• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Culling AKA What the heck Happened to Serebii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhalla_Nights

I havent posted in here forever, but can someone explain to me what the heck happened to this site? It's a complete ghost town and the forum has been really simplified.

Where are the people? Why do we have a mod with the no no word in his name? What?

WHERE'S JOE!?

Nyter

Island Challenger
I havent posted in here forever, but can someone explain to me what the heck happened to this site? It's a complete ghost town and the forum has been really simplified.

Where are the people? Why do we have a mod with the no no word in his name? What?

WHERE'S JOE!?
What was your forum name before?

Curious. It says you are a new member. And yes, social media took over and took over half of the Serebii population out.

Also, I'm sure members started families, grew away from the site, and well... COVID-19 as well.

Few of us are still latching on.

RIP to members such as JoshYeah, JB#s, Profesco, Pikapal Lyra, Ellie, etc...

And Joe is still around but I suspect Joe isn't Joe (Pokémon of the Week thread is still a thing).
It's possible other people are running the account as well. My opinion though, not fact.

Valhalla_Nights

What was your forum name before?

Curious. It says you are a new member. And yes, social media took over and took over half of the Serebii population out.

Also, I'm sure members started families, grew away from the site, and well... COVID-19 as well.

Few of us are still latching on.

RIP to members such as JoshYeah, JB#s, Profesco, Pikapal Lyra, Ellie, etc...

And Joe is still around but I suspect Joe isn't Joe (Pokémon of the Week thread is still a thing).
It's possible other people are running the account as well. My opinion though, not fact.
I made this account around 4 years ago, I originally joined back in like... 2009 I think? I've had 3 accounts here since then lmao. This is the one I made after I started posting on twitter for like years or so, cause I was trying to consolidate my "brand".

But yeah. I see Joe posting on Resetera(Neo Neogaf) more now these days and his twitter is completely dead.

The forum looks mad different now tho, I like how clean it is, but my old themes are gone rip

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Yeah well, welcome to the Internet post-FaceBook/Twitter/Reddit/etc. It's not just Serebii, nearly every major specialized forum waned in popularity as the social media giants grew. Why use a dozen different sites like Serebii for all your various interests when you can use one site that covers everything? Or at least that's the idea I suppose. Personally I like to keep my interests separate, so here I still am.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Actually I think this site is still very active. I’m on other Pokémon forums that are not very active with one not even getting any new posts for weeks sometimes and the news section being so outdated that the “newest games” it has being announced are ORAS. The other has some posts made daily but not as much as this site.

Vernikova

Champion
I will give my uninformed opinion since we can generalize it to the message boards.

The '10s have been a bad time for forums. Reddit was around during 2008, but it wasn't a huge competitor, and chat services such as AIM, Skype, and IRC have been around and have never supplanted message boards. What really supplanted message boards was the innovation of smart phones.

Smart phones were a technological innovation that changed the way we lived. Rather than shitty mobile web browsers that looked like unfinished read-only '80s websites, you could actually look at a web page directly on your phone. So, a person didn't need to be on their computer to actually look at a web page but could actually look at their internet pages on the go. This was a very convenient event for web developers everywhere and for users. You could go one your sppf or your bmgf while on the train or at school. At this time, Facebook, YouTube, and Reddit were growing, but message boards still had their place.

The problem is that forums didn't really innovate from there whereas social media platforms that are currently large did. Releasing mobile apps was such a game-changer for people. Reddit released a third-party built app in 2014, Facebook had a mobile version since 2007 but released their app in 2009 and polished it by 2012, and YouTube by 2012 had theirs out. This gave users the convenience of not even needing to go on their browser to go to websites but just downloading an app.

Another thing is that these social media platforms (not Reddit really, which is a small potato) expanded to consolidate users to using their products in a type of ecosystem where if you use one company's services then you'd e able to get other things. It started with sites just offering different activities on their platform (Facebook games or Facebook dating for example) and has now moved to either absorbing other companies (eg Facebook buying WhatsApp and Instagram and then merging the services) to bundling their services (eg Apple+, Amazon Prime) into ecosystems.

With this type of convenience, it's no wonder that people would move on to more convenient options. Forums simply stagnated with outdated technology that couldn't compete in the market. Not to mention that these social media platforms incentivized celebrities and other famous individuals to use them for visibility, which only incentivized advertisers and users to flock to the products.

A recent survey was published here:

ID2nCZt.jpg

Big social media has taken a hit even greater than scum companies such as Amazon because of many issues: privacy, censorship, etc. What might revitalize a deconsolidation of social media might be the current trend against these companies that is driven by right-wing actors. Notice that hardware and general software companies are mostly fine (unless they're Chinese), but social media giants are taking hits to their popularity. The current social media consolidation may be outdated in a decade and replaced with something newer as technology advances. We'll see how it goes.

Valhalla_Nights

You trying to get in the history books my guy? Write a whole textbook type wave okrrrrrrrrrt I see u chief, catch that bag~
Yeah well, welcome to the Internet post-FaceBook/Twitter/Reddit/etc. It's not just Serebii, nearly every major specialized forum waned in popularity as the social media giants grew. Why use a dozen different sites like Serebii for all your various interests when you can use one site that covers everything? Or at least that's the idea I suppose. Personally I like to keep my interests separate, so here I still am.
Now that's a smart cookie

I have a feeling block chains are gonna bring forums back tho @Vernikova

Vernikova

Champion
I have a feeling block chains are gonna bring forums back tho @Vernikova
Maybe. There are reports of people moving to Signal and Telegram, but those apps are in competition with platforms such as Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, not Facebook Groups or Reddit. If privacy becomes a greater concern, then people may decentralize again when it becomes too inconvenient. And blockchain might bring them back a bit, but the messaging board as we see here on sppf is kind of dead. Mobile skins don't mean a thing if there are more convenient options out there.

I got rid of of Facebook apps (Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp) and have had no issue communicating with people on Signal, Telegram, or even basic text messages. And forums fulfill my need to communicate with others in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.