• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Curtain Rises! The Alola Pokémon League!! (1071)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1071.jpg

The Curtain Rises! The Alola Pokémon League!!

It's time for the opening of the Alola Pokémon League and the group have arrived at the stadium to register. The expectations for the league heat up as reveryone's rivals appear in quick succession. However, soon Guzma and the rest of Team Skull appear and start causing trouble, especially when Team Rocket also appear. This leads into a delve into the history of Guzma and Kukui. What happened between them in the past and can the League continue?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

D

Deleted member 384931

The beginning of the league didnt got me hyped. The story between Kukui and Guzma was interesting and Kukui being depressed is a nice touch. Ash gave some speech. So the only purpose of Guzma in the anime is the league?

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
The beginning of the league didnt got me hyped. The story between Kukui and Guzma was interesting and Kukui being depressed is a nice touch. Ash gave some speech. So the only purpose of Guzma in the anime is the league?

Could you summarize what's the story and buff between Kukui and Guzma?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Lame!
TRio and Gladion(why was that even needed?) beat Team Skull offscreen.... -.-
Yet people are gonna defend that like always cause apparently SM can do no wrong! The Team Skull guys are supposed to be the TRio's rivals... they needed more than that, especially as this is like the third time they've interacted and just might be the last.

Of course Guzma flashback stuff is shown now and not in, you know.... the time travel episode? Rushed as heck is what this is, hope Guzma rightfully turns a classmate into canon fodder soon....

D

Deleted member 384931

Btw how that new segment where they do the league predictions?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I enjoyed this episode for the most part. Aside from showing a very unnecessary scene of Ash getting thrown by a swarm of fan girls somehow and off screen battles of Team Skull losing from Gladion and surprisingly, the TRio, this episode was a decent setup for the Pokémon League. Kukui’s and Guzma’s brief flashback captured my attention and seeing Kukui depressed about it meant it was a bad argument. I chuckled seeing Kiawe passionately moved by Ash’s encouraging speech and he was taken back from it. So nice seeing Ulu here. I forgot how he’s like the Alola version of Brock. Also I love seeing how firm and strong Lillie is looking! She’s a force not to be messed with!

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

Damn I don’t even know how you can manage to make a League introduction episode so boring. All you have to do is show all the characters interacting with the rivals. Hell Acerola and Mina weren’t even there. The Team Skull stuff really wasn’t even necessary seeing how the backstory was thrown in damn near the end of the episode.

Could have at least shown Ash calling his mom, Oak, or even Brock and Misty. Just seems like a lot of this episode was useless padding because they REALLY didn’t want to start the Battle Royal until next week.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I must have skipped Rowlet holding an Everstone. Spits it against Team Skull's Salandit and swallows after.

iM4oUg.png

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
"Screw you, Kukui! I'm gonna leave, and then I'm gonna go dye my hair!" - Guzma, probably.

Good that Hau spent most of the episode with Ash and co. It's really disappointing how little he's appeared, but stuff like this is at least an attempt to make up for that.

I'm glad that Rowlet and Decidueye's dynamic didn't change after evolving. They even did the hair(feather?) flip thing. Though I don't like that because it evolved, it lost the unique animation for Razor Leaf. The blade quills looked cooler.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I enjoyed the episode but mostly because I am so excited for next weeks episode.
Decidueye looks way better animated in the anime compared to the games. I like him in the games, so it's just that much better animated IMO. Rowlet and him are still adorable. Nothing from meltan this episode really or anyone else of Ash's pokemon except obviously Pikachu, who had a cute interaction with Rowlet, besides the battle.

The Team Skull scenes were pretty pointless but it was fun seeing everyone hyped up and it'd just be reused move animation for each battle anyways so I'm okay they went quick with it. I really just wish I knew japanese so I could understand the talking in this episode which I feel was a bit more important lol.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I'll appreciate little moments like James, of all people, being the scariest over Jessie. It's strange not see Hau eating anything but malasadas, but I didn't watch his debut, so eh.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Wasn’t expecting anything too wild since they’ll never pass DP’s league opening episode but it was decent.

One thing that sticks out to me though is Decidueye’s soul piercing stare. There’s several scenes where it’s just standing there motionless.

Guzma without his hair dye looks so off