• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Cryptid Discussion Thread

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
This thread is for talking about the strange beasts that allegedly inhabit our world known as cryptids. From Nessie to the Jersey Devil to the infamous Bigfoot, anything you want. Whether they're real, maybe your own cryptid you think you have seen. Speaking of which, LOOK BEHIND YOU!

Also, NOT creepypasta like The Rake. That stuff goes in the Creepypasta thread. :)

Well I think some cryptids might be real, but of course they'd be undiscovered animals that perfectly fit in the evolutionary tree. I mean, the komodo dragon was also considered to be a cryptid.

I don't believe in the pseudo-human ones though. If those would exist or are based on an existing species of animal, they're probably some kind of ape or bear.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I find it rather unlikely that humanoid cryptids exist at present, though I'd say that it is possible (assuming someone provides a truly reasonable piece of scientific evidence about it) mostly because of evolution. I mean, I guess if you don't believe in that, skip this post, but

Are you still here? Okay.​

in short, human evolution branched at some point during the Australopithecus stage. Eventually, the species returned to one branch as the genus Homo, but a branch is still possible! Not likely, and usually not too drastic, but it isn't impossible. By now, though, we probably would have found it or undergone another evolutionary event as a species.

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
I agree with Drake Poketrainer. The Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp isn't a bear or something though. Explaining that realistically might be tricky for those people who don't like these cryptid ideas.

Last edited:

Klizcool

GARBAGE DAY?!?!
I'm assuming Im not supposed to talk about Slenderman here. Lol

But seriously, I'm all for looking for crypids, Because there's no better way to prove someone right of wrong than by proving it. Wanna look for Bigfoot? Go out in the woods with a camara in the woods. It may not seem like it, but it seems to me like we don't have enough credible people looking for crypids. If I were on the news with a Bigfoot sighting, I'd be labeled as either a looney or a drunk. If the a scientist with years of experience and schooling saw it, HEADLINER!!

BearTown

He needs a tissue :(
I find this an interesting topic. I waste so much time looking on the internet for this stuff xD theres apparently a dinosaur that lives in the congo. http://www.mokelembembe.com/ very interesting. I think this was considered a cryptid. I believe it. I also believe in certain other cryptids. others... well I enjoy the stories hahaha. bigfoot? maybe but I think we'd find something by now. unless they bury their dead or something lol. not counting it out. its maybe. theeeeen loch ness... yeah I think maybe. but Idk about it only living their. it might be some sort of creature that migrates there. Im not definite theyre true, but I wouldn't count it out. Then you get to wendigo, and oklahoma stick man.... idk. I think some might have been true but they might have been on the verge of extinction and the tales carried over. there was an old Indian story about a "thunder bird" that got struck by lightning and died. and it was described like a pterodactly (why are all my example dinos??? xD)

Well about the Yeti stuff, I remember seeing a documentary on NGC where they looked for it (of course they didn't find it, that'd be a headliner). But they did find some hair, they analyzed the DNA in a lab and it turned out to be bear DNA, but not from a known species. And well, I can imagine that when it's dark and you're in the woods, or just when you're in the woods and you see a giant hairy figure standing on its hind legs you think it's some kind of humanoid monster.

I don't really believe in the loch ness monster though. The lake isn't big enough to feed a group of animals that are that large and breed enough in order not to die out.

I think all hidden cryptids exist. :)
why, there is no real proof they don't exist. only little proof they do.
i remember once seeing the strangest bird ever fly over my apartment. it wasn' t a normal bird i assure.

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
i remember once seeing the strangest bird ever fly over my apartment. it wasn' t a normal bird i assure.

Depending on where you were, that might have been the Devil Bird. This thing really interests me as it was actually scientifically proven to be real and is recognised as a normal animal. Same boat as Komodo Dragon really.

Ow that's a probatio diabolica over there, the "there's no proof it doesn't exist" thing isn't really valid. There's just no proof they do exist, otherwise you'd find them in biology records of course. However there's indications that are worth investigating if they're undiscovered animals, misconceptions, or just fantasy.

Ferrin

Easily Lost
this reminds me of "finding bigfoot" on animal planet. why are they so serious about finding a big gorilla?I'll do some research

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
this reminds me of "finding bigfoot" on animal planet. why are they so serious about finding a big gorilla?I'll do some research

they think that it would prove evolution (thus disproving creation/existance of god) thus showing that they have no one to be accountable to, thus letting them do whatever they want.

BJPalmer85

you can argue the "there is no proof it isnt real" theory all day long....i do just annoy people.

Does the chupacabra (sp?) count?

B

BJPalmer85

^ As long as it has alleged sightings, but not scientifically proven to exist it counts as a cryptid. So yeah, chupacabra counts.

awesome! i love the chupacabra stories. its like a modern day chimera!

B

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
awesome! i love the chupacabra stories. its like a modern day chimera!

B

Fun fact: Chupacabra is I believe Spanish/Mexican for "Goat sucker". If you like the Chupacabra stories I recommend googling the Jersey Devil and Am Fear Liath Mor.