• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cricket Thread

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
Cricinfo has a pic methinks.
Edit: Link

Last edited:

dragon-dark-master

Thanks SPPf. TTYL
I'd have a look. But I'm capped. Basically Steyn bowled a quick one at Strauss' ribs, he tried to push it through mid-wicket, Amla was about 4-5 metres backs, Strauss sort of edged it and it went really quick, Amla went one-handed and got it at ankle height about a metre and a half away.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
I missed it too, so... here's hoping we'll be able to see the video on Utube between the time they put it up and CA removes it :O

Night_Walker

It was a metre to his right. Are you blind?
Oh you're talking about the SA vs England match... no wonder we're getting crossed wires, and Amla does sound enough like a Pakistani name that it's sorta easy to get confused. In that case no I haven't seen it.

My bad. I didn't see til today, *glares at cable TV guide!*, that SA and Eng had started playing their next test match.

Last edited:

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA
So you're saying you don't go on Cricinfo everyday like a normal person should? :O

--------

Amla's catch on youtube now. Incredible catch it was too.

Last edited:

Night_Walker

So you're saying you don't go on Cricinfo everyday like a normal person should? :O

Nope, I usually use it only if I want to find out stats. Tend to frequent other sites or do other things.

Amla's catch on youtube now. Incredible catch it was too.
I'll have to have a look then

Australia 1-59, leading by 277, at stumps on day 3.
I'd say we're in the lead right now but given how well the pitch is holding up we'll have to bat well and pretty quickly to set a safe total with enough time left to force a win.
I don't think an early declaration is on here, regardless of how much time Ricky thinks he needs with this attack, the pitch isn't going to behave like Melbourne or Sydney on day 3 or 4.

Was a little concerned at how well the tail wagged for Pakistan, not surprised by the good partnership between Butt and Malik but the tail certainly wagged a lot more then I'd have expected.
But that said the Bellerive track is about the best in terms of holding up in the country so it might well have more to do with the pitch then with our attack - although if you can't get rid of numbers 9 and or 11, even if it's a good pitch, that is something that needs thinking about.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
psst: Link to utube pl0x
---------------------------------
A lightning storm? Wouldn't want to be out there for sure.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
'tis loading right now. Man, from that pic I can see it's some catch, can't wait to see the video.

Night_Walker

First off congrats to South Africa on an impressive win :)

Secondly, another impressive demonstration of how to destroy an attack by young David Warner, including several impressive sixes off the very fast (but horribly inaccurate) Shaun Tait... okay come on New South Wales cricket - get him into your other squads!
It will be a crying shame if this man never plays domestic cricket for his state in either the 4 day or 50 over formats.

Now back to Bellerive.
~ Well at last a ton to Katich... of all our batsman he's the one who seems to have thrown away the most tons this summer (both for himself and for others).
~ Too bad for Ricky (the faintest of touches on his gloves) missing out on the rare feet of scoring a double in his first dig and a ton in his second- but when you're out you're out.
~ Mini collapse after that, but hey when you're looking for fast runs against an attack as good as Pakistan's that's what will happen... Still suicidal running by Haddin.
~ Misery and exhilaration for Doug Bollinger - missed catch then he gets one to swing back in and hit the top of off.
~ A small reward for Siddle, he really has bowled a lot better then his figures for the summer would suggest so it was good to see him get a wicket.
~ Watson makes that all rounder spot even more his own. He did fail with the bat this match, forgivable I think given he's been so consistent for a while now, but this afternoon he came in and got the ball to reverse (which I don't think anyone else has got the ball to do this match) and got two big wickets which really put us in the box seat.
~ Again I think Ricky declared too soon, mightn't be an issue now though with the 4 wickets we got and the rain washing out part of the day. I know we need more time now to bowl another team out but I was far from convinced this pitch would break up that much to make victory assured with only around 430 on the board.

Things are gonna be tough in the fast bowling division for us when Hilfenhaus and hopefully Brett Lee recover;
~ Bollinger is a workmanlike bowler capable of brilliant balls.
~ Siddle's heart is unquestionable and his work-rate (regardless of his lack of luck) is amazing.
~ While I don't like the fact Johnson sprays it around as much as he does there is no denying he does have the ability to snaffle a wicket.
~ Brett is a rare breed, incredible speed with increasing control and intelligence (in terms of how he bowls).
~ Hilfenhaus stepped up from fighting it out with Siddle for that 3rd seamer spot to be the lead bowler of the attack in England, and his ability to swing the ball at pace is invaluable.

Night_Walker

I thought Lee retired from test cricket?

Nope, he's just had a run of bad luck with injuries and so he's been resting up.

Well another solid win to the boys;
~ Being an Aussie fan I was frustrated by the stubborn resistance of Khurram Manzoor and Mohammad Aamer, especially when it did rain a little during the lunch break, but I must admit they both played well, sensible batting (although the running between the wickets needed work) and good display of character.
~ In the end it was a bit of a thumping but I still think if Watson hadn't got those two wickets on day 4 and we hadn't lost some of day 4 to rain Pakistan might have got close.
~ Awesome reflex second-chance catch by Clarke but he was lucky to get that chance and it doesn't quite compare to Amla's catch.
~ Tough to say who was best of the bowlers Siddle bowled really well in this game, as did Bollinger Watson and Hauriz who got some important ones at just the right moments. And have to add in there the unlikely wicket taker - Simon Katich. Johnson just looked tired, so good to see he'll get a rest - how he comes back from that should determine if he stays in my opinion.
~ Watson deservedly man of the series and well it was always gonna be hard to overlook Ricky as Man of the Match.
~ Pakistan played better then the 3-0 score line would suggest, but their fielding was never as good as the Australians' and in the end it's made the call in this series.

Last edited:

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
Lol, Bangladesh put up quite the fight.

Night_Walker

Australia All Out for 127 from 18.5 overs.
Pakistan 9 for 125 from 20 overs.

Australia win by 2 runs...

...Amazing, absolutely amazing!
That is why we watch T20, that is why it is the most exciting yet still pure form of the game.

And 60,054 people turned up to watch it, our only T20 against Pakistan (who we'd beaten again and again). Where you paying attention Cricket Australia?! Or are you still stuck on the idea it's just a flash in the pan?

Shaun Tait returns to the squad, 160.7km... but more importantly 4 overs, 3 for 13. In the past I've railed against him for his lack of control, but if he can bowl like that consistently can we have him instead of Johnson?

The boys' batting (and ability to judge a run - 3 run outs in one match, that's ridiculous) desperately needs attention, that's two matches in a row where they've let the Pakistani bowlers come on, settle and then had to force the pace or get cute with how they got singles (getting out in the process). I'm not denying the Pakistani bowlers are good, just saying that the Australians let them get on top by not looking to dominate from ball one.

Good to see the Pakistanis finally holding catches they should take and fielding to the standard you'd expect of a team like them. I hope, for their own sake, they can maintain that.

Last edited:

Night_Walker

And the Australian "Summer of Cricket" comes to a close with an incredible display of skill, crisp striking and brute force from David Warner and Shane Watson.

Thank heavens Warner is being allowed to play 50 over games for NSW now, he's a fast learner (played some shots tonight that I doubt he knew about when he started), a good gamesman (played headgames with the West Indies spinner tonight) and his hitting ability is stunning.

Personally though I was stunned that Umpire Oxenford or Tucker (not sure which it was) said to Warner, during play, that his attempted switch hit shot was not in the spirit of the game...
The MCC met shortly after Pietersen first used the shot and decided it was not illegal. I think the batsman is putting himself at a disadvantage using his opposite side, but since he's not posing a risk to anyone's safety I say good luck to anyone who dares try it.
So I sorta think that if the umpire really felt it wasn't in keeping with the spirit of the game he could have had a chat to Warner about it after the match.

It seems unbelievable to realise Australia has not been beaten all summer, with the drawn test against the West Indies and a washed out ODI against the West Indies as the only games we didn't win.

The good of the summer:
~ Watson finally making good on his potential.
~ Hautriz stepping up.
~ Bollinger and Harris taking their opportunities.
~ The Australian team finding that "we will not be beaten" heart again.
~ Michael Clarke taking T20 seriously unlike Ricky.
~ Warner's continual evolution.
~ The emergence of Steven Smith (good lord the kid can catch).
~ The excellent competition from our opponents, especially Pakistan who gave us not one but 2 scares.

The bad of the summer:
~ The persistence with Johnson, who has just not come good.
~ The injuries to Siddle and Hilfenhaus.
~ Cricket Australia's stubborn refusal to concede that the casual cricket going public prefer T20 to ODIs. Realistically ODIs have been in trouble for a while, what's why we've seen all these rule changes being trialled, but after how the people so clearly voted with their feet I think it is time the future of the 50 over format was examined closely.

The ugly of the summer:
~ The run of excellent innings that did not result in centuries.
~ The over expectation of Chris Gayle. We all know what he can do, but it seems insulting to the rest of the West Indies that almost all we hear before their innings start is "is this the day Chris Gayle powers his team to a win?"
~ The disrespectful treatment of the Women's game by Channel 9 - if you're gonna broadcast a match you broadcast the whole thing, not the majority of it! BTW congrats to the White Ferns on their win.
~ Certain conduct, by all sides, that was not in keeping with the game.

Okay well now it's over to New Zealand, see what's in store for us - hopefully more of the nail biting excitement we've come to expect when the trans-tasman rivals clash :)

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA

Personally though I was stunned that Umpire Oxenford or Tucker (not sure which it was) said to Warner, during play, that his attempted switch hit shot was not in the spirit of the game...
The MCC met shortly after Pietersen first used the shot and decided it was not illegal. I think the batsman is putting himself at a disadvantage using his opposite side, but since he's not posing a risk to anyone's safety I say good luck to anyone who dares try it.
So I sorta think that if the umpire really felt it wasn't in keeping with the spirit of the game he could have had a chat to Warner about it after the match.

Were you equally stunned about the Australians crying like a bunch of school girls when Pollard (I think) wasn't bowling from teh crease?

Night_Walker

Were you equally stunned about the Australians crying like a bunch of school girls when Pollard (I think) wasn't bowling from teh crease?
Can we get this in perspective please? Watson had a slight argument with the umpire, he was not crying like a schoolgirl.

We don't know exactly why Shane Watson was arguing with the Umpire about where Pollard was delivering from.
If Watson was having trouble picking it up on the sightscreen then I think he has a right to say to the umpire "um look I'm having trouble picking up the ball because of where it's being bowled from" - after all the sight-screen is there for reasons of safety as well as fairness.
Or maybe he thought Pollard was delivering from behind the umpire which constitutes a no-ball.
Without knowing why Watson brought it up we can't judge if he was being petty or not.

It's a bit different from interrupting a player in the middle of an innings because you personally think they aren't playing in the spirit of the game.
As I said above, if the Umpire really thought he should say something to Warner he could have waited until after the match.