• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Corei Quest...rewritten!

Which Corei Starter would you choose?

• Mongle

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Fryger

• Aquari

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Hey all! Happy New Year! Here's to all the chapters to come!

Now, before we go further, time for some appreciation!

@Shadow Lucario

Hey! He has feelings too. Meanie.

Maybe, but morals... not so much.

On the chapter length... I'm working on shorter chapters for the moment to garner more readers. Guess it's working. But then again, I always had a bucketful of closet readers... (Yeah, I know you're out there. :p )

On the typing speed, I'd been out of the game for almost half a year. Had to kick things up. Hopefully, this year I'm setting aside more time for typing, so blind rushes won't really happen again. (And while you're listening, wish genie... I want a new laptop, too.)

Glad I got the tension down pat. Hopefully, chapter lag time will be much shorter now and the questions will be answered soon. With better balance, more can be done. Fingers crossed.

Lastly, fixed the grammar faults. Thanks for catching them!

L@er!

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
I'm not dead! I'm not dead!

Seriously... I need to stop spending half a year updating this thing... especially after seeing what I can do when I put my mind to it. Need to put in a P.S. to my last post before we hit the disclaimers...

Attack on Titan, hunh? Well, you're forgiven. I know first hand how addictive that series can be... :p

A couple of disclaimers:

1, Josephine Harris, Rachel Savina, Paul Oak and Tempest are all property of Legendarian Mistress on PokeCommunity Forums.

2, In light of some (hopefully) very mild innuendos, the rating on this chapter will be raised to 15.

3, Again, not too much battling in this (short) chapter, but it should be fun enough without it.

Countdown: 3...

Chapter Forty Eight: Deal or No Deal

“Thanks for the talk again, guys,” Nora said to her companions as they traipsed into the Pokémon Center together.

“Any time, girlfriend,” Sky said. Glancing around, she added, “You’re being braver already...”

“How do you mean?” Nicola asked.

“Nora here’s been too scared to come into the Center recently as she didn’t want to run into Reg,” Sky said with a smirk. “Isn’t that him sitting over there?”

Letting out a terrified squeak, Nora dived for cover behind a vending machine. Nicola took one glance in the direction Sky had indicated, and letting out a long-drawn sigh, said, ”I’m with Nora. That joke wasn’t funny the first time. I’m going to bed. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

“OK. ‘Night, Nicki!” Sky said good-naturedly, waving her off as she made her way towards the lifts.

Shuddering in subconscious anger, Nicola rounded on Sky and yelled once more, “STOP CALLING ME NICKI!”

Chortling to herself, Sky said, her speech impeded by hiccoughs, “Seriously, though... with such obvious buttons, who wouldn’t push them? Besides, clearly that ol’ jardo Reg can’t be over there-“

“-especially since he’s right over here,” a cool voice cackled behind her. “Evening, squirt.”

Stunned, Sky spun around and saw none other than Reg standing right behind her, Nora’s arms clamped firmly in his hands, a scared beyond measure look on her face.

Sky demanded through gritted teeth. “Let her go!”

“Why, I’m great, squirt. Thanks for asking,” Reg laughed humourlessly. “Oh, and if you’re asking... here.” He added, pushing Nora away from himself roughly.

Catching her friend, Sky fixed Reg with a poisonous stare and half-shouted, “Is that any way to treat your sister, jardo?”

“Oh, sorry, Nora. You aren’t hurt, are you?” Reg, said, after an over-dramatized fake out.

“You seem very happy for some reason,” Nora remarked with surprise, taken back by his kindness.

“What are you up to, jardo?” Sky said, her eyes narrowing suspiciously.

“What? I’m wounded,” Reg said, with affected shock. “Does my being happy have to infer anything nefarious?”

“Duh, jardo,” Sky said without missing a beat.

“Actually, it usually does,” Nora said after a little thought.

Tutting to himself, Reg hitched a slick smile onto his face as said “Where’s your faith in humanity, girls?”

“Well, you ain’t exactly human, jardo,” Sky shot back coldly. “What are you up to?”

“Ouch,” Reg said crisply, though still smiling. “Well, not that it’s any of your business, but... her boyfriend Sapph Manson just agreed to trade me a Dark type!”

Sky and Nora blanched in horror, temporarily lost for words.

“Sapph wouldn’t trade with you even if his life depended on it!” Sky yelled out, unsticking her throat.

“Sapph ISN’T my boyfriend!” Nora wailed.

Turning to look at her friend, Sky faltered in surprise and asked dully, “Is that seriously what bothers you the most? You need to really sort out your priorities..."

“Well, no one would trade anything for a stinkin’ Azurill egg,” Reg said thoughtfully. “That’s why I told him it was a Cranidos egg!”

“No way would Sapph fall for that lie, jardo!” Sky retorted.

“Midnight will tell,” Reg said, his devious smile widening even more. “Besides, it isn’t like you can stop me. Competitors aren’t allowed to fight outside of the ring, after all.”

“Maybe,” Sky said with a smirk of her own. “But nothing’s really stopping her.”

Following her pointer finger, Reg saw a head of blue hair head out of the Center at a run; and, skidding to a halt, turn and bolt down the street. Sky and Reg’s looks of surprise turned into understanding as two dark-furred wolves shot after her. Two boys, one in a green hunting hat and the other in a fisherman’s cap gave chase.

“Well, that takes care of her,” Reg said in a satisfied voice. “And I’ll take that,” he added, grabbing Sky’s arm in a pincer grip and snatching her phone out of her hand just as the latter was about to hit the call button. “Why don’t we go have a chat?” He added evilly, frogmarching her towards the lifts.

***​

A young couple walked up the street outside Haley’s hospital window as flushing sounds came from the adjoining toilet. A minute or so later, Haley reappeared in a full hospital gown shaking her hands to rid themselves of the extra water. Casting the moon outside one glance, she young Trainer gave a huge yawn and made for her bed.

To say she was irked was a huge understatement. Then again, if one had chased and lost not only their estranged father but their quarter final match by forfeit, they’d be upset, too. Add to the fact that she was being kept here against her will, for observation or otherwise, made Haley’s temper all the more shorter.

Sighing in irritation, the young blonde slipped into her bed, and, turning on her side to get more comfortable, was about to doze off when the PokéNav on her dresser table’s screen lit up and buzzed.

Haley rolled her goose grey eyes in annoyance. Of the few people who actually had her PokéNav number, she presently wasn’t in the mood to talk to any of them... save for Kyle, Professor Yew’s young assistant. Her mother would fuss, the professor would badger her for details she was tired of recounting thanks to the police. Her brother didn’t have her number and Sapph would only succeed in aggravating her further.

She was about to dismiss the call entirely when the call went to voice mail and a vaguely familiar voice sounded out, “Hey, Haley? This is Josephine, Josephine Harris. Are you awake?”

Haley’s eyes shot open as the message went on, “Guess not. Sorry about your quarter final match today. Just wanted to call and arrange a time to switch Pokémon back. How about after the first semi final match tomorrow morning at the Pokémon Center? I’d come around tonight, but Sapph said the police will probably still have you under protection. See you tomorrow, then.”

A sudden beep announced the end of the call and Haley was left to a silent room and her thoughts. A rare modicum of calm spread over her as she mulled the call over. In the throes of her temper (other people around her being idiots, she quickly corrected herself mentally), she had all but forgotten that Tempest the Lapras wasn’t hers. The Transport Pokémon was a true force to be reckoned with, although, as her reflections panned out, a shoddy shot at best. She took a moment to remember her narrow defeat at the very first stop on her Trigello tour.

Flashback

Northern Isle, five days ago

Rekki the referee raised his hand towards Mekki and Muk and announced, “Winner, Muk. The challenger has one Pokémon left. Will she make the selection or forfeit the match?”

That’s just wrong, even for a joke, Haley thought as she gritted her teeth and returned Ento. I can’t retreat now. If I do, I lose by default and I’m out of the tournament!

I only have one Pokémon, and Mekki still has three. Worse still, only his Muk’s taken any real damage and I don’t even know which Pokémon he has besides his Chii- I mean, Winglyde now. Oh, boy, this is gonna be tough... even with the boost Rain Dance offers! OK, I’ve never fought with her before, but there’s no time like the present for ‘desperate measures’!

End Flashback

Well, at the end of the day, I did win the match, Haley thought defensively. And Tempest’s aim’s gotten loads better since then... even if she didn’t really aim much in her match against that darned Gastrodon. She definitely has more than enough raw power though...

Flashback

Eastern Isle, about a week ago

“I am not HOT-HEADED!” Haley screeched, steam literally blowing out her ears. “Ice Beam attack, Tempest!”

“Uh, yeah, you are,” Roni said in an undertone. Just how did I lose to that girl anyways? He thought in a lost soliloquy.

Sighing once more, Florence commanded her Ludicolo, “Use Nature Power again, Ludicolo.”

Ludicolo gave another bellow as he raised his hands up above his head and waved them again, seemingly to give the Lapras a better target. He then brought his hands down once more as Tempest finished gathering energy to her single horn and fired off what seemed to be a bolt of blue lightning, creating a pair of splashes.

The very water churned as a giant wave rose out of the water in between the Ludicolo and the Ice Beam attack as well as above the latter’s caster threateningly. Tempest’s attack nearly faltered but before Tempest could cancel the attack and dive away, Ice Beam and Surf collided.

“Excellent block, Ludicolo,” Florence commended her Pokémon. “Now use Energy Ball.”

Ludicolo grinned and made to remove his hands from the water but found himself pulling up short. Looking down and letting loose a frightened quacking sound, Ludicolo and Florence saw that the ice from Tempest’s attack had actually overpowered the Surf attack, freezing it (and by extension half of the cove and Ludicolo) fast. The Carefree Pokémon worked its arms furiously as the ice trapped his legs and crept its way up his body.

Ludicolo let loose one final bellow as the ice completed its job and shut Ludicolo in a solid casing of ice.

“Such power...” Florence said in wonder as Haley declared one word: “Psychic.”

Ludicolo and Tempest’s coffee coloured eyes glowed with an ethereal blue light as the Lapras let loose a devastating attack which against the immobilised Water and Grass type worked as effectively as a Fire attack on a Scizor, despite the lack of type effectiveness. Ludicolo was shattered and thrown free from his icy confines across the ring and slamming the brown top of his hat on the rock on which Florence stood, not even noticing the swirls in her Pokémon’s eyes as she returned her valiant Ludicolo with Conrad’s “Ludicolo is unable to battle! Lapras wins the seventh match. Florence has one Pokémon remaining!”

End Flashback

That power never really waned while we trained together, thank the legendaries,
Haley thought on as the next memory faded away in her mind. Although if there’s one more thing to brag about, it’s the control she’s gotten over her ability... she thought to herself, the change in evening sky prompting another memory:

Flashback

Western Isle, a little over a week ago

Clenching his fists together, Donald called out, “Then I guess it’s time to end this once and fer all, cuz! Use one more Giga Impact, Tauros! I know you have it in ya, partner!”

The Tauros seemed to find strength in his Trainer’s words and with a roar to the heavens, gathered the energy around himself once more and took off running, the bubble glowing from the purple and gold energy encompassing himself and Miltank before he shot out of it, creating a dazzling display of ice and energy and letting it twinkle in the sunlight as he bore down on the winded Electric powerhouse.

<...uh...oh...> Was all Blitzkrieg could utter as the horns closed in rapidly.

“It can still attack?!” Haley gasped as the Tauros’s horns found Blitzkrieg’s yellow underbelly and scooping themselves under him, launched the Water/Electric type skywards with a bang.

“<BLITZKRIEG!>” Haley and Tempest gasped in unison as they watched the Voltog shoot them a fleeting glance of determination before being thrown skywards by the powerful attack.

“That should take care of that annoyance, eh, cuz?” Donald panted.

Mac nodded, too tired to reply for once and said, “Miltank, y'all use Milk Drink on yourself!”

The Milk Cow Pokémon prepared to revive itself before after squeezing her eyes shut in effort for a couple of minutes interrupted her technique and panted with even more laborious effort, electricity dancing over its broad back.

“Dang it!” Mac snarled as she watched the attack fail. Haley, however, missed this as she was looking up for her Pokémon to fall and a spark of electricity flashed across the sky.

“Could that be? No choice... Guess Sapph’s done it before and won,” Haley muttered in aggravation at the thought of the idea. “But I will not lose! Tempest, fire Thunderbolt into the sky at that spark of lightning!”

<But Blitzkreig’s up there!> Tempest gasped, whirling to gaze reproachfully at her Trainer.

“Trust me on this, Tempest! It’s now or never!” Haley yelled back watching her opponent’s Tauros begin to catch its breath once more. “Do it!”

<As you wish... Miss Haley,> Tempest said uncertainly, its horn this time building up an electric charge and wishing she didn’t have to, fired the Thunderbolt as per her mistress’s wishes.

Mac and Donald saw this and the boy let out a sigh of relief. Turning to Haley, he said, “You know, Missus Kent... Tauros is right there.”

“Oh, I know...” Haley said with a devious grin as the sky suddenly exploded in golden light above their heads. The cousins looked up and gasped as Blitzkrieg finally fell back to the ground, trailing a Thunderpunch that seemed to hold the lightning of Zapdos itself. Blitzkrieg’s eyes had an arrested look of pain and focus as they seemed to hold the terrified Tauros in its beam. With a bellow of pain and rage from both Pokémon, Blitzkrieg thrust his fist forwards into the Tauros’s head, the force of exertion, gravity’s pull and the Electric Frog Pokémon’s weight all rolled into and intent on driving Tauros’s horned head literally six feet into the ground.

The attack however only made half that distance a reality before a violent explosion rocked the field and caused all the trainers, Tempest and Miltank to stagger around or get blown off their feet as dirt and grass flew into the air amidst a burst of electricity that miraculously all missed Tempest and Miltank, though it was less of a miracle in the latter’s case and more a case of dumb luck.

Haley lowered her hand away from her face and spied a crater possibly eight feet wide. Tauros and Blitzkrieg both lay in the recesses of the pit, slumped together and completely knocked out, electric burns even decorating the Water type, despite his resistance.

“Both Voltog and Tauros are unable to battle! Lapras and Miltank are thuh only ones left on the field!” Alf announced.

End Flashback

“At least I have a game plan for tomorrow, after I get out of here,” Haley said to herself as she tossed in bed once more before her eyes drooped, the weather outside becoming gradually stormier. “I really hope Yadmon loses tomorrow...”

***​

Nora gasped as she staggered past a couple of last night stragglers who ambled past tipsily. The feral snorts were not far behind her as she rounded another corner. A few paces in, she realised her error and frantically looking to correct her mistake, her pursuers had finally caught up and barred her way out.

“Finally caught up with you!” Moe said triumphantly, Roderick too out of breath to answer. The two Mightyena separating them from their quarry slobbered and licked their chops obscenely.

A cell phone suddenly rang taking all present by surprise. Turning to his partner, Moe said, “Watch her, will you? Any funny moves from you and Mightyena here will make it your last,” he added to a scared Nora who cursed her lack of foresight to just call Sapph and warn him of Reg’s plot

“Yeah, boss... we got her cornered... uh-hunh... make sure she doesn’t leave... you got it... you sure about that, boss? Well, I won’t mind as long as I can use excessive force (Nora whimpered at this pronouncement) ... that’s no fun... okay, you’re the boss.”

Ending the call, Moe put the phone away and said, “Hey, Fisher, The boss needs you down in Warehouse Twelve for extra muscle tonight. So get moving. He said I should keep his sister occupied until it’s too late to stop the trade, which should be roughly forty minutes.”

More running?!” Fisher said with a groan. “Couldn’t you lend me your Murkrow to fly me there quicker?”

“I could,” Moe said calmly. “But I won’t. Now get moving. And as for you,” he went on as Roderick retrieved his Mightyena and left, muttering bitterly as he did so. “We’re gonna take a nice little stroll over to the northern side of the island, a good distance away from the docks-”

“What’s wrong with the docks?” A voice said from behind Moe. Spinning around, Moe and Nora saw a tall youth with dark hair decked out in black standing at the entrance to the alley, a smaller, yet darker Pokémon of his own at his heels. “Seems like a perfectly good place for a stroll t’ me. Hey... Nora, is it? How are you? And where’s Sapph?”

Before Moe could gather himself to shoo their ‘distraction’ away, Nora barrelled on, “My brother plans to hoodwink Sapph! We need to get to Warehouse Twelve and warn him before he can steal his Dark type Pokémon!”

“Why, you little...!” Moe snarled, interrupted by a laugh from the boy, who said, “’Little’? Nora? Look who’s talking... Ah take it y’all referring to Reginald Saunders, and y’all work for ‘im,” he went on, indicating Nora and Moe in turn. “Well, I don’t know what going on, but you seem to be bothering the lady. Ah can’t allow that.”

“And what can you do to stop me? Active contestants can’t battle outside the coliseum,” Moe sneered, releasing his Murkrow to cover the older boy.

“Well, I guess it’s unfortunate for both of us tha’ ah got knocked out of the quarterfinals, isn’t it?” Brian said with a chuckle.

Three minutes and a series of crashes and bangs later, Brian and Nora ran out of the alley side by side, leaving Moe slumped against the wall with his defeated Pokémon in a dumpster.

“When does the trade go down?” Brian said as they ran towards the pier, Eaves at his heels.

“Midnight,” Nora panted. “That’s only thirty minutes away!”

***​

As Nora and Brain pelted away towards the docks, a figure was already waiting alone from within the warehouse with a large number ‘9’ stencilled on its front. The boy wrapped his blue Cerulean Seahawks baseball jacket more tightly around his body as chilly draughts passed through the cracks in the walls and ruffled his chestnut brown hair slightly.

Hope this doesn’t take much longer
, Paul Oak thought, his eyes narrowing at the drop in temperature. It's only freezing cold tonight. Plus a storm's coming. Glancing at his watch, he watched the luminous figure ‘0’ in ‘2330’ change into a one and muttered, “Twenty three hundred thirty my butt. They’re late.”

A series of scrapes and bangs came echoed all around the storage house the moment Paul had finished speaking. With a remarkably calm expression, Paul hardly stirred as the floor opened up to reveal a trapdoor from which roughly a dozen people emerged stiffly. Each person was muttering darkly about the “cramped space” and flexed various joints in an attempt to get blood pumping again.

“Talk about an uncomfortable trip,” a redheaded man groused. “Next time we go anywhere near Stern’s Shipyard for transportation, count me out of the mission.”

“There was hardly any room in there to swing a Natu,” a purple haired woman agreed, sweating profusely as she worked a kink out of her back. “Damn our skinflint upper echelon.”

“I dunno, I’m not complaining,” a second man said, his mouth curving lewdly from behind a full brown beard as he watched the woman stretch.

“You wouldn’t, would you, Brady?” The woman replied scathingly. “Perv.”

“Like you didn’t want anyone to look, Ley,” Brady retorted good-naturedly. “How about a drink when our mission is done?“

“You mean, if we have time to kill after the mission is completed,” the redhead said with a groan. “Who knows where we’d be posted next, or when?”

“Kannagham has a point,” a fourth individual said, this one a wiry male with a mop of bleached green hair, tanned skin and a badly stitched scar running along each forearm. “We still have at least a year left of active duty before our term is run.”

“Arr, don’t be a spoilsport, Al Ayn,” Brady said with a guffaw. “Just keeping things light. It being hot as the inside of Reverse Mountain in that tin can was as good a reason as any to relax uniform standards.”

Each man and woman that appeared wore the same outfit: a red and gold trim jacket not too unlike Paul’s zipped up two-thirds over a white tee-shirt (although some of the crew members like Ley and Brady had dispensed with this article of clothing.) They also wore a pair of tan camo pants tucked into what looked like short, black safety boots.

“Heads up, crew,” Al Ayn said to the others. “Here comes the commander and lieutenant.”

The last two members to emerge wore pretty much the same outfit as the crew, who had hastily arranged themselves into two crisp ranks, although with some marked differences. The middle aged man who wore wire-rimmed glasses and a stern look behind them wore his jacket completely open and a white dress shirt under it, the collar barely hiding a pink tattoo. The commander wore a full-length red trench coat, complete with white banded epaulettes over his shoulders like a cape and a yellow short-sleeve shirt underneath, although his was tucked into his black trousers unlike his lieutenant’s. He wore his hair in a red afro with a yellow tuft sprouting centrally from right above his forehead and a jovial expression on his face.

“At ease, troops,” the commander said with a smile. Then, spotting Paul’s dark look, his grin became challenging as he walked up to him with a slightly bowlegged gait, flexing his neck from side to side with a light yet audible cricking sound.

“Paul Oak, I take it?” The commander said, extending a hand in greeting. “Commander Therm of the AGENTs. A pleasure.”

“You’re late,” Paul repeated, not bothering to take his hands out of his pocket to return the handshake.

“Sorry about that,” Therm said with a laugh. “We had a bit of trouble setting off. Couldn’t all fit in the-“

“Commander...” the lieutenant said in an undertone.

“I know, Risker,” Therm replied in an undertone of his own. Raising his voice, he called out, “Whoever’s hiding in the shadows back there had best come out before we come in after you!”

So he noticed my tail, hunh? Paul thought approvingly. He’s not as dorky as he looks...

“About time you got here!” One of the white robed figures exclaimed as two identical men in crew cuts, Ray-bans and full body-length cloaks stepped into the gloomy lighting of the warehouse.

“We almost thought that punk kid had gotten the wrong warehouse,” the second one said, jerking a thumb at Paul, who merely looked back in contempt.

“Are they with you?” Lieutenant Risker asked Paul suspiciously.

“Nope, I was about to set Zurax on them if you weren’t coming,” Paul replied nonchalantly. “Isn’t that right, boy?”

<Right as rain, Paul,> Zurax the Liquizzle replied, padding out from behind the crates to their right upon four strong looking legs.

“Sorry, but can we help you?” Therm replied.

“You guys are the AGENTs, right?” The first one spoke up.

“The group that uses the abominations known as Pokémon in your so-called ‘peace-keeping‘ tours all over the globe?” The second one said.

“Hey, Risker, we’re famous!” Therm said happily to his second in command.

“That’s bad, commander,” Risker said with a groan.

“Oh, guess it is,” Therm said in surprise. “So, what can we do for you gentlemen?”

The two cloaked figures responded by pulling out firearms and releasing the safeties in stereo.

***​

“What was that?” Sapph said with a start, jumping off a crate laid outside Warehouse Twelve as a cacophony of gunfire filled the air. As much as he would have run towards the source of the noise to investigate (the glow of flames that had lit up the windows of Warehouse Nine a second later was a big enough give away), Sapph’s last experience with guns had taught him that the safest place to be was as far away from them as possible. He was just about to go call for backup when a coarse voice stopped him in his tracks.

“Running away, are you? No wonder Rubin and Kamren aren’t scared of you.”

Clenching his fists tightly, Sapph said without looking around, “You’re early.”

“Shall we get this over with quickly, then?” Reg’s voice went on from within the warehouse.

Taking a deep breath and walking in, the Johton youth took one look around and sneered, “And speaking of scared, you really need backup to handle a trade?” Pointing to Roderick, who looked ashen-faced, he added, “Isn’t it past your bed time?”

“Tough guy,” Reg said, raising a hand to cut off Roderick’s retort. “You bring the Pokémon?”

“You bring the Egg?” Sapph replied coolly, slipping a hand into his pocket and pulling out a pokéball within.

Reg nodded and turning to Roderick, indicated for him to produce the egg. Roderick nodded once and produced an obloid object and made to place it on a crate between the two parties. Reg suddenly raised a hand to stop his subordinate and raised a quizzical eyebrow, which rose above his dark glasses.

“How do I know it’s the Huskup’s pokéball?” Reg called out.

“You could scan it, if you had a PokéDex,” Sapph replied. “But since you don’t...”

“Show me,” Reg demanded.

“What? Don’t you trust me?”

“Not really.”

“Well, we’re even, then.”

“Do you want this Cranidos or not?” Reg demanded hotly.

“Do you want this Huskup or not?” Sapph countered. “This trade was your idea. Then again, if you’re having second thoughts, I could just leave...”

Both Trainers stood rooted to the spot as the night became eerily quiet, the silence stretching ominously between them.

Finally, with a cough, Reg scratched the back of his head and said, “Sorry about that. The early disturbance did make me a little nervous. And Cranidos eggs are extremely rare. You can supposedly only find them in Sinnoh...”

Sapph seemed to relax himself in light of Reg’s admission and said, “Guess I’ll let you off, then. Guns are nothing you wanna really mess with. So, shall we?”

“Yeah, let’s,” Reg said graciously. Nodding to Roderick, the capped boy and Sapph moved in unison towards the crate. As one they placed both items on the box in front of each other. Sapph took the egg, and hefting it, said, “What, no case? It’s kinda lighter than I expected as well.”

“It’s just that much closer to hatching is all,” Reg assured him, walking forward to take the pokéball from the crate. It glowed blue at his touch, recognizing him as its new owner and added, “Make sure to maintain eye contact with it. The first thing it sees is perceived to be its parent, after all...”

“Wow, you know a bit about eggs, Reg,” Sapph said in an impressed voice.

“My gran ran a nursery, remember?” Reg said calmly. Watching Sapph start to walk away, he added under his breath with a malicious smile, “Enjoy your Azurill.”

“What was th- whoa!” Sapph exclaimed as the egg’s surface began to splinter and crack, a white light beginning to spill out of the fissures. The egg trembled in his hands and with a blinding flash (all three boys shielded their eyes, even Reg despite his sunglasses), a small blue creature sat in Sapph’s arms, blinking up at Sapph’s face with beady black, puzzled eyes.

Sapph stared back with a shocked expression on his face, his entire frame frozen. Reg chuckled and said aloud, “Wait, did I say a Cranidos egg? I meant an Azurill egg. Thanks for the Huskup, though. The Dark Moon appreciates your... contribution.”

The next words Reg heard wiped the smile clean off his face. “What Huskup?”

“What do you mean, ‘What Huskup’? This one!” Reg yelled, holding up the pokéball. “The one I just conned you into giving me like the sap you are!”

“I agreed to trade you a Huskup for a Cranidos,” Sapph said calmly, turning around. “Not an Azurill egg.”

Reg and Roderick blanched. In Sapph arms wasn’t a Polka Dot Pokémon. Instead of two feet, it had four sturdy legs. Rather than white cheeks, the sides of its wide face were taken up by orange, star-shaped gills. And replacing the ball-and-chain tail the Dark Moon expected; a light blue fin decorated its posterior, identical to the dark blue one that stood atop its head.

“From your expression, it looks like you never knew you had a Mudkip egg, either,” Sapph said conversationally. “Though I should thank Celebi you’re a terrible study... kinda cute, isn’t he?”

“A Mudkip... we had a Mudkip...” Roderick said faintly.

“I could have sold that thing... for so much... and I just...” Reg suddenly snapped out of his horrified trance and bellowed. “If this isn’t a Huskup, then what is it?!”

“Oh, right. Say hello to Tentis, my Tentacruel. You two are pretty much made for each other,” Sapph said flippantly. “You’ll need a nickname, too. How does... ‘Tidal’ sound?”

Mouthing aimlessly for a moment, Reg’s voice came back in full volume and fury, “Tentacruel. TENTACRUEL?! You lied to me, you... you...!”

“Actually, I didn’t lie to you during our negotiations once,” Sapph replied coldly, looking away from his Pokédex to fix Reg with a disdainful look. “Did I ever say once that I had either a Huskup or a Mogshex?”

“I...you...”

The door to the warehouse banged open and Nora and Brian rushed in, all out of breath. Taking one look at the egg shell pieces at Sapph’s feet, Nora let out a groan, dropped to her feet and sobbed into her hands, “I’m sorry I acted like a brat, Sapph. I’m so sorry I was too late to stop Reg. If I wasn’t so stubborn, I could have warned you in time. I’m so, so sorry...”

“Nora...” Brian said slowly, but Nora ignored him. The sound of footsteps and a gentle hand of her shoulder caused her to look up into Sapph’s smiling and the curious Mudkip’s faces.

“Hey, hey... it’s ok, Nora,” Sapph said soothingly. “Hunter’s right here and though Reg is a lying scumbag, it’s a good thing he’s a dumb one, right?” He added with a wink.

Helping Nora to her feet, he went on, “I’m sorry, too. I never considered your feelings towards me when I told Josephine and the others what I felt our relationship was like. It was tactless. Thanks for coming after an insensitive idiot like me.”

Nora shook her head, wiping away the tears in her eyes. She looked up and offered Sapph a smile as she said, “Hey, it’s all right. I know you like my cousin, anyways. Besides, I’m glad you see me like a sister, always looking out for me. It means I can do this,” she gave Sapph a huge hug, “and not feel guilty about betraying Joy’s feelings. Sorry, was that too much?”

Laughing, Sapph pulled her into another hug and patting the top of her head affectionately, said, “Nah... that felt just right. C’mon, let’s go.”

“Hold it right there!” A loud voice bellowed out from behind them. “Gimme back my Mudkip!”

“The Mudkip you just traded to me? No thanks.” Sapph said coolly. “No offence, but Tidal isn’t yours anymore... I’m kinda his parent now, y’see...”

“What proof is there you didn’t just steal it from me?” Reg sneered. “Other than your Johton word; which won’t hold much worth in a Coreian court of Law...”

“Well, that... and a tape recording of you admitting you attempted to con me,” Sapph said calmly, watching the horror spread across Reg and Roderick’s faces with immense satisfaction. Holding up his new PokéGear, he added, “Technology is really amazing these days, isn’t it?”

“If you won’t give it back,” Reg snarled pulling out a pokéball of his own. “I’ll take it by force! Go, Quito!”

A large jet black insect with long translucent wings formed itself from the light that burst from the thrown ball and extended its claws menacingly. In response to the threatening gesture, Tidal leapt from Sapph’s arms and set itself squarely against the Bug/Dark type Pokémon, attempting to sound intimidating as it pawed the ground, but not quite pulling it off. Before either Reg or Sapph could say a word, Brian stepped in between the two Pokémon and said, “You’ve given Sapph your Egg, and he’s given you a Pokémon in return. Though unorthodox, a trade has been agreed and carried out by both parties as a binding exchange. If you intend to be dishonest here,” he added, pulling free a pokéball of his own, “Shell and I will be your opponents. He needs some exercise, anyway...”

Turning to the young people behind him, he added kindly, “You better go and leave this to me. Don’t want you getting caught in the mayhem, do we? Besides, Mudkips may be strong, but not as much when they’re newly hatched.”

Knowing full well how destructive Shell could get and how right Brian was about Tidal, Sapph scooped Tidal up into his arms and, pushing Nora out ahead of him, said “We’ll take you up on that. Take care.”

“Shall we call the authorities, Sapph?” Nora asked worriedly as they quickly left Warehouse Twelve for the Raticate Burrow.

“Nah, Brian’s more than enough for that guy,” Sapph said in response as he pulled Nora along. After a moment’s pause, he added, “Maybe an ambulance for Reg’s Pokémon wouldn’t be out of the question...”

As they passed the last Warehouse and rounded the corner, a dishevelled boy wearing a dirty green hunting cap hobbled out of the gap between Warehouses Nineteen and Twenty and limped towards Warehouse Twelve, muttering about the boss needing his help and not noticing the small shadow that tailed him up the street.

***​

“Mornin’, Sapph! Oh, and hey there, Nora!” Josephine said in surprise as she came down to the main lobby of the Raticate Burrow with Rachel Savina to see the two preteens exchanging cheerful conversation over the remains of their breakfast.

“You two lovebirds make up yet?” Rachel said with a smirk.

“Oh, zip it, Rachel,” Nora said lightly, cutting Sapph off and taking everyone by surprise.

Recovering quickly, Sapph told the new arrivals, “Paul’s sleeping in this morning. Late night, apparently. He wasn’t in when we got back late last night but dead to the world when we woke up... what?” Sapph asked, as the two best friends stared aghast at him and each other in turn.

"Y-you 'got back late last night'?" Rachel stammered, for once lost for words.

“'We woke up’?” Josephine asked, eyes wide behind her blonde hair. “You didn’t...”

“Wha-? Of course not!” Sapph exclaimed, reddening. Jumping to his feet and placing a small blue quadruped on his shoulder, he turned to the table and said, “Well, we’re heading to coliseum. Coming, Nora?”

Climbing to her feet as well, Nora beamed and replied, “Of course. Well, then... see you later?”

“Wait, is that a...?” Josephine asked Rachel slowly as the duo left the inn together.

“Looks like it,” the taller girl replied. Consulting her watch, she added, “Well, if we want to not miss the match, we better skip breakfast. Hey, you guys! Wait up!”

About twenty minutes later, the foursome settled into their seats in Section Thirteen as the referee went over the rules for the semi-final round. “Both sides may use three Pokémon each, and a Pokémon is considered unable to continue either when it has fainted, been ringed out or rendered incapable of resuming battle after a ten count. The battle will be over when all three of a Trainer’s Pokémon are unable to battle. Are both Trainers ready?”

On the side closer to them, Sapph saw the back of a young girl with her reddish brown hair in a single, long plait nod once. On the other end of the field, a teenaged youth with grey hair dressed in a white vest and blue cargo shorts nodded, his face a mix of emotions.

Clearing his throat, a familiar voice boomed out over the speakers, “Well, then! The first semi final match: Sky Wingams from Chinooka City, Corei, versus Lewis Carter from Petalburg City, Hoenn. Let the battle... begin!”

***​

CHARACTER PROFILE OF THE WEEK

Name: Benny Tucker

Date of Birth: March 29, PA 2002
Hometown: EverWood Town, Corei
Pokémon
On Hand:
Blue (Swellow), Ardro (Ariados)
In Storage: Not known
Dislikes: Sapph and the fact that Sapph cost him the chance to own a Ledyba
Contemporaries: Sapph
About Benny: Benny is your contemporary ‘youngster’ trainer who adores Ledyba. His goal in life is to beat Cassandra’s Ledian in a one on one match with his own Ledian and declare his feelings for the mildly emo Bug type trainer.

***​

COREI-DEX ENTRY

#177 Hawrior
Element: Flying/Fighting
Species: Shaman
Pronunciation: HAW-ree-ORE
Height: 4’04”
Weight: 83lbs
Habitat: Mountain
Evolution Line: Does not evolve.
Notes: Reputed as the herald of the legendary LEGAERIA. HAWRIOR only reveal themselves to Trainers they deem worthy. They only flock together once every year for mating.

***​

Next time on The Corei Quest, rewritten: The semi final battles rage on, and only two Trainers can advance to the finals. Which two will go for broke, and which two will come up short? With Team Shadow, The Light and the AGENTs all preparing for big operations, one would wonder if Sapph and the others can be ready for what comes next. Find out in Chapter Forty Nine of The Corei Quest, rewritten, End of the Road.

L@er!

Last edited:

Colton S

Beware Bewear
This whole fanfic is awesome. I finally read it all in one weekend. Anyways, I really enjoy reading it. This last chapter was very enjoyable. I find it hilarious how idiotic Reg is. One of my favorite chapters in recent memory. :)

Keep up the good work!

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
A review? What the heck have I been doing?!

@Colton S: Thanks so much for the compliments! Reading the review has put new wind in my sail to keep on writing! P.S. you're on the list!

Just got over a bad case of the flu (if that's any excuse), and as a potential contest deadline is around the corner, I may focus a tad more on that. But never fret, the story continues...

L@er!

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
Well! It's been a while, hasn't it? Sorry to necropost, but I assume you're still working on this, as I haven't heard anything to the contrary :) so!

I reread the entire thing, basically because I went temporarily inactive for quite some time (long story) and thus wasn't up to speed with your latest chapters...I'm glad I did. This story is still awesome. Still loving the characters, the region, and the Pokemon in the CoreiDex! Although I might mention that a lot of your earlier Photobucket links don't work.

You still have that error with Calvin and Dex in the beginning - i.e., Dex was initially the intelligent one. I don't remember which chapter it was - but, when Anuvi (then Mongle) said "That nerd is so not being my trainer!" he was referring to Dex. There was also this random guy named Chaz that disappeared after that chapter, although I'm not sure if you were planning on including him in later chapters or not.

But at any rate, that's just a minor error. And I really like what you did with Dex's backstory, too. It's really cool to see how much progress he's made as a trainer, even if he only made it a few rounds in the tournament.

As far as the latest chapter goes...Sapph's response to Reg's "trade" is genius. Seriously. I was thinking the whole time that Sapph was actually falling for it, but he had a much smarter plan up his sleeve. Although I wonder if it will come back to haunt him - I could see Reg and Tentis getting along a little too well, and that might cause trouble for Sapph and company in the future. :eek: I guess I'll have to wait and see.

You have also left us with a good cliffhanger. I'm excited to see how Sky's battle goes.

And oh, poor Haley. It was so frustrating when she fell for the ruse that Sapph was a member of Team Shadow. It's crazy that her father actually is there, so they weren't lying about that part! But he has apparently become bait for Haley...

Anyway, nice job on this, and hopefully we'll see some updates for it soon. You've really created a masterpiece here, and I hope you continue it. :) It reminds me that I really need to start on my own writing again (it's been like...4 years since I've updated mine? dang lol). Keep it up man, and I hope that you are doing well.

(edit: I just realized that this thread hasn't been posted on in over a year, sorry forum staff o.o hopefully this is okay, and if not sorry about that!)

Last edited: