• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Curtain Rises! The Alola Pokémon League!! (1071)

Hanto

Water Addiction
They changed Razor Leaf animation to the standart one, do not like it. Unless different animators make this move differently, just like Sandstorm. Ashs Boldore used something just like ordinar sandstorm, then rainbow-colored beam and vice versa.

_AISP

Insect/Pokemon lover
Definitely a lot of unnecessary parts to the episode and a lack of interactions I would have enjoyed before the league. I did like that Team Rocket beat down Team Skull even though it was off-screen. Really all that was interesting was the Guzma and Kukui back story and maybe some of the ending (basically, whenever Guzma appeared).

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It was weird seeing Guzma just at the start of his Hot Topic phase.

So Kukui was already wearing his coat meaning he was a Professor by then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Guzma was jealous of him. Beat the Island Challenge, became Professor, has a nice body...
What was that last part, Guzma?

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode felt strangely empty despite how crowded it was, in the sense that nothing exciting really happened. I liked seeing the characters take it easy and just enjoy the festive atmosphere of the Alola League's opening, but I expected something more after all the hype about Guzma and Kukui-hakase. I liked getting to know some more of Guzma's backstory at least, but the episode ended up seeming quite anti-climactic.

D

Deleted member 384931

This episode felt strangely empty despite how crowded it was, in the sense that nothing exciting really happened. I liked seeing the characters take it easy and just enjoy the festive atmosphere of the Alola League's opening, but I expected something more after all the hype about Guzma and Kukui-hakase. I liked getting to know some more of Guzma's backstory at least, but the episode ended up seeming quite anti-climactic.
Yeah IDK why, maybe because their past was explained too late? Ash was great like always lol

Emelie

Bookworm
Guzma seems like he is edgy for the sake of being edgy in the anime. Kind of disappointing since he actually has a lot of depth in the games like his sad backstory involving his abusive father and his relationship with Lusamine who used him for selfish reasons.

Team Skull are kind of implied to be homeless and have alcohol problems when you reach Po Town in the games (the bottles and the passed out members on the floor).

But I suppose I can understand why they thought that was too hardcore for the anime which is supposed to focus on comedy and be appropriate for younger viewers.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
In essence, Ash isn't motivated purely by the desire to be the best in the region. He's fighting because he wants to have fun with his friends and his adoptive father-figure.

He's come to love Alola and the people in it, and he refuses to back down to someone who selfishly thinks the League doesn't exist because he doesn't like it.

Ash continues to be a good boy™ in SM. I truly hope this is retained in the next series.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
In essence, Ash isn't motivated purely by the desire to be the best in the region. He's fighting because he wants to have fun with his friends and his adoptive father-figure.

He's come to love Alola and the people in it, and he refuses to back down to someone who selfishly thinks the League doesn't exist because he doesn't like it.

Ash continues to be a good boy™ in SM. I truly hope this is retained in the next series.
Poor Furfrou guy had to deal with no-nonsense XY Ash.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

Like gf anime writers will remove that aspect of satoshi in mext season.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Team Skull grunts are really the punching bags in this episode. They are losing against Ash, Kiawe, Hau, Gladion and TRio, then their leader Guzma came to warn Kukui that he's going to ruin the Alolan league that latter set up. Yeah, he's also on edge. I guess he would be a different character without his constant grin and rage.

Of course the girls had to shop because this is what the writers want them to do, even though they saw some Skull grunts vandalizing the Royal Mask poster until Officer Jenny push them away. Lillie's in her Z-powered outfit, which I haven't seen it since the Mother beast arc and fits for the crowded place surrounding the Alola league.

I like the bromance relationship between Rowlet and Decidueye just like the sister-like relationship with Lana's then-Popplio with Ida's Primarina. It's huge contrast compared to XY's Chespin where it got scared to face the Kalos starters final forms.

Anyways, decent episode. It shows some of the biggest players participating at the league like Hau, Gladion and Llima. Btw, the random girls going crazy for Llima is getting old.