likewise stunned into silence.

<Pixy’s your team mate and her story doesn’t need to be discussed unless she wants to talk about it! You respect her as a member of your team, ‘cause if I, like hear you disrespecting her, you’ll be wearing your spines inside out! You hear me, Mace?> she spat with a touch of venom that would make an Arbok’s blood run cold.

<Yes, ma’am,> Mace said feebly, sweating profusely.

<Good,> she said coldly, shooting a last, incensed stare at her prickly team mate. Turning a kind eye to Pixy she said in a much more cheerful tone. <Like, don’t worry, Pixy. You don’t have to answer to that jerk. If he gives you any trouble, like, just let me know.>

Pixy was shocked into silence by her team mate’s protective nature. It reminded her of… she couldn’t even think it.

In a faint voice all she said was, <Thank you, Bubbles.>

Smiling a toothy grin as she passed a bowl of food to the Vulpix. <Like, no problem!>

<Geez, Bubbs… what’s with you? Keep that up an’ all the handsome Water types will become intimidated,> Anuvi teased with a laugh.

<I dunno, Anuvi,> Crimson said delicately after emptying his mouth. Reaching for another, well-measured morsel, he looked over cheerfully and went on, <Your dating record usually involves you getting spazzed by an angry Chansey somewhere,>

<Only ‘cause you were crimping my style,> the Mongle said tetchily.

All the Mongle’s best friend said nonchalantly was <If you say so,> before returning to eating his food.

<Oh, yeah? Just watch this…> Mongle said with a smirk as the resident Chansey nurse came out of the ward after checking on her patients.

<I’d rather not,> Crimson said coolly, turning to face Grandpa as he narrated his tales to Pixy and Blitzkrieg.

<Hey, babe. Wanna scope the town with one of the Gatonda tourney winners?> Anuvi said, turning on the charm.

Unfortunately, Anuvi’s charm wasn’t really that impressive on the lady Pokémon, especially Chansey.

<Uh, eww,> the Chansey said nonchalantly, walking on.

<Give it up, private,> Ace barked at her team mate, looking up from her food to glare at the Leaf Squirrel Pokémon. <I heard that this Chansey has a…>

<A what? Boyfriend?> Anuvi chuckled. <Naw, she’s only playin’ hard to get. Besides who’d date a walking egg-shaped Pokémon?> he laughed out loud as Ace shook her head and returned to discussing a new move Sapph had come up with to train her with later that day.

Chansey heard him. Her eyes teary, she yelled at the top of he voice. <Mortimer!>

Anuvi looked around to see what the Egg Pokémon had called out to. A large grey Pokémon with muscles that wouldn’t look out of place on a five foot muscle builder. The size of his pecs where comparable to paving slabs and his rock hard abs looked like grey, square cricket balls. A gold belt with a red letter P on the circular buckle circled his waist and would have seemed to hold up his tight black body builder sweat pants.

<What’s the matter, Toots?> the hulking mass of solid muscle said in a gravelly voice.

Pointing at the uncouth Mongle, she sobbed <That little rat disrespected me!>

<Oh he did, did he?> the Machoke said viciously, cracking his knuckles with voluminous noise.

Mongle broke out in a cold sweat.

<Er, guys? A little help here?!> Anuvi said in a high-pitched voice as the Superpower behemoth bore down on him, flexing his soccer-ball sized muscles.

<Don’ look at me, bub,> Zen said churlishly. <This is your problem.>

The Mongle looked up sheepishly and saw that Mortimer the Machamp had an evil glint in his eye. His ears drooped as his eyes widened.

<Eheheh… kibble?> Mongle said feebly, offering his bowl of half-eaten food to the fuming Chansey.

Mortimer cocked back his fist…

***​

“Great… just great. Just what we need before a gym match tomorrow,” Sapph groaned exasperatedly, looking down on the hospital bed where Anuvi lay, his entire body bandaged like a mummy and all four limbs suspended in the air. The Leaf Squirrel looked completely ridiculous, but Sapph felt the situation didn’t warrant much of a humorous response.

“My star player put out of action by a rampaging Machoke!” Sapph went on, running his hand through his messy dark brown hair in an agitated manner.

<Well, at least we were able to get that grey muscle head off him before he broke something important,> Crimson said miserably, reflecting on the memory that it took himself, Grandpa, Bubbles and Blitzkrieg’s combined strength to keep the Superpower Pokémon in check until its trainer got off the phone long enough to return it to the confines of its pokéball. By the time that had happened, Anuvi looked like a fuzzy, barely breathing rug.

“What was he doing this time?” Sapph asked exasperatedly of his Pokémon who stood gathered around Mongle’s bed.

<What else?> Crimson said wearily.

<Insufferable attempt at debauchery, Colonel,> Ace said smartly.

<Sufficient to say, the offender got his can kicked,> Silver droned in what seemed to be a life less attempt at cracking a joke.

No one present cracked a smile.

<Toughness of audience presently detected to have undergone exponential exacerbation,> the Magnet Pokemon droned as an animé sweat drop formed beside his single eye. <Currently reading diamond-hard.>

<Would waiting be inconvenient, Colonel?> Ace said to her trainer.

“Yeah, it would,” Sapph said shortly, not wanting to think about how far ahead of him Kamren had gotten. He got up off the chair on which he’d been seated as a guilty Nurse Chansey had administered relief under the uncomfortably stern gaze of Nurse Joy.

“C’mon, let’s get some rest. We have a big day tomorrow,” Sapph said wearily.

Haley stood outside the ward nervously and asked “Will he be OK?”

“He’ll live,” Sapph said slowly. Suddenly noticing that some party members were absent, he asked around, “Hey, anyone seen Zen or Grandpa?”

“They left soon after that Machoke splattered Anuvi,” Brian said, showing up at Haley’s shoulder.

“Where were you?” Haley said in surprise.

“Uh, training with Eaves,” the Kazutan said evasively as Sapph ran out to look for his Pokémon.

Haley stared at Brian suspiciously. She couldn’t quite place her thumb on it, but there seemed something dishonest about Brian’s answer.

***​

Grandpa stood alone in a rocky field with his eyes closed in meditation. The wind blew through the boulders that dotted the plain on which he stood. Behind him, crouched in the shadow of a particularly large boulder was Zen the Taebrawl.

<What’s he doing here?> Zen wondered aloud, though apparently not loud enough for the Geome to hear him, his saffron eyes narrowed as the reddish glow of the setting sun glinted off his metallic arm.

As if to answer Zen’s questions, Grandpa brought his bent elbows to his waist and his fists to his chest. The next few seconds blew Zen’s mind.

The Geome’s eyes fluttered open as he inhaled deeply. All of a sudden he let out a loud yell of concentration as his eyes focused on a single point on the ground and drove his fists into the ground at that point with earth shaking force.

<WHOA!> Zen thought in shock, grabbing hold of something as he struggled to keep his balance and stay hidden at the same time. He gave up as he saw the effect of the Rock type’s technique and gasped, which admittedly would be anyone’s reaction knowing Grandpa was a gentle Pokémon who on outward appearance would appear incapable of such power.

What looked like a tidal wave of rocks burst from the ground in a rhythmic ripple from the point his fist made contact running in a straight line for a good twenty, thirty feet.

Zen’s jaw dropped so hard it was a wonder Grandpa hadn’t heard it yet.

<Holy ****!> Zen swore under his breath. <Ancientpower? He knows Ancientpower?!>

Grandpa rose to his full three foot seven height and exhaled calmly. Then opening his eyes and without looking back he said, <I know you’re there, Zen. Why don’t you come on out and tell me what’s on your mind?>

Zen’s heart skipped a beat as he stepped out from behind the rock where he’d hidden behind. Building up his confidence, he approached the Rock Man Pokémon and said clearly, <I have a request.>

<Let me guess, you want to learn how to do that, hmm?> Grandpa said humourlessly, jerking his thumb at the wreckage which resulted from the onslaught of power.

<Yes, sir,> Zen said with uncharacteristic manners, going on his knee in a sign of respect.

<I don’t think so,> Grandpa said shortly.

<Wh-why?> Zen spluttered, his eyes wide as he stared at his feet.

Grandpa breathed in steadily as he pondered his choice of words.

<You’re impatient,> he said finally. Zen looked up, his eyes wide. <You think a false show of respect will win me over? Forget it, kid,> he said as he walked past the Combatant Pokémon, who’d bowed his head in horrified shame as to having been found out.

<People like you just like to amass powerful attacks to stand above the rest of the pack,> the Geome went on. <Being in a team doesn’t matter to you. You’re only here because you feel you must defeat the one who defeated you,> he went on, stopping as he glanced back at the Combatant Pokémon. <Am I wrong?>

Zen looked up fully intending to retort with a vehement denial but the words got caught in his throat as he stared into the Geome’s eyes. In the Rock type’s eyes he saw what seemed like a mirror, a mirror that reflected his inner soul’s desire. True, he’d teamed up with the Ledian in the Relic Pass, but only in an unspoken challenge to see who was the strongest. Sapph had asked him to use Aura Sphere, but disobeyed. Sure, he’d said he was out of them, but that was a downright lie. Maybe the Geome was right… maybe he did want to surpass Crimson and break free of the human’s grip. After all, the last time he’d trusted a human, he’d lost his arm, and as a result his home, the faith his comrades put in him and his first, truest friend.

Grasping the upper part of his metallic arm, he bowed his head, closed his eyes and admitted shamefully to the truth he’d sworn never to admit.

<No. No, you’re right,> Zen said softly, tears oozing out of his tightly clenched eyes, and falling to the earth below.

Grandpa stared at the humbled Taebrawl and said <Very well, Zen. I’ll teach you how to use Ancientpower.>

Zen choked as his teary eyes flew open in surprise. Staring up at the smiling Geome, he said <H-honestly?>

The Rock Man’s smile was replaced with a stern expression as he said <Only on two conditions.>

<Anything!>

<Firstly, you are to promise never to use this technique without being asked to,> Grandpa said firmly, <and by that, I mean without being commanded to by Sapph.>

Zen bowed his head and said, <I-I understand.>

<And secondly,> the Geome said, his voice deadly serious. <You must swear never to use this attack on any team mate. Not one of them. And in no circumstance.>

<I promise,> Zen said softly. He felt strange; he’d for the first time since being abandoned in his greatest hour of need made a promise from deep within himself, one he felt he must keep.

Grandpa the Geome smiled. <Then let’s begin.>

***​

“C’mon, Brian, let’s go! The Gym’s waiting!” Sapph said loudly, literally bouncing off the fourteen-year-old’s bed.

After Zen and Grandpa came back around half past midnight that morning, Sapph had to be put to sleep do to the strain worry had put on him. The following morning, though, Sapph was restored to full pep and ready to break in a new badge.

“You go ahead, I’ll catch up,” Brian mumbled sleepily, waving away his currently hyperactive roomy.

Sapph was slightly put out by this show of apathy. Eager to get going, he gave Brian up as a bad job and left, calling over his shoulder, “Your loss, pardner,” Sapph said briskly as he opened the door and stepped out into the corridor. “It’ll most likely be over by the time you get there!”

“Cool,” Brian mumbled lackadaisically. “Break a leg, Sapph.”

Weird, what’s with him? Sapph thought, turning to run right into Haley.

“Morning, Champ,” Haley said cheerfully. Apparently, she’d just had breakfast. Looking around as she offered Sapph Grandpa and Zen’s pokéballs and some toast, she asked “Where’s Brian?”

“Asleep,” Sapph said with a shrug, gratefully accepting the food and equipment from the Coreian researcher.

“And Anuvi?” Haley asked again.

“Same there,” Sapph said, a little mournfully this time. “Nurse Joy said he’ll be all better by noon.”

“Sure you won’t wait?”

“Yeah,” Sapph said coolly. “By the time Anuvi’s ready to go, I could have racked the win already. Blimey, he won’t like that...”

As their voices faded down the corridor, Brian sat up suddenly.

Sorry t’ leave like this y’all, he thought sadly, looking around for his knapsack. But I can’t tell y’all the truth… not to ya faces…

***​

“The gym’s on the lower tier, right?” Haley pondered aloud as the duo left the center.

“Two rights and a left,” Sapph said slowly in reply as they trotted through the milling crowds.

“Ah, here it is!” Haley said cheerfully, spotting the large auditorium which served as the gym.

Having finally located the large structure that he was looking for, Sapph outside the gym with Haley, a bit more nervously than he normally was before a match.

“What are you all nervous for?” Haley asked in a slightly amused voice. “Haven’t you done this before?”

“Yeah,” Sapph said, his throat a little dry. He had done this sort of thing before, but that was about a week and a half ago, back in Nightspark City. Plus in both his last matches, he’d had Anuvi and Crimson to bail him out.

My team may be three times stronger in number, but in teamwork they're still a little patchy, Sapph thought grimly, his mind going back to the disastrous episode in the Pokémon Centre the previous day.

“Hey, what’re you doing here?” A loud voice said in sharp surprise, causing the pair to look up in surprise.

A boy of what looked like fourteen to them was walking briskly up the tunnel towards them, a couple of shopping bags in each hand, his lavender eyes and short matching hair gleaming in the bright sunlight. Tall and slightly built, he looked Sapph and Haley over suspiciously as he placed his bags on the ground at his feet and regarded them imperiously, his arms akimbo.

Realizing introductions were in order, Sapph moved forward with his hand outstretched and said “Hey, I’m Sapph Manson and this is Haley Kent. I’m from Cherrygrove Town, Johto and I’m here…”

“… to try and win a Jurassic badge,” the boy said drily, not taking Sapph’s hand. “Like I haven’t heard that one before. It is new that a challenger should introduce his girlfriend too, but each to his own, I suppose.”

At this junction both Sapph and Haley were red-faced.

“Whaddya mean, ‘try to win a Jurassic badge’?!” Sapph said angrily.

“Who’re you calling ‘his girlfriend’?” Haley spluttered indignantly, although her red face was due more to embarrassment than anger.

Dropping the airy façade and laughing out loud, the boy smiled and said genially “I’m just kidding, you two. Your name’s Sapph, right?” he addressed Sapph, who nodded. “The name’s Slate. Well,” he went on, bending down to pick up his bags again, “let’s get inside then. Time’s ticking, tick tock!”

Looking at each other, Sapph and Haley followed.

Once inside the building, Slate flipped some switches and lights that lined the short corridor that lead down to the arena, chatting animatedly as they made their way to the battle field, which had large boulders jutting out from the gym floor.

“Oh, I forgot,” Slate said suddenly. “Our ref called in sick this morning. We can’t officiate the match without him.”

Sapph’s eyes bugged out of his head in horror. “What?!” he exclaimed, throwing Slate an incredulous glance.

“Relax, Sapph,” Haley said calmly. “I’ll just officiate the match myself.”

A tidal wave of relief crashed down on Sapph’s horror. “You’d do that?” he said, feeling so giddy it was all he could do to keep himself from giving Haley something he’d never consider giving her before.

“Perfect!” Slate said jovially.

“We will have to tape the match though, right?” Haley inquired of the light purple haired youth who’d left the bags at the sidelines and gone off to fetch his Pokémon and was presently returning with two flags; one red, the other green.

“Here you go,” Slate said cheerfully, handing them over to the girl researcher. “Camera’s already rolling, so anytime you’re ready, Sapph…”

Sapph smiled back. “You know I’m ready for this,” he said, hardly able to keep a note of glee out of his voice.

Sapph, Haley and Slate assumed their positions on the rocky battle field as Haley announced the terms of the match.

“An official gym match between Sapph Manson and the Dinocanyon City Gym Leader Slate will now begin. If Sapph wins, he will earn a Jurassic Badge. Each trainer may use…” Haley paused here, with an unsure glance at Slate.

Slate, noticing this decided to pick up the slack and finished dictating the rules of the match. “Two Pokémon each. Double battle. A Pokémon is out of contest if one of them faints or if the Gym Leader recalls it in the case of his, that is to say, me. That’s it,” he said, passing the baton back to Haley.

Haley nodded slightly. “Let the match begin!” She called, raising both flags above her head.

Damn, double battle?! Sapph thought panicked. My only solid team players are Anuvi and Crimson! And to make things worse, Anuvi’s in ICU at the Centre! Who to use?

Haley, thinking along the same lines, thought despondently, Man, looks like Sapph’s old luck is finally back with a vengeance…

“Yo, Sapph! Let’s get it on!” Slate called impatiently, picking two pokéballs off the top of his black trousers with his right hand.

Keeping his panic to himself, Sapph looked up and said snippily “Yeah, yeah… keep your hair on.” Finally coming to a decision, he picked two pokéballs off his belt and threw them yelling “Grandpa, Crimson! I choose you guys!”

That was lame, Haley thought desperately.

Hella lame, Sapph, Slate thought exasperatedly, mentally gagging on the lameness of Sapph’s opening remark as the Rock Man and Five Star Pokémon materialized to take their places on the challenger’s side of the field.

<Hey, Grandpa,> the Ledian said cheerfully.

<Why, hello there, Crimson! How are you faring today?> the Rock type greeted back in fatherly fashion.

“Fine, I select Rustaur,” Slate fired back, releasing two identical rock creatures onto the field. Both stood at nearly three feet tall and looked as though they weighed a total of seven hundred and twenty pounds. Their low-slung, stout bodies seemed to be covered with a bronze metallic substance that accentuated the colour of their golden brown eyes.

<Great! Looks like we’re teaming up,> Crimson said looking back at the gym leader’s side at the opposition as Sapph took out his Pokédex and scanned the new arrivals.

Rustaur, the Steel Edge Pokémon, the Pokédex droned. Although they look heavy, the special steel that serves as their armor is thin and hangs loosely on their hardened bodies. Rustaur are Rock and Steel combination Pokémon.

<Yo, bro! How d’you like your bugs?> One of the Rustaur asked the other, leering at Crimson.

<Squished… flat,> the other Rustaur said with a low chuckle.

Crimson didn’t like that answer much.

<Not nervous, are you, sonny?> Grandpa said concernedly.

<A bit,> the Ledian replied tersely. He knew Sapph wouldn’t deliberately put them at a disadvantage, but this was going to be hard to top.

“Ladies first, Sapph,” Slate said with a grin.

Sapph was grateful for the outlet offer to push his nervousness into. “Watcha waitin’ for then?” Sapph quipped back wittily with a grin of his own.

“Ha, ha,” Slate droned. “Rust, Ore, let’s start this off with Stone Edge!”

***​

At Sterling City, home of the Pokémon League HQ and Corei League finals, several high ranking trainers and all the gym leaders of Corei were in conference.

“So we’re agreed on the revision of the league rules and finalize its induction?” A man in a inky black suit asked the room in general. A long white scarf wrapped once around his stark white neck was the only piece of clothing that wasn’t totally black. The sunlight that streamed through the window threw his pale face into sharp relief.

“All in favour of the motion say, ‘aye’,” Another man said curtly. This man was Clyff Endlethorn, the president of the Corei Gym Leader Coalition.

A loud chorus of ‘AYE!’ rang throughout the room as Clyff surveyed them imperiously through sharp lavender eyes which were half hidden under a fringe of matching light purple hair.

“Passed!” The man in the white scarf said.

“In absence of any further business, I, Cassandra Falton, move for the close of this meeting,” a tall thin woman in a midnight black slit spangled with silver said, her beetle black eyes flashing ominously in the sunlight as she gazed outwards towards the sea shore, wistfully wanting to take a bit of a break before she had to leave for her hometown, Entover City.

“Seconded,” said a woman considerably curvier than Cassandra, who wore a yellow jumpsuit that had the Emblem of the Nightspark City gym emblazoned on the left chest.

“Then this meeting is hereby closed,” Clyff Endlethorn said, rising to his feet.

The others followed suit as he made his exit.

“Want to go to the beach for a bit of R&R?” Cassandra asked playfully of the man in black.

“Um… no thank you,” the man replied tersely, a faint tinge in his cheeks. “I must return to training soon…”

“DUDE!” A loud raucous voice called out as a moderately muscled arm draped itself heavily around the man’s neck. “All work and no play makes Raph a bloody duffer!” the voice belonged to what looked like a surfer who wore a flamboyantly coloured beach shirt and his shaggy light brown hair long. Long white beach shorts and bare feet completed the picture of a man who’d just stepped off an Olivine beach.

“Get off me, Taylor,” the man implored, trying and failing to get away from being cornered.

“Dude, you’re way too serious!” the man addressed as Taylor went on, flashing a toothy smile. “Lighten up. Enjoy the sun. Meet some chicks!”

“Taylor…” ‘Raph’ moaned, knowing it would be pointless to argue with his party-loving colleague.

“Hey, Clyff,” A more heavily muscled man called over to the Gym Leader Coalition President. “There’s an official match being beamed from your gym…”

“What?” Clyff said turned his bearded head towards one of the monitors that lined the wall opposite the glass pane wall that overlooked the Sterling City beach. “That’s impossi- oh, CRUD! Slate!” He swore as he stared at the screen which showed a Ledian and Geome barely avoiding a pair of rushing Rustaur.

“Damn that kid!” Clyff snarled furiously. “How many… I’ve got to go!” He said suddenly in a rush, storming out of the room.

“Hey, Clyff! What about the constitution changes?” the man called after the running gym leader.

“E-mail a copy to Professor Yew in Olville and tell him to forward it to all registered PokéNavs and Pokédexs belonging to Gym challengers!” he hollered as he rushed down the stairs. Pulling a pokéball off his khaki trousers, he added in an undertone, “I have some family business to attend to!”

***​

Brian stood in Sapph’s room silently for a few minutes reflecting on the video message he’d received the other night. Exhaling heavily, he reached into his pocket and brought out a yellow stone that glowed faintly yet rhythmically… the Old Amber he’d discovered in Relic Pass.

“Looks like y’all have a better chance finding a good use for this, pardner,” he said softly.

Pulling himself together, he left the fossil with a note on the desk with the Egg Pokémon and left the centre for the bus stop.

<Couldn’tcha told ‘em, Brian?> Eaves, who’d been silent throughout Brian’s masquerade that morning finally felt the urge to speak out.

“Nah, this is family business,” Brian said heavily. “Ah can’t weigh ‘em down with my problems. They’d feel the need ta help me. That’s why ah can’t tell ‘em directly like,” he broke off as they reached the station, a bus up and ready to leave for Nightspark City waiting.

Paying his fare and climbing aboard, he looked out the window and thought, Y’all keep getting’ stronger, Sapph… Miss Haley… I’ll be cheering for y’all no matter how far away ah am…

***​

“Stone Edge again!” Slate yelled, pumping his fist.

Rust and Ore complied, stomping the ground to cause huge rocks to rise from the ground on either side of the duo that were Crimson and Grandpa. Rushing at the rocks and slamming into them with tremendous power, they made the pillars of rock seem to slide across the battle arena towards their targets.

“Look out!” Sapph hollered back.

Crimson flew up quickly to evade the rushing monoliths, but Grandpa seemed too fatigued to move.

“Grandpa!” Sapph yelled, definitely panicky now. “Get outta there now!”

Crimson, thinking fast, crossed his arms together and charged up cosmic power in them. Spinning like a top as he built up power, the Ledian let out a tremendous yell and threw four Comet Punches at the fast approaching threats. Two smashed into each of the pillars, severely weakening them. Grandpa, catching on, crossed his arms as well and waited.

When the pillars got close enough, he let loose two earth-shattering punches which shattered the monoliths and sent them back at the offending Steel Edge Pokémon.

“Nice teamwork, guys!” Sapph cheered.

<Thanks for the assist, young one,> the Geome panted. <Seems that’s twice you’ve covered me today.>

<No worries.> Crimson replied calmly in a fatigued voice. <The Protect shielded us both, remember?>

That was incredible! Slate commended Sapph mentally. But I’m not so easy to push out of the ring!

“Rust, Ore! Use the pillars to get up into the air, now!” Slate ordered his Pokémon.

Both Rustaur were losing strength too but still felt the desire to serve their trainer strongly.

<Got it!> they yelled in unison, running towards their returning failed attacks and using their sloping edges to run up the side and with agility that must be criminal for Pokémon of their size and weight launched themselves high into the air right at Crimson as the pillars smashed into the walls of the gym and exploded into clouds of dust and chippings.

“What the…?” Sapph yelled in shock, seeing yet not quite believing the Rock types were capable on jumping to such heights.

“Now I have you…” Slate muttered. Then he ordered his airborne Pokémon “Double-Edge the Ledian… now!”

“Oh, man… Crimson, lose air! Grandpa, Ancientpower!” Sapph countered on the fly.

Ledian was grateful for this order, he wasn’t sure he could stay up any longer anyway. Leaning back as he stopped his thrumming wings beating, he fell back and watched the two Rustaur slam head first… into each other!

“Damn, too slow!” Slate yelled.

“You got that right, Slate!” Sapph replied. Then he yelled at his Geome “Now, Grandpa!”

<It’s over!> the ancient Rock type exclaimed, throwing his fists into the air and sending two pillars of rock racing into the air into the slowly falling apart teamwork of the Dinocanyon representatives. The pillars slammed Rust and Ore into the ceiling from below with enough force to create a tremor.

The Five Star Pokémon in the meantime had flipped over and started up his wings again in time to stop himself from hitting the floor hard. Touching down lightly, he turned to his partner for the battle and said, <Gee, think you killed them?>

<I’d reckon not,> Grandpa replied with a grunt, raising his hands above his head in a circular manner and bringing them down to his chest with the palms down sharply, causing the rock pillars to shrink back into the earth, and leaving the Rustaur to follow painfully.

<If you say so,> the Ledian said tiredly. Smiling, he added, <Thanks for the backup. Those two definitely were a handful!>

Haley check up on the Rustaur who had large X’s where their eyes were and raised her red flag at Sapph and his Pokémon and announced “Both Rustaur are unable to battle! Geome and Ledian are the winners! The victory of the match goes to Sapph Manson from Cherrygrove Town!”

“YeeeeeeeESSSSSS!” Sapph exclaimed in jubilation, jumping up and down in triumph.

Slate looked beyond stunned: he looked mortified.

“We did it guys! We won a Jurassic Badge!” Sapph yelled ecstatically.

“Uh, Sapph?” Slate began nervously.

“What’s up?” Sapph said cheerfully, turning to face his former adversary.

Slate opened his mouth, but before he could say a word, a tremendous BANG reverberated down the tunnel that led to the arena.

“Oh, crud,” Slate muttered, going white. “He’s home!”

“Hunh?” Sapph said nonplussed. “Who’s home?”

“My…” Slate began only to be interrupted again by a thunderous voice that yelled “SLATE!”

A man with lavender hair and a stubbly beard stormed into the room, his light purple eyes flashing angrily, a young woman with pale blue eyes wearing an official referee outfit following in his wake.

“What… the… hell d’you think you’re doing?!” the man yelled, rushing up to Slate and grabbing the scruff of the younger man’s shirt. “How many times do I have to…”

Sapph didn’t hear much more. His voice had gone numb with shock as a shocking wave of déja vu hit him.

“Don’t tell me,” Sapph said faintly. “You’re the gym leader?”

“That’s right,” the man said shortly, dropping Slate in disgust and turning to face Sapph, fixing him with his piercing gaze.

“President of the gym Leader Coalition of Corei and the official gym leader of the Dinocanyon City Gym… Clyff Endlethorn,” he said sternly, “and I declare this match officially illegal!”

***​

In a dark room bathed in reddish candlelight several shadowy figures were seated around an ebony black conference table with a platinum throne at the head. The shadows present seemed to be debating heavily on something that was making tempers rise the longer they kept discussing it.

“I say we find the kid and crush him!” A voice exclaimed accompanied by a thud which sounded very much like a fist had been pounded onto the table. These noises came from the largest of the shadowy figures, who took up a large portion of the table on his own.

“Sorry to disillusion you, Doracus,” a snippy voice said in an even tone. “But the child has crossed me and I cannot let my failures rest as such. I’ll find the brat and he’ll fall by my hand.”

“No, he bloody well will not, Atlas!” Doracus roared. “Anyway’s, he crossed me first so I get first crack at him!”

“Oh, no you won’t!” Atlas retorted.

“Oh yes, I bloody will!” Doracus raged back.

“Oh. NO. YOU. WONT!” Atlas thundered back, losing the cool his voice portrayed of him.

A shadow with wild green hair turned to its neighbor and said in a carrying whisper “Idiotic kids,” to which her neighbor giggled girlishly.

“SHUT UP!” the two men roared at her in unison.

“Wanna try making us?” the voice that had giggled said, a feminine touch in her biting voice.

“Now, now,” a sunny voice said lightly, trying to break up the arguing members of the sinister conference, but sounding like its owner was enjoying this war of words.

“Julius, honey… calm yourself,” another female voice said softly, throwing a nervous glance at the throne, whose occupant seemed close to snapping himself.

“That will do,” an icy voice said softly, issuing from the throne and silence reigned in the room. Even Doracus seemed cowed by this man, whose voice was laced with so much frigidness that even the candles stuttered.

“Pointless infighting is a stupid way to lose track of our goal,” the voice went on, his silver eyes flicking from terrified face to terrified face.

“Where is the boy now?” it asked again, his eyes coming to rest on Doracus who looked highly uncomfortable that the man in the throne had focused his attention on him.

“We- uh… l-lo-lost him around Relic Pass,” Doracus faltered. Despite being almost twice the man’s size and three times his weight, the head of the meeting seemed to strike terror into his heart.

After a deeply unpleasant silence, the man’s eyes turned to where the sunny voice had come from and said “Orion?”

He’s currently reached Dinocanyon City, milord,” Orion said calmly.

The man’s shadowy face relaxed into a bestial smile. “Very well… we shall leave him room to move. Zula, Fuega… you two will pick up our… guest,” it said the word with a sick and twisted pleasure, “in Greenhill City. Don’t fail me.”

“We won’t, milord,” the wild-haired shadow answered for the two of them.

“Doracus and Cleopatra will lead the first assault,” the man went on calmly. “Orion and Atlas will stay and supervise the preparation of the second strike. Am I understood?”

“Clearly, milord,” three voices said in unison.

“Atlas?” the man asked of the shadow who hadn’t said a word with a trace of a threat in his already deathly cold voice.

The shadow, who’d regarded Doracus threateningly, lowered his gaze and said “Understood.”

***​

Signing out with your regularly scheduled Corei-Dex Entry!

Name: Rustaur

Corei-Dex Number: 180

Species: Steel Edge

Pronunciation: rust-ORE

Element: Rock/Steel

Height: 2’09”

Weight: 357 lbs

Name Derivation: RUST+ dinosAUR

Evolution line: Rustaur usually follow this evolutionary line:

Rustaur-(45)-> Metatops​

Author's/Artist's Note: Rustaur’s what you might call another Aron - Porygon style. His tail is a little more prominent and his outward body projections more prominent. But as i sketched Rustaur before Aron was even created, you can't really say that at all...

Well, that's all he wrote for this time. Chapter length will fluctuate from time to time. Don't lose heart, the quality is still me!

L@er!

Last edited:

Araleon

Chill
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Brian's gone! That sucks! Oh well... Will he come back?
I can't wait to see what goes on between Sapph, Clyff, and Slate!
This fic is awesome,keep up the good work.

Araleon
;298;
P.S. Mia(the Azurill above) says hi!

DarkPersian479

glazed with glass and looked like windows

all the handsome Water types will

but in teamwork they're still a little patchy

the scruff of the younger man’s shirt

shadowy figures were seated around a ebony black conference table

That’s gotta suck… barely winning a gym battle with two of your power hitters out of commission, then finding out it was all for naught! Desperate as he is to make up time, I don’t think Sapph will be taking on the real gym leader without getting his Pokémon some much needed rest… otherwise Clyff will pwn him and he’ll have to wait for a rematch anyway… with possibly more of his Pokémon in the ER.

Then again, Anuvi brought it upon himself… he should know by now not to mess with Chansey… She ended up scrambling him once again…

Three new mysteries: What is this new piece of League legislation, what evil stuff are the bad guys up to now, and why has Brian suddenly departed? Dinocanyon City seems like an interesting place in terms of how it’s constructed.

Aquarinyoshi

Hope &amp; Faith
Well... I'd like to congratulate you on a good story so far. I've been a silent reader, sadly without posting a review until now. I’ve decided to come out of that phase, so here you go.

I've enjoyed reading this fan fiction so far. You've described everything to where it almost puts an exact picture into my head. However, your battles may be a little shaky. It kind of reminds me of a moderator saying the results of the attacks used battling in an RPG. Even with that little detail it still gets the job done none the less. :)

Your Pokemon and trainers are being well developed. Giving the Pokemon their own personalities based off their natures was classic. I would never have expected them to be used for that reason. The thing that I might suggest is coming up with your own trainers rather than using people like Crush Girl or Youngster to label a random trainer. I mean you've done an excellent job developing your main characters like Haley and Sapph, but the trainers they experience in battles sometimes lack that creativity even if you give them their own names and other small details. It kind of makes you think of Pokemon Game battles of how it identifies them of being a Gentleman *Insert Name Here* or Youngster *Insert Name Here* etc.

Ledyba learning the Thunder Punch may have been a little unbelievable, but how it was defending its trainer was an excellent way for bringing that into effect. Coming out of its nature of timidity and turning almost into a killer was enjoyable to read because of the insults towards Sapph.

All in all I could go on about your fan fiction, but I don't want to keep you busy. Truthfully, this fic has the quality to be one of the best fan fictions on Serebii. Don’t think I’m flattering you either. It's gotten me more into the story than most fan fictions ever take you. Others usually die out of excitement at one point, but yours always seems to keep me on the edge and guessing what happens next. The only other fiction that has brought me to this position was, "A Quest for the Legends" by Dragonfree. I bet other people see the same as me if I presume, but then again we all have different opinions.

Please, keep up the good work as I'll come out from hiding and be a permanent reviewer from now on! ;)

Last edited: