• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cricket Thread

Lucazard

Spoof Man™
Wow great essay or match report. Anyways hope Katich is alright with a shoulder tear or something like that. He said it might affect his bowling but he hasn't bowled all Summer yet.

Night_Walker

Thanks.

Hmm I suppose that could be a problem, yeah well to be honest the only reason I'm aware he hasn't been bowling is cause the Channel 9 commentators continually harp on about how Ricky could (which really means the commentators think he should) could Katich just for variety.
I've never really thought his bowling was that good so I don't understand why they're so keen on him being used in that capacity.

Really unfortunate news that Clark is still not fit, means our two best bowlers (Lee and Clark) are still out injured...
Hope Siddle will recover fully, would be horrible if they chance playing him and he breaks down after the first spell.

Unless they plan to play four quicks at the WACCA (which I think is probably the right move - so long as the pitch is a true WACCA one...) I'm not sure I understand why Geeves has been called to Perth, since it seems McKay is the next paceman in line for a spot in the national side. Surely they could get someone local to carry the drinks, rather then force an in form bowler to take a break from playing for his state side?

Watling going nuts, good man. We might actually make to a 100 opening stand if the rain stops. >_<

Tendulkar and Sehwag pwning Sri Lanka, man they're going along quickly. 103 after only 15 overs, holy crap.

Edit: I think I love Tendulkar and Sehwag.

Last edited:

Night_Walker

What a wuss Ponting is.
I do hope you're being sarcastic.

I'm amazed that it sounds like nothing was broken.
Ricky's one of the toughest men in world cricket but from the moment he got hit, right on the point of the elbow, he was in serious pain. Probably didn't help that he then got one in the ribs next ball, and that the West Indies then tried to bounce him out for the rest of the time he was there... which I thought simply wasn't in the spirit of the game.

Watson again picked the wrong ball to play a shot to, although really he just hung the bat out there (decent enough ball but bad shot selection) close to that elusive maiden hundred.
Haven't seen the Katich dismissal, all I can say is I hope he didn't throw it away on 99.
Good to see Hussey come out and look to play his normal game while putting a high price on his wicket.
Clarke... Er seriously haven't you guys had the "shot selection" talk?

The West Indies seemed to lack the consistency in their bowling that was making them tough to score off at Adelaide, started their bowlers at the wrong ends then they seemed to build a bit of pressure but that went when they tried to bounce Ricky out, and then for a long while they just let the game meander along. They'll need to lift.

The pitch again seemed to lack that venom that the WACCA is famous for (if a batsman can get a full front foot stride in then readjust to play a backfoot shot on a first day WACCA wicket then it's not the old one) so something needs to be done.

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA
Probably didn't help that he then got one in the ribs next ball, and that the West Indies then tried to bounce him out for the rest of the time he was there... which I thought simply wasn't in the spirit of the game.

Why? If a batsmen gets hit EVERY bowler is going to target his body. It is in no way related to playing in the spirit of the game.

Night_Walker

Why? If a batsmen gets hit EVERY bowler is going to target his body. It is in no way related to playing in the spirit of the game.
Um, bowlers are meant to get batsmen out by bowling at them with a plan, not bombarding them with bouncers (Ricky was getting about 4-5 bouncers per over at one stage) when they're in obvious pain in the hope that they won't be able to deal with them because they've been hurt. It's in the same vein as body-line in my opinion.

Night_Walker

Body-line was a plan, as was bowling bouncers to Ponting.

Body-line was outlawed (well I thought it was, from some tactics I've seen lately I do wonder).

*Shakes head* I must disagree. If someone's lost the ability to use their controlling arm properly, you pitch up and try to draw a false down the ground stroke cause they won't be able to keep it down.

You don't aim at the body, hoping to somehow get a catch, especially against perhaps the best puller in the game right now.

I wouldn't have felt so strongly about it if the West Indies had bowled say 1 bouncer an over, just to test him while probing with fuller length stuff but they didn't, the majority of balls were bouncers.

Man I'm gutted Hussey didn't get a hundred, it's been a while and he deserves one. Same goes for Katich, 99 is possibly the worst score you can get in cricket. Still, 424/4 is a damn good position in the first innings, day 2.

Far out that SL/India match was amazing. Sad that Tendulkar didn't get a hundred, but that's the best top order performance by both teams I've seen for a long time. I felt sorry for the bowlers though lol. Very good match, and it was made better due to it coming right down to the wire. But I was very disappointed to see Samaraweera come in at 8, I mean he's a middle order batsman and 8 is a slogger's spot. He really should be up in 4-5 more than anything, he's a fantastic player.

Good on Kallis for getting a century, he's an amazing player. I was very happy to see Prince back in the side, he's probably my second favourite player in SA (behind Kallis), and 45 isn't a bad knock from someone who's been gone for a while.

All in all, two good tests unfolding methinks.

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA
You don't aim at the body, hoping to somehow get a catch, especially against perhaps the best puller in the game right now.

Well, if he's the best puller then he should still be adequate enough to play the ball even with a bung elbow. If a short ball gets smashed for 4/6 no one has a problem, but if he hits the batsmen 'OH NO, CAN"T ALLOW THAT'. That's bullshit. Shows just how bloody soft and pro-batter/anti-bowler the game has become.

Also, bodyline was perfectly legal at the time, and a very good tactic considering the circumstances. You guys are just annoyed that you lot didn't think of it first.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
ask someone to hit you on the elbow at like 150kmph. Then have them bombard you with short balls.
Yeah. Still on the WI's side?

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA
Yep. I saw no problem. Ponting has a bat in his hand, he should use it. E;bow guard is also available to all batters. He didn't use it, so he (and therefore you) should have nothing to complain about.

Also, Gayle is awsome.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
If a bouncer's coming at 150 kmph, an elbow guard can't do much but soften the blow a little.
But anyway, let's leave this.

treespyro

Vintage much?
Dammit Australia someone score a damm century but loved Gayle's shot in the roof, just like Mark Waugh's on Dan Vettori in 2001 or was it 1997/98.

Anyway its all good and Pakistan should be fun to play as well.

Night_Walker

Barbossa, no I'm sorry but in my opinion you're advocating that playing the man not the ball is acceptable. The laws need to be changed to stop bowlers bombarding people with short stuff, I mean if there was nothing wrong with bodyline why was it outlawed?

And I'm not mad cause we didn't think of the short ball bombarding 'tactic' "first", it's something that I think is not in keeping with the spirit of the game (like finding a great fields-men to be a substitute fielder) and thus it's something I would oppose regardless of who did it.

...Just what the heck is going on; Watson, Katich, Hussey, North, Haddin all played great innings but couldn't get a hundred (mostly cause they played stupid shots to get out) then out trots Gayle who smashes a 100! This is just getting ridiculous now.
Course it gets worse cause then the media focuses more on the West Indian centurion and all the good innings our boys get are virtually ignored...

We really need our proper attack back.

The match ref has charged Benn as well as Johnson and Haddin for bringing the game into disrepute?!
Benn was the one who tried to pull Johnson down to get a run out and couldn't keep his temper in check. Granted Haddin did answer back, and Johnson did bump into him a bit (in an attempt to make him go away at the end of the over) but in my eyes it was Benn who brought the game into disrepute.

Last edited:

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA
I'm guessing body-line was outlawed because at the time, pitches were still uncovered, therefore, it was pretty dangerous to the batters admittedly, however on todays covered, flat pitches that give out no surprises, there is nothing wrong with bowling a few bouncers.

Night_Walker

I'm guessing body-line was outlawed because at the time, pitches were still uncovered, therefore, it was pretty dangerous to the batters admittedly, however on todays covered, flat pitches that give out no surprises, there is nothing wrong with bowling a few bouncers.

Plus helmets weren't around I guess. Still it's a tactic that I feel is very unsporting, just continue cramping someone up and banging it in so they can only fend at the ball trying to defend their body and head while there's a fielder under his nose or close in until a catch goes to them.

Yes nothing wrong with a few bouncers but the West Indies (er does anyone here have any issues with the term "Windies"?) weren't just bowling a few bouncers at Ricky. In the two or three over period just before Ricky retired they were bowling 4-5 per over at him, that was just over the top for me.

Edit: Wow, what a spell from Bollinger and Hautriz - 5 for 25 in about an hour.

Last edited: