• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Creed of the Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkForce

Unknown Trainer
Ok, I'll nominate someone...

thundurus-therian.gif

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch/Rain Dance

With Volt Absorb, Thundurus-T can act as a good check to many electric-types that tend to switch in to a rain team. In addition to his strong Sp.Atk stat and good speed, Thundurus-T can fire off very powerful attacks against many foes. 100% Accuracy Thunders are very powerful indeed; HP Ice and Focus Blast for coverage. Volt Switch gives momentum alongside Magnezone, and Rain Dance can still provide the rain that Politoed may not be able to do so by itself.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Ok, I'll nominate someone...

thundurus-therian.gif

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid/Naive Nature
- Thunder/Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch/Rain Dance/U-Turn/Agility

With Volt Absorb, Thundurus-T can act as a good check to many electric-types that tend to switch in to a rain team. In addition to his strong Sp.Atk stat and good speed, Thundurus-T can fire off very powerful attacks against many foes. 100% Accuracy Thunders are very powerful indeed; HP Ice and Focus Blast for coverage. Volt Switch gives momentum alongside Magnezone, and Rain Dance can still provide the rain that Politoed may not be able to do so by itself. U-Turn has no immunities and is therefore an option over Volt Swith to continue momentum. Agility earns a slash since it turns Thundurus into a very malicious offensive threat. Scarf is an option for hit and runs, also allowing it to remove Garchomp, whom are somehow a moderate threat.

I like the set, however, having Rain Dance on him as well seems a bit overkill. Changes made in bold in above quote

Last edited:

Mr.Y

O)_(O
I like the set, however, having Rain Dance on him as well seems a bit overkill. Changes made in bold in above quote

Politoed actually really appreciate another rain setter, so it may be actually good on this set.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Politoed actually really appreciate another rain setter, so it may be actually good on this set.

Ludicolo also has RainDance as an option. Rain being insta-set for 8 turns should be enough until we set overall threats once the team is done.

Mr.Y

O)_(O
Ludicolo also has RainDance as an option. Rain being insta-set for 8 turns should be enough until we set overall threats once the team is done.

It's just a slash though, we should say something like "use rain dance on 'mon A, only if you don't already have it on 'mon B" or something ike that.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Time or my next nomination, and also pushing the envelope for another Rain Team Mega option.

m1n3.png

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Trait: Intimidate → Mold Breaker
Adamant/Jolly nature
EVs: 200 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 56 Spd
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang/Stone Edge/Dragon Tail/Rest
- Dragon Dance/Sleep Talk

Mainly because I love gimmicks and used a set similar to this in the Pre-Mega metagame, RestTalk is a side strategy for everyone that likes to smack Rotom and brush off statuses, like the ever annoying burn. As an already bulky attacker, Gyarados utilize its investment in Hp when coupled with the support of having Intimidate ability. Waterfall is basic standard STAB, while EQ is a solution to Rotom-W and other opposing Electric types. Ice Fang is Sashed with Stone Edge due to its ability to allow Gyarados to hit everthing Flying type; Ice Fang having an advantage against Grass types and Stone Edge having the advantage over everything Flying that can't withstand a STAB Waterfall. Dragon Tail is personal favorite of mine due to shuffling being such a funny and potent strategy.

fitzy909

Just another guy
This is very encouraging. We are seeing a lot or participation from people, which is great. I am quite intrigued by a RestTalk set on a Mega Gyarados. Seems rather strange, but I'm always one for trying out new sets, especially if it allows for a little unpredictability. (Try saying 'unpredictability' 5 times fast)

Between Thundurus-T and Tornadus-T, I'm more inclined towards Tornadus. Hurricane is a very good move and dealing with grass types for Poli and fighting types for Magnezone is very useful. However, do you really want to lower Sp.def? That will make it even more vulnerable to many electric type moves. Might I suggest Timid instead.

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Time or my next nomination, and also pushing the envelope for another Rain Team Mega option.

m1n3.png

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant/Jolly nature
EVs: 4 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 252 Spd
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

This is set is the reason I hate this thing so much. After one d.d it's already incredibly annoying and it's dark typing makes it that ever so more powerful. It also walls my precious weavile to death x.x
Leave rest talk to suicune. We need a physical attacker on the team and if you all aren't going to vote for azumarill then vote for gyrados.

Mr.Y

O)_(O
LF, Gyarados does not learn crunch and Weavile learns low kick.
Fitzy, naive/hasty are the best natures for Tornadus, the lowered defenses don't matter that much. I also forgot to slash superpower with focus blast as it does more damage to Chansey.

fitzy909

Just another guy
LF, Gyarados does not learn crunch and Weavile learns low kick.
Fitzy, naive/hasty are the best natures for Tornadus, the lowered defenses don't matter that much. I also forgot to slash superpower with focus blast as it does more damage to Chansey.

I was unaware of the best natures, so thanks. Also, you're right it doesn't learn crunch. (bizarrely) It's dark type movepool is fairly limited.
Anyway, I believe that about wraps it up for nominations, so let's begin voting. My vote goes to...(drum roll) Gyarados. Our team lacks any pokemon to deal pysical damage, so Gyarados makes sense.

Zephraxe

I was unaware of the best natures, so thanks. Also, you're right it doesn't learn crunch. (bizarrely) It's dark type movepool is fairly limited.
Anyway, I believe that about wraps it up for nominations, so let's begin voting. My vote goes to...(drum roll) Gyarados. Our team lacks any pokemon to deal pysical damage, so Gyarados makes sense.

Agreed with the lack of physical power... I say Gyarados as well.

DarkForce

Unknown Trainer
I'll vote Gyarados as well. It makes sense that the team does need a physical attacker, and (Mega) Gyarados seems to fit that...

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Voting ofcourse for Gyarados. Though we currently lack physical presence on the team, it makes a great teammate for Magnezone due to Intimidate(Pre-Mega)

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Voting annoying evil lobster gyrados.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I have always been under the impression that Gyarados is a Shrimp? Lol.

Agreed. It doesn't have any claws, so it can't really be a lobster. A shrimp seems more logical. Whatever it may be I think Gyarados has won this round, so the team now looks like this:

250px-186Politoed.png

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Toxic
- Rest

272Ludicolo.png

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift swim
Modest nature
EVs: 252 SAtk/ 244 Speed/ 8 Hp
- Scald/Hydro Pump/ Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice beam
- Rain Dance/ Leech Seed/ Hp-Electric/ Focus blast

250px-462Magnezone.png

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

250px-130Gyarados.png

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant/Jolly nature
EVs: 200 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 56 Spd
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang/Stone Edge/Dragon Tail
- Dragon Dance​

Now we need to work on getting our fifth pokemon, only two more to go.

Last edited:

Mr.Y

O)_(O
Before nominating the next 'mon I'd like to discuss Gyarados' set though. The best set for a sleep Gyarados is:

move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Rest
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Thunder Wave /
Dragon Tail / Roar
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
nature: Careful

While for a DD one is:

Mega Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Fang / Substitute /
Taunt
ability: Intimidate
item: Gyaradosite
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Both should be listed as diferent sets and not slashes, as they are nothing alike.

DarkForce

Unknown Trainer
I personally like the DD set more; Gyarados can utilize the rain well by firing off powerful rain-boosted Waterfalls after a few boosts, whereas the RestTalk set is more stall-oriented and does not gain any defensive utility from the rain (aside from weakened Fire attacks). If you wanted a rain staller, Vaporeon/Tentacruel would probably be a better choice.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I'm more inclined to go for the DD set. I agree with DarkForce, there are better defensive stalls and with such a lack of physical presence I'd rather have a DD set to deal out as much damage as possible. A DD, stab and rain waterfall would be seriously powerful. Also, I do prefer Ice Fang over the other options, just to help deal with grass and dragon types.

Last edited:

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Offensive Gyarados(M) is honestly the better. I personally prefer the SubDD set to avoid any mishaps and unwanted statuses. Offensive and Defensively, Gyarados is a complete monster once set up.

[EDIT]

With the now confirmed Mega Gallade, Sharpedo & Camerupt, I can assure the next Meta will be everchanging and very interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.